Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your plans for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening

Your plans for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening

I know we are over a year away but I was wondering if anyone here planned on going to Star Wars Galaxy's Edge on opening day? I know it will be insanely packed but I don't mind crowds for big events like these. (went to CarsLand three days after opening and that was crazy, went to Disneyland on actual 60th Anniversary date and that was a bit crazy too)

I talked to my wife and two boys about this recently and wife and youngest said that they would wait to go when things died down a bit. Oldest said he would come with me but by the time GE opens he may be (hopefully) away for work or in the service. Whatever the case I plan on going and will book a place to stay once an announcement is made as to when the official opening day is. Sure it will be insane but I kind of like the specialness of that, being a part of history, a big event like this.

So anyone else plan on going that day or am I the only crazy one here?

2. # ADS

I'm staying away 'til the dust settles, if ever.

I'm assuming it will be insanely popular though for an extended period of time, a la RSR, but as a whole land, so exponentially more crowded, so we may have to bite the bullet and book a DLR hotel stay to take advantage of an early entry program, if and when that is available.

But certainly no on opening day, whenever that is.

We had planned to stay away from the craziness of Carsland. Then we won party passes. That was glorious. Whistler and I had aps so bought one day Disneyland tickets for the girls and went to Disneyland the day Carsland actually opened. At one point in the 90 minute Matterhorn line (it reopened that day as well) we heard there was a 3 hour RSR line PLUS a 2 hour line to get into Carsland as it was at capacity.
    We expect the same kind of craziness. Unless we win party passes again, it will be awhile before we experience Galaxy's Edge.

I plan to wait it out for either DL or WDW, at least several month's most likely.

I was talking to the CM that was at the model of Galaxy's Edge in Launch Bay on Thursday evening, and she mentioned waiting maybe a year before trying to bring any of her family members to see it. I thought that was a bit extreme for a local and/or CM, but it gives me a point of reference for what kind of insanity to expect.

It may be a good "I was there" moment, but I doubt it would be considered an overall successful visit. With your comments about not minding the crowds and liking being part of the history, it sounds like you are prepared for the insanity of it.

I think candles71's remarks about the opening of Carsland is a good example. I can easily see getting there, maybe (hopefully?) doing each ride once and waiting forever for some food a few times in between as the sum of the whole day in the park on the GE opening day. That probably also requires being there significantly before rope drop to be able to queue up for the massive crush of people headed for the new land when the park opens that day.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    That probably also requires being there significantly before rope drop to be able to queue up for the massive crush of people headed for the new land when the park opens that day.
    They allowed people to get in line at 7PM (ish) the night before for Carsland. The queue was switchbacks all the way across the esplanade to the Monorail track, with "fire breaks" for safety.

It sounds crazy but I wouldn't mind lining up the night before. I've been to other events before where you line up and amidst the buzz and excitement in waiting you can form little bonds in striking up conversations with the strangers around you. You talk about where you're from, what you're excited about, you help save each others place in line to go grab food or go to the bathroom, etc. By nature I am not usually the small talk, chatty with strangers type but in these types of situations I find that I am, it must be the excitement, giddiness with others who are stoked about the same things I am, all there to experience the same thing.

Isn't there a rumor that MaxPass won't be applicable to GE for like it's first year? I thought I saw that somewhere. Someone correct me if I am wrong. However if it is available it would definitely be worth it. I also don't mind going straight to the FastPass distribution even if it means I don't get on the attractions until later in the day. Also of note is that if GE is packed it means other areas of the park and/or DCA will have less traffic. I'm being glass half-full guy right now haha. Whatever the case my tentative plan is to be there, even if the rest of my family don't want to/can't go. A lot of my most productive trips are when I am by myself anyways haha

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    ......... Also of note is that if GE is packed it means other areas of the park and/or DCA will have less traffic. I'm being glass half-full guy right now haha......
    IMO, I would think that won't necessarily be true. There will be die hard fans that will be trying to get into GE no matter what(waiting overnight, etc.), but then there will be those who aren't admitted to GE due to capacity of the land (ending up in other sections of DL and/or DCA) or at least more casual fans who may bail on GE waiting/crowds even if the land itself isn't at capacity(though it sounds like it easily could be, if Cars Land can be used as a recent example). Those people will end up elsewhere in the parks as well. Maybe a few (presumably locals with APs) may go home if they wish to escape the masses, but I suspect that would be a small number of guests (since the local AP holders mostly understand the crowd thing). All, IMHO, of course.

