Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things to See on Sunset Boulevard in Disney's Hollywood Studios

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things to See on Sunset Boulevard in Disney's Hollywood Studios

My Disney Top 5 - Things to See on Sunset Boulevard in Disney's Hollywood Studios by Chris Barry

Chris continues his tour of Hollywood Studios by paying a visit to Sunset Boulevard

Read it here!

Last edited by stan4d_steph; 08-03-2018 at 07:18 AM.

2. # ADS

Disney Animation Fan

I would swap 1 and 2. Tower of Terror is one of Disney's best attractions, bar none. I love the Fantasmic show, but Anaheim is closer to me and has a slightly better version, so I do not prioritize it when I am in Florida.

You challenged me to not be impressed by Fantasmic and I will take on that challenge. Never really cared for it. My wife likes it and we go once in awhile but I don't see what all the hub bub is about. But that is the great thing about WDW. Enough variety to keep everybody occupied. I don't worry too much that Sunset Boulevard doesn't have a lot of good food choices. When we go to Hollywood Studies we usually have at least one meal at the Brown Derby. We love that place. One of our top 5 at WDW.
    I agree with you that showing WDW to people who have never been and seeing their faces during and after certain attractions is priceless. Thanks again for taking the time to write down your 5 series. Good food for thought.

Count me as another person who isn't all that impressed with Fantasmic!. It's fun and I like the soundtrack, but our family rarely hangs around for it at the Studios. I doubt we've seen in for at least five years. Part of it is simply dealing with the crowds afterwards, but part of it is the uncomfortable seats and long wait.

Sunset Boulevard used to be my personal favorite part of the Studios. I love thrill rides, so both the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and the Tower of Terror were on my must-do list, and the shopping used to be phenomenal along there. Back problems have forced me to give up most of the thrill rides, though, so I only go on the Tower of Terror maybe once every three or four years -- usually if we have guests with us who aren't family -- and I haven't been on the Rock 'n' Roller Coasters since we went to Disneyland Paris several years ago (where it wasn't nearly as good as Florida's version).

Sadly, even the shopping on Sunset Boulevard isn't very good anymore. The all-time greatest store ever, Villians in Vogue, lost most of its "villain" theming several years back, and then they did away with the name altogether. The stores on the other side of the street used to have great merchandise, too, but then they seemed to just fill them with the same generic merchandise you can find in every other store.

Not a fan of the Beauty and the Beast show, either. I find it uncomfortably loud, and it certainly lacks appeal among the rest of my family, who haven't wanted to see it in more than a decade.

Probably our favorite part of Sunset Boulevard in recent years is the food. Anaheim Produce, Fairfax Fare, Cantina Eddie's, Hollywood Scoops, Rosie's -- all places we enjoy for a counter-service meal or snack. Other than that, our family doesn't spend much time along Sunset Boulevard anymore. I guess we should enjoy it while it's still relatively quiet, because I'm sure the Studios is going to be packed to capacity for quite a few years after Star Wars Land opens...

They could knock it down and build something else there and I probably wouldn't complain.
    Yup, sacrilege! I do enjoy RRC and you are right that I would have placed it above the sign (and probably the Carthay shop). I wont' argue if it's better than ToT or Fantasmic!, but I would definitely consider those the top 3 for the area.

I'm not a huge fan of Fantasmic! at DHS, but I think that is driven by my history with the show. My first trip to any Disney park as an adult was when I visited DL in 2010 while on a work assignment after not having been since 1990. On that visit I saw Fantasmic!, and not knowing anything of any nighttime entertainment other than fireworks and the Electrical Parade before that (having seen both of those at DL in 1982 and 1990 as a kid), I was totally blown away! To me, the integration of the show within the regular area of Rivers of America (including the use of one or both of the huge boats - which you may have actually taken a ride on earlier in the day!) makes it more special. (and the current Dragon is obviously also quite a bit more impressive at DL - though I seem to recall my first viewing was very lucky as it was when "Murphy" was still going through teething problems - I think it broke down the night after I saw it!) If I had never experienced the DL version, I am sure I would enjoy the DHS version a bit more. I do enjoy it, but it's not a "must do" for any given trip (especially since it competes with being in a decent spot to see the Star Wars fireworks for the last couple of years). I will give the seating situation a "plus" for the DHS version though.

As for food, I often enjoyed getting a simple breakfast sandwich at Fairfax Fare before the Trolley Car Cafe opened (I'm not a coffee drinker, so needing to wait in a common line with all of the masses getting their Starbucks fix is not attractive to me, though I admit the line was not too bad the last times I was there). It was nice having a simple place to go that was not actually a shared part of a Starbucks. It seemed like this location closed for breakfast once Trolley Car opened, but I believe I've seen a report lately of possibly being able to get breakfast there again, so maybe it has changed. (or it is entirely possible it's always been a seasonal thing, and I just don't know the seasons it is open for breakfast) Most of the other offerings I agree are somewhat generic. While I have no problem eating there if other options are closed early (talking to you, PizzeRizzo! ) or crowded enough that I want to avoid them.

I do like the B&tB show here. Aside from the small negative of it being essentially outside (though decently covered for all but the worst rain storms, IMO), I enjoy it far more than the Little Mermaid show.
    -Dave

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    I would swap 1 and 2. Tower of Terror is one of Disney's best attractions, bar none. I love the Fantasmic show, but Anaheim is closer to me and has a slightly better version, so I do not prioritize it when I am in Florida.
    It's a commitment to see Fantasmic. They've also complicated it in my opinion on certain nights by having the Star Wars fireworks at 10 and Fantasmic at 10:30. Not really enough time to go get good Fantasmic seats if you want to try and see both.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    You challenged me to not be impressed by Fantasmic and I will take on that challenge. Never really cared for it. My wife likes it and we go once in awhile but I don't see what all the hub bub is about. But that is the great thing about WDW. Enough variety to keep everybody occupied. I don't worry too much that Sunset Boulevard doesn't have a lot of good food choices. When we go to Hollywood Studies we usually have at least one meal at the Brown Derby. We love that place. One of our top 5 at WDW.
    I agree with you that showing WDW to people who have never been and seeing their faces during and after certain attractions is priceless. Thanks again for taking the time to write down your 5 series. Good food for thought.
    Your very welcome Chuck and I agree, there's plenty for everyone to see at WDW. I still haven't eaten at The Brown Derby. It's on the list though.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by davidgra View Post
    Count me as another person who isn't all that impressed with Fantasmic!. It's fun and I like the soundtrack, but our family rarely hangs around for it at the Studios. I doubt we've seen in for at least five years. Part of it is simply dealing with the crowds afterwards, but part of it is the uncomfortable seats and long wait.

Sunset Boulevard used to be my personal favorite part of the Studios. I love thrill rides, so both the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and the Tower of Terror were on my must-do list, and the shopping used to be phenomenal along there. Back problems have forced me to give up most of the thrill rides, though, so I only go on the Tower of Terror maybe once every three or four years -- usually if we have guests with us who aren't family -- and I haven't been on the Rock 'n' Roller Coasters since we went to Disneyland Paris several years ago (where it wasn't nearly as good as Florida's version).

Sadly, even the shopping on Sunset Boulevard isn't very good anymore. The all-time greatest store ever, Villians in Vogue, lost most of its "villain" theming several years back, and then they did away with the name altogether. The stores on the other side of the street used to have great merchandise, too, but then they seemed to just fill them with the same generic merchandise you can find in every other store.

Not a fan of the Beauty and the Beast show, either. I find it uncomfortably loud, and it certainly lacks appeal among the rest of my family, who haven't wanted to see it in more than a decade.

Probably our favorite part of Sunset Boulevard in recent years is the food. Anaheim Produce, Fairfax Fare, Cantina Eddie's, Hollywood Scoops, Rosie's -- all places we enjoy for a counter-service meal or snack. Other than that, our family doesn't spend much time along Sunset Boulevard anymore. I guess we should enjoy it while it's still relatively quiet, because I'm sure the Studios is going to be packed to capacity for quite a few years after Star Wars Land opens...
    I did love Villains in Vogue. It's missed for sure. Sorry, can't get behind the food on Sunset Blvd. Theme park food at best.

Chris, I couldn't agree more with your comments about DHS and Sunset Boulevard. For me, Sunset Boulevard is the #1 reason to visit what is also my least favorite park. We'll see what DHS becomes over the next few years, but for now this area (along with the new Toy Story area) is about the only reason to visit the park.

I'd have to put Twilight Zone and Rock'n Roller Coaster are 1 and 2 in this area (and in the park as a whole), and I'm not as big of a fan of Fantasmic and Beauty and the Beast, both of which we actually skipped on our most recent trip. Rock'n Roller Coaster fills a huge need at WDW as a true thrill ride that appeals to those who like this type of thing (the only comparable ride is Expedition Everest in AK) Disney's two latest coasters (Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Slinky Dog) are nicely themed, fun rides, but they certainly don't qualify as thrill rides.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jms1969 View Post
    Chris, I couldn't agree more with your comments about DHS and Sunset Boulevard. For me, Sunset Boulevard is the #1 reason to visit what is also my least favorite park. We'll see what DHS becomes over the next few years, but for now this area (along with the new Toy Story area) is about the only reason to visit the park.

I'd have to put Twilight Zone and Rock'n Roller Coaster are 1 and 2 in this area (and in the park as a whole), and I'm not as big of a fan of Fantasmic and Beauty and the Beast, both of which we actually skipped on our most recent trip. Rock'n Roller Coaster fills a huge need at WDW as a true thrill ride that appeals to those who like this type of thing (the only comparable ride is Expedition Everest in AK) Disney's two latest coasters (Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Slinky Dog) are nicely themed, fun rides, but they certainly don't qualify as thrill rides.
    We actually thought Slinky was a lot more thrilling than we ever expected. Certainly not an Everest but I think it's much, much more than the Seven Dwarfs.