Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon - runDisney

  1. #1
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4

    Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon - runDisney

    Well - runDisney decided to get into the act of appeasing west coasters (and others) who want a Star Wars race but can't get to Florida. Its not the same as a real race weekend - but some revenue is better than zero revenue for Disney.
    https://www.rundisney.com/star-wars-...half-marathon/

    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Location
    Posts
     

  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Well - runDisney decided to get into the act of appeasing west coasters (and others) who want a Star Wars race but can't get to Florida. Its not the same as a real race weekend - but some revenue is better than zero revenue for Disney.
    More like they didn't initially realize how many people wouldn't do a race the week after Easter without the Kessel Run C2C medal.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    More like they didn't initially realize how many people wouldn't do a race the week after Easter without the Kessel Run C2C medal.
    This was my thought as well. I looked to see that only the 10k for the Dark Side was sold out so obviously they had to do something fast to try to lure people back. I'm going to let my son know about the virtual one but no chance of us doing Dark Side. To costly for us.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  5. #4
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    I got in some trouble for posting my opinion on the runDisney post about this on Facebook, so hey, I might as well get in trouble here too!

    I think it's fine that they're offering a virtual half for the light side, though I think that medal does not look at all on par with the medals they've had for the Disneyland Star Wars races in the past. However, I would not regard this "challenge" as a true Kessel Run. It's a Kessel Run Challenge with an asterisk. The Challenge is supposed to be one half-marathon on each coast, under runDisney rules and timing. Now, it's really only one race (Dark Side), and you just have to buy the second half-marathon medal (no requirement to complete the miles and no requirement as to pace or timing), and then you get the "challenge medal". Yeah, no. In 2016 and 2017, the Kessel Run Challenge was earned by those who did the races. I wouldn't consider it "real" for someone who gets the challenge medal this way.

    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    "I've seen your daily routine. You are NOT busy."

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I got in some trouble for posting my opinion on the runDisney post about this on Facebook, so hey, I might as well get in trouble here too!

    I think it's fine that they're offering a virtual half for the light side, though I think that medal does not look at all on par with the medals they've had for the Disneyland Star Wars races in the past. However, I would not regard this "challenge" as a true Kessel Run. It's a Kessel Run Challenge with an asterisk. The Challenge is supposed to be one half-marathon on each coast, under runDisney rules and timing. Now, it's really only one race (Dark Side), and you just have to buy the second half-marathon medal (no requirement to complete the miles and no requirement as to pace or timing), and then you get the "challenge medal". Yeah, no. In 2016 and 2017, the Kessel Run Challenge was earned by those who did the races. I wouldn't consider it "real" for someone who gets the challenge medal this way.
    Sad you got in some trouble for posting that. I totally get what you are saying about it. I think the fact is that Disney only came up with this at the last minute like this because they are hoping Dark Side will sell out from the news and keep the money coming in to runDisney. I wouldn't be surprised if we see other ones pop up as well so they can keep the flow of registration (and money) coming for WDW races for those that do want the extra medal like that.

    With that since we are not ones that do both coasts because of costs of it all this is a good option to keep going for us. My son goes to the gym during the week and usually runs at the end of us workouts and wants me to sign him up for it. I am debating signing on it for myself as well but we will see. I am not sure yet.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  7. #6

    Did you actually have to finish both races to get the C2C medals? If someone really wanted to buy they Kessel Run medal, couldn't they have just paid the registrations and gotten swept? I don't really see this as much different. Is it the same medal that they handed out for last year's Kessel Run? If it were a different medal for the years it will be half virtual, I don't see the big deal. Some of the comments on runDisney's page are pretty nasty attacking virtual runners, I'm surprised they don't have more moderation over there.


  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Did you actually have to finish both races to get the C2C medals? If someone really wanted to buy they Kessel Run medal, couldn't they have just paid the registrations and gotten swept? I don't really see this as much different. Is it the same medal that they handed out for last year's Kessel Run? If it were a different medal for the years it will be half virtual, I don't see the big deal. Some of the comments on runDisney's page are pretty nasty attacking virtual runners, I'm surprised they don't have more moderation over there.
    My understanding was you had to finish and couldn't be swept in order to to get the C2C/Kessel Run ones. I'm sure someone here can confirm that though. I just know that you would get the one for the race if you were swept.

