Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Sue Holland Rayford, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, January 11-15, 2018

MousePlanet Columnist

Sue Holland Rayford, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, January 11-15, 2018

Who/When/Where:

Who: Sue (59), DVC Member
    SB (60), my husband
    Chris (31), son
    Amanda (29), daughter-in-law
    Ari (18 months), grandson
    Cristina (31), stepdaughter
    Quentin (3?), son-in-law
    Ethan (20 months), grandson
    Dates: January 11 - 15, 2018
    Resort: Disneys Hilton Head Island Resort (Grand Villa)
    Experience: Very Experienced 20th stay (1st for Cristina, Quentin & grandsons, 2nd for Amanda)

INTRODUCTION:
    Back in 1997 as a single parent I booked a trip to Hilton Head for Chris and me over the Christmas school break, expecting to not be very impressed. I loved it so much I bought dvc points immediately, and we made this an annual trip for the rest of his childhood. I continued without him once he grew up, moving to a warmer weather time of year to enjoy the fabulous beach (while avoiding the hot, humid summers). SB & I made a trip here in January of 2013 with Chris & Amanda, and Amanda fell in love with the place and the Serg restaurants! More time passed, and when Chris & Amanda were married in 2015 SBs daughter Cristina and her fianc Quentin attended the wedding the first meeting of our kids (although theyd met Cristina and a former boyfriend once a while before). Both couples ended up married in 2015 and both couples welcomed a son in 2016 (Ethan James in May, then Ari James in July). Theyve not seen each other since Chris & Amandas wedding, and obviously the boys have never met. About a year or so ago SB & I decided to see if they were interested in doing a whole family long weekend in Hilton Head, and everyone was excited to say yes.

I love the grand villas at Hilton Head, particularly for the fireplace. I booked one for us, knowing the 2 bedrooms upstairs would go to the 2 kids & their families, while wed of course take the master downstairs. I invited my dad to join us, and booked a studio for him, since I dont do living room sleepers or cramming people in to maximum occupancy. Sadly, his volunteer work this time of year made it too hard for him to get away. A few days before the trip I got a voice mail from the resort, advising that due to unexpected maintenance, the fireplaces would not be operational during my stay. This sucks, but its not like we can cancel & rebook!

My attendance on the trip was actually at risk until a couple days ago. During my last HAL cruise (late November) I came home with a most unwanted souvenir a diagnosis of invasive breast cancer. Fast forward past several medical appointments, and surgery (mastectomy & immediate reconstruction) was scheduled for 1/15/18 so SB & I would leave the night before checkout in order to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. for my surgeries. Prior to that, in late December, I had a sentinel node biopsy & surgery to remove the sentinel lymph node. That went well, but complications arose afterwards, which resulted in a horrible rash, swelling of my entire arm & hand, and caused several more medical appointments as they tried to figure out what the heck was going on. Bottom line, surgery on 1/15 had to be canceled, as my body was in no condition for that. The one silver lining in the delay is SB & I dont have to leave a day early now. The negative is the rash/swelling issues and the discomfort/disfiguration/limitations that may cause. But, this is a family trip and I would have to be dead or in a coma to miss it! Hopefully Ill be good for surgery before too long, so I can still make the early March HAL cruise!

Chris & Amanda travel with Ari all the time, so hes a trooper. Hes been to WDW for more trips than most non-dvc adults out there! Cristina and Quentin really havent traveled with Ethan at all they go away as a couple, but havent taken him on trips. From what we hear, he must be a handful, as they wouldnt consider driving or flying with him, lol! So, they booked a sleeper car on the train and will be traveling down and back overnight on a train, then picking up a rental car in Savannah to drive to the resort. As a result, they wont get in until Friday morning and theyll have to leave by Sunday night (Quentin has to work Monday).

The weather looks lousy at this point rain all day/night Friday, then it turns cold. In January thats a very real possibility so we cant really complain. Chris, Amanda, Ari & I will be back over Memorial Day, when it will definitely be beach weather! We will enjoy eating out, spending time with each other, and doing whatever outdoor activities we can. DVC friends Barbara and Roy will be there during some part of the trip, so itll be great to see them at some point.

The plans so far are:
    Thursday 1/11: Drive to Hilton Head, Poseidon?
    Friday 1/12: Whatever, Eat Out
    Saturday 1/13: Whatever, Eat Out
    Sunday 1/14: Whatever, Eat Out
    Monday 1/15: Hilton Head Diner breakfast, Drive to Gainesville

DAY 1 Thursday 1/11/18
    SB (60), my husband
    Chris (31), son

Plan: Drive to Hilton Head, Poseidon?

Actual: Chris, Amanda & Ari got in late last night, but were up just before I went to work at 8. They went out to breakfast with SB, then stopped by to see me at work and meet some of my co-workers. Chris family was on the road around 9:45, and SB & I left shortly after 10. They beat us to the resort, but since the villa wasnt ready yet they were hanging around Big Murgies Den playing pool. We got there around 2:30.

I knew the main pool was going to be closed, but found out the entire pool area was closed off due to the work being done. Chris thought wed have to walk all the way around to get to the Mercantile and Community Hall, but I showed him the other entrance. I wasnt thrilled at the villa not being ready, and we were all upset at the fireplaces not being operational right now. Thats such a great part of a grand villa this time of year!

It was drizzly and humid outside but not cold. We decided to walk over to Community Hall and hang out there. Along the way we stopped in the Mercantile, where Chris & I both answered the very easy trivia question to win a small chocolate bar. He & SB got some Disney-priced beers, while Amanda got a move or 2 for Ari. We then went into Community Hall, where Amanda helped Ari with a craft project and the rest of us hung around. SB turned on the tv, so he was all set, lol! Eventually we walked back to Live Oak Lodge to check on the villa, and made it back shortly before it started raining harder.

The chocolate chip cookies were out, accompanying the hot apple cider and coffee available for guests. The villa wasnt ready but the cast member checked and told us housekeeping was in there right now so it should only be another 10-15 minutes. We sat in Big Murgies Den, where Ari played with the pieces on the wooden checkers board. Soon the cast member came over to tell us it was ready.

Were in building 30, which is at the end of the resort. Chris was hoping for this building, so it worked out well. Parking is close to the building, which is a plus. I think there are 5 grand villas here, each in a different building. We moved our stuff in, and Amanda & Chris picked which of the extra 2 bedrooms they would take. The grand villa is 2-story, with the top floor consisting of 2 bedrooms, each with their own bathroom. Theres a small hall/loft area between them, that looks down to the living room. Downstairs is the kitchen, dining room, living room, full bathroom, master bedroom and master bathroom. There a long porch off the dining/living rooms and a separate smaller one off the master bedroom. The long porch has 2 picnic tables, each with 4 seats, and a few rocking chairs. The small porch has a couple rocking chairs and small table.

I counted 4 different pack n play beds plus 2 high chairs in this villa. The dining table seats 8, plus 4 more can sit at the counter. Theres plenty of living room seating for all of us, too. Its really pretty, and makes a nice home for weekend. We got settled, then headed out by 4:30 for an early dinner.

With just 5 of us, we all fit in Chris car, so he drove us over to Poseidon. He hadnt been over there since the mall had been torn down and all the new stuff built, and he thought it was a big improvement. We were interested in the happy hour stuff, so we sat at a high-top table in the Nauti-Bar. Our server brought us a high chair made for high-top tables, so it was perfect! None of us had ever seen one of those before. It wasnt very crowded out there, but this is the off season extreme off season. I had a glass of pinot grigio and the others had lemonade, water, and chocolate milk for Ari. Amanda & I each ordered the spicy fried chicken sliders from the happy hour menu 2 sliders with chips for $6. They were very spicy, but really good too! Chris and SB ate the 2nd slider from each order. Chris got the fish & chips, and shared some with Amanda. SB got fried Atlantic cod, and Ari had part of the kids pizza. Chris & Amanda also shared the happy hour hush puppies and deviled eggs. Everything was excellent, as usual here. We got 10% off the non-happy hour stuff, too. Our portion came to around $32 before tip, which is very reasonable!

After dinner we went to Kroger and did some grocery shopping before returning to the resort around 6:30 or so. After putting away the groceries everyone but SB went over to the campfire, but it wasnt being held tonight. We went back to the villa and checked the schedule, and learned its tomorrow night. Amanda gave Ari his bath and put him to bed, while SB & I hung out in the master bedroom watching tv and doing online stuff. Chris later baked some cookies but we were too full to enjoy any at that point (the chocolate turtle cookies I got from the bakery had nothing to do with that).

Today was a great start to the trip if the weather had been sunny and the fireplace working it would have been perfect! Tomorrow its supposed to be rainy most of the day and night, but were hoping for a break at some point so we can get out and do something with the boys. Cristina and her family should be arriving by mid-morning.

DAY 2 Friday 1/12/18
    SB (60), my husband
    Chris (31), son
    Quentin (3?), son-in-law

Plan: Whatever, Eat Out

Actual: Everyone was in their bedrooms fairly early, and we were both asleep before 10pm. I slept better than I had in days I think having the king size bed helped, plus being on the road to healing finally. I got up just after 4:30 and took my laptop out to the living room to enjoy some quiet time. Since theres a full bath off the living room, I used that brush my teeth so I didnt wake SB. I made my cappuccino, put on my compression sleeve for a couple hours, and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

After I could hear Ari & his parents moving around upstairs I got up to take my shower. SB was already awake, doing online stuff and watching tv in the bedroom. Today is the first day I could wear a regular bra, which is a good sign. Ill be calling the plastic surgeons office later today to report my progress so we can schedule the surgeries.

SB took his shower after talking with Cristina. Theyd just arrived and were picking up their rental car down in Savannah. Evidently Ethan slept the entire night in their sleeper car. Chris made us breakfast bacon, eggs, hash browns and crescent rolls. Everything was delicious! After breakfast we went out in the drizzly rain to walk around.

After spending a little time in Community Hall and talking to a couple eating breakfast outside Tide Me Over, we went into the Mercantile to say hi to Gordon. He did not recognize Chris at all, remembering him as a boy. We had a nice visit, and Amanda was able to return the DVD from yesterday and get another one for today.

We continued through the resort, stopped for Chris & Ari to play a little golf, then continued to Big Murgies Den. Just after we got there, Cristina called to say they were at the gate. SB & I went out to meet them and open the gate, then we all went back inside to join up with Chris, Amanda & Ari.

Ethan is tired, and were all strangers to him, so itll take him some time to get comfortable. We went back to the villa so they could get settled, then we all hung out in the living room for a while with the boys. Eventually Ethan fell asleep while Cristina was holding him, so they went upstairs to their room. Quentin came back down with a list, asking if we needed anything from the grocery store, then he went shopping for their stuff. Amanda gave Ari his leftover pizza and a plate full of cooked sliced carrots. He picked at the pizza, but gobbled up every last carrot well need a DNA test to prove hes really my grandchild, lol!

SB heated up some of the rotisserie chicken wed bought at Kroger last night, and paired it with bbq chips and a slice of Italian bread. He also had a couple of his beers, while I opened the bottle of pinot grigio. Chris & Amanda took Ari up for their nap, so that left SB & me to enjoy the quiet living room for a while. I emailed back & forth with DVC friend Barbara about meeting up while were here. Around 12:30 we could hear crying upstairs, and since it was unfamiliar it must have been Ethan. Im sure they want/need him to sleep longer than that, so well see how it goes.

The serious rain had not started, and wasnt due until about 3 so I hoped to go for a walk after I finished my wine. Id put the compression sleeve back on when we got here, since my arm was more swollen than yesterday. I went out for my walk (SB opted to stay put), and walked through Shelter Cove to the end by Elas then backtracked back to the villa. Many of the shops were not open, and it was too early for the restaurants to be open. Perhaps more is open on the weekend, but maybe not (during the off season).

When I got back everyone was in the living room. Id brought a few books that had buttons to push to make sounds, and brought them out for the boys to play with. They didnt quite have the whole sharing thing down. They also had a few toy cars or trucks to play with. Ari wanted everything, and I think Ethan just wanted to be away from all these strangers, but hopefully in time hell get more comfortable.

We decided on Frankie Bones for a late lunch/early dinner, and headed over there around 2 or so. It was raining a bit by now. The restaurant wasnt busy at all, and they created a table for 8 for us, with high chairs at 2 of the spots. The adults enjoyed their meals and both boys were well behaved. Ethan watched an Elmo video on an ipad, and Ari amused himself with crayons and the kids menu. I had the schnitzel (pork), which was very good. SB ate the last half of it, though. SB had his favorite here the spaghettini with big meatballs. Cristina had the seafood spaghettini, Amanda the sliders, Chris chicken alfredo, and Quentin had some type of sandwich. It was all great, and we were too full for any dessert. The only one who didnt eat was Ari, but we think the odd time confused him, and he knew it wasnt meal time.

Back at the resort we sat around for a while, and Quentin went up for a nap since he pretty much hadnt slept at all the night before. Eventually SB went to watch a game and the rest of us headed out in the rain to see if the 4pm Hot Chocolate Bar was still happening outside the Mercantile. It was, and it was pretty nice they had a cast member there making fancy hot chocolate drinks for everyone. We all got the smores version, and it was nice on a cool damp day. Gordon came out to say hello and meet Cristina & Ethan, then we continued on to Live Oak Lodge. We just missed Shadow, so we went inside to play pool. This consisted of the boys sitting on stools at either end of the pool table and rolling the balls back and forth. Ari would grab each one and put it into the pocket, then when full take them back out and roll them down the table.

We left there to walk back to the villa, and lost Chris & Ari on the little golf area. They couldnt resist, lol! The rest of us went back, and before long Ethan fell asleep next to Cristina. Hed been fussy, so it wasnt surprising that he was tired. Amanda got Aris uneaten Frankie Bones food ready to be reheated, and I spotted Chris & Ari on the bocce ball court now. Eventually they came back, and Amanda heated up the food.

Ari still didnt want to eat it, which was surprising since it was cheese ravioli and he loves that. Once they gave up trying to get him to eat, Amanda heated up a plate of carrots and he gobbled down every last one. Weird kid! We were going to do the 6pm campfire, which was being held indoors at Community Hall due to the rain, but with Ethan sleeping and Ari not obeying his parents about something, we skipped it.

A little later Ari had his bath and came back down in warm pajamas. Ethan woke up and was inconsolably cranky. I suggested maybe he was hungry, since hed only eaten his French fries at lunch. Cristina gave him some snacks, and when Quentin came back from somewhere they decided to go out to find something quick for dinner. They said they werent taking him inside anywhere, lol good idea, with his cranky state!

While they were gone, Chris made 2 pans of rice krispie treats one plain and one with chunky peanut butter. When they cooled off enough we cut them, and they were SO good!! Everybody loved them, and Ari had no problem eating a good-sized piece of the peanut butter version! Chris commented that one thing he loves about this place is not rushing around to the parks, no buses, etc its just so much more relaxing. Everyone agreed.

Cristina, Quentin & Ethan returned, having gone to a Five Guys for burgers. She was most happy to hear about the rice krispie treats! I dont think I mentioned before, but shes pregnant again this time with a girl, due June 28th (their 2nd and final child). Ethan was still cranky and so they took him upstairs for bath and bed. Chris & his family had just gone up to their room, so SB & I headed to ours after I turned off most of the lights. Its 9pm and hes not likely to be awake much longer, lol! Relaxing takes a lot out of a man!

When I look back on today, there are a number of things that could have been better starting with the weather! The boys didnt exactly bond together like Id imagined in my head, and although I expected Ethan to not know us at all & be hesitant, I didnt imagine the frequent whining/crying type noises. I had more discomfort around the site of the last procedure & surgery, too but not enough to keep me from doing anything. Despite that, I still enjoyed the day and was glad to have us all together here. Hopefully tomorrow when the sun is shining itll go better, as well be outside more letting the boys play.

DAY 3 Saturday 1/13/18
    SB (60), my husband
    Chris (31), son
    Quentin (3?), son-in-law

Actual: Yesterday I forgot to mention a couple really nice things. Cristina brought SB a couple old baseballs that had been in the house they all lived in years ago. One was given to him after his first appearance in the major leagues, and the other was his first home run in the major leagues. He was happy to have them both. The other thing was when Ethan was crying nonstop after walking up early evening, Ari went & got the car Ethan had played with the most and kept trying to give it to him to make him happier. It didnt work, but it was sweet of him to try (repeatedly).

This morning I was awake frequently between SB getting up to use the bathroom and me trying to keep my arm elevated, its impossible to sleep. I finally gave up and got up around 3:45. I went out to the living room, planning to use the sofa pillows and was surprised to see every last one was gone, lol! Since they didnt disappear the night before, Im assuming Cristina & Quentin needed them for something. So, I went and grabbed some from the master bedroom.

I made my cappuccino and spent time online. I could hear the boys each making a little noise, but they went back to sleep again. Just before 7 SB came out, so I decided to wrap up the puzzle I was working on and then go take my shower so I could do a load of laundry before the day really got going (but not so early as to risk waking other people up). I think I heard the wind blowing outside, so its going to be quite chilly out there today.

I showered and got dressed, throwing our laundry in when I got out of the shower. Pretty soon Chris and Ari came downstairs, and since it was a little after 8 he wanted to get Aris breakfast so hed be on a normal timeframe and be able to eat a little lunch before his nap. I shared the idea of doing the Lodge for an early dinner tonight, and he agreed. Since SBs jeans were in the dryer, I took his breakfast order and walked over to Tide Me Over with Chris. I got the Bounty Platter (eggs, bacon, sausage, tator tots, biscuit & Mickey waffle) for SB and the banana bread French toast with bacon for me. Chris got the chicken & waffles, the Mickey waffles for Amanda, and a yogurt parfait for Ari. We waited inside the fitness center for about 7 minutes until the food was ready, then took it back to the villa.

My banana bread French toast was just ok not nearly as good as the version at Whispering Canyon recently. Chris finished the 2nd piece, and agreed. His chicken & waffles consisted of a big flat chicken tender and 3 small Mickey waffles. It looked really odd to me, but he said it tasted very good. The rest of the stuff was the usual. Overall it was a good enough breakfast, and very convenient.

Cristina, Quentin & Ari came downstairs while we were finishing breakfast, and hung out for a little while. Ethan actually came into our bedroom and spent time near us, lol! I took him out onto our porch, and he liked looking around out there. When Ari joined us, SB came out so I could try to get a photo of him with his grandsons but it was like herding cats. They move too much, lol he couldnt get them both facing the right direction, and with Ethan being hesitant to get too close, it didnt work well. It was funny though! Later well get a photo while Cristina holds him and stands next to SB.

Ari was watching Moana when I returned to the living room, which is his favorite movie. SB jumped in the shower, and when the others came back with their breakfast, Ari left the movie to visit with Ethan. Amanda dragged him away so Ethan could eat. Ethan didnt eat much for dinner last night, but ate like a pig for breakfast mainly sausage, lol! Evidently he loves sausage and according to Cristina hed probably eat the whole box if she let him (she doesnt). He eventually tried the Mickey waffle and ate a little of that, before he stuffed too big a piece into his mouth and started to gag. Oh the joys of little boys <g>.

