Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pixar Pier to Bring New Incredicoaster and More to Disney California Adventure Park

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Initially the California theme was more aesthetic and a little forced in my opinion. Then when bvs and Carsland hit they tried to define eras of California (and adjacent) in decades. It was subtle and not such a charicature. I thought it worked. I guess management t feels they still don't get enough people in the door unless everything g is tied to characters from their last IP. Ironic that the park started without any Mickey, and now we're filling every nook and cranny with a character tie in. It truly will be "Disney's Acquired IP" park.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Agree. Its going to have to drop the California and just become Disney Adventure at this rate or Marvar (or Pixel?) Adventure. LOL Its kind of sad to see this happen too.
    They can call it California Refurbished Adventure Place. Not that I'm disillusioned or anything.

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't see how these changes will make it any less "Californian." While the 2.0 version was much better than the 1.0 it still never evoked a California feel to me. I think (am hopeful) the more modern mid-century style, particularly on the Incredicoaster, might finally do that. Sure its mostly cosmetic that's a lot of what Disney is about. Also some of the original rides like the Golden Zephyr and Goofy's Whiplash need to go and I feel that these changes will set the area up better to make those changes in the future.

As far as Hollywood Land and A Bug's Land Vs Marvel Land. I'm sorry but I think Hollywood Land is terrible in concept and execution. Besides Buena Vista Street does a much better job of evoking old LA and now that we have it there's really no need for a faux movie backlot trying to look like Hollywood Blvd, and failing. And Bug's Life was set in Texas so I don't know how that reinforces the California theme? The backstory(s) of the future Marvel Land can easily be set in California and hopefully that's what they have in mind.

Nope. I am holding out hope that Tower is the gateway to a new Marvel Land. We love Bugsland. Also with the shelving of the eastern gateway project, that takes the rumor of a coaster being added to the current bus dropoff area.

Just curious but where was it ever stated that A Bug's Life was in Texas? I didn't think there was ever a general location given for it and never really thought about it. Yet when it comes down to it the Pixar studios are in California so there is that. As well as bugs are all over the place so it could be any place at all, including California.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

There's a thought I had the other day about the re-theming of Screamin'. I think it's going to inadvertently turn some people away, even if for the most part, it's the same attraction. It's probably the most thrill-ride attraction at the resort. I certainly consider it more intense than any of the other coasters on property. For those who enjoy the more thrill aspect of Disneyland, this is a ride they could enjoy while perhaps begrudgingly agreeing to go on the tamer rides. But, I think having it themed to The Incredibles will tame it down to some degree. Thrill seekers may not be as interested in riding/trying a coaster themed after a cartoon (at least that's how they might see it).

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Nope. I am holding out hope that Tower is the gateway to a new Marvel Land. We love Bugsland. Also with the shelving of the eastern gateway project, that takes the rumor of a coaster being added to the current bus dropoff area.
    It's pretty unlikely that 'A Bug's Land' is going to survive. Sorry for your loss but I think your family will enjoy Pixar Pier and hopefully other elements of the land can be moved. I'd love to see the giant clover in Paradise Park. The proposed 'Inside Out' spinner ride should give you clue to what's up. They stated it will be installed a little later and it is basically Flik's Flyers relocated to Pixar Pier and re-skinned. Plus there's going to be other 'Bugs' related items added to Pixar Pier. They wouldn't do that if they intended to keep Bugs Land around. Also I see the demise of the Eastern Gateway Project as a greater incentive to get rid of Bug Land because they will have to now locate that coaster behind Mission Breakout. From a traffic flow point of view it seems like a no brainier. With tons of people using Bugs Land as a bypass to get to Marvel Land it will ruin the atmosphere and create a bottleneck. Now that the Eastern Gateway Project is nixed I wouldn't mind if they split the area up with the Marvel Land taking over A Bug Land and the bulk of the Hollywood Land and resurrecting the old idea of creating a 'Monstropolis' in the backlot area.
    Last edited by Darby Spree; 11-09-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Just curious but where was it ever stated that A Bug's Life was in Texas? I didn't think there was ever a general location given for it and never really thought about it. Yet when it comes down to it the Pixar studios are in California so there is that. As well as bugs are all over the place so it could be any place at all, including California.
    You're right. I don't think it explicitly says where it's at. Maybe I read one the creators say he had Texas in mind? But now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense. I'll admit that A Bug's Life was not my favorite franchise so I could be, and probably am, wrong about that. But I still don't find the land to particularly "California" and I think it is there only because it kind of fit with theme of the original 'Bountiful Valley' area it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    There's a thought I had the other day about the re-theming of Screamin'. I think it's going to inadvertently turn some people away, even if for the most part, it's the same attraction. It's probably the most thrill-ride attraction at the resort. I certainly consider it more intense than any of the other coasters on property. For those who enjoy the more thrill aspect of Disneyland, this is a ride they could enjoy while perhaps begrudgingly agreeing to go on the tamer rides. But, I think having it themed to The Incredibles will tame it down to some degree. Thrill seekers may not be as interested in riding/trying a coaster themed after a cartoon (at least that's how they might see it).
    I fall into this category. I LOVE California Screamin! Right from the first time I rode it, I was in love! The music is just the best and I love the anticipation with NPH "Sit back, hold on and SCREAM like you mean it!!". And of all the movies in the Pixar fold, The Incredibles is hands down my least favourite... in fact I quite dislike it. While the re-theme won't STOP me from riding it, it will certainly impact my enjoyment of it. Even Wall-E would be a better "theme" from my point of view. I feel very similarly about the transofrmation of Tower of Terror. I've seen GOTG 1 & 2 ... and meh I don't see what all the hype is about. Will I ride Mission Breakout in a few weeks? Probably. I reserve my final judgement til then, but considering how much I LOVED Tower of Terror, it will be hard to adjust.