    I will never understand why people feel the need to be nasty to others. Its disgusting. I didn't any of it. Yet I had glanced at the page and was actually surprised to see a few ask what happened to the races here in Cali at this point. With that there was plenty of nasty comments to anyone that asked about Cali races last year before anything was announced. I just don't get why people don't skip over stuff if they are going to behave like that. SMH Being it is a part of Disney they should have better moderation over that.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  9. #8
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I think the fact is that Disney only came up with this at the last minute like this because they are hoping Dark Side will sell out from the news and keep the money coming in to runDisney. I wouldn't be surprised if we see other ones pop up as well so they can keep the flow of registration (and money) coming for WDW races for those that do want the extra medal like that.
    Someone posited the theory that Disney had already made the Kessel Run Challenge medals and this is their way of getting rid of the inventory. I could actually see that as a possibility. I don't know what the lead time is that they need to get the medals made, so if they had to commit to ordering the Kessel Run Challenge medals by a particular date to have them available in case they were needed, and that date was before the time they actually decided not to hold the Disneyland Star Wars race, then yeah, they'd have all these medals lying around.

    I was amused that some people were now taking it to mean that they could do the virtual Star Wars half marathon and have that qualify for a Coast-to-Coast with any other WDW race. Some people want Disney to do a virtual Tink race so that they can pair that with Princess and earn a pink C2C.


    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Did you actually have to finish both races to get the C2C medals? If someone really wanted to buy they Kessel Run medal, couldn't they have just paid the registrations and gotten swept? I don't really see this as much different. Is it the same medal that they handed out for last year's Kessel Run? If it were a different medal for the years it will be half virtual, I don't see the big deal. Some of the comments on runDisney's page are pretty nasty attacking virtual runners, I'm surprised they don't have more moderation over there.
    Yes, you have to actually finish the half marathons in order to get any of the C2C medals or the Castle-to-Chateau medal. I know that if you get swept, you still get the medal for that race, but if you were doing a 10K/half challenge (like the Rebel Challenge) and got swept on the half, I'm not sure if you get the combo medal in that case, but you definitely didn't get the C2C medal. When I did Tink last year, something got screwy, so when I finished the half, I had to go to the resolution line before they could give me the Pixie Dust Challenge medal. The woman in front of me was expecting her C2C (or pink C2C, I'm not sure which), and I heard her being told that even though she received a medal for the WDW half, she had been swept and didn't have a completion time and therefore wasn't eligible for the C2C.

    As far as buying the Kessel Run medal, they could also simply buy the medal off eBay or Craigslist or whatever, as it's my understanding they're available there. That's a different story.

    From the picture they posted, the medal looks the same as the Kessel Run Challenge for the past two years, with the medal being the Falcon. I believe the ribbon has been different each year. In my view, if they want to do some kind of virtual C2C, that's fine, but don't have it be the exact same thing that you've had to actually earn by completing two races on both coasts. Someone commented that giving this out diminishes the Kessel Run medal they earned last year, and I disagree with that. I know I earned mine. The fact that they're only making people complete one timed race now doesn't change the fact that I earned mine.

    As far as virtual runs, I've done quite a few of them, and I completely understand what they're for. I know some people do look down on them. I'm not one of them. They provide a motivation that some people find helpful. And I've done virtual runs that do have a "challenge" aspect - sign up for 3 5K virtual runs and get a "completer" medal as a bonus. Because of personal circumstances, I have quite a number of virtual runs that I haven't been able to do yet. The medals are still in their shipping devices, and they won't come out until after I've actually done the necessary miles.


