Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney Springs ??

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

Disney Springs ??

I'm curious if anybody else feels the way I do out there. This last weekend was my first trip back to Disney Springs since the makeover. I was never a fan of Downtown Disney. On our first trip there with my wife and daughter many years ago, we made a reservation at Portobello. We thoroughly enjoyed the boat ride from French Quarter. Upon arrival my little girl was begging for a Disney stroller. We figured we'd be strolling around, so why not. They sat on a bench and waited as Daddy went to the stroller rental on the west side. I had to cross through Pleasure Island to get there and - WHAM - Pleasure Island popped the Disney bubble that I had been so thoroughly lost in. I hated it. I couldn't wait to get off that island. Bad music. Lots of drunks. Is that a shot girl? "This is like the Anti-Disney World!" is what I thought. We had a lovely dinner back at Portobello. Strolled around for a bit but quickly got out of there and never came back. I did make it back several years later on a trip with just my sons. They wanted to see the big Lego Store and T-Rex. We did just that and once again, we got out of there as quickly as we could.

So on this most recent trip, we were chaperoning 45 high school kids. We were arriving around 1 pm at our resort. We had no park plans for that night, and it was too cold to simply hang around the pool. So Disney Springs was a logical plan. Plus, I was very curious to see what they had done with it. We had fun. Dinner at Paradiso 37 was delicious. The bridges and water areas and new structures were all well done and add to a nicer atmosphere. But, I have to say...Nope! I don't care if I ever go back. There's nothing Disney about it. Way too many people. Way too many parking garages. Way too many different styles of music pouring out of way too many places. Way too many shops that I can go to at my local mall. Bowling? A movie theater? I can't knock the food choices. There's plenty of great looking food but...I can't see myself ever going back there with my family.

I just don't get it. Am I alone?

2. # ADS

I dont think you are alone in your feelings. My impression of DS is of an upscale shopping mall. Its nice and I visit occasionally for a dinner and to people watch. However I would prefer to be in the resort or theme park areas for a more immersive Disney feel.

I'm not really enthusiastic about it, I was first there a few years back when it was in heavy transformation mode still. Never visited when it was still DTD, so I have no knowledge of what it was like when it had Pleasure Island or any of the other heritage stuff.

It was my first time visiting DS when I flew in late enough that a park visit on my travel day was not in the cards, and it was coincidentally shortly after Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar opened. I liked the fact that no reservations were required there, so I could drop in when ever I got there and possibly grab a bite to eat. I did so twice in that manner, and enjoyed it a start to my trip. I would consider doing that again someday if flight times made it a good option.

I've since visited I think only once or twice more, I kicked off a trip with a reservation at Paddlefish for Dinner, which I did like. That trip was also earlier in the evening, so it was still ligt out, so I took that opportunity to explore a bit, as I had only been there later when it was well past sunset when I had arrived. I also went back there to visit the pin trading store to pick up a resort themed pin I decided I liked when I later realized the resort I was staying at didn't have said pin (or at least were out of stock for it when I looked).

There are probably a few restaurants I would like to try someday, but I don't get the shopping or Movie aspect much (aside from the pin example - the stores can be just another possible place to find something if you strike out at your resort or the parks). True the World of Disney store is huge, but probably 90% or more of the merchandise you can probably also get at the major shops in the parks.

There is a small "show" factor for me seeing the exteriors of some of the buildings (volcano eruption, T-Rex exterior, LEGO display, etc). The "rolling piano" (or whatever the proper name is) was somewhat amusing. I certainly would not ever dedicate a full day to going to DS though. I guess I can see it for people who really want a slower paced day somewhere in their vacation. I guess it fits a need for some people if you want a day that falls somewhere between a busy theme park focused day and a simple chill out at the resort type of day.

I would like to do the Balloon (former Characters in Flight, I forget the new name) ride someday maybe. I was going to do that the time I visited for Paddlefish, but it was not operating due to heavy winds.

