Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: I made it! Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    Great news, congratulations! Having an AP while living nearby is awesome. When you're driving, make sure you carry plenty of transportation cards!
    It's funny, but after decades of planning trips and researchjng and spending time here, I only just today found out about transportations cards; I had no idea what you were talking about. By the way, some drivers still have some of the older cards that you can't get anymore, so make sure you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    Wow, Pete! I missed your whole transition from civilian to cast member, I guess I just didn’t read this thread for a while. I’m glad that you got out of a bad situation and found a better solution.
    My oldest went thru Traditions a few years ago and she was totally thrilled with the whole experience. And yes the hug with the Big Guy was her very favorite part and pretty much the only specific part she told us about.
    Enjoy it all!
    It was a lot of fun. It makes you feel special, and part of something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethemouse View Post
    Congrats, Pete! I haven't been on Mouseplanet too much lately, so I just saw your recent updates.

I'm very happy for you that you have been able to "live the dream!"

I'll be looking for bus drivers named Petey when I'm there in December. If I see you I'll say hi!
    Please do!

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd0 View Post
    Great news, enjoy learning all about your new job!
    Thanks, Daisy. By the way, my late Beagle was called Daisy, so your posts always cheer me up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    Were you able to stand in the red spot directly under the center of the castle in the main utilidor? More of a rectangle, if I recall correctly...
    You know, I do remember being told that, but didn't have the presence of mind to notice the shape of the indicator; I was too excited. It was a bit different than I was expecting, the utilidor, but for those who have yet to see it, I'll leave it to your imagination until you get the opportunity to see it yourself.

My time at Disney Univerity ended with me getting my uniform, so tomorrow it is bus training time! Just like Sponge Bob, I'm ready!

A few more tidbits I learned: notice the flags on the boats, the water taxis, the smaller ones; their color indicates where they go. In the 7 Seas Lagoon, red flags mean the boat is coming from or returning to the Wilderness Lodge (red for redwoods); the gold flags indicate boats bound for or back to the Grand Floridian and Polynesian (the "gold" standard of the resorts); and green indicates the Fort Wilderness campground (green for the trees).

On the Sassagoula, which in Native American means little Mississippi, the boats from Disney Springs that go to the resorts on the waterway have their own meanings: a red flag is used on boats that are just servicing the Disney Springs area (red for Retail, Entertainment, and Dining); green flagged boats go to Old Key West (green for Key Lime Pie), purple goes to the French Quarter, and Gold goes to Riverside (gold and purple for Mardi Gras). Anytime you see multi-colored flags, it means they go to more than one destination.

Back at the 7 Seas Lagoon, the larger boats, the transports, have colors that correspond to their namesakes. Green is for the Jim Fowler (green is a fowl color, or as I prefer to remember it, green for the mallard duck, a fowl); General Cotter's color is blue, but the CM couldn't remember why (I'll need to read up on it; perhaps he was in the Navy), and I can't remember who is the namesake for the red-striped ship; some of you may know, and for sure the internets will.

Just a little extra info that some of you may already know.

Oh, and one more nugget. If you or anyone in your party needs to sit on the bus, even if you or they are not in a scooter or wheel chair, just line up in the same area that the scooter and wheel chair folks do. No judgement. I wish I had known that. My poor step-dad has really bad legs but he always stood on the bus because few would offer their seat, and/or because he always offered his seat to others.

Time for bed. An early start for me tomorrow.
    Last edited by petesimac; 11-12-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Shouldn't have used a CM's name.
    1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

2. # ADS

Glad I can brighten your day with my name. And my late beagle was called Molly. BTW, what is a transportation card anyway?

Love the tip about being able to wait in the wheelchair area if you need to sit. My mom has bad knees too.

Blog Entries

Best wishes tomorrow!

~Katrina

I barely found out about the transpo cards maybe two years ago, if that. On the last two trips I actually hit the jackpot with three times. One bus driver gave me a good number including three retired buses from the last series. One monorail guy and lady gave me almost all of the monorails and on the last trip a couple of ferry dudes gave me like 12 watercraft cards. I have about half of the third series and about a third of the new one.

I really loved working at MK. We would go downstairs and eat in the cast cafe at cost when hanging out in the park. Seems like it was about $2.50 for a chicken sammich and a coke, but that was 1992... And getting to ride Splash 48 times before it opened, and a special walking tour through it, etc. Good times.

I never knew about the transportation cards either. Something new to do when we go back back in May!

