Travel dates: October 24 – 28, 2017
    Travel method: Southwest
    Resort: Anaheim Desert Inn (Off-site)
    Accommodations: Standard
    Ages Represented in Group: Adult
    Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: Veteran
    Comments: Our 33rd Anniversary!
    Cast of characters:
    • Pam, 56: trip planner/writer/self-proclaimed Disney Queen!
    • James, 57: Pam's hubby who likes Disneyland but is not as fanatic as Pam!

The Planning

James & I were supposed to go to the Disneyland Resort together in April, but we had to cancel at the last minute. I had already been tentatively planning another trip in late October around our anniversary (and before our passes expire on November 12th), so I moved our flights to October 24 & 28.

Lodging: I had originally booked a room back in November 2016 (I plan my trips as far out as possible to get the best room rates!) at the Anaheim Desert Inn on Harbor Blvd. (a 5-minute walk from the parks; total for 4 nights = $490). However, our sleeping habits are so different nowadays that we later decided two rooms would work better for us even though it cost a lot more (James could stay up as late as he needed to and I wouldn't disturb him when I left early for the parks each morning!).

I debated getting a second room vs one of the suites, and decided on a C-1 Parlor Family Suite; it was about the same cost as two separate rooms, but would be guaranteed to be connected (total for 4 nights is now about $1,030).

Transportation: I had originally booked airfare months ago on Southwest Airlines from Sacramento to Orange County for both of us using points & then was able to rebook 3 of the 4 flights at the equivalent cost of $29 each leg when there was a fantastic two-day sale in late September (the 4th flight was an equivalent cost of $67)! The total TSA fees & Early-Bird option for all flights came to $82.40 (without points the total cash cost would have been $214).

I also made reservations with SuperShuttle for travel to/from our motel in Anaheim ($39.60 total after the 10% AAA group discount was applied).

Tickets: James & I have active Deluxe Annual Passes, which expire on November 12th.

Priority Seating: I made several dining reservations for our visit:

• October 25: World of Color Dessert Party @ 7:30pm ($157.62 pre-paid)
    • October 26: Blue Bayou @ 11:30am
    • October 27: Blue Bayou @ 11:30am (but will probably replace with somewhere else if we go here on 10/26)

Disney Visa Rewards Card: I transferred $155 out of our rewards balance on our Disney Visa Rewards Card (DVRC) to cover our Disney park meals and any park incidentals; however, I ended up using it all on a Disney Store purchase before we left!

The Itinerary

The pre-planning was done very quickly, and here was the result:

• October 24: Fly down in the afternoon; check-in to the Desert Inn; Disneyland/DCA
    • October 25: Disneyland/DCA; World of Color Dessert Party
    • October 26: Disneyland/DCA; probable lunch at Blue Bayou
    • October 27: Disneyland/DCA; possible lunch at Blue Bayou
    • October 28: Check-out of the Desert Inn; DL/DCA; fly home in the afternoon

Monday, October 23, 2017 (pre-departure date)

Actual: I was out-of-town over the weekend and drove back this morning; along the way I stopped at Arby's for a classic roast beef sandwich (Pam; $3.54) and at Subway for a veggie foot-long sandwich (James; $6.45), both of which to eat at the airport tomorrow before our flight.

I worked day at home while doing laundry and printed off our boarding passes (A42 & A43), then James & I ate dinner while watching a couple of shows on the DVR. We started getting the house ready for vacation & packing around 7pm, then I went to bed around 11:30pm; poor James didn't get sleepy until 3am!

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 (103o)
    Plan: Fly down in the afternoon; check-in to the Desert Inn; Disneyland/DCA

Actual: I was up around 7:20am, fed & medicated our kitty Sidney, and then worked about 3 hours before logging off around 11am when James got up. I moved the full suitcases to the foyer, so only James' carry-on was left, and then finished cleaning the kitchen while he got ready. [Due to James' problems getting restful sleep (he has sleep apnea & high blood pressure), I was worried he might cancel on me at the last minute so I had packed our stuff in separate suitcases ~ JUST IN CASE!]

I heated up my Arby's sandwich just before we left the house around 1pm and ate it in the car during our quick and incident-free drive to the airport. The Economy lot was pretty full, but we parked near the exit (N42 G2) and boarded a shuttle bus to the terminal a few minutes later. I checked our two bags in and we were through the Pre-TSA line very quickly (the non-Pre-TSA line was quite long!).

I filled our reusable water bottle while James ate his Subway sandwich in the food court dining area, and then we headed to Gate B19 around 2:30pm to wait for our plane. The incoming flight from Salt Lake City arrived early, and we began boarding around 2:45pm. I sat in the 2-seater exit row (non-aisle) and James sat in the row behind me next to the window (his favorite seat due to the extra leg room since there is no seat in front of him; actually, a VERY nice passenger voluntarily moved to let him sit there & enjoy that extra leg room!).

They were done boarding by 3pm, so the flight attendants began taking drink orders (Diet Dr. Pepper for me and ginger ale for James) to kill time before we pushed back at 3:15pm. We enjoyed honey roasted peanuts and pretzels & I updated my trip notes while James read the paper during our flight (I usually listen to my MP3 player during the flight but forgot it to get it out of my backpack before we took off!).

