Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disneyland to start selling alcohol?

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Disneyland to start selling alcohol?

"Tradition and nostalgia make a lot of money for Disney. But alcohol sales generate profit like little else in the food and beverage business. Ultimately, Disney isnt running a museum here. Its running a business, and Disney management demands that its business keeps making more and more money. Well-managed alcohol sales are helping Walt Disney World to do that. Restricting alcohol sales to table service restaurants allows the company to tap into a lucrative business without changing the walk-around culture in the park.

The argument against alcohol long has been that it isnt family-friendly. But the families visiting Disneyland these days are more likely to include multiple generations above age 21 than families with little kids. An ongoing national baby bust is reducing the percentage of visitors with small children to the nations theme parks, so Disney simply would be reacting to a changing market by expanding alcohol sales in its parks."

Full article here.

Karin

2. # ADS

But the families visiting Disneyland these days are more likely to include multiple generations above age 21 than families with little kids
    Does this person that wrote that go to the parks at all? There are plenty of strollers and families with kids under 21 that say otherwise to this. I don't get why people need more though. There is enough options between DCA and DTD for those that want to drink. I think we could do without it in Disneyland. Besides....more is NOT always better.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

I get that alcohol is readily available in DCA, but I was frankly appalled at some of the realities of what this means "on the ground". For example, Bayside Brews hadn't even opened for the day, and yet there was a lineup 5 deep. Really? People NEED a beer before 11AM? That was on top of being nearly run-over by a man attempting to steer an ECV one-handed while holding a beer in his other hand. Really? A group of young adults were swigging their beers in the line for Screamin, and were plenty rowdy already, so clearly not their first beers. As they got towards the stairs, they decided to pour out what was left into the planters. As someone who is scent-sensitive, I struggled to avoid the gag-reflex that threatened me. It had been bad enough standing close to this beer-soaked crew throughout the queue line, but then the odor of warm beer as we waited near the planters.... suffice it to say I needed a LOT of fresh air after that ride!

I freely admit that my alcohol consumption is limited to the odd cooler or hard lemonade. So yes, I may have a bit of consumer bias... I don't need alcohol in my system to relax or to increase my enjoyment of an event or a place. I really don't understand why it is present in the parks in free-roaming format. I have NO problem with alcohol being served in the park at sit-down restaurants, but it really doesn't need to be out in the general arena, does it?

Faith Trust and Pixie Dust!
    Disneyland '85, '90, '00 and DLR '05, '10, '13, '14 and 2017

Tinker44, wow about the people lined up like that. I admit I do like a beer or good drink once in awhile with a meal but its not something I NEED. Considering I go to the parks with my kids and am the one responsible for them, there is no way I will even have one drink. Yet I also don't need it to have fun either like it seems is a reason for some (I know not all). I have seen parents pushing babies/toddlers in strollers where not just the parent pushing the stroller had 2 drinks (one in each hand) but the other parent had 2 as well. As you said those with EVC and they are suppose to be in control of it. Imagine these things in the tight spaces in Disneyland and how that can end up? No thanks. Plus, think of how many more guests will end up coming to the parks over the years to come and how heated some get as it is now in the parks when in crowds.....throw alcohol more into the mix and it can make it so much worse. When I see some in the parks looking a bit on the drunk side (to put it nicely) I just hope they are staying in a hotel or at the very least not the one driving home or at least not driving anytime soon.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker44 View Post
    .............. I really don't understand why it is present in the parks in free-roaming format. I have NO problem with alcohol being served in the park at sit-down restaurants, but it really doesn't need to be out in the general arena, does it?
    Not that I disagreed with any of the rest of your post, but I think this part is pretty much key. The 2 incidents I remember seeing (not in person, but on line reports/videos) was some dummy at ToT in DCA once, and then the famous incident with a moron in EPC deciding to climb something that should never be climbed somewhere between one and two years back.

While I obviously don't know for sure how those 2 people were drinking, I sort of doubt it was by ordering 3 or 4 drinks at Carthay Circle or at any of the EPC restaurants. I have a strong feeling it was likely kiosk/quick serve areas, with quite a few drinks involved.

I have to admit I do occasionally sample the more unique alcohol based concoctions they may offer at a Food and Wine type event at the kiosks, but I'm responsible about it, never more than one or 2 over the course of several hours of strolling the park, and always combined with the yummy food offerings too!.
    -Dave

I was there during that climbing incident. It was during F&W and the W&D half. I dont think that not having alcohol in a particular park will prevent people from making fools of themselves. I think most people drink responsibly. I dont think actions of a few should determine whether or not they should or shouldnt sell alcohol.

I enjoy alcohol drinks when I am at the resort, however I have noticed the last few years that there are groups of young adults in DCA that are really drunk. Lately I do not mind that Disneyland is dry since I do not notice the same level of drunkenness that I do at DCA. If I really want a drink at lunch or dinner we will go to DTD or DCA. I counted at one point that alcohol is available to purchase at over 15 different places at DCA. Even at six flags they limit sales to one location. At DCA you can get a drink every few hundred yards. I really feel they make alcohol too available at DCA, and I would not like to see them do the same at Disneyland.

