Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Walt Disney's EPCOT '66 Film Debut

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Walt Disney's EPCOT '66 Film Debut

Walt Disney's EPCOT '66 Film Debut by Jim Korkis

Jim looks at the special movie that was It was filmed just six days before Walt was diagnosed with cancer.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Thanks for the article, Jim. I have only one small quibble. I think (and I'm relying on memory here) that Walt in the film actually identified E.P.C.O.T. as "the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow" the first time he said it. He changed later on to "Community", but he got it wrong that first time.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

We are both right!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Thanks for the article, Jim. I have only one small quibble. I think (and I'm relying on memory here) that Walt in the film actually identified E.P.C.O.T. as "the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow" the first time he said it. He changed later on to "Community", but he got it wrong that first time.
    Don't you love it when it turns out that BOTH people are right? You are right that he used the word "City" before he said the actual word Epcot but I am right in the quote I used where after he says the word Epcot for the first time and explains what it means, he uses the word "community". It is at the 10:41 mark or so on the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLCHg9mUBag

Dan, I have always loved that you have kept a eye on my writing to make sure I am as accurate as possible. Hope you enjoyed all that other stuff that has never been in print before. Yes, originally Walt intended to use the word "city" for the project but as it developed he saw that it was much larger than even he had initially planned. By the way, I mention Gruen in the article. Perhaps I should have identified him as well as the father of the American mall (an honor he hated in later years because people had turned it into a retail location where he envisioned more of a community center with post office, etc.).

You are, of course, correct. But hey, as you said, I am too!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor