Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Reason NOT to take a Disney Cruise (trip insurance refund hassles)

Blog Entries

Reason NOT to take a Disney Cruise (trip insurance refund hassles)

In 2013 we took a Disney Cruise to Alaska, and everyone in my family agrees it was our best holiday ever.

This summer we were going to take a Disney cruise in Europe as part of a longer vacation, but my mother-in-law has been hospitalized and my wife as been back to NYC (from L.A.) several times to help care for her. We cancelled our trip to Europe including the cruise because we didn't want to risk having to fly back from Europe. I'd purchased the Disney Cruise trip insurance (over $400 I think), but it has been a real pain for us to fill out the forms because we're thousands of miles from a physician who has been taking care of her. It's not impossible, but again it's really been a pain. The letter from the physician we did get has not been enough because he didn't include the dates he cared for her.

​​​​​​​Eventually we'll get to Europe, but we won't be taking a Disney Cruise again.

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

Update: I posted this on another Disney page (WDW Magic) after I posted it here and three people already wrote back with comments. Apparently doctors do this all the time, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to get a doctor to fill out the form.

I did get a note from a doctor based on what an insurance rep told me over the phone, only to learn that the letter I obtained was insufficient. The doctor needed to specify that he treated her BEFORE we cancelled our cruise and list the dates he's treated her. I think this is a bureaucratic annoyance, though everyone I've spoken with at the insurance company has been pleasant, and the last person I spoke with assured me that there's no deadline for me to get the refund. Still, cancelling a Disney Cruise and having a sick, beloved relative are both depressing experiences, so I wish getting this refund were more convenient.

Although it's inconvenient, be very very glad you have travel insurance so that you are not losing all the funds associated with this travel! It's definitely worth the hassle to get your money back! Best wishes for your mother-in-law's recovery....and who knows? You might find yourself on a Disney ship in the future...never say never!

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, you are saying that you would not do another Disney cruise because of the insurance hassle?
    1) Sounds like typical insurance hassles that you would have with any insurance carrier for any trip being covered, regardless of who you would be cruising with
    and 2)How is that DCL's fault since trip insurance is done via a third party provider.

Not trying to be snarky on this, especially in light of the related health issues, but I think your beef should be with that trip insurance carrier. For future trips, you dont have to go with the carrier that Disney offers.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    . . . For future trips, you dont have to go with the carrier that Disney offers.
    Thanks! Good to know.

Update: We received most of the refund. They sent us three checks--one for each passenger (the one for my 13-year-old was made out to "Mrs." followed by her name), but combined they were $600 short of what Disney said I would receive, so this isn't over.