Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: What will it be like in a Star Wars Resort?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

What will it be like in a Star Wars Resort?

What will it be like in a Star Wars Resort? by Todd King

Galaxy's Edge will provide the most immersive experience for Star Wars fans, especially when the themed hotels open

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

Beyond excited for all of this to actually come to fruition!!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i hope the beds are more comfortable than the concept drawings depict.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

This seems like one of those things where the operational cost ends up being ridiculous and it gets scaled down considerably. You'd be talking hundreds of "atmosphere" type performers every day all day, just to give you an "attaboy" for crashing the millennium falcon? We'll see what it looks like when it's done...

Quote Originally Posted by mkelm44 View Post
    This seems like one of those things where the operational cost ends up being ridiculous and it gets scaled down considerably. You'd be talking hundreds of "atmosphere" type performers every day all day, just to give you an "attaboy" for crashing the millennium falcon? We'll see what it looks like when it's done...
    Isn't part of the proposed SW resort experience the guests dressing up for the theme?

If so, Disney has a bunch of "free" extras in the guests themselves. True they would need to have professionals as well to pull off the interactions they are proposing.

The dressing up part (aside from the cost) is a large part of why I don't see myself ever doing the SW resort thing. Even as a huge SW fan, if I could justify the cost to myself as a "just once" thing, I don't feel I would enjoy doing the dress up bit.
    -Dave

olegc - yes, they do look rather stiff - I can't imagine they wouldn't make comfortable beds, but if they get too lost in the design and aesthetics, that detail could be bypassed (probably not, though)

mkelm44 - yeah, I just wonder how far they're willing to go for this immersion at the hotel-level. Maybe I'm thinking too far into it and at the hotel the atmosphere will speak for itself and staff, while still perhaps in some themed uniform, may be more "down to earth" -- and after a long day at Galaxy's Edge, guests are going to just need some familiar comforts without stepping into a "Medieval Times in Space" kinda thing

Dave1313 - If guests can dress up to be part of the interaction, I'd venture a guess that such costumes must be purchased in-park as a kind of extra cost/perk. I mean if, as a guest, you come into Magic Kingdom with a super-great genuine-looking costume of Tinkerbell, and kids start asking you for photos and autographs, Disney will have a problem with that (which was an incident in the news a couple years back). So I'd imagine we as guests can't just walk in with our Poe Dameron flight suits and expect the "full-treatment" ... but I really don't know. It's just that with our Magic Bands, the park knows where we are and what we ride so that data will be used somehow for this immersion, just don't know to what extent yet

~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

Foxtwin puts up a good point... costumes for adults are not permissible in the theme park. I know some people push that ("It's not a tinkerbell costume, it's tinkerbell inspired!") but I think walking around in your best stormtrooper armor is going to be a) over the line and b) really really hot. I live here in Orlando and it was a hot, breezeless 85 degrees yesterday in Epcot, and it's March- we get stupidly hot and humid during the summer.

Plus at a certain point, you have to do basic hotel functions- are the maids going to be in costume? The maintenance people? The gardeners? I think the template is going to be Pandora, where there is a nominal storyline, but the rank and file cast members are going to be fairly normal. The idea that there will be star wars views out your park isn't hard... Disney Cruises have a simulated porthole in every interior (read windowless) room, but unless you're building hotel rooms without windows, people are still going to want to be able to look out the window and see if the afternoon rain shower has stopped yet.

I think there will be lots of "opt-ins" available (at least at first) such as scavenger hunts or phone based games you can play, but I just can't see them getting hardcore immersive 24/7.

Hmmm. OK, all good points on the costumes. I could have sworn I read that in the official announcement somewhere, and the thought stuck with me because I wanted no part of that aspect (and that it was essentially required if you participated). My memory is probably faulty, or I read into things way too much.

Also great points on the windows, gardeners, housekeeping, etc.

Only time will tell when it finally opens.

-Dave