Let us know how it goes after you do it next year! I want to read the first GE trip report.
    -Dave

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    I know we are over a year away but I was wondering if anyone here planned on going to Star Wars Galaxy's Edge on opening day? I know it will be insanely packed but I don't mind crowds for big events like these. (went to CarsLand three days after opening and that was crazy, went to Disneyland on actual 60th Anniversary date and that was a bit crazy too)
    I'm actually hoping to get into Batuu BEFORE official opening day! I'm hoping for an AP preview or a pay preview event (like they did when Tower of Terror got changed to Mission Breakout), or even something attached to the D23 Expo, if they hold it in Anaheim next year.

But, in any case, yep, I'll be there on opening day. Heck, I may be there opening week. It's not even really the rides I'm interested in, though I'm actually a bit more intrigued about the Falcon ride. I haven't really paid that much attention to it and don't know what really it's supposed to be like, but I had the impression it was a simulator ride. After having just ridden Flight of Passage at Pandora in Animal Kingdom at WDW and being completely amazed by it, I'm wondering if they're going to use something like that for the Falcon ride. Mostly, though, I just want to wander around Batuu, look at the spaceport and then wander around the Resistance camp, and staring at life-size versions of x-wings and the Falcon.

We were there on the May pre-opening date for DL's 50th anniversary, and we were there for the opening day of Carsland (though by that point, between an AP preview night and getting into a free preview day, we'd already gone on the rides and looked around at the details, so on opening day, we just sat back and watched the ginormous crowds stream in), and I was there for the opening day of Seasons of the Force, so we're no strangers to crowds.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Much like Guardians opening, I will stay away until it is manageable.

Blog Entries

Was there for 50th, 60th, Cars Land preview, GOTG Preview.....

Hoping to be there for GE AP previews!!

Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    IMO, I would think that won't necessarily be true. There will be die hard fans that will be trying to get into GE no matter what(waiting overnight, etc.), but then there will be those who aren't admitted to GE due to capacity of the land (ending up in other sections of DL and/or DCA) or at least more casual fans who may bail on GE waiting/crowds even if the land itself isn't at capacity(though it sounds like it easily could be, if Cars Land can be used as a recent example). Those people will end up elsewhere in the parks as well. Maybe a few (presumably locals with APs) may go home if they wish to escape the masses, but I suspect that would be a small number of guests (since the local AP holders mostly understand the crowd thing). All, IMHO, of course.

Let us know how it goes after you do it next year! I want to read the first GE trip report.

Agree that its not a for sure thing to say that the rest of the park or DCA will be empty. I know my husband was saying he thinks it could be less crowded for many rides in DL because of people waiting to get into GE. It will just depend on how they set it all up. What if they decide to allow whatever number is allowed for the land in by a set time frame? Not sure it would work but they will have to find a way to let the guests in for so much time then push them out to allow others in for some time too. Otherwise you will have many that won't leave all day I would bet. Otherwise it could be that many rides might have lower wait times because of those waiting to get in the land. There will be a great deal of guests that will want to be there on the first day in the land. I am wondering how many days we are going to see Disneyland hit capacity from it. I can see it being worse then the one 24 hour party that was a nightmare of a time with the guests outside the parks not able to get in. There is a major reason we stay away from these things ourselves. That is a big one right there. We will wait on going to GE. I'm not a big fan of it being there to begin with or of Star Wars but I have those that are here. I don't need to be at something the first day its open so I will let those that want or must do it and hopefully enjoy their day when the time comes.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    What if they decide to allow whatever number is allowed for the land in by a set time frame? Not sure it would work but they will have to find a way to let the guests in for so much time then push them out to allow others in for some time too. Otherwise you will have many that won't leave all day I would bet.
    Crowd control is one of the things I've been thinking about since they announced the land would be built. You can control how many can enter with the timed entry thing (which I believe has been used in other places), but you can't control when people leave. Given the story of Batuu, you can't really sweep the land, like I've seen done at some exhibits at museums and such. At the D23 Expo last year, when they had the model up, I did get a chance to speak to one of the Imagineers that was out, and I posed that question to him. He said that while there are a lot of people who are excited to see it and spend a lot of time there, he didn't think the numbers of people who would do that would be overwhelming. I stared at him for a bit since I'm one of the ones who figures on spending entire days in Batuu. He also mentioned that they have come up with ways to encourage people to leave. I'm looking forward to seeing what that means. I'm guessing storm troopers might be involved.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Crowd control is one of the things I've been thinking about since they announced the land would be built. You can control how many can enter with the timed entry thing (which I believe has been used in other places), but you can't control when people leave. Given the story of Batuu, you can't really sweep the land, like I've seen done at some exhibits at museums and such. At the D23 Expo last year, when they had the model up, I did get a chance to speak to one of the Imagineers that was out, and I posed that question to him. He said that while there are a lot of people who are excited to see it and spend a lot of time there, he didn't think the numbers of people who would do that would be overwhelming. I stared at him for a bit since I'm one of the ones who figures on spending entire days in Batuu. He also mentioned that they have come up with ways to encourage people to leave. I'm looking forward to seeing what that means. I'm guessing storm troopers might be involved.
    LOL This is exactly the big thing...getting people to leave so new ones can come in. I think many of us have wondered how it will end up working out since we know that its going to be beyond crazy crowded and there are diehards that are either Star Wars fans anxious for this, the curious ones and then those that just want to be first. LOL So its funny that the Imagineer would say he didn't think the numbers would be overwhelming when it comes to ones staying to long. What got me was when it came out that there would be so much interaction with the land. With that I would imagine it will be harder to get many out of there to make room for others. So whatever ideas they have to make sure guests can get in, I hope its good ones and they will work because I bet they will have their work cut out for them on that.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    ............... He also mentioned that they have come up with ways to encourage people to leave. I'm looking forward to seeing what that means. I'm guessing storm troopers might be involved.
    Maybe some FP for Star Tours! That would maybe entice people to get out and to the other side of the park. Of course for die hard fans, Star Tours will be "the old model" once GE opens, so maybe not..... but it might work to get a few people out.