I know, I know... I come across as some old curmudgeon who doesn't want things changed. And in a way, maybe I am... because to me, Paradise Pier has always WORKED. It always felt fun and fresh, and it always felt very Californian (though I too miss the Beach Boys music). I understand why Disney is doing this, but it feels SO unnecessary!
    Faith Trust and Pixie Dust!
    Disneyland '85, '90, '00 and DLR '05, '10, '13, '14 and 2017

While they are at it here are a few more things they can rethink.

Add Fastpass to all rides. The ones that have lines like Pirates and Peter Pan.
    Bugs Land. Most boring rides ever. Get rid of it.
    Backlot where the Monsters ride is. Underutilized, needs more attractions.
    Starcade. Put the games back in.
    Penny Arcade. Put the games back in.
    Carousel of Progress/America Sings building. Make it a theater and book live performances.
    People Mover. Bring it back.
    Old Motor Boat area. Put something there. Don't know what but underutilized. Maybe a kiddie version of Splash Mountain.
    Country Bear Jamboree. Bring it back.
    Add more restaurants to California Adventure that have reservations.
    Pizza Space Port. eh, never eaten there but it is too far out of the way, maybe do something else.
    Monorail. Stop at California Adventure. Make all tickets park hoppers and that is that.
    Get rid of the turnstiles for both parks. Put them at either end of the ticket booths (push them back) and let guests go to both parks without having to stand in line again.
    Expand Downtown Disney all the way to the parking garage and eliminate that awful parking for Downtown Disney. Worst parking lot in the world next to most shopping malls at Christmas shopping season.
    Put the trams from the parking garage on a track to make them more efficient. The current plan is painful, especially at park closing and after the later shows like the fireworks. Not enough capacity.
    Replace the busses from the remote lots with a better transportation model that goes over or under the city streets. The lines for those are worse than that of the tram in the evening.

Overall things are better today than what they were in the 70's, 80's etc. when Space Mountain had a 3 hour line most of the time and you spent your entire hot summer day standing in lines in the hot sun, eating lunch in the hot sun, not being able to find a place to sit to even eat lunch and just overall crowded conditions. And at park closing the trams were a free-for-all fight to get on. God I miss those days.

Seems like Binki you know what you are talking about. Maybe you should run Disney ever think about that? You think like a fan!

April Showers and Easter 2024!

Some things I can agree with on Binki but others I can't. Fp doesn't need to be on everything or even those 2 rides. They did it once on Pirates and look how that turned out before? Those were some of the worse times ever to try to get on that ride. After it was gone I was able to without issues and still can find a time I don't have to wait long even on a busy day. Peter Pan with that, can you imagine the standby length then? As well as where does the line go? Even Toy Story now gets to a wait time that it used to not get to because of FP. Bug's Land might not be for you or some others it serves a purpose for many with little ones. I know my kids are older it did offer them some more rides in that park when they weren't ready for others. I will say this, I don't like kids like Screamin or Sky School, or Guardians but I wouldn't say to remove them because they are enjoyed by others. Same with food places too. The only problem I would see with doing away with turnstyles for each park is then it makes it one big giant park if you can just go in either one without doing that. I do wonder how many people by 1 park only tickets or multi ones that don't have park hopping compared to those that do park hop? That would be interesting to know because I know many of us have always wished there was a monorail stop in DCA. Which they could even stick the stop back in Monster's Inc. Its obviously to late but I actually think if Disney was smarter they would have take the Paradise Pier Hotel and redone it in a Star Wars theme with putting the whole Star Wars land next to it with a special entrance for it off the hotel. Then a special themed up bridge to get to it from DCA that blocks out the outside world. It would have been a better way to try to take the crowd load off of DL by doing it too. The theming of the pier area to Pixar and adding Marvel is not going to do that IMO. Plus the walkways in DCA can handle more people in most places than DL can.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Just some thoughts. As far as Bugsland if I compare it to Fantasyland I would say bugs land needs improvement on space utilization and ride quality. I think the 2 cater to the same audience.

Overall I could never spend an entire day at California Adventure . There just isn't enough to keep me interested. Space utilization may be the biggest things there.

As far as me running Disneyland , I don't think they would give me enough budget for it.

Lived here since 64 and have been enough times to know it is better today but improvement is always available.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binki View Post
    Pizza Space Port. eh, never eaten there but it is too far out of the way, maybe do something else.
    You've never eaten there but still feel adequate in giving an opinion about it. Interesting.

By the way, Pizza Port is just to the left of the entrance area to Space Mountain, so by your logic, since it's "too far out of the way", then Space Mountain should be done away with as well.

Personally, I don't want someone running Disneyland who is just a fan and who just wants to have things in the parks that they're interested in.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

You've never eaten there but still feel adequate in giving an opinion about it. Interesting.

By the way, Pizza Port is just to the left of the entrance area to Space Mountain, so by your logic, since it's "too far out of the way", then Space Mountain should be done away with as well.

Personally, I don't want someone running Disneyland who is just a fan and who just wants to have things in the parks that they're interested in.
    Agree. It would get pretty boring if we all had the same tastes or did things the same way in the parks or in life. Its nice that we have so many options for food and price ranges on it as well. The mix of ride options...well you can't beat Disney on the amount of options given there for a family either. There is always something for everyone. You can't find that in most other places. I just know that the things I don't care for in the parks don't bother me that they are there. They are options others like and enjoy. Just like some of what I may really like there, may not be a favorite of someone else.

Thank you.

I would hardly call myself a fan. I have fond memories from my childhood but today I am an AP for family. I can take it or leave it but since I have to go I make observations. That is my profession, to make observations and suggest improvements on operations. So what I see is what I suggest. No emotion in it at all other than a passion to make things better. That is what I do. I just see underutilization and look for a way to improve it. Maybe the storefront at Pizza Port needs to come out more to make it more visible. I will look the next time I go. I just see empty tables or people just waiting for friends in the seating area. The entrance isn't obvious to me, the sign is too high up to notice next to Space Mountain that has a lower sign and a traffic pattern that leads away from the entrance to the restaurant. I would never know there is a food place there other than I read an article about it and took a look around the last few times I went.

Same things with Bugsland. It just doesn't stand out like Fantasyland does and to me that is the same audience. It doesn't have to be the same but the formula that works is at Fantasyland, not Bugsland. Don't believe me, look at the crowds. Where are they? Look at how the rides are framed and organized. It is the same thing mostly on both sides but something is missing in Bugsland. Look at both the next time you go and see what it is. I know what it is. Other than a ride here or there that needs improvement it is really the layout and ambiance.

I should be there Sunday, I will pay attention to those 2 spots and confirm what I suspect.

No offense intended, just trying to make it better than it already is.

From what I have seen it always depends on crowd levels for everything just like any other spots in the parks do. I have seen Pizza Port packed with a line out the door many times. I find it pretty clear where it is and how to get in it as well. Considering the location is before one would even go towards Space Mtn (which is probably more confusing for some to get to with it so far back) its not that hard to miss but that is just how I see it. As for Bug's Land its pretty packed every time we walk through it. I make a point of doing so when its hot out to walk under the water to cool off. With the logic