Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things to See in the Animation Courtyard at Hollywood Studios

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things to See in the Animation Courtyard at Hollywood Studios

My Disney Top 5 - Things to See in the Animation Courtyard at Disney's Hollywood Studios by Chris Barry

Chris continues his tour of Hollywood Studios by checking out the Animation Courtyard.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Have to admit...this whole area is spoiled for me by memories of what used to be here and by the lack of coherent theming. I can't walk through it without remembering how fun the park used to be when it was an actual working studio (both for live filming and animation). Most of the rest of the park looks and feels so much different than it used to that I can begin to get into what the park has become, and is becoming, but this area still largely looks the same and it just feels so obviously repurposed that it represents this whole issue for me. While I do enjoy most of the top three items on your list that you mentioned (especially the Little Mermaid show, which is nicely done), I start my experience in each with the depressing feeling what was in the park before was better.

My issue with DHS, since the transition from the early days, has always been that it has some of the best attractions of any Disney Park, but has the worst overall theming and cohesion. Hopefully, the Toy Story area and upcoming Star Wars area will allow this park to complete this long, painful transition and become something truly special. However, I can't help but feel that a major redo of this entire area will be a necessary part of this process.

Hey Chris, thanks again for jogging my memory and getting me to think back to when we got to see the artists working. It was very cool but we had no idea it was not going to be an ongoing attraction. We got to experience it a couple times. Very grateful for that opportunity.
    And One Man's Dream is an amazing testament to the American Dream. What an incredible man and all before computers/cell phones. We love the time we get to spend in that exhibit and kudos to the Disney folks who put it together and manage it. We never get tired of seeing his dream played out.
    I guess I am kind of weird too. I like Hollywood Studios, mainly because we could leave the madhouse of Magic Kingdom and go to HS and feel like we had some breathing room. And of course we love that walk from the Crescent Lake resort hotels to HS.
    But it looks like HS is going to be the place to be for awhile. Maybe the Magic Kingdom will be a little less crowded? Maybe the World Showcase crowds will be a little thinner? Maybe after the Star Wars things open we can ride the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train ten times in a row? Stay on the Frozen ride all day long? Soarin' for hours at a time? Or maybe, Star Wars geeks who never come to WDW will now come and make the crowds even worse!! Oh well, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Thanks for getting my mind all wound up Chris.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jms1969 View Post
    Have to admit...this whole area is spoiled for me by memories of what used to be here and by the lack of coherent theming. I can't walk through it without remembering how fun the park used to be when it was an actual working studio (both for live filming and animation). Most of the rest of the park looks and feels so much different than it used to that I can begin to get into what the park has become, and is becoming, but this area still largely looks the same and it just feels so obviously repurposed that it represents this whole issue for me. While I do enjoy most of the top three items on your list that you mentioned (especially the Little Mermaid show, which is nicely done), I start my experience in each with the depressing feeling what was in the park before was better.

My issue with DHS, since the transition from the early days, has always been that it has some of the best attractions of any Disney Park, but has the worst overall theming and cohesion. Hopefully, the Toy Story area and upcoming Star Wars area will allow this park to complete this long, painful transition and become something truly special. However, I can't help but feel that a major redo of this entire area will be a necessary part of this process.
    My bet is on a redo of the whole area as well, which would be sad for sure, but let's see what they have in store. Part of me is sad about The Great Movie Ride for example, but when they are promising a game changing attraction as a replacement...I have hope.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    Hey Chris, thanks again for jogging my memory and getting me to think back to when we got to see the artists working. It was very cool but we had no idea it was not going to be an ongoing attraction. We got to experience it a couple times. Very grateful for that opportunity.
    And One Man's Dream is an amazing testament to the American Dream. What an incredible man and all before computers/cell phones. We love the time we get to spend in that exhibit and kudos to the Disney folks who put it together and manage it. We never get tired of seeing his dream played out.
    I guess I am kind of weird too. I like Hollywood Studios, mainly because we could leave the madhouse of Magic Kingdom and go to HS and feel like we had some breathing room. And of course we love that walk from the Crescent Lake resort hotels to HS.
    But it looks like HS is going to be the place to be for awhile. Maybe the Magic Kingdom will be a little less crowded? Maybe the World Showcase crowds will be a little thinner? Maybe after the Star Wars things open we can ride the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train ten times in a row? Stay on the Frozen ride all day long? Soarin' for hours at a time? Or maybe, Star Wars geeks who never come to WDW will now come and make the crowds even worse!! Oh well, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Thanks for getting my mind all wound up Chris.
    Happy to wind up your mind Chuck.

I've often said that the Studios is my least favorite park but I do see what you're saying. I've spent some very uncrowded days and nights there. Once Star Wars opens, it's safe to say those days will be over. But, I'll be there crowds and all for Star Wars. I can't wait.