When I went into the bedroom for my phone I saw Id missed a call, voicemail and text from my dvc friend Barbara. She & Roy were going to the Mercantile to visit Gordon, so I texted her back to see if they were still there. They were, so SB, Chris family & I headed over there while Cristinas family finished up with breakfast. Before we left Chris called to report a flickering lightbulb over the dining room table. The Mercantile is a very short walk from here, and Barbara must have seen us coming because she came and greeted us at the top of the stairs. It had been a few years since wed seen each other, so this was a treat!

We went inside to visit, since it was cold and blustery (feels like temp a few hours later was only 31) outside. SB and Roy swapped stories of heartache when prized possessions they had disappeared thanks to the actions of other relatives in Roys case as boy. Some things you never forget! Gordon took a few group photos for us with Barbaras phone and my camera, so Im sure hers will hit our friends before mine <g>. She blogs daily and includes pictures with each day.

Hopefully well run into them again before the end of the trip, but for now it was time to move along. I forgot to mention, as we were taking the photo Cristina called to ask which lightbulb needed to be replaced. The maintenance guy was there and was having trouble finding the bad one. That was very quick! We said goodbye to Barbara & Roy, then went downstairs and played our way back towards our villa so Cristinas family would find us easily.

First it was the ******le toss game, and then shuffleboard. Ari was cute, copying what hed see Chris or SB do. It was freezing out there, though! We worked our way to the next area giant checkers and bocce ball. Cristinas family found us there, and the boys enjoyed the ball part of bocce ball. SB got in a hammock, and we tried to get a photo of him and Ethan but Ethan wasnt having much of that! When SB was alone in the hammock Cristina and I got it swinging to rock him, but we never quite got the 360 degree thing accomplished <g>. The checkers had standing water, so they would have been more fun had the sun dried them out before we got there. It was too cold to want to get wet!

From there we went out to the path along the marina, but quickly realized the railing openings were big enough for both boys to slip right through, and of course both boys wanted to be at the railing. Cristina and Quentin had one of those backpacks with a leash that theyd never used, so Quentin put that on Ethan. He said if Ethan fell in the water he might as well throw himself in as well, as that would be less painful than getting killed by the grandmothers in Maryland when they found out! Ari got picked up and carried at times, and other times he just heard a lot of no as hed try to get over there.

As always, there are some nice boats/yachts in this marina, with the nicest one being the Christina B. It was here in May, and the owners seem to live on it. Its probably bigger inside than our grand villa, so it makes sense. They still had their Christmas tree up on the 3rd deck. We turned back into the resort and played basketball Ethan was all smiles at the basketball. Chris missed a few shots that caused the ball to go over the fence, and Ari climbed through the fence slats to try to get the balls. Unfortunately, he stood back there trying to push a basketball through a too-narrow opening, lol! I was able to take each ball from him and get them over the top then Chris went and retrieved him.

Finally it was time to get back to the villa for food & naps. Ari ended up having a tantrum over something, and was sitting on the ground kicking his legs so the rest of us continued on our way. Eventually Amanda did the same, which caused him to get up and come after her. No doubt both boys should be tired after all this running around in the cold fresh air!

Back in the villa it felt so good to have heat! I tried to help Ethan with his jacket, which set off a huge crying spell the kid sounded truly terrorized! How could he possibly have heard about my reputation as it relates to kids??? I kept my distance after that, because he was tired and it took Cristina a while to calm him down. They gave him a snack and then took him upstairs to nap. Quentin later went out to Kroger to pick up something. SB went to the bedroom to watch tv, I downloaded the pictures from my camera, and Chris & Amanda tried to get Ari to eat lunch. That wasnt going so well at first, but eventually he ate his leftover Frankie Bones ravioli followed by a plate of carrots and chocolate milk.

They took Ari up for a nap, which sounds like it took some insisting on their part before he fell asleep. SB made a chicken sandwich for lunch, using more of the rotisserie chicken. We have quite a bit of food in the refrigerator! I poured a glass of pinot grigio and while SB watched tv in the bedroom I sat at the dining room table to update the report and do online stuff. The table was actually the perfect height for my arm, and so far Im not needing to use the compression sleeve. I can actually feel the bone in my elbow for a change instead of feeling puffiness. The rash is completely gone I didnt even use the steroid ointment since I didnt see the sense in possibly irritating my skin when its not needed.

Quentin came back with lunch for him & Cristina, and threw a load of their laundry in while they ate and napped with Ethan. I could hear kids waking up around 2. By 2:30 everyone was up and ready, so we drove over to the Beach House. Walking on the beach was nice, but before too long it became challenging. Ari is used to beaches, but always goes into the water and thats what he kept trying to do here despite it only being 48 degrees! Chris & Amanda had to pull him back up away from the edge of the water, which he didnt like. Ethan ended up back on his leash eventually, but he had big smiles being out here. Thats the 2nd smile weve seen, with the first being the basketball court this morning.

