Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Things to Do...and Not Do at the Disneyland Resort

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Things to Do...and Not Do at the Disneyland Resort

Things to Do...and Not Do at the Disneyland Resort by Jenna Kahl

Tips to keep your trip to the Happiest Place on Earth, well, happy.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

When people do let you in front of them to see better when you have little ones, Do not block their view by lifting said little one on your shoulders and block their view. (happened to me last trip at World of Color)

Do buy a churro at the tomorrowland cart near tomorrowland terrace. Best churros in the park!

You forgot to mention cute and fluffy! -- Stitch

LOL! Stroller etiquette goes both ways. Everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings and not push and jostle people, step in front of someone, or stop in the middle of the walk way. This seems to be a big issue in the morning as people are "running" to certain attractions. Sorry my stroller just hit your ankle, you literally just came out of nowhere as you navigate yourself to your destination without a care of the other thousands of people walking this direction.

Do slow down and enjoy the music around you.

Not so much a peeve, but a safety concern...

JUST KEEP WALKING!

This might seem contrary to enjoyment for some, as DL is a place you do want to soak in, but my concern stems from numerous occasions where I and/or my family were circulating from one point to the next, paying full attention to our surroundings, when someone or group in front of us decides NOW is a good time to just come to a stop. No reason. They just stop walking, as if they find themselves lost. It's worst along the path from the Hub into TL.

Know thy surroundings! Find a better place to take the 'offramp' from human circulation and allow your fellow man to continue unabated. Please?

Conversely, on the 'do' side of the ledger, if you find yourself a little confused, lost, or questioning whether a Fastpass makes more sense... Find a place to pull over and talk it out with your group. There are plenty of nooks and crannies all over the Park that are better than down the center of traffic.

My biggest "don't" these days is this: DON'T hold your phone over your head to shoot video of ANYTHING for 15 minutes. I don't mind if you hold up your phone to take a couple of photos now and again, but, for the sake of everyone standing behind you, please don't keep your phone in my line of sight for more than a few seconds at a time. Whether you're watching a parade, watching the fireworks, or you're on an attraction, just enjoy the experience. Take a couple of photos, then put the phone away.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverland Princess View Post
    When people do let you in front of them to see better when you have little ones, Do not block their view by lifting said little one on your shoulders and block their view. (happened to me last trip at World of Color)..............
    Or do the same thing when using an iPad as a video camera....

Sometimes I feel like they should issue special hats to people who intend to prop their child up on their shoulders so you can tell who they are when scoping a viewing position. (in jest , but maybe not )

Quote Originally Posted by davidgra View Post
    My biggest "don't" these days is this: DON'T hold your phone over your head to shoot video of ANYTHING for 15 minutes. I don't mind if you hold up your phone to take a couple of photos now and again, but, for the sake of everyone standing behind you, please don't keep your phone in my line of sight for more than a few seconds at a time. Whether you're watching a parade, watching the fireworks, or you're on an attraction, just enjoy the experience. Take a couple of photos, then put the phone away.
    This (or with an iPad, which is of course 5 times worse than a phone!).

Do: (I hope I am a good example here) try to keep your photo equipment such that it doesn't protrude too much from in front of your body (where it is not blocking views much more than you standing there is). I don't use a phone or iPad, but I am a photo nut with some quick point and shoot type digicams, and I do my best to try not to impact others (example: I never use a flash, especially on dark rides). My cameras that take video have tilting screens, so I often have the body of the camera roughly in front of my chin with the screen tilted up slightly so I can glance down from watching the action live and see the screen and tap it to take some stills if I feel the need to. If I am messing around trying to get a few shots using my regular still camera maybe using different settings, I will try to limit my reaching out of my personal space as suggested above.
    -Dave

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidgra View Post
    My biggest "don't" these days is this: DON'T hold your phone over your head to shoot video of ANYTHING for 15 minutes. I don't mind if you hold up your phone to take a couple of photos now and again, but, for the sake of everyone standing behind you, please don't keep your phone in my line of sight for more than a few seconds at a time.
    This is helped a lot by selfie sticks not being allowed in the parks. When they still were, people had their phones on selfie sticks to take video of fireworks and such, and it was often right in the way of something nice that you can now no longer see. At least without the aid of a selfie stick, they're less likely to do it because their arms become tired faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Sometimes I feel like they should issue special hats to people who intend to prop their child up on their shoulders so you can tell who they are when scoping a viewing position.
    Oh, this argument has been going on forever. I get that kids can't see. I think it's usually the men that are guilty of this because they don't want to have to actually hold the child. Most women sit the children on their hips, so the child can see just as well as everyone else, but they're not significantly taller than most people around. The men seem to find it easier to just plop the kid on their shoulder and then don't have to worry about anything. I know you want them to see, but your kid doesn't have to be 2 feet taller than everyone else to be able to see. And meanwhile, the guy who's a couple of inches taller than me that I was standing behind is now 8 feet tall, and the view is now blocked for quite a few of us.

Couple more things to keep in mind:

Like with strollers, wheelchairs (whether motorized or manual) cannot stop on a dime. Don't be mad if you get hit by someone in a wheelchair because you've just stepped right in front of them. They're trying not to run anyone over or hit anyone but if you pop up without warning, there's only so much they can do. And, just because they've left 2 inches between them and the person in front of them does not mean that's your cue to fill in that space to try to get ahead. Again, they're just trying not to hit anyone. And, someone in a wheelchair is also not an obstacle course that your kid can use or something your climb over to get somewhere else. Because smoking is restricted to certain areas now, it's not as much of a problem, but I know it used to be a real issue with people walking with a lit cigarette swinging their arms, oblivious to the fact that their lit cigarette is at eye-level of some children and people in wheelchairs.

Don't glare at the people who are walking past you while they're using Fastpass and you're in the standby line. I know, it sucks, but they're not "cutting in front of you". They're using a service you either chose not to use or didn't get to early enough.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...