Missing Disneyland, but looking forward to Disney World!

They have them for buses, monorails, and watercraft (including the nightly water pageant on Bay Lake). Someone said they now also include parking lot trams but I haven't seen any of those cards if so. Just another cool freebie must people don't know about

So these transportation cards are something akin to a trading card, and they can be obtained by asking for them from the driver/captain of the boat/but/whatever transportation you are on?

huh - learn something new everyday!

Mrs. Slocombe is my spirit animal

www.snortrescue.org

Exactly! Free for the asking. You might have better luck early in the day as they can run out and some folks don't carry them. Totally voluntary on the CM's part.

Okay, so tomorrow is a key day: my CDL test. I have to do a pre-trip inspection, a skills test that comprises three separate driving skills, and a road test. It's not impossible to pass, but when nerves kick in, weird things happen, so please send me all of your positive vibes so that I can squeak by this thing.

Timing is crucial because my mom is near death, already in a coma, and could pass at any time, so to preserve my spot on the roster, I'm really hoping to pass the test tomorrow and then be available to help my step-father take care of all the details.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

You got this, pete!

Dan

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

It'll be a cake walk, Petey! No problem.

Very sorry about your mother. You can never be ready for that inevitable date.

Best of luck on your driving test tomorrow!

Very sorry to hear of the situation with your mom.

-Dave

Pixie dust to Petey, our favorite Disney bus driver!

Sorry to hear about your moms situation.

Best of luck on your test. So sorry to hear about your mom.

Well something worked, because I drove like a pro! Passed with flying colors. Thanks for all the wishes and pixie dust!

Bitttersweet, though, because later in the day I was informed that my mom passed away shortly after my test was over. Im taking a week off to help my step-father deal with the aftermath, and thankfully it will not jeopardize my position. Ill lose a weeks wages, but Im thinking long-term here, so at least the job is secure.

I still have a check-out day in about two weeks time after I get back; thats to make sure I know my way around the property. I feel pretty confident Ill be able to manage that.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

See you after my check-out ride unless some other juicy tid-bit comes along that I feel I have to relate.

TTFN!

Congratulations on the test, Pete, we knew you'd be fine. And my condolences on the other news.

Bittersweet for sure. But congratulations on driving like a pro, we all had full confidence in you. I’m sure your mom is smiling down on you and proud of you.

I made it! Finally!

Congrats on the test. And so sorry for your loss.

Shawn
    Past Trips: 2006-POR; 2008-POP; 2009-CBR; 2010-VB/AKV Kidani; 2010-BLT; 2011-BWV; 2011-AKV Kidani; 2013-BCV/BLT; 2014-AKL Jambo (Concierge); 2015-SSR/OKW; 2016 BCV/AKV Kidani; 2018 BWV

Blog Entries

Wow Pete, yesterday was quite a day for you. Congratulations on doing so well on the test. Sorry for the loss of your mom.

~Katrina

My prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. Congrats on passing your test; hope to have you as a driver during my late January early February trip.

So sorry for your loss. Congratulations on passing your test. Its really nice that you can take the time to help your stepfather. I am sure your mother is so proud of you and happy for you

Thanks all. My moms passing has been much easier than my wifes just over 20 years ago; the latter was sudden, whereas my mom suffered for years with a progressively worsening dimentia. I grieved as she faded from a bright, articulate, accomplished person into a confused, word-challenged patient. The last year was the toughest as she lost all ability to communicate effectively. Tony is taking it very hard, and probably will soon follow her.

Now to memorize all the bus stops and their pick-up order. I promise to not make too many mistakes, but if my bus is full when I stop at your loading zone because I went somewhere else first, I humbly apologize. Im ready to get back to my training. I start back up again this Sunday afternoon.

I hate that I missed out on audience control at Disney Springs, but at least I didnt miss any driving training.

Thanks again, all. Hope to see you at the parks soon. If I do a good job, remember to mention my name, Petey, to guest relations. If I do a poor job, just call me Dave. Lol.

Enjoying a Passholders event at Disney Springs (free Hummingbird cake samples from Homecoming and other treats), and now dining at The Rdison to try their Impossible Burger. Back to the buses tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Enjoying a Passholders event at Disney Springs (free Hummingbird cake samples from Homecoming and other treats), and now dining at The Rdison to try their Impossible Burger. Back to the buses tomorrow.
    Sounds like fun. I love the hummingbird cake 🎂