Just went to the Disney site and counted 19 different places selling alcohol at DCA. REALLY!? They need 19!? Not exactly the environment that Walt intended. In fact I think that is exactly what he did not want.

Was it not true that, in 1955 or so, Disneyland had a TOBACCO shop on Main Street?

And you don't think Walt Disney did not know this?

"It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"

Quote Originally Posted by potzbie View Post
    Was it not true that, in 1955 or so, Disneyland had a TOBACCO shop on Main Street?

And you don't think Walt Disney did not know this?
    I don't think things like this can be compared. More so when it was a VERY different way of life for people then. I doubt most people would be ok with that being on Main Street in this day and age either. Especially considering how some want the smoking sections alone gone from the parks. But look at how alcohol was back then to how it is now. Was it the norm for people to want to go out back in 1955 to get wasted as often as they could? While now its about getting wasted for some (obviously not all). Its already overkill on how many places one can literally go drink around there between all the places in DCA, DTD and the Disney hotels. So does Disneyland really need to have places in it serving alcohol too?

I don't doubt it happens, but I have never once seen someone steering an ECV with one hand while holding alcohol at DCA. I have been almost run over and actually hit by someone with a child on their lap and by a child allowed to steer at ECV. I've seen people holding phones and veering their ECV towards people with only one hand on the steering column. I've been hit more times than I can count by strollers while someone has a camera or phone in their other hand. When Disney bans babies and cell phones I'll buy the arguement that Disneyland shouldn't serve alcohol.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

its definitely a slippery slope that Disneyland resort is already sliding on with DCA. The lines for beer are sometimes longer than some lesser attraction lines. Its ridiculous to me to think a family has come to the resort to spend time together - yet one adult MUST get a beer first while the others partake in attractions because "I gotta have it". I have heard conversations before while passing lines where adults have said things like "I need this in order to handle the whole day with my kids" nice. I really enjoy beer and wine - but I don't have to have it every single time. There is enjoyment and then there is over indulgence. Disney is not without fault here too - making it extremely convenient to get beer almost around every corner.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    its definitely a slippery slope that Disneyland resort is already sliding on with DCA. The lines for beer are sometimes longer than some lesser attraction lines. Its ridiculous to me to think a family has come to the resort to spend time together - yet one adult MUST get a beer first while the others partake in attractions because "I gotta have it". I have heard conversations before while passing lines where adults have said things like "I need this in order to handle the whole day with my kids" nice. I really enjoy beer and wine - but I don't have to have it every single time. There is enjoyment and then there is over indulgence. Disney is not without fault here too - making it extremely convenient to get beer almost around every corner.
    I've heard a couple of people comment that they need a drink because of their kids. That was much more common before DCA 2.0. But plenty of people go to the resort without family. For Disney to only cater to families who go to spend time together would be a mistake. It's really not that hard to navigate DCA and avoid alcohol or lines for alcohol or people in lines for alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I've heard a couple of people comment that they need a drink because of their kids. That was much more common before DCA 2.0. But plenty of people go to the resort without family. For Disney to only cater to families who go to spend time together would be a mistake. It's really not that hard to navigate DCA and avoid alcohol or lines for alcohol or people in lines for alcohol.
    That isn't what its about though. Its was about if Disneyland should start to sell it or not. Which I am against it with as many options there are already. Mind you the only part of DCA that doesn't seem to sell it is Bug's Land and once that turns to Marvel I will bet there will be a place or 2 selling it there. The fact is though between DCA, DTD, and Disney Hotel's there is beyond enough options to go drink if someone really must. So why does it need to be in Disneyland? More options to have another alcoholic drink is not the best thing. Not sure why anyone would think it is either. Isn't 19 places selling it in one park a bit much? Don't forget when the F&W comes there is even more then that. So when does it become to much to those that think this isn't between all the options they have now?

I also disagree about navigating around the alcohol in DCA. Its all over the place and many guests will be walking with it in hand(s) and wait in lines with it or just stink of it. Its not waiting in lines to get food at a place but the ones running around the park other guests can't avoid. You can't avoid walking by all the places that sell it and you can't avoid standing in line next to someone that is drinking or smells of it. My 16 yr old has made comments about it as well.