We had a very scenic flight: we saw Yosemite Valley, Half Dome, a fire, a plane, and the Queen Mary before landing 10mins early at 4:30pm. We got our luggage and walked down to catch our SuperShuttle van ~ man, was it HOT!!! They had us wait outside the van until ready to depart, and I ended up sitting in the front passenger seat which was the best seat since the A/C was FAULTY!!! Only the front vents worked properly and the remaining passengers were miserable (James included!); the driver was very apologetic and promised to have it fixed the next day, but I bet he continued to carry passengers that evening [I emailed SuperShuttle after we came home and they refunded our fare per my request ($19.80)].

We had terrible commute traffic ~ we left SNA at 5:10pm and were the second party dropped off just after 6pm! I tipped the driver $4 for getting us safely to the motel; he tried to refuse it due to the lack of A/C, but we were just glad to be done with it!

I checked us in at the Anaheim Desert Inn and was assigned room #212; we took our stuff up the elevator and cranked the A/C full power in the room (it was 103 degrees ~ IN LATE OCTOBER!!!). I changed into my running skirt and put my knee support on; it was so hot we decided to travel as light as possible! James left his fanny pack in the room and just put what he needed in his jean pockets and I used a mini-backpack that I'd purchased several years ago at Disney Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World, rather than my usual larger fanny pack.

We left the room around 6:30pm and walked up to McDonald's for dinner [BOGO Big Macs (using a coupon we'd found on the Orange County Visitors Bureau website), two plain hamburgers, and a small soda = $9.44]. We were hungry and inhaled EVERYTHING!

We left around 7pm and walked over to Disney California Adventure (DCA), since Disneyland was closed for Mickey's Halloween Party; James picked up Fastpasses (FPs) for Soarin' Around the World (8:10pm) and we walked over to Paradise Pier. We rode The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure (10mins) and then got in line for Jumpin' Jellyfish.

I checked the Disneyland app and it said that Radiator Springs Racers had a standby wait of only 30mins, so we got out of the JJ line and headed there next. We stopped at Ghirardelli's for a sample along the way; pumpkin spice with caramel (YUCK!), so I gave mine to James.

Of course the RSR wait was now 50mins, and then jumped to 75mins while we were walking up, so we went to the Single Rider line; the FP return line was quite long, so maybe it had been down?

I went to the left to avoid the stairs at the exit and got on right away with two couples; the Cast Member told me either row so I asked the two ladies in the front row if they would mind letting me sit on the left side so it was easier on my right knee. They moved, but the younger of the two (mom & daughter perhaps?) was NOT HAPPY to sit in the middle (her companion offered to switch seats with her, but she said “NO”)! I thanked them both for accommodating me; however, Miss Cranky would not even acknowledge me at all! Oh well ~

I was off first and went to sit on a bench outside of Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters to wait for James; we both had the Luigi & Guido side (new tires) and James had no car to race against!

We went to ride Soarin' with our FPs around 8:25pm and could hear World of Color playing in the background. James asked for the middle section and we were in the top row!

The park was closed when we got off around 9pm, so we headed towards the exit. I stopped at Guest Relations for our anniversary buttons (personalized by Johnathan) and James headed over to The Cove Market on Harbor for 2 gallons of water ($9.60). We met up at Cold Stone Creamery for a Love It Oreo Overload and a Love It Skinny Vanilla shake ($15.48), and took everything back to our room around 9:30pm.

We enjoyed our treats and I drank A LOT of water while unpacking our stuff! We hung out in my side of the suite watching TV and I worked on our trip notes. James later went over to the other room so I could go to sleep around midnight.

Steps: 14,169
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

2. # ADS

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 (101o)
    Plan: Disneyland/DCA; World of Color Dessert Party

Actual: I slept well and got up around 7:30am; I got ready, drank a protein shake, and was out-the-door around 8:35am. I stopped at the breakfast room and toasted a bagel; I added cream cheese and ate it on my way over to the parks.

There were long lines at all of the security stations, but no waits to get into DL. As I walked down Main Street, it was 9am and the welcome message was playing.

I stopped at Peter Pan's Flight for a return time just after 9am (9:25am) and then walked next door to ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (3mins; Winky), followed by Alice in Wonderland (WALK-ON; pink caterpillar).

I stopped outside The Mad Hatter to figure out how to buy my first MaxPass ($10) and then made one (MP) for Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy for 9:45am.

I rode Peter at 9:25am and then rode Snow White's Scary Adventures (WALK-ON; Doc) and Pinocchio's Daring Journey (WALK-ON).

I walked over to Tomorrowland and rode Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (5mins; 190,300 = #39)...

...and then walked over to ride Space. Once I had checked in, I got a MP for Star Tours ~ The Adventures Continue around 9:55am (10:20am) and then rode Space via the disabled entrance (to avoid the stairs at the exit).

Note: Space Mountain is my favorite ride and this was the first time riding with the Ghost Galaxy overlay; I must say I was VERY disappointed with this version. It seemed so tacky knowing what Disney can do; I definitely can mark this off of my to-do list and try to skip visits during Halloween from now on!

I stopped to get the Space picture number at the kiosk (they are always off the monitors by the time I get off the ride), since all pictures are free with my MaxPass benefit...

