Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I made it! Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    About everything you said!
    Haha, I think I'll keep watching for a while, but it's becoming just one of the same crisis after another. They've lost the humorous element.

On a lighter note, I think we're at 34 days!

2. # ADS

It's kinda formulaic now - they start out with a case that's easy to win, then something goes wrong, and at the last minute someone comes up with a solution. They don't even really explain what's going on - "Hey, remember 8 years ago when we worked on the Ryman case? That would work now!" I still watch out of habit, but it's not nearly as good as it used to be.

Dan

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Feels weird not to be in the parks tonight, but Ill try to give myself a break. I think next weekend well hit AK; it has been way too long since I last had a slice of the glorious mango pie. Despite Avatarland, which I still dont like l, even though it is undeniably beautiful, its still not a full day park for me.

The following week will see us back at EPCOT, but that Friday we may go back to HS; I need to ride slinky again. So much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Feels weird not to be in the parks tonight, but Ill try to give myself a break. I think next weekend well hit AK; it has been way too long since I last had a slice of the glorious mango pie. Despite Avatarland, which I still dont like l, even though it is undeniably beautiful, its still not a full day park for me.

The following week will see us back at EPCOT, but that Friday we may go back to HS; I need to ride slinky again. So much fun!
    You're enjoying this way too much.

I really am!

Visited MK Saturday afternoon and waited in a long line for 7 Dwarves; its the only way to ride it, and I didnt feel like doing the rope drop. In the end, its just not worth it. I cant quite understand why this is considered the break-out ride at MK. Maybe because most everyone can ride it. On the other hand, we had an excellent ride on Big Thunder, and that is most definitely worth a wait, although we walked right on thanks to a fast pass.

Found an even shorter route to the parks, entering the resort from just behind the MK. Ill get pictures the next time, but the castle looks so short from the back. When I start working there, this will be my route; the main employee parking lot is back here. Its less than 16 miles to MK from my house using this route, although 21 moles to Animal Kingdom.

Which is where we went today. Great journey on EE, which is a ride I have avoided lately, but conquering Mission Space a few weeks ago gave me the courage to try it and it truly is a fun ride. Saw a bunch of cool critters on the safari, lots of babies, and even discovered that Flight of the Banshee is actually a pretty nice attraction. I still dont like Avatar, but it is impossible to deny that it is a marvel of an attraction. We had to wait in stand-by (again, no chance for FP here), but the 45-minute wait was well worth it.

Got wet on the rapids, and took a boat ride through Avatar-land. My son had some Mac and cheese with pulled pork at the Flame Tree, and I enjoyed their maple-banana cake. Later we, of course, had a slice each of the mango pie from Yak and Yeti, although next time well probably opt for the smaller pies at a nearby walk-up: way too pricey and not much bigger than the smaller cousin and almost twice as expensive.

Next time I think well eat in Avatar-land. I had seen write-ups on the food, but sort of poo-poohed the notion of eating there. It looks pretty good, and a nice change from most of the other fare at AK.

I have decided to throw caution to the wind and start working for WDW sooner, so poorly is my job with the sheriffs office going. While it is not my preferred job (resort front desk being what I truly want), they are offering a sign-on bonus for bus drivers, so Ive applied. While the rate of pay will be getting steadily higher over the next few years, thanks to the new contract signed by union members, topping out at $15 an hour for the lowest starting rate, the rate for bus drivers is substantially higher, approaching $20 by the time the starting rate reaches $15. I realize that is far below what most of you get, and it is significantly lower that what I make now, but Im counting on overtime to help bridge the gap, and maybe a bit of belt-tightening.

Its a rash decision, but I deserve to be happy in my work, and Im miserable where I am now. More than anything, Im worried about the Altzheimers that my mom is dealing with spreading to me via genetics, and one of the major contributing factors to the on-set of symptoms is stress. I need to find a way to avoid it as much as possible. Disney May be, hopefully will be, the answer. The idea may crash and burn but lets find out. Ive just submitted my application. Ill keep you posted.

Again, I apologize for these hit and run messages instead of a proper account, but. perhaps Ill be able to take the time to share my experience of going to work for Disney as I go through the process.

As always, watch this space!

Sounds great, keep us posted! I stayed for far too long in a crappy job situation because we were friends, but then I realized I was miserable and we weren't really friends any more and left. Haven't spoken to her since I quit end of Feb 17 and the last text I got from him last August was an insult (because of course his dear psychotic wife couldn't be at fault) and I didn't reply. There goes thirty years of friendship! Much better off now anyway. So do what makes you happy.

23 days, so let us know if we might get you as a bus driver, I still need a few transportation cards for my collection...

Nice report on the recent adventures! I would guess multiple things about SDMT cause the hype. While maybe not continuously noticeable during the ride the "swaying" the cars supposedly do from side to side was a big thing they were hyping before the opening. The new animatronics too, though I personally am not sure I like the projected face models. True they can do many more facial expressions with it, but to me the reality that it's a movie shown from the inside of a fancy fish bowl doesn't thrill me all that much (that might have been slightly harsh - but maybe not ).

The food at Satu'li Canteen in Pandora is pretty good. I've had the cheeseburger pods and also the "build a meal" where you pick protein, etc. I liked each. The snack stand is decent too, I think.

Sorry to hear your job situation you moved there for didn't turn out better, but I am glad to hear you are dealing with it so well, and that you are pursuing your end goal that made you decide to move down there in the first place. I guess those of us who drive around the resort during visits know who to ask for tips as the new traffic modifications all come to completion

-Dave

Best of luck with the application process. Hope to have you as a bus driver the next time I visit!

Well, Ive applied and made it through the preliminary checks and have a phone interview set for October 1st, but I wish it was much sooner.

Ive had jobs like this (the bad one Im in now) in the past, and regardless of the income, happiness and job satisfaction have to be there for any long-term employment. Both previous times I left and found much better situations. Hopefully this time will be no exception.

You can change jobs once youve been on the payroll for six months, so once I reach that mark Ill be looking for openings at one of the resorts (Id love French Quarter!), but who knows, maybe Ill love driving the iconic Disney busses so much I wont want to leave!

Hey! All my apostrophes disappeared. Sorry.

And Dave, yeah, I agree its fun, for the short time you are actually going, but its just not worth any stand-by line greater than about 20 minutes in my opinion. I certainly wont ever wait again. And yes, the build your own protein meal was the one I saw that interested me most. Next visit for sure.

Thanks, Daisy.