Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Possible single day at Universal this time in April

Possible single day at Universal this time in April

We are going Thursday through Thursday, but parents and brother will only have five day park hoppers so we will have a sixth day to do something else, possibly go to Universal Studios for that day. Haven't been there literally in decades. Any advice?

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

2. # ADS

Hollywood or Orlando?

Sorry, I rarely post outside the WDW section! Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    We are going Thursday through Thursday, but parents and brother will only have five day park hoppers so we will have a sixth day to do something else, possibly go to Universal Studios for that day. Haven't been there literally in decades. Any advice?
    Depending on crowd index, you may want to get the Front of the line pass. That way you can bang out every ride. but it's pricey (IMHO) so if it's not crowded, no reason to pay. And you tix for both parks, so you can have the full HP epxerience.

Wonder if I need to watch the last four movies now...

Wonder if I need to watch the last four movies now...
    I enjoyed the HP rides even though I had not seen ANY of the movies at the time I went to Universal. While I am sure I would have understood more of what I was seeing if I had seen the movies, the rides are enjoyable either way.

Unfortunately they recently (well, last summer/fall, I think) closed the Dragon Challenge coasters.

Also, +1 on newhdplayer's recommendation on the front of line pass (with park hopper). While it's expensive, it is worth it if you are trying to do it all in one day.

I went just over three years ago. 1st single day was a family trip with my mom and my sister's family. My nieces were still younger then, so we didn't close the park down, and they weren't' tall enough for a fair number of the intense rides. I went back for a single day solo and picked up pretty much everything I wanted to that I hadn't gotten to do on the family trip, plus at least a few duplicates.

I think the 2 HP headliners are now part of the FOL pass, they weren't' when I visited (so strategy is less critical).

Also, if you do the water rides at IOA (Jurassic, Popeye's Bilge Rat Barges and Dudley Doright), they can get you very wet compared to Splash Mountain, and probably even Kali River Rapids. There is a reason they have "body dryers" in the area that people are more than willing to put money into to dry off a little. Dress accordingly or bring spare clothes and/or ponchos. Luckily they are all close together, so you can get them all in together if you want (I was able to get Jurassic and Popeye in under the locker time limit at Jurassic since I had the FOL pass - I chickened out on Dudley after getting soaked on Popeye).

Hope this helps.
    -Dave

Soaked is an understatement.

As I get older, I am less and less entertained by being completely soaked. I'd probably just pass on those attractions!

As I get older, I am less and less entertained by being completely soaked. I'd probably just pass on those attractions!
    Jurassic Park was neat, but it seemed like it was darn close to a wall of water that came up and hit us at the end. I had a poncho on for that, anyone who didn't probably felt like they got dunked in a pool. I had a cheapie point and shoot digital camera with me, it survived since I was able to keep it near the center of my body under the poncho. I don't recall any other parts of Jurassic being bad in terms of water, just the final drop. I probably might consider riding that again someday.

Popeye I probably will pass next time. It has some interesting scenes, but you can see a fair amount of it by walking around the areas near the attraction without going on the ride.

Since I didn't try it I can't say for sure, but Dudley looks more like maybe a splash Mountain type effect with the long drop at the end (you can see this pretty clearly from the viewing area). I have no knowledge of what happens for the rest of the ride though. Maybe next time!
    -Dave

Very Splashish. Cute Dudley scenes but a standard log flume. Except the part you *think the curtain of water will part before you go through it. 😐 No legroom to speak of. Popeye is a standard raft ride. The only other time I've been that wet was grad night trip at Magic Mountain and our raft stalled at the bottom of the ramp to the offload and we had a water fight.
    I don't recall getting all that wet on Jurassic Park. I know the one in Hollywood can control the water flow, perhaps it was down during our September 2016 trip? When it's cranked up canons shoot off before you drop so when you stop at the bottom all that water drops straight down on you. But when we ride in December we just barely get wet.