...and then stopped to ride Star Tours with my MP around 10:30am (Darth Vader, Wookie planet, Admiral Ackbar, & Coruscant); I also got a MP for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad around this time (10:50am) and headed towards that ride's exit via Fantasyland after I got off of ST.

I saw Woody off to the side of the Big Thunder Mountain Trail and stopped for a picture with him...

...and then checked-in at the exit to ride BTMR with my MP around 11am (again avoiding the stairs up to the ride platform).

I got a MP for Indiana Jones Adventure (11:20am) and stopped at the Golden Horseshoe Saloon for mozzarella sticks and a large Diet Coke ($12.39, after the 10% AP discount); I appreciated the LOVELY A/C while enjoying my lunch!

I also updated my trip notes and got a MP for Guardians of the Galaxy ~ Mission: BREAKOUT at 11:45am (1:20pm)!

I went to the restroom in Adventureland, which they were expanding during my last visit ~ WOW, very nice!

I walked over to ride Indy around 12:15pm with my MP, where the inside queue went all the way to the bat cave! I was put in the front row and later able to avoid the stairs at the exit.

My right foot was getting a hot spot, so I sat down by the Information Booth outside of the Jolly Holiday Bakery to adjust the sock and shoe. I could see on the wait board that Pirates of the Caribbean was only 5mins; in hindsight, I should have ridden it then as the queue was long the rest of the trip!

I looked though the shops on Main Street and then went back to First Aid to get some Band-Aids for my foot. I took care of that and then crossed over to DCA around 12:45pm.

I stopped to ride Monsters Inc. (15mins) and then went next door to the Chase Disney Visa meet & greet (no wait); I was very surprised to see Pluto, as I didn't know that the line-up had changed! He was very loveable and playful ~ a fun interaction!

I refilled my water bottle and went to GotG at 1:30pm, where I encountered a very long FP return line ~ "Born to be Wild" ~ LOVE IT!!!

I had scheduled a MP for Soarin' before I rode GotG, so I went over to ride that just after 2pm; I got on quickly as they were filling an empty spot (C3)!

While waiting for Soarin', I had scheduled a MP around 2:15pm for Toy Story Midway Mania (3:30pm); however, I later cancelled it around 2:45pm and made one for Haunted Mansion Holiday instead (3:45pm) ~ I'm LOVING this flexibility!

I walked back to DL, stopped for a cherry Goofy's Glacier ($5.32, after the 10% AP discount) inside the Candy Palace, and found a seat outside to relax and listen to the piano player.

I noticed I had missed a call from James, so I called him back to tell him where I was. He met me and went inside Coke Corner for chili in a bread bowl (J), hot dog & chips (me), and a large Diet Coke for us to share along with the Goofy's Glacier ($21.30, after the 10% AP discount).

I bought a MaxPass for James while he was getting our food ($10), cancelled my MP for HMH, and made new reservations for BTMR around 3:30pm (for 3:40pm!).

Mickey's Soundsational Parade came by while we were eating, and we left for BTMR around 3:45pm; after riding I scheduled a MP for HMH (5:35pm) and then we came back through Fantasyland from BTM Trail and I got us a return time for Peter Pan at 4:15pm (for 4:35pm ~ only 20mins away!)!

We walked over to Star Wars Launch Bay and did the Chase Disney Visa meet & greet with Darth Vader (always a pleasure!).

I sat down to check my foot afterwards and there were 2 Stormtroopers roaming around inside, interacting with the few guests who were present. I tried to do a selfie with one of them, and failed miserably (accidentally turned the camera off instead of pushing the picture button ~ LOL), so he grabbed a passerby to take a proper photo!

James was over in the store and missed the entire interaction. 

...to be continued
    Pam
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 (101o) ~ Part II

I met back up with James and we went to ride Peter, before heading over to ride the Mark Twain Riverboat around 5:10pm; this was our first chance to see the recent changes to the river line ~ COOL!

We looked through a few stores and then rode HMH with our MPs around 5:40pm; I then made new reservations for Soarin' (6:35pm).

We went over to DCA around 6pm and James looked through Off the Page while I sat in the lobby of the Animation Academy to enjoy some A/C & music while resting my sore foot!

We met back up, went to ride Soarin' around 6:45pm (C1), and then walked over to ride Ariel at 7:10pm before getting in the long line for the World of Color Dessert Party.

We were near the end of the line and seated with two ladies around 7:45pm; Julian took our drink order (Sprite for James and champagne for me) and brought us our food to enjoy. I asked for an extra bread basket and then later a Diet Coke (James' second drink for myself), and was disappointed there was no Fun Wheel Challenge tonight.

When WoC started at 8:15pm, someone in the section in front of us put their kid on their shoulders, effectively blocking the view of the 2 ladies seated with us; they ended up moving to the empty table next to us so they could see the expensive show they paid to see (we could see fine from our seats)!

A great show as always, and so nice to be off of my sore feet for a while!

Julian boxed up our leftovers when the show was over around 8:45pm; DCA was now closed but DL was scheduled to stay open until 11pm, so we made a MP for Star Tours at 9:15pm.

However, by the time we got to the Esplanade I decided I was too tired and sore to continue, so I cancelled the MP and we headed towards Harbor. We went to McD's for a BOGO Artisan Chicken sandwich, 2 plain burgers, and a large Diet Dr. Pepper ($10.41), and we each ate one of our respective sandwiches there in the restaurant before taking everything else back to the room.

