Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Aladdin - the Broadway musical

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Aladdin - the Broadway musical

We went to see the touring company of Aladdin, the Broadway musical at the Pantages. I thought the show itself was ok. I didn't really care for one of the added plot points. The actors who originated Aladdin and Jasmine in the Broadway version are currently starring in this touring version. I thought the guy who played Aladdin was good and had a terrific voice. I seriously did not care for the woman who played Jasmine. I thought her voice was weak and thin, and she had a breathing method that made her sort of squeal with every breath intake. Frankly, I'm surprised she was chosen to play the role on Broadway. Jasmine has a new "want" song and to me, it was emblematic that the three women singing backup for her were all way better than she was. I liked the actor who played Jafar, and I liked what they did with Iago.

The choreography and dancing in the show was spectacular. There is one show-stopping sequence that's really the highlight of the entire show.

I do have to admit that it was a bit weird trying to see this show fresh, since I'd seen the DCA version so many times, and while my mind couldn't help going back to that show, I tried not to make unfair comparisons. One decision I wish they'd made differently though:

Jasmine's "want" song in the DCA version was something about a bird in a gilded cage, I think. It was a wonderful song, and it was written specifically for the DCA show. I'm really sad they didn't keep it for the Broadway version, though to be honest, I don't think the actress they picked would have been able to properly sing that song.

I don't envision seeing this show again if it comes around in the future.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

"I've seen your daily routine. You are NOT busy."

2. # ADS

How was the genie? We've been going back and forth on seeing this show, so thank you for your honest review. Any and all information helps.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    How was the genie? We've been going back and forth on seeing this show, so thank you for your honest review. Any and all information helps.
    I thought Genie was very good in his performance. I'm not particularly keen on the role of the Genie in the show, though (which I don't fault the actor for at all). I know he was sometimes a scene-stealer in the DCA version, but I thought that was magnified in this production, by design. I don't remember if he broke the fourth wall in the movie or the DCA version, but it happened a lot in this show.

Oh, one thing I should note - the actress currently playing Jasmine is only with the production for another couple days, and I *think* the Genie rotates to a different actor as well. I seem to recall that the actor playing Aladdin is remaining the same for the Pantages run. If you (or anyone else) wants actual dates, I can look in my Playbill when I'm home.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    ...Oh, one thing I should note - the actress currently playing Jasmine is only with the production for another couple days, and I *think* the Genie rotates to a different actor as well. I seem to recall that the actor playing Aladdin is remaining the same for the Pantages run. If you (or anyone else) wants actual dates, I can look in my Playbill when I'm home.
    The dates would be helpful, thanks. We were fortunate to see the Broadway actor twice at D23 Expo, and that's one reason we're on the fence about seeing this production. Open to seeing a different actor, but not wanting to pay all that money to be disappointed.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    The dates would be helpful, thanks. We were fortunate to see the Broadway actor twice at D23 Expo, and that's one reason we're on the fence about seeing this production. Open to seeing a different actor, but not wanting to pay all that money to be disappointed.
    Did you not like the actor playing Aladdin when you saw him at the Expo?

OK, according to Playbill, Genie and Jafar and Iago and Aladdin are played by the same people for the run of the show at the Pantages. Courtney Reed, who originated Jasmine on Broadway, is with the show through February 18. From February 20 through March 31, Jasmine is played by Isabelle McCalla. The Sultan was played by one actor from February 1 through 11 and another actor from February 20 through March 31. I'm presuming an understudy is playing that character in between those dates. There are two understudies listed for Aladdin - Clinton Greenspan and Manny Stark. You could try for a show when one of the understudies is on instead of the lead. I would think either Saturday matinee or a Sunday show would be your best bet, but you could always go to the box office and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Did you not like the actor playing Aladdin when you saw him at the Expo?..
    We loved him, and that's why it's hard (but not impossible) to be open minded about seeing someone else who might not be as good. Sigh. I wish tickets weren't so expensive. Thank you for the info on the dates!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    We loved him, and that's why it's hard (but not impossible) to be open minded about seeing someone else who might not be as good.
    Oh, ok, I misunderstood what you wrote. I thought you didn't want to see him again.