-Dave

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyd0 View Post
    I dont think you are alone in your feelings. My impression of DS is of an upscale shopping mall. Its nice and I visit occasionally for a dinner and to people watch. However I would prefer to be in the resort or theme park areas for a more immersive Disney feel.
    I also wonder if I'm, for lack of a better word, spoiled? I have a Planet Hollywood here in New York. There used to be a Rainforest Cafe right here at my local mall. And as far as upscale shopping mall? On Long Island i have the Miracle Mile a few minutes away, the Roosevelt Field Mall which has transformed into more of an upscale mall, plus to be honest I'm not that far from Madison Avenue in NYC. I can have a lot of those experiences here at home, so i really don't want them when I'm at Disney. The peace and tranquility of Port Orleans French Quarter and the river boat ride down to Downtown Disney, and even the nice view as you approach it all from the water was kind of ruined for me once I got there.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I'm not really enthusiastic about it, I was first there a few years back when it was in heavy transformation mode still. Never visited when it was still DTD, so I have no knowledge of what it was like when it had Pleasure Island or any of the other heritage stuff.

It was my first time visiting DS when I flew in late enough that a park visit on my travel day was not in the cards, and it was coincidentally shortly after Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar opened. I liked the fact that no reservations were required there, so I could drop in when ever I got there and possibly grab a bite to eat. I did so twice in that manner, and enjoyed it a start to my trip. I would consider doing that again someday if flight times made it a good option.

I've since visited I think only once or twice more, I kicked off a trip with a reservation at Paddlefish for Dinner, which I did like. That trip was also earlier in the evening, so it was still ligt out, so I took that opportunity to explore a bit, as I had only been there later when it was well past sunset when I had arrived. I also went back there to visit the pin trading store to pick up a resort themed pin I decided I liked when I later realized the resort I was staying at didn't have said pin (or at least were out of stock for it when I looked).

There are probably a few restaurants I would like to try someday, but I don't get the shopping or Movie aspect much (aside from the pin example - the stores can be just another possible place to find something if you strike out at your resort or the parks). True the World of Disney store is huge, but probably 90% or more of the merchandise you can probably also get at the major shops in the parks.

There is a small "show" factor for me seeing the exteriors of some of the buildings (volcano eruption, T-Rex exterior, LEGO display, etc). The "rolling piano" (or whatever the proper name is) was somewhat amusing. I certainly would not ever dedicate a full day to going to DS though. I guess I can see it for people who really want a slower paced day somewhere in their vacation. I guess it fits a need for some people if you want a day that falls somewhere between a busy theme park focused day and a simple chill out at the resort type of day.

I would like to do the Balloon (former Characters in Flight, I forget the new name) ride someday maybe. I was going to do that the time I visited for Paddlefish, but it was not operating due to heavy winds.
    I do like the pin trading store!! Although the pin store in Frontierland at The Magic Kingdom is my favorite pin shop on Disney property.

And I do love the whole concept of making an entire bar/restaurant out of Jock Lindsey, someone who had about 30 seconds of screen time in Raiders of the Lost Ark!

I'm quite sure there's plenty of good food, but I can get plenty of good food at Epcot and at the resorts...so...I'm out!

I like the side of DS that has the big WOD store, the entertainment stage, pin shops, Lego store, etc. Once you get past T-rex and start making that turn to the other side, it turns less Disney-ish and more of the night club/bar scene. So I tend to not venture much to that side of DS. I usually go in the evening after the park I am at closes early. I will go to WOD, do some shopping, browse around, for about an hour. Then I go into Ghirardelli's for a late night treat and watch the entertainment on the stage if there is some going on. Walk around a little more and then head back.

One of my favorite acts though is a little farther down on the side I don't like to venture over to (just past the big balloon). Dominic Gaudious is great. He plays the didgeridoo. Love grabbing a drink or snack and sitting around and listening to him when his playing.

Disneyland will always be home, but WDW is starting to win me over.

MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post

I just don't get it. Am I alone?
    It's very popular with locals and international travelers. It's open late when a lot of other things on site close down. Not everyone rents a car, so getting to off site entertainment can be a challenge.

There's nothing Disney about it? What is more Disney than a fake spring with a fake backstory?

Not everything has to be for everyone though. We enjoy going to Morimoto, Homecomin', and now The Edison is up there on the list also.

Disney Springs ??

I love Disney Springs! Not like I love the parks but I enjoy the shopping and the food and the little drinks stands. My DD really, really loves it but her love of shopping knows few limits..... Last trip was just me and DD and we are, took in an unplanned movie and mooched about. One of our best afternoons/evenings of the trip. I expect my son and DH to be suitably none plussed though apart from the food. They’ll love the food.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)