We put the leftovers in the fridge and James got me some ice for my knee and shoulder. I took my shoes and socks off and was SHOCKED at the HUGE blister that had formed on the ball of my right foot (I guess I didn't have the Band-Aids in the right spot)!

I took a shower and then James doctored my blisters while I worked on my trip notes ~ I guess I will have to wear sandals tomorrow so I can walk! The ones I brought are not the most comfortable; they were only meant to be worn around the motel!

I was in bed around 11pm, and James headed over to his room for the night.

Steps: 23,092
    Pam

Thursday, October 26, 2017 (92o)
    Plan: Disneyland/DCA; probable lunch at Blue Bayou

Actual: OMG ~ what was I thinking? I should have gone to sleep but I stayed up until 12:30am playing Candy Crush while "A Knight's Tale" played on TV! I was SO tired when my alarm went off at 6:30am, but I really wanted to ride GotG this morning. I got up, drank a protein shake, got ready, & found 2 MORE blisters! They are now on both feet so I doctored them before I left the room wearing flip-flops around 7:40am.

I stopped at the breakfast room and toasted 2 slices of bread since there were no bagels; I also picked up a chocolate mini muffin and wrapped it up in a napkin to take with me. I ate the toast while walking over to the Resort and waited about 10mins to get through the security lines; there were no lines for the parks (just like yesterday) and I was inside DCA just before 8am.

I purchased MaxPass ($10) and immediately made a reservation for GotG (9:02am); I then walked over to TSMM and went through the queue, which was practically a walk-on! I crossed over to the disabled access (so I could avoid the stairs after the ride) and was seated alone on the next vehicle.

I scored 166,500...

...and asked the CM at the end if I could just go back through the queue to ride again and he let me get back on (I'd already gotten out & he saw how hard it was for me to do so) since no one was waiting and the queue was still practically non-existent (Magic Moment #1)!

I scored 165,600 this time...

...and the same CM asked me if I wanted to ride again, so I said SURE (Magic Moment #2)!

Now I scored 161,600...

...and I expected to get off since there were now guests waiting to ride, but the same CM let me stay on again since there was room enough for of us (Magic Moment #3)!

However, my good luck ran out when the ride stopped just before we got our scores! The lights came on and we were eventually evacuated and given an "anytime" FP good for any attraction other than RSR and GotG.

I made a MP at 9am for Soarin' (9:05am) and then realized I still had the 3D glasses, so I took them back over to the CM. I then walked over to ride GotG around 9:15am (stopping for a sample at Ghirardelli's along the way), and encountered a very long FP return line that moved very slowly ("Born to be Wild").

Before the ride started, I saw a small service animal loaded into a crate in the hallway outside the ride vehicle; I'd never seen that happen before, and I was wondering how that dog was going to ride in the elevator!

I was off around 9:50am and made a MP for Space (10am), before riding Soarin' with my earlier MP. I had just walked up the exit ramp and the toe strap pulled out of my left flip-flop just as James called to tell me he was up & would meet me at Blue Bayou at 11:30am.

I put the strap back in and walked gingerly over to see if they had any sandals at Elias & Co.; they had a few of the same type of construction but none in my size, so I headed over to the Emporium at DL. I went in the back entrance and asked a CM, who showed me several different kinds; she asked if I'd prefer cloth straps and showed me a perfect pair that fit me and was very affordable ($14.54, after the 10% AP discount)!

I had made a MP for Buzz (10:40am) when I was leaving DCA earlier; it was now 10:45am and I thought I could still do Space before lunch so I headed over there; they had no one waiting so the 2 CMs sent me right in with no wait ~ they didn't even scan my ticket!

I was off at 11am, stopped to get my ride photo loaded on to my account, and then went to ride Buzz with the MP (151,800)...

...while in line I cancelled tomorrow's dining reservation at BB and also tossed the mini muffin as the napkin had stuck to it and it was gross!

...to be continued
    Last edited by Pammer; 01-15-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Pam

Thursday, October 26, 2017 (92o) ~ Part II

James called me as I left Buzz around 11:20am to say he was going through security, and I walked over to check us in at BB; there was a long line but I was checked in and seated on time around 11:30am at a waterside table!

Melania was our wonderful server and she came over to get my drink order (Diet Coke); while waiting for James, I bought MaxPass for him ($10) and made GotG reservations for the both of us (3:25pm).

James called from the lobby to ask where the table was and joined me a minute later just as Melania returned with my drink and a class of water for him; he then ordered a Mint Julep with a glow cube, and another server brought us our bread. I'd mentioned that we were celebrating our 33rd anniversary and Melania brought me a glow cube (on a plate) when she brought James' drink ~ LOL!

Since my favorite meal (flat iron steak) is no longer on the menu, I ordered the Surf & Turf with no veggies nor bearnaise sauce, but with extra BB potatoes...

...James ordered the Portobello mushroom with the salad. We were very hungry by now and enjoyed our delicious meal!

Melania brought us the Mickey icon mousse dessert they usually serve for birthdays and we enjoyed that too!