    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I will never understand why people feel the need to be nasty to others. Its disgusting.
    Oh, those of us who walk not run the road races get flack for that as well. We're not "real" racers. It's still the same distance, and I still have to finish in the allotted time. I've seen people on the course who can race-walk faster than I could possibly run. There were some comments in a running article where some people wondered why someone would enter a race when they had no chance of winning. Yeah, these aren't those kinds of races, and most of us aren't those kinds of racers. I actually don't call myself a runner because I don't run. I call myself a racer because I do race.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    "I've seen your daily routine. You are NOT busy."

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Someone posited the theory that Disney had already made the Kessel Run Challenge medals and this is their way of getting rid of the inventory. I could actually see that as a possibility. I don't know what the lead time is that they need to get the medals made, so if they had to commit to ordering the Kessel Run Challenge medals by a particular date to have them available in case they were needed, and that date was before the time they actually decided not to hold the Disneyland Star Wars race, then yeah, they'd have all these medals lying around.

    I was amused that some people were now taking it to mean that they could do the virtual Star Wars half marathon and have that qualify for a Coast-to-Coast with any other WDW race. Some people want Disney to do a virtual Tink race so that they can pair that with Princess and earn a pink C2C.

    From the picture they posted, the medal looks the same as the Kessel Run Challenge for the past two years, with the medal being the Falcon. I believe the ribbon has been different each year. In my view, if they want to do some kind of virtual C2C, that's fine, but don't have it be the exact same thing that you've had to actually earn by completing two races on both coasts. Someone commented that giving this out diminishes the Kessel Run medal they earned last year, and I disagree with that. I know I earned mine. The fact that they're only making people complete one timed race now doesn't change the fact that I earned mine.

    Oh, those of us who walk not run the road races get flack for that as well. We're not "real" racers. It's still the same distance, and I still have to finish in the allotted time. I've seen people on the course who can race-walk faster than I could possibly run. There were some comments in a running article where some people wondered why someone would enter a race when they had no chance of winning. Yeah, these aren't those kinds of races, and most of us aren't those kinds of racers. I actually don't call myself a runner because I don't run. I call myself a racer because I do race.
    Ah ok that could be a reason as well there if they had those medals already made to go. I do wonder how many have now decided to sign up for Dark Side because of it.

    I hope people won't assume it means they get a C2C too from this. That would be a bit much to expect at this point. I am actually surprised we didn't see them do a Tink version too but then it is sold out for Princess and Dark Side hasn't sold anything out but the 10k. Yet will we see a virtual version for each pop up to replace the DL ones for now? Or is it just to push the Dark Side to sell more? Time will tell I guess there

    Now IF they did a virtual C2C how would they do that? Would they want times/places give with proof or just keep it like the virtual ones now and just hope the person is going to?

    I signed my son up last year for one virtual race and we had to give proof on the finishing time. Which I have no problem with doing it. Once it was done the medal and shirt were mailed to him. We have done the Disney virtual ones with my daughter since they started. So earns her's over time. I will sign her up again for the one this year and if my one son wants it too he can as well. I would think some would be happy to have the option on this given though. For many I can imagine it is a push to help in training in races they have coming up. Those that don't get it well that is fine as well but no reason to ever put others down that do them.

    I know some have said they have heard runners complain about them walking during the races. I admit I didn't have that happen during the ones I did. I never did a half though. I was going to even try that as I knew I wouldn't be able to finish it. I had time I walked past many runners during a few races and was a bit surprised I was able to do so being I was walking. I never saw them run past either. Yet I agree these are not the kind of races one enters to try "win". I walk the pace I should and get there in the time given. I've enjoyed chatting with others around me as well waiting to go or as we walk past each other. I had a couple of ladies one time trying to get me to run with them even after they had walked some but it was not going to happen. I couldn't do it at that point. They were not rude about it at all or anything. It was more of trying to encourage and I knew that. I always have tried to stay to the sides unless getting around others then back to the side. Which again when it comes to those putting down us walkers during the races it comes off bad on them. Why discourage someone from being physically active out there? Not a thing states all have to be runners either. I like how you have decided to just call yourself a racer. I know I have wondered what I should refer to myself during such conversations because I am not a runner and end up with some that I have to explain I walk but just being a racer is simple enough. Plus it is what you are in.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •