Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Festival of Holidays food

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Festival of Holidays food

Had a chance to try a number of items today, all of them good. My favorites were a tie between the short rib and the beef tamale. The pretzel was pretty good too, and the mustard was excellent. The polenta cake and crab salad was pretty tasty, though a bit rich.

Things I tried in prior weeks - pork belly adobo was amazing. Chicken sausage with red beans and rice was really good. Chana masala and braised lamb cheeks were also excellent dishes. The only problem was the "garlic naan" that came with the chana masala as it was neither garlic nor very good naan.

My favorite sweet item is the molasses gingerbread man. I really like gingerbread cookies, but I had no idea that added molasses to them could make them even better. I might have to buy a few to save for later.

I had the chocolate and candy cane pot de creme. Pretty simple but was tasty. The husband had the horchata fudge and really liked it.

Things I still want to try: salmon, and the turkey slider. I think there are one or two things at Paradise Garden Grill I want to try too, if I get the chance.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2. # ADS

I agree about the tamale being the best savory dish! I love the kick it has! The short ribs were amazing as well, and the portion size was really decent. The pretzel was so much better than the standard park pretzel and the mustard was a perfect balance.

However, our favorite item so far is the sweet potato pie! The pie isnt too sweet and I loved the pecan and whipped topping. I also have to mention the Fever Tree Ginger Beer is perfect too. We also tried the mimosa flight which was tasty but overpriced for what you get.

So many great options and the AP Tasting Pass For $45 is worth it if youre getting the more expensive items.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by indiejones33 View Post
    The pretzel was so much better than the standard park pretzel and the mustard was a perfect balance.
    The park pretzels are good, but nothing beats a German pretzel. And whole-grain mustard is severely underrated.

I also have to mention the Fever Tree Ginger Beer is perfect too. We also tried the mimosa flight which was tasty but overpriced for what you get.
    Fever Tree and Bundaberg are some of my favorites for ginger beer. I want to try the mimosa flight but yes, it seems kind of expensive.

So many great options and the AP Tasting Pass For $45 is worth it if youre getting the more expensive items.
    We bought one this time around and are almost done using it. We have to decide if we might need to buy another one.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

I really liked the ham and turkey sliders. And the beef rib. The cheesy potatoes were good too. The egg nog macaron was great. And Heiress liked the Gingerbreadman cookie. And not to be missed, loved by several MPers was the Hot Buttered Rum. Better than we tasted anywhere else in the park. It was a repeat item.

Next trip, we are going to finish up touring the festival. I want to try the fried turkey. And I want another Hot Buttered Rum!

Planning 3 trips at once...

The turkey slider was really good. I got it again a few days later and while tasty, the person preparing it put too much gravy on so it was a soggy mess.
    Last Sunday I got the turkey slider and the eggnog macaron (double yum). Then I got the cheesy scalloped potatos and the roasted brussel sprouts with goat cheese and cranberries and bacon. The potatos were good but no different than we make at home. The brussel sprouts were so good. I loved the whole combination, something in there was mildly spicy, the bacon perhaps. The only complaint was they didn't trim them very well so the tougher bottoms and lower leaves were still on them.
    Wednesday, I started with the ruben smashed potatoes. First they are not smashed potatoes, they are tater tots that were overcooked and the entire dish was quite dry, not enough sauce, I only ate about half, also the pastrami was meh at best. This was the day the turkey slider was soggy. It still tasted good but I couldn't pick it up to eat it as it just kept falling apart, ate it with a fork. Got a second Macaron, yum. I ended up grabbing another helping of the cheesy potatos because I was still hungry and the ruben ones were so disappointing.

I was only able to grab the eggnog macaron but it was super yummy! The line for some other things I wanted to try were to long to deal with the one day so skipped on some other stuff. Need to wait to go back until after New Years but will be making sure to hit the ones I didn't and the foods I want before its gone. Didn't get a chance to get over there Friday since we stayed in Disneyland the whole time.

I have made gingerbread men with molasses before but its been a very long time and they are super yummy that way too. We grabbed one from the Golden Horseshoe Friday and he was delicious.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I bought two lanyards off the bat because I knew I would be coming several times. I really liked the Hot Fried Turkey (and its quite hot) though it could have used more pickles and a slight bit of sauce for the white bread. I have also had the following
    Queso Fundido - serviceable but not amazing
    Beef Short Rib - great though I think some pieces are better than others
    Mac and cheese - just OK
    Reuben Potato Smash - it was quite different but did not get a lot of corned beef OR Russian dressing flavor. The fried potato balls were good but thats the predominant flavor.
    Brussels Sprouts and Cheesy Potatoes - quite good. The portion was a good size and creamy but still great texture with the potatoes.
    Chana Masala was excellent - as well as the Lamb Cheeks. I agree on the Naan. You could just throw it away.
    Turkey Slider - I liked it but I also got one heavily gravied last Thursday. What a mess and I was trying to get a spot for WoC.
    Beef Brisket - this one was just OK. The carrots were not cooked as much and very sweet. The CM told me to pick that over Sausage and Red Beans- but I should have trusted my gut instinct.

I'm glad there are some added choices I have not tried yet and will be headed back 1st week of January (im blocked until then).

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    And not to be missed, loved by several MPers was the Hot Buttered Rum. Better than we tasted anywhere else in the park. It was a repeat item.
    I keep thinking I need to try that.

Oh, the husband had the spiced bourbon, which I tried and really liked. I need to get one for myself.

LOVED the turkey slider and the cheesy potatoes. The Hot fried turkey was indeed HOT... the better offering there was the spicy peanut brittle! SO yummy!! Really enjoyed the Porkbelly and also the lamb cheeks. My eggnog Macaron was to die for, but I would have given anything for some milk to cut the sweetness of that icing in the middle. Husband raved over the blood orange mimosa. He got the whole flight, but that one knocked his socks off. Could definitely have tried a few more options but for the crowds. Hard to eat some of that stuff "on the move" and tables were extremely limited.

Faith Trust and Pixie Dust!
    Disneyland '85, '90, '00 and DLR '05, '10, '13, '14 and 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker44 View Post
    The Hot fried turkey was indeed HOT...
    I like spicy food, but this one was too hot for me. It tasted like they slathered on some hot buffalo wing sauce - tasty, but really burning hot!!!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I loved all the food served there. It's either I love food too much, I have low expectations, or the food was really just great! But my fave was the tamale

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyloves View Post
    I loved all the food served there. It's either I love food too much, I have low expectations, or the food was really just great! But my fave was the tamale
    And the Food and Wine Festival at DCA starts this Friday, so there's going to be plenty more good food to try!

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    And the Food and Wine Festival at DCA starts this Friday, so there's going to be plenty more good food to try!
    Hmm you would think more would have been on the blog for it but haven't seen anything for here. Just kept seeing WDW's ones. I knew it was coming up soon too and last I checked no info on the food yet so thanks for the reminder on the start date. Will have to go look again at things.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"