Chris & Amanda turned back to take Ari to the beach house, and a bit later SB, Quentin and Ethan followed. Cristina & I continued, looking at the nice houses on the beach and rescuing a starfish that had washed up onto the beach. We joined the others inside the beach house, just in time for Name that Tune trivia. We named our team the Goofy Goobers and we actually won with 19 out of 20 correct answers. Our prize was a Mickey bar, which we assumed meant each of us won a Mickey bar. We were mistaken, lol.

Just after 4 we left for the Lodge, and had trouble finding it within the complex. Eventually we just parked and I went inside to find the restaurant while the others waited in the cars. The parking lot was jammed, and with a football game on I was afraid we wouldnt be able to get in, but theyd just opened and were almost empty still. They set up a table for us while I went back out to round up the others.

This is basically a sports bar, and nothing fancy at all, but the food was very good. Burgers are king here, and thats what several people ordered. I went with the grilled caprese, which was good but greasy because it was grilled. I dont think Id bother with it again, but Im glad I tried it. Cristina had the Juicy Lucy burger (thick), SB had the double burger, Amanda had a burger topped with bacon and egg, and I think Chris & Quentin also got some type of burger. Ari enjoyed the fried macaroni and cheese and tator tots (regular and sweet potato). Ethan got fussy when his meal came, so Im not sure what he ate. While waiting he spent the entire time watching an Elmo video, while Ari sat between Amanda & me coloring and engaging with people. The boys are so different from each other.

Quentin bought dinner to thank us for the lodging, which was very nice. After dinner we stopped at CVS for Chris to get something, then returned to the resort. Chris went to claim our prize, and came back with a single Mickey bar, lol! Ari ate most of it, but a few others got bites too. I brought out the other 2 toys Id brought for the boys a dump truck and a bus, both with some mega blocks. Ethan wasnt sure and clung to his mother, while Ari eagerly started connecting the mega blocks and playing with both vehicles. He & Cristina played together on the floor for a bit, hoping Ethan would join in.

Chris & Amanda fed Ari more snacks cooked carrots, blueberries, and grandma gave him a rice krispie treat. Cristina changed Ethan into his pajamas and for a brief time the boys played next to each other. Once Ethan realized Ari was there, hed leave and make whining noises. Ari seemed to want to play with him, but Ethan just doesnt know about other kids and how to act. Hopefully hell learn quickly when he starts preschool in a year or so.

Cristina left to pick up some diaper rash cream and Dairy Queen, but the rest of us stayed behind. SB was watching a football game, which Chris & Quentin were also looking at. Ari was having fun playing, while Ethan was sticking close to his dad and playing with one of the books Id brought while making his whining noise. It doesnt sound like a happy noise to me, but he didnt look miserable all the time. Cristina had said hes a handful, and from what Ive seen he doesnt do anything but what he wants to do no doesnt mean anything. He does like football games, though!

Amanda made some of the hot chocolate that came in the welcome gift, and enjoyed it. I was fading by 8pm and hope SB will watch whatever game is on out in the living room (not likely). Ari kept bringing toys to Ethan, wanting to play with him, but it wasnt working. Thankfully hes pretty happy-go-lucky, or we would have had 2 kids whining, lol!

Amanda had Ari clean up all the toys, then she took him up to bed around 8. He went right to work picking everything up. Cristina and Quentin fixed something for Ethan to eat. I slid Ari around on the floor for a while (he loved it), then he went off to bed. I finished up the trip report and got ready to head to bed to watch some HGTV.

Today was a great day very relaxing, and fun with the boys & family. The Lodge was a good choice, although its not a place I need to eat at every trip. It was nice to have sunshine finally, despite the cold! I really enjoyed seeing Barbara & Roy again, too.

Tomorrow is our last full day, although Cristinas family will be leaving by 4:30 to head back to Savannah to catch the overnight train home.

DAY 4 Sunday 1/14/18
    SB (60), my husband
    Chris (31), son
    Quentin (3?), son-in-law

Actual: I slept well last night not bothering to prop my arm up at all. I still have some discomfort, but its not a big deal. I really do think it was the radioactive dye, because any pain seems to radiate from under the skin almost as if I have a burn under the skin. It makes the outside extremely sensitive to any touch from the brush of a loose shirt to the eventual pain caused by wearing a bra for hours (took that off at dinner last night it had become too annoying). Im sure it will pass, but boy its taking a long time!

Today I was up at 4:30, spending quiet time and enjoying cappuccino out in the living room while everyone else slept. SB was up when I went into the bedroom shortly after 6:30, so I took my shower and got dressed. By the time I came out some of the others were gathering in the living room.

Breakfast was a family affair, and the 8 of us fit comfortably around the big table. Chris cooked, making scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, & crescent rolls. Id made cinnamon rolls as an appetizer for everyone. Everything was delicious! With this being the last day with everyone, and our last non-restaurant breakfast, we wanted to get rid of as much food as possible.