Melania boxed up the leftover bread and gave us to-go drinks when we left around 12:30pm ($115, after the 10% AP discount); we stopped so James could check my feet and then we headed over to DCA.

We looked through Elias & Co., admired the new Dooney & Bourke Tinker Bell purse, and then I was eligible to get another MP for Soarin' around 1pm (3:20pm). Our next stop was the Disney Visa meet & greet with Pluto.

I checked the APP and it showed RSR was closed, yet Mater's Graveyard JamBOOree showed a 5min wait, so we headed to Cars Land via "a bug's land"; however, we checked the RSR attraction in person and it was up (standby was showing 20mins and single rider was only 5-10mins), so we rode via SR instead TWICE! (I was able to add my photos to our account, but never remembered to tell James to get his photo numbers so I could add them too.)

Now RSR standby is 90mins and the SR queue is quite long, so we went to the bathrooms by Flo's V8 Caf and James checked my feet again; afterwards we rode Mater's around 2:15pm (5mins) and then went to get samples at the Boudin Bakery Tour & Ghirardelli's (still pumpkin spice & caramel, so I gave mine to James, along with the one I got earlier).

We were still trying to kill time and stay cool, so we headed over to the Disney Animation lobby to hang out for a bit; I made GotG ~ Monsters After Dark reservations at 3pm (5:05pm) then we watched Turtle Talk with Crush immediately thereafter.

We sat in the lobby for a few more minutes then went to ride the regular GotG with the first MP around 3:25pm ("I Want You Back")...

...and then Soarin' around 4:10pm with that MP.

We went back into Hollywood Land and saw the "Thor ~ Ragnarok" sneak peek preview around 4:45pm (looks like a fun movie & Chris Hemsworth is gorgeous!) before heading back to the Animation lobby for a few more minutes prior to riding GotG ~ MAD at 5:05pm with our MP (fun, but I like the original attraction's storyline better).

We had originally planned to go to Pizza Press for dinner, but I was way too tired for that; we still had yesterday's leftovers from McD's, but I stopped at Award Wieners around 5:35pm for a hot dog & fruit combo plus the seasonal "Lightning Pop" red creme frozen drink with a Thor glow hammer ($15.87, after the 10% AP discount).

We went back to the room to eat our dinner; the hot dog was great and the drink reminded me of the frozen Butterbeer at Universal Studios! James ate his leftover chicken sandwich and my leftover hamburger, then we both decided to skip going back to DL as my feet hurt way too much & James was getting tired as he'd had trouble getting to sleep last night again.

We watched TV and I updated trip notes, showered, and iced my knee & shoulder (I have a bad rotator cuff; getting older sucks!); I was in bed around 11pm and this time went to sleep earlier than I had the night before!

Steps: 19,522
    Last edited by Pammer; 01-15-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Pam

Friday, October 27, 2017 (our 33rd Anniversary) (84o)
    Plan: Disneyland/DCA; possible lunch at Blue Bayou

Actual: Happy 33rd anniversary to us! My alarm went off at 6:30am and I was slow to roll out of bed due to sore feet & legs. I did my usual morning routine and was out the door around 7:50am, stopping to pick up a bagel with cream cheese along the way. Security lines were long again, but the lines into both parks were short as had been the norm for me this week.

I was walking down Main Street by 8:15am and went to Peter Pan to get a return time (8:42am); I kept trying to buy my MaxPass, but it wouldn't go through until 8:30am ($10) ~ maybe it took that long to figure out I was inside the park?

I scheduled a MP for Space & rode Toad (3mins; Cyril), Alice (5mins; green caterpillar), Pinocchio (2mins), and Snow White (2mins; Bashful) in rapid succession, and then it was time to ride Peter around 8:45am!

I walked over to Tomorrowland and saw that ST was only 5mins, so I asked to ride via the elevator and was on within a few minutes (Darth Vader, Hoth, Yoda, & Coruscant)!

I next scheduled a MP for HMH (9:25am) and then rode Space one last time with my MP around 9:10am...

...Buzz was next after a 5min wait (245,300 = #67)...

...and I also scheduled another MP, this time with BTMR at 9:42am for 9:45am!

I walked right over to the exit of BTMR to ride with the MP and then walked over to check out the exit queue of Pirates; there were lots of guests lined up in there, so I left to ride HMH with my MP just after 10am.

After HMH, I headed over to watch Beauty and the Beast at 10:45am, but saw that the regular queue for Pirates wasn't too long so I got in line; while waiting I scheduled a MP for Indy around 10:25am (11:25am).

I was off around 11:10am (I was in the front row & remembered I was in the front row the very first time I rode this back in 1972!) and checked out the queue for Bengal BBQ; it was quite long so I went to GHS for mozzarella sticks, fries, and a large Diet Coke ($12.39, after the 10% AP discount).

I relaxed inside while I ate and scheduled a MP for GotG around 11:30am (2:25pm); I also enjoyed a fun performance by Silver Dollar Six too!

I went to the Adventureland restrooms and then watched the Enchanted Tiki Room show at 12pm...

...before getting over to ride Indy around 12:20pm (just before the MP expired).

I next headed over to DCA around 12:45pm and went to Guest Services to see if my "anytime" FP from yesterday could be used today; they activated it and told me to ask the CM at the attraction so James could use it at Soarin' when I used my MP (I made one around 1pm for 2:30pm).

I walked over to the Disney Visa meet & greet around 1:20pm and saw Pluto (again; I wonder who the other characters are now?); we had a lot of fun together dancing to the swing-type music we could hear in the background! (Great interaction!)

I watched the "Thor" movie preview again and then went to First Aid for some relief for my feet; RN Marie was very helpful and gave me an assortment of Band-Aids, Neosporin, & antiseptic wipes!

I went over to ride GotG at 2:25pm and James called to say he was in the park while I was waiting in line; I told him where I was and to meet me at Soarin' around 3pm ("Hit Me with Your Best Shot").

I bought a MP for James ($10) and we met up around 3pm at Soarin' as expected; I told the CM about my "anytime" FP and my MP, so she had me scan my ticket first, then had James scan his ticket, and then she did her magic with her scanner to override the blue light to make it turn green so we could enter together (Magic Moment for our anniversary!)!

We waited an extra cycle to be in Row B1 and then exited through the Grand Californian Hotel entrance; we looked through their store before heading over to Rainforest Cafe around 4pm. I checked us in at the grey elephant with my Landry's Select Club card and was told to go straight upstairs (James walked up the stairs and I took the elevator).

They seated us at a table furthest from the stairs and I ordered a Diet Coke and the pepperoni flatbread; James ordered a raspberry tea and Anaconda pasta ($51)...

...I later remembered that I should have asked for a 10% discount DL AP or AAA or AARP) since I was paying with a Gift Card (you dont earn points when you pay via a GC) ~ oh well!

Our server was Alyssa; she kept our drinks filled but the food was slow to arrive; we may have gotten in behind a bunch of other orders.

About this time I realized that I was getting a sore throat; darn it, I just got over a cold about a week ago!

We left around 5pm and looked through the retail store, buying two RFC long-sleeved shirts ($32.33; one for James and one for me), before walking over to ride the Monorail (Red) into DL.

...to be continued
    Pam

Friday, October 27, 2017 (our 33rd Anniversary) (84o) ~ Part II

I made MP reservations for Buzz (5:45pm) and we headed over to SWLB to see Darth Vader at the Disney Visa meet & greet; however, he apparently wasn't available so they took us over to the Dark Side meet & greet to be first in line to see Kylo Ren (we enjoyed seeing him again).

I went to the Space store to buy the retro Space Mountain t-shirt ($24.23, after the 10% AP discount) and then met up with James inside Star Traders, where I bought a Star Wars tank top ($31.99, after the 10% AP discount).

We then walked over to ride Buzz with our MP just after 6pm; we rode separately and James outscored me (as always) 784,600 (#58) vs. my 208,300!

DL was closing at 7pm for another Halloween party, so we went over to get a return time at Jungle Cruise; it was less than 10mins away, so we looked through the Adventureland Bazaar while waiting; we hadn't noticed that the ride was a walk-on and it would have been quicker to go that way rather than the disabled entrance, but at least I had extra time to get in & out of the boat this way! We had to wait a few boats and then had a female skipper to entertain us.

It was quite crowded now and almost 7pm, so we looked through the shops on Main Street; James picked out another Tinker Bell purse for me that was lighter weight and less expensive than the D&B purse, and we bought that, along with another pair of sandals, a DL car magnet, and the DL promotion backpack ($118.45, after the 10% AP discount).

DCA was open until midnight tonight, but the APP showed all of the FP return times were either gone or too far out; we figured everything would have long rides with DL being closed so we decided to head out around 7:30pm.

My feet hurt and I had that darn sore throat, so we walked over to the Cove Market for moleskin and Hall's ($12.70), and then we went to McD's where James got the BOGO Artisan chicken sandwich again, plus a couple of plain burgers for me to go ($7.94).

We next stopped at CSC for a Love It Skinny Vanilla shake with Oreos and M&Ms ($8.98) and were back in our room by 8:15pm. James ate his sandwiches and watched "Gold Rush" and a few other shows, while I finished off my shake (I saved my burgers for breakfast, as I planned to sleep in tomorrow morning ).

I was too tired and sore to update my trip notes and just kept dozing off and on; I finally took my shower and we said good night around midnight.

Steps: 23,243
    Pam

Saturday, October 28, 2017 (80o)
    Plan: Check-out of the Desert Inn; DL/DCA; fly home in the afternoon

Actual: I was up every couple of hours before finally getting up around 9am to start packing; I ate my leftover burgers for breakfast and James was up just before 10am. We got ready and left the room around 11am (maid tip = $5, since we hadn't had service during our stay as per our decision), stopping at the Locker room; unfortunately, there was only one available so not all of our stuff would fit! We stuffed things in and paid the $1.50, then realized that he had forgotten a bag so we had to rearrange things and pay another $1.50! We took the large suitcase with us to the lobby when we checked out ($1,029.60), and then they had us take it back to their locked Storage room next to the Locker room to store it.

The guy gave us a claim check and then James went to McD's for another Artisan chicken sandwich and OJ ($7.63; I later realized that I should have given him a 10% off coupon, since he wasn't doing the BOGO this time); I hobbled over to the Resort.

The security lines were shorter than what I had been encountering at park opening all week (about 5-10mins now) and Security CM Nick was very thorough! I went into DL and realized that I had James' AP, so I called him to let him know and that I would wait for him by the exit and hand it through the bars to him when he got there.

I bought the MP for me ($10) and then got a Buzz MP at 11:40am (11:55am); it was only for one person, so I will let James ride on my ticket since this is his favorite attraction. He had LONG security lines all the way back to the bus drop-off when he came over not too long after me and it took him nearly 20mins to get through!

I handed him his pass and started up the stairs very slowly at the train station; by the time I got to the top of the stairs, he had caught up to me! We got on the next train around 12:15pm and rode full circle, hoping to see some of the Star Wars Land construction and the updated Grand Canyon diorama.

We were off around 30mins later and James took my ticket to go ride Buzz; he found a long FP return line (out to the umbrellas at the ride entrance!) and was finally off just after 1pm (543,400 = #41).

I sauntered up Main Street, taking photos of the Halloween decor...

...to be continued
    Pam

Saturday, October 28, 2017 (80o) ~ Part II

I noticed that the Castle already had snow on it (was that there on Wednesday? I need to check my phone photos)!

I sat outside Buzz until James arrived and then we went over to get photos in front of the Castle; there were long lines for the two photographers, so James stood in line while I sat down to the side to wait our turn. We took our photos...

...and then went out to the front of the park to take photos in front of the floral Mickey.

We bid farewell to the Uncle Walt and the Resort...

...and headed back to the motel around 1:45pm; we collected our luggage and SuperShuttle picked us up within our window. (I was wondering why I'd never received any texts either on Tuesday or today and realized I had mistakenly listed our home phone on the reservation, rather than my cell phone number ~ OOPS!)

We had a FAST driver and arrived very quickly at the airport (tip = $4); I checked our two bags in, got our boarding passes (A45 & A46), and we waited less than 2mins for TSA pre-boarding.

We next went over to Carl's for a $6 burger combo and bean burrito ($16.56; we shared the fries and Coke Zero) and sat in their seating area to eat our lunch.

We headed over to Gate 19 to wait for our plane to arrive, and I went into the restroom to change into my skort and tennis shoes; we boarded and sat together in the exit row behind the 2-seater row (the second seat was being saved by the man sitting there, and his companion was amongst the last to board; I was annoyed and thought that I should have had first dibs on that seat since I boarded before her, but oh well!).

The plane was completely full; we pushed back on-time at 4:15pm and I worked on my trip notes on the way home. I had Diet Dr. Pepper and James had his usual ginger ale, along with the peanuts & pretzels they provided to us; we also played a word search game together on my phone.

We landed 15mins early, retrieved our luggage, took the shuttle to the car, and paid for parking ($50); we drove home, stopped at the store for a few groceries, and arrived home around 7pm ~ another trip in the books. 

Steps: 10,849

Up Next: Our APs expired on November 12th, so we let them lapse since we don't have anything planned in the near future; instead we bought new Deluxe AP vouchers from the Disney Store using discounted gift cards purchased at Sam's Club, and will activate them whenever we go in 2018. I do have a friend who wants to go, so I currently have flights, dining, & lodging booked for February 24-27 with her. 

Summary: It was another fun trip with James, even though I had a lot of solo time in the parks.

Highlights include:

• Being at Disneyland for our anniversary again!
    • Our delicious meals at the Blue Bayou (waterside table) and the Rainforest Cafe, plus the World of Color Dessert Party
    • Seeing the Resort dressed up for Halloween
    • MAXPASS!!!
    • Riding Toy Story Midway Mania four times in a row!
    • Experiencing four different versions of Guardians of the Galaxy!

Lowlights include:

• The extreme heat (it's late October, for goodness sake)!
    • My foot blisters
    • The lack of A/C in the shuttle van
    • Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy (they need to improve this lame Halloween overlay)
    • My sore throat, although it luckily didn't develop until near the end of the trip!

Until next time...have a magical day!
    Pam

I love your reports. Happy Anniversary belated. I love how easy it is to park hop there. Max pass sounds really worth the cost. Hope your feet recovered quickly. Thanks for taking the time to post your report and pics

Quote Originally Posted by suejacken View Post
    I love your reports. Happy Anniversary belated. I love how easy it is to park hop there. Max pass sounds really worth the cost. Hope your feet recovered quickly. Thanks for taking the time to post your report and pics
    Thanks Sue! I really loved MaxPass; it was well worth the cost, I thought. When I activate my next AP, I plan to purchase the annual option for it!
    Pam

Hi Pam!
    Great trip report as always!!!

I am SO envious that you flew over Yosemite!! I would LOVE to do that!!

I am a bit out of touch with Disneyland, so reading your report is the first that I have heard of the new MaxPass! It sounds amazing!! Can you still get the old paper fast passes or is that gone?

2 gallons of water for $9.60!!!!! YIKES!!!!! I know prices are higher on the west coast then what we have here on the east coast, but dang!!!!

I am in awe of James!! You wrote how hot it was and in every picture he was in pants and long sleeves!!! I would LOVE to have a body temperature that I could do that!!!

4 rides on TSM!!!! Woohoo!!!!! That is awesome!!!

So would you do the World of Color dessert party again? I know on our last trip out there, our legs were so tired and we were so packed in like sardines to watch the show, that I wished we had done that.

Great trip report and photos Pam!! Thanks for sharing!

Yes to paper fast passes. Only they are digital also. The paper that comes from the machine is just a reminder and you have to scan your ticket (either physical or in app) at the FP returns.

Quote Originally Posted by FortWilderness IsHome View Post
    Hi Pam! Great trip report as always!!!
    Thanks Heidi!

I am SO envious that you flew over Yosemite!! I would LOVE to do that!!
    Yeah - usually I'm on the aisle and can't really see it, but this time I was closer to the window!

I am a bit out of touch with Disneyland, so reading your report is the first that I have heard of the new MaxPass! It sounds amazing!! Can you still get the old paper fast passes or is that gone?
    As candles said, they still have the free version where you scan your ticket and the machine spits out a paper ticket, but it is just a reminder of when to return...it's expected that they will do away with those paper tickets at some time in the future. When you return to use the FP, you scan your ticket again to be admitted (it sounds similar to what I think you do at WDW with your Magic Band now; I haven't been to WDW since 2013, so I'm not positive if that's true); some attractions have two scan points, but I'm not sure which ones. I think if you use the DL app and have your pass linked to your account, that your regular FPs show up there too, but again I can't remember for sure (old brain).

2 gallons of water for $9.60!!!!! YIKES!!!!! I know prices are higher on the west coast then what we have here on the east coast, but dang!!!!
    Yes...good old CA, especially in the proximity of DL! If you have transportation, it's much cheaper to drive down to Target or Dollar Tree and buy a gallon for a buck or so!

I am in awe of James!! You wrote how hot it was and in every picture he was in pants and long sleeves!!! I would LOVE to have a body temperature that I could do that!!!
    He likes to cover up to avoid sunburn and wears long-sleeves & jeans year-round! He has a great metabolism, but still gets hot and won't go in the summer months; we didn't expect late October to be THAT hot! I was wearing a Kool-Tie around my neck, and was still overheating all afternoon.

4 rides on TSM!!!! Woohoo!!!!! That is awesome!!!
    I know! Usually the only time we can get that great of luck will be on Thursday mornings first thing (no early entry to DCA) in the off-season, whenever that is nowadays!

So would you do the World of Color dessert party again? I know on our last trip out there, our legs were so tired and we were so packed in like sardines to watch the show, that I wished we had done that.
    This is the second time I've done it; the first was with great-niece Molly last June. It's a bit pricey, but well worth the cost for me since it just about kills my back & feet to stand so long on concrete. In fact, I have reservations to do it again with my friend when we go at the end of February!
    Pam

Water was cheaper at the new CVS on the corner of Harbor and Katella as well. I bought a case of water bottles for what I'd pay at CVS around here.
    Yes WDW you scan either the magic band or your ticket. We were offsite so no magic bands.
    The 2 with 2 scan points I can think of are Space and RSR. Both of which get line jumpers at points CMs aren't watching. Possibly Splash for the same reason, but we loaded from handicap both times so I'm not sure about this one. I could see Thunder as well. I'm thinking its the same ones that had you hang onto your FP at the entrance and collected them at a later merge point.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Water was cheaper at the new CVS on the corner of Harbor and Katella as well. I bought a case of water bottles for what I'd pay at CVS around here.
    I've also used the 7-11 at Harbor & Katella to buy water, but only with transportation...I get enough walking around the parks!

Yes WDW you scan either the magic band or your ticket. We were offsite so no magic bands.
    Thanks for clarifying! I usually stay offsite when I go to WDW, but hadn't paid too close attention to their changes yet since I don't have a trip planned there anytime soon.

The 2 with 2 scan points I can think of are Space and RSR. Both of which get line jumpers at points CMs aren't watching. Possibly Splash for the same reason, but we loaded from handicap both times so I'm not sure about this one. I could see Thunder as well. I'm thinking its the same ones that had you hang onto your FP at the entrance and collected them at a later merge point.
    Aaahhhh...since I use the disabled entrance to avoid the stairs, I haven't encountered any yet!
    Pam

Yeah we had my mil. It's why I am assuming for Thunder and Splash. Exit for both rides with her.
    Space you get to the top of the entrance ramp and you see people try to hop the chain from the standby line into the FP line. Regularly. So there is a second scan point at the point the lines merge.

Space you get to the top of the entrance ramp and you see people try to hop the chain from the standby line into the FP line. Regularly. So there is a second scan point at the point the lines merge.
    That makes so much sense, since they aren't collecting paper tickets at the merge point anymore!
    Pam

I am late to the party...........just trying to catch up. Loved the report!!
    Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by EJ4Disney View Post
    I am late to the party...........just trying to catch up. Loved the report!!
    Ellen
    Thanks Ellen! I'm writing up the latest report now, so keep an eye out for it soon!
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    Thanks Ellen! I'm writing up the latest report now, so keep an eye out for it soon!
    Yippee!! We're waiting

Quote Originally Posted by spectromen View Post
    Yippee!! We're waiting
    Like the old Mervyn's ads..... "Open, open, open..."

Quote Originally Posted by spectromen View Post
    Yippee!! We're waiting
    Like the old Mervyn's ads..... "Open, open, open..."
    LOL...Preparing to post now!
    Pam