BTW, I think Disney does a pretty decent job of catering to all the different kinds of guests that visit.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    you are totally correct. I understand. I just don't agree with so much effort being made to incorporate alcohol sales in a lot of places. Stay focused on the mission that made the company (division) great.. not just the revenue (and yes, I understand ad nauseum that its a business).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I don't think there's anything wrong with serving alcohol in DCA and Disneyland. I've never really understood the uproar as you could always go to Downtown Disney and the hotels to get alcohol and then come back into the parks afterward. I guess that it's not as easily available that way as it's not RIGHT THERE. But I think the problem is that with the multiple places to get alcohol, there's not as much control over how much people have. Bartenders and servers in restaurants are supposed to pay attention to not over-serve a patron if they've had too much, but that's harder to monitor at multiple kiosks in DCA where someone else could be getting drinks for them. And, I'm not sure what the policy is for CMs to decline to further serve a partially intoxicated patron. I've heard some stories where the person should have definitely been cut off but wasn't, but I don't know what the circumstances were.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

I don't doubt it happens, but I have never once seen someone steering an ECV with one hand while holding alcohol at DCA.
    I have always regretted not taking a cellphone pic and actually sharing it with Guest Services, just as an awareness thing. "Hey, what are your policies regarding this type of behaviour when a guest on Disney property, who has rented an ECV from Disney... who is clearly consuming alcohol purchased on Disney property... and what happens when that guests actions result in injury or damage to others and/or property?" I'm really curious what their reaction would be.

And I re-iterate my closing point... "I really don't understand why it is present in the parks in free-roaming format. I have NO problem with alcohol being served in the park at sit-down restaurants, but it really doesn't need to be out in the general arena, does it?" Disney is going to sell alcohol on their premises... no getting around that, and I have no objection to it with the one caveat that it be controlled in a restaurant setting. And that's for everyone's safety and enjoyment of the whole park environment, DCA and Disneyland (DTD is it's own beast, methinks).

And 19 places to purchase alcohol in DCA alone? Just WOW. I didn't think it was THAT readily available!! LOL. I wonder how that compares to the # of churro carts and popcorn kiosks. Hmmm? Questions that need answering!
    Faith Trust and Pixie Dust!
    Disneyland '85, '90, '00 and DLR '05, '10, '13, '14 and 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    That isn't what its about though. Its was about if Disneyland should start to sell it or not. Which I am against it with as many options there are already. Mind you the only part of DCA that doesn't seem to sell it is Bug's Land and once that turns to Marvel I will bet there will be a place or 2 selling it there. The fact is though between DCA, DTD, and Disney Hotel's there is beyond enough options to go drink if someone really must. So why does it need to be in Disneyland? More options to have another alcoholic drink is not the best thing. Not sure why anyone would think it is either. Isn't 19 places selling it in one park a bit much? Don't forget when the F&W comes there is even more then that. So when does it become to much to those that think this isn't between all the options they have now?

I also disagree about navigating around the alcohol in DCA. Its all over the place and many guests will be walking with it in hand(s) and wait in lines with it or just stink of it. Its not waiting in lines to get food at a place but the ones running around the park other guests can't avoid. You can't avoid walking by all the places that sell it and you can't avoid standing in line next to someone that is drinking or smells of it. My 16 yr old has made comments about it as well.

BTW, I think Disney does a pretty decent job of catering to all the different kinds of guests that visit.
    I was responding to the post that I quoted about the lines for alcohol and the idea that all families are there only to spend time together or that all groups or guests are families. But to the bolded, what if Disney said they didn't think it was too much or they weren't looking for a balance for those that don't to stand in lines with people who having a drink or just this is how it is, take it or leave? Then their position would be clear, and at that point would be for them to change to please your preference or for you to figure out a way to deal with being in a park that serves alcohol?

When you walk by Flo's and Taste Pilot's do you even realize that they sell alcohol? And by that I mean, is that really the take away from Flo's or Cozy Cone, that they're one of the 19 places that sell it? It's not like the park has 19 bars. Many of the places that service it have a couple of menu items as part of a larger menu and most people who eat there don't even order it. Even when I go to the various lounges (Carthay, Alfresco, Cove before the lines started getting ridiculous) I can't think of a single time I could smell alcohol or noticed any rowdy behavior. I'm sure it happens, but it must be extremely isolated. I average about a day in the parks per week, so I wait in a lot of attraction lines, and I can only vaguely recall seeing people with drinks (outside of Food and Wine or other similar events) and I certainly have no memory of ever smelling another guest's alcohol. And the article is talking about serving beer and wine at table service restaurants, of which there are only four in Disneyland with probably only five once the new land opens. No one is suggesting that people walk around the park with it, wait in lines with it or line up for it. This whole thread seems to have a lot of hyperbole over nothing more than an editorial.

Likewise . . .
    Q. Would you be as tolerant if Disneyland had a smoke shop -- on Main Street -- selling marijuana (or "brownies")?

"It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"

Likewise . . .
    Q. Would you be as tolerant if Disneyland had a smoke shop -- on Main Street -- selling marijuana (or "brownies")?
    I suppose it depends if it were confined to smoking areas. But it's illegal to smoke or consume marijuana anywhere but a private residence, so the point is moot.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Likewise . . .
    Bad analogy since alcohol is not illegal on either a state or federal level.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...