Maybe link it to how you did on the GE ride? If you do "x", you can earn a free FP for Star Tours, good for one hour after you do your thing at GE.
    -Dave

Well I am glad to see that there are few other crazies on here that will be there Day 1 like I plan to!

any speculation to announcing actual opening day? when do they normally announce things like this?

Always on my way to Disneyland: 84, 87, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11

Quote Originally Posted by lweigel View Post
    any speculation to announcing actual opening day? when do they normally announce things like this?
    Just as examples, they announced Toy Story Land for WDW last week for a June 30th date (approx 4 1/2 months).

I just searched the Disney Parks Blog, and they announced Cars Land/Buena Vista Street opening dates On March 7 for June 15th date, so just around 3 months. Here's a second link, this one notes that they closed DCA the day before the big opening for preparation. Wonder if that could happen for DL for the GE opening? If so they could probably use the entire rest of the park as a queue area.

The short answer (opinion ) is we have a ways to go before hearing about GE on either coast I would think. Probably at least around a year, and that would be if they announced an optimistic Memorial Day or June opening.

While I was searching, I stumbled across this story regarding how the line up was organized and what else was open, etc. Similar to what Candles stated above, though the old Parks Blog story claims a later line up time of 11PM. I would assume they realized the need to let people line up earlier after they published the story.
    Last edited by Dave1313; 02-18-2018 at 04:37 AM.
    -Dave

Like Carsland. First we got a year. Then we'll get a season, as construction delays and testing delays even out then we will get a date.
    DCA was closed the day before and there was a Carsland party/Media day. We won tickets. We had the morning block for Carsland. Then were pushed out to the rest of the park and the afternoon group got to enjoy Carsland. Until 5 or 6 when us rabble were pushed out and there was a party for higher up peeps, celebrities etc. Then entire area was covered with media. TV, print, radio stations from all over the country and Mexico and Canada were present. It was a really cool experience. Keeping my eye out for contests again for GE. This was the first time we'd ever had a walk on Toy Story experience. Tower also.
    ETA: Also keep in mind they said Spring for Carsland. Spring ends June 21.

So when is the exact date of the opening?

No one knows an exact date yet. Disney hasn't announced one.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyloves View Post
    So when is the exact date of the opening?
    We won't know until construction starts wrapping up and testing begins.

Disney just released thursday a drone video of the construction, so if anyone here can remember the drone flyover of Carsland, oh wait, drones were not invented yet, anyhow, if that timing can be correlated to Carsland rebar scaffolding imagery, then that can help. Have to give you folks credit here about realistic expectations of GE, on the other sites the attitude is currently that they can show up on opening day and all will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by curtsinore View Post
    Have to give you folks credit here about realistic expectations of GE, on the other sites the attitude is currently that they can show up on opening day and all will be fine.
    LOL If there are those that truly believe it will be so easy they are going to be in for a rude awakening. The only way I could even see it possible is IF Disney made it a prepaid event/day for opening. Yet I imagine that will be done before opening day and wouldn't be surprised if there was more then one day like that. Otherwise unless Disney comes up with a plan like the prepay for such date on a ticket system and blocking ALL APs for a certain time frame its going to be insane. I think even if this was done it would still be insane.

I will avoid the park for 6 months or more after the opening

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

We will be avoiding the parks next year short of winning a trip (haha). We have been to several openings (TOT, Nemo, Pirates re-opening after the Johnny Depp treatment), and while all of those were very busy, I think GE is going to blow this out of the water! My oldest graduates next year and he said he wants to go to San Diego Comic Con for his grad present (if we can get passes), so that looks to be the family vacation next year.