Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: John Lasseter Takes Leave of Absence From Disney/Pixar, Apologizes for Unwanted Hugs

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

John Lasseter Takes Leave of Absence From Disney/Pixar, Apologizes for Unwanted Hugs

Variety just posted this article. Everyone in the comments is focusing on the "hugs" aspect but there have apparently been other rumors.

I have to say, I'm stunned.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Having read more in depth about the allegations, the thing that jumps out at me is the pitiful nature of his "apology." If this is true, it went waaaay beyond "unwanted hugs." It's terrible that anyone has to work in places where you have to take defensive postures when sitting next to the boss at meetings, have to turn your face away when greeting him to avoid unwanted kisses, etc.

Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

I was camped out in the hub Tuesday night waiting for (canceled) fireworks as the story was unfolding. I was surprised by how many people we're commenting amongst themselves that they don't believe it or willing to excuse it as "just hugs." No one should be forced to hug their coworkers, much less their boss. (This was before the rest of it was revealed, he's just as lecherous as the non-Disney affiliated offenders.)

And, that initial statement about "missteps" was total crap. He was sexually inappropriate and used his position to force himself on subordinates, who he targeted because they were female. "Missteps" is screwed up a budget, picking a Thanksgiving release date for a Dia de Los Muertos movie or passing on a project that ends up successful elsewhere. It's not a blanket that covers groping your employees. I think he won't be back in six months, if they wait that long to send him packing.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I was camped out in the hub Tuesday night waiting for (canceled) fireworks as the story was unfolding. I was surprised by how many people we're commenting amongst themselves that they don't believe it or willing to excuse it as "just hugs."
    That's pretty much the general reaction that women have gotten in all of these recent cases, either that they weren't believed, or "it wasn't that bad". What has infuriated me are the people in many of these cases who have effectively blamed the women, saying they should have just walked away, and if they gave in to any of the pressure for sexual favors, it was just because they wanted to be famous. So yes, the women are supposed to simply walk away from their chosen careers, careers they've worked hard to build, because someone is forcing unwanted sexual advances on them, and if they don't walk away, it's their own fault.

I've found the "just hugs" argument interesting too, with people commenting that they like hugs. Yeah, hugs are fine from people you know and like. They're different if it's from a stranger and even much more different in the work place.

There are also certain people who have a positive reputation overall in society, so it's hard to believe that they might do something like that. It's like telling your parents that a favored uncle has been doing bad things to you.

One common sentiment throughout the last few weeks (and really it's been building for years) is that women should just internalize harassment and assault to avoid making other people uncomfortable. Screw that. That's exactly what the creeps are counting on. If hearing about inappropriate sexual behavior makes you uncomfortable, start pressuring the people doing it to stop. Not the victims to keep it to themselves.

Deadline has a story out today detailing more Lasseter indiscretions and saying Disney knew. Maybe they don't want to tack their story onto NBC's today, but I can't imagine he'll be with Pixar much longer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...disney-1105297

"If John goes back, it will kill women in animation," says a former Pixar insider. "The message will be so clear: Shut up and take it."

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    And they've made it official - Lasseter isn't coming back. Pretty much textbook handling - release the info late on a Friday, get the information out before Incredibles 2 comes out next weekend and before the splashy debut of Pixar Pier in 2 weeks, he'll remain a "consultant" and then he'll be gone, presumably after getting a nice pay-out. Make as little noise as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    And they've made it official - Lasseter isn't coming back. Pretty much textbook handling - release the info late on a Friday, get the information out before Incredibles 2 comes out next weekend and before the splashy debut of Pixar Pier in 2 weeks, he'll remain a "consultant" and then he'll be gone, presumably after getting a nice pay-out. Make as little noise as possible.
    A very impressive resume. He has created some "incredible" things in his career. A true leader. Genius it seems.
    It is too bad that it has taken this long with so many people being hurt for people to understand that this is not acceptable. That power over employees does not mean it is ok to abuse employees. In any way.
    I hope anybody who has experienced this kind of abuse will speak out. Sick, powerful people are finally being held accountable. I wonder if it is only the tip of the iceberg?

I can't help but think that they're giving him until the end of the year in case this whole pesky "#metoo" thing blows over and he can slip back in.

Someone who used to work at Disney sent a bunch or letters to the editor of several Nor Cal papers attempting to shame them for reprinting negative articles about him. All I could think was, "Oh, so you were in meetings when he put his hands on women's thighs." They are probably a former employee for good reason too.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I can't help but think that they're giving him until the end of the year in case this whole pesky "#metoo" thing blows over and he can slip back in.
    Nope, not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Nope, not happening.
    I am inclined to agree. I'm pretty sure the "taking 6 months off" at the beginning of the scandal was the let's see if #metoo blows over move. It didn't and as they approached the end of that window they had to either 1) let him back into the fold; 2) officially continue his sabbatical; or 3) announce his resignation/retirement.

Yeah as really end of year. As that is bittersweet. Bet people wished he left right away. If it were me, as I would be fired and told to pack up and never come back. He is in a sense getting a free pass.

April Showers and Easter 2024!

My bet is - there were massive contract issues. Disney needed to buy time to figure out their options and then negotiate.

Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't

High School here she comes!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Kudos to Variety for not regurgitating the "unwanted hugs" company line.

OT to this thread, but I'm rooting for Comcast in the Fox bidding war.