After breakfast SB went back to watching Say Yes to the Dress in the living room, while Cristina & Quentin sat on the bigger couch with Ethan. Chris, Amanda, Ari & I went outside to wander around the resort. It was 34 but the feels like temp was in the upper 20s. I dont like the cold, but Im not one to sit around indoors all day. We went to the basketball court first, where Chris & Ari played for a while. It was too early for the hot apple cider, so we didnt go over to the lobby.

Our next stop was the playground, which Ari loved. His parents let him slide down the straight slide and he loved it he immediately ran over and climbed up the steps to do it again. It was so cold and somewhat windy there that we only stayed for 3-4 slides before continuing to the Mercantile to return the latest movie and say hello to Gordon. Eventually we made our way back to the villa.

Cristina took Ethan up for his nap, and I think she & Quentin packed up their stuff before he headed out to a store. Ari had a pre-nap snack (instead of lunch since were eating dinner at a late lunch time today) and then played with the toys a bit before Amanda put him down for his nap. Chris went out to get gas and buy a frozen pizza to eat later. I put on my jacket & gloves and went out for a walk.

With the sun shining and the wind being slower than yesterday it was actually pretty comfortable when dressed warmly. I had a shirt, sweatshirt and jacket, lol! I also wore 2 pairs of socks yesterday and today. I walked over to Belk and looked around in there but didnt see much. I figured Id stop again on my way back since I realized I never found the petite clothing department. They were having lots of sales, but a lot of what was left was in the larger sizes.

From Belk I continued through the next set of shops outside but the only one I actually entered Kilwins. I thought maybe theyd have some Christmas chocolate marked down but I didnt see any. Without them making it something I couldnt afford to pass up, lol it was easy to get out without buying any unwanted calories. On my way back through Belk I found the petite section, and actually ended up buying a few things for myself and a cute baby girl Christmas outfit for the unborn granddaughter.

On my way back into the resort I stopped in the lobby and picked up cups of hot apple cider for Cristina and Amanda, then walked to the grand villa. Chris was in the living room watching a game, Quentin was packing up stuff, and SB was watching a different game in the bed. Chris & SB were shouting scores to each other, lol. SB jumped in the shower, and the housekeeper came to do the trash & towel service.

We all headed out for Skull Creek Boathouse, after Quentin loaded their stuff in their rental car. Theyll be leaving from the restaurant to begin the trip home (train from Savannah to DC, arriving at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow). Being the slow season, it was nice to see the parking lot for Skull Creek was barely half full. We had no wait to be seated, but they gave us a table for 6 and put the 2 high chairs next to each other at the end of the table. I wasnt sure it was going to work for Ari thinking he may not eat if the big screen was sitting on the table in front of him. It ended up ok, as this time Ethan watched something on Cristinas phone, so it was easy for Ari to ignore. He engaged with the rest of us and amused himself while Ethan watched the video. At one point he reached out and took Ethans hand, which was really cute!

The food here is always good, and we all left stuffed. SB started with a bowl of the chicken & sausage gumbo. Chris ordered the fried dill pickles and a bowl of the seafood chowder. We were shocked that Ari loved the pickles I think he ate more of them than anyone, and Amanda took the rest home for him. Quentin ordered the fried green tomatoes and Cristina had a bowl of the seafood chowder. Both were big hits with her & Quentin.

For the meal, SB had the turkey club sandwich, which was huge. He ate half of it and took the other half home. I had the fried chicken poboy, which was also excellent. SB finished it, although we left some of the bread. He got the fries with his and I got cole slaw with mine, so we shared the cole slaw was outstanding! Chris had shrimp & grits and said they were ok. Quentin loved the burger he ordered, and Cristina enjoyed the shrimp po boy but wasnt able to finish it. Amanda ordered the fish tacos but with grilled mahi mahi and those were excellent, with big pieces of mahi. Even the kids ate a lot Ethan had cheese quesadilla and fries, while Ari had macaroni & cheese. The mac & cheese was a huge portion, and pretty tasty.

After dinner we went outside and said goodbye to Cristina and her family. It was really nice having everyone together for this little trip. Im really glad SB & I get to stay one more night, vs being on the road now. This grand villa is too beautiful to leave a night early! Itll be hard enough leaving tomorrow.

On the way back into the resort we stopped at Live Oak Lodge so Ari could meet Shadow, then went inside and let him play with the checkers while the men watched some of a football game. There were other people using the pool table, and some outside playing ping pong. Chris & family drove back to the villa, while SB & I walked along the marina.

They watched the football game while I updated the report and Ari mopped the floors. He likes to clean handy kid to have around. Lets hope that continues as he grows up, lol! Shortly after 6 everyone except SB walked over to the campfire pit for the campfire and smores. I was shocked by how many people were there the resort didnt seem busy at all until now! They did a bunch of silly stories/songs and finally it was time for smores. We lined up and got our skewers of marshmallows, toasted them, then traded in the skewer for the graham cracker and chocolate bar. The smores were delicious! Ari enjoyed the silliness/screaming/clapping at the campfire. Later while eating our smores he was standing on the bench and stepped right off, falling flat down onto the sand like he was doing a belly flop in a pool, lol! Amanda was horrified, but he was fine sand is much softer than concrete. I checked and didnt feel any sand on his face, so he must not have gotten any in his mouth.

We walked back to the villa, where SB was engrossed in the football game. Amanda heated up some macaroni & cheese and sliced carrots for Ari, but he only ate the carrots. I finished the pinot grigio, and Amanda put a package of chicken nuggets left by Cristina & Quentin in the oven. Even if they dont all get eaten, they could be eaten tomorrow if theyre already cooked.

Were in for the night at this point, enjoying one last night in the beautiful home away from home. Today was another great day if only it had been a little warmer! Hopefully Im not complaining about the heat this coming May when were back, lol.

Tomorrow well have breakfast at Hilton Head Diner, then head home to Florida. Its only 4 hours or so for SB & me, but 8 for them. Theyre planning on breaking up the drive by stopping for lunch in Gainesville of all places.

DAY 5 Monday 1/15/18
    SB (60), my husband
    Chris (31), son

Plan: Hilton Head Diner breakfast, Drive to Gainesville

Actual: Last night I was falling asleep shortly after 9, but woke up in time to turn the tv off at 10:30 (after SB saw which house the couple on HGTV selected <g>). I slept well again, waking at 4:27 so I got up shortly after that to go out to the living room. I made my cappuccino and got online. When I got up to use the bathroom off the living room around 5:30 I could see the light was on the master bedroom. Evidently SB woke up early too, and was in there watching tv. I went ahead and took my shower and packed up the rest of my stuff, then went back to my computer in the other room. I was hungry, so I had one of the babybel cheese things those are very good!

We left for Hilton Head Diner around 8, stopped at Live Oak Lodge so Amanda could return a couple movies and I could let them know our grand villa was vacant. They said theyd email the final bill but as of nearly 3pm it still isnt here. I only charged breakfast one day, and I have the receipt so I should be good.

At Hilton Head Diner they were a bit scattered today. It wasnt busy at all, but we were seated and not given any menus. When the waitress took our beverage orders she didnt notice, so when she brought the drinks I had to ask. Only the adults ordered, and Amanda & I ordered the same thing the fabulous challah French toast! That is so good! She shared some of hers with Ari, who also loved it. SB got the big breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns & 2 pancakes along with a glass of milk. Chris had the southwestern wrap. Everything was good, and we were out of there by 8:45.

We said our goodbyes and they thanked us for the trip. Chris bought breakfast for us, too. They have a long drive ahead of them, so they hit the road. We stopped at the Kroger gas station to fill up the tank, and with my Kroger Plus card it was $.20 off per gallon, bringing it to $1.97/gallon! Havent seen that in a long time!

The drive was uneventful and we pulled into the driveway just before 1pm. At this point Im all unpacked, and have the last bit of laundry in the dryer.

This was a really nice little family trip, and having the grand villa made a huge difference! Everyone was able to be together, but still have lots of space and privacy. Everyone loved the resort, which is to be expected since its so beautiful. Ditto for the restaurant meals everything was a hit. Perhaps in the future the boys will be old enough to play together more, and by the next time Ethan will have started preschool so hell be more used to other kids. Of course well have the little sister then, too.

I uploaded the photos to Shutterfly, but then decided to try facebook for sharing. Its easier to caption in facebook, and I know people will actually be able to see that so they know what theyre looking at. Shutterfly is just too much of a pain. The album on facebook should be visible to anyone (whether on facebook or not, a friend of mine or not) by following this url: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=2ec5d19976

The next Hilton Head trip will be leading up to and including Memorial Day weekend, so its not too far away! I start solo in a studio, then move to a 2-bedroom when Chris/Amanda/Ari join me. SB might or might not its up to him at that time. That one will be a beach vacation!

Before then, I will have my mastectomy and begin the reconstruction, possibly on Wednesday 1/24. Assuming everything goes well I should still be good for my HAL cruise in early March and well see about the Feb 2nd Beach Club Villas weekend. I may play with the member site to see if theres any other availability later to push it back (trip must be completed by 3/31 due to an April use year), unless the plastic surgeon thinks Ill be fine going as scheduled.

Thanks for reading!

Sue (Holland) Rayford
    WDW1972

2. # ADS

Wow!!! What a beautiful villa!! It would be difficult to leave....lovely pix..the boys are adorable...will be thinking healing thoughts for your upcoming surgeries..may they pass quickly...thanks for the report.. Really enjoyed reading it!

I loved your report as usual. I love family vacations and it's nice to see the two boys together even though they aren't familiar with each other yet. Since today is the 30th I hope your surgery has been successfully completed and you are on your way to good health. I will keep you in my prayers

Hi Sue, I always love reading your trip reports, you have a lovely family. I hope all went well with everything and you are healing fast and will keep you in my prayers. You seem like a very positive person and that will definitely speed up your healing as well as surrounding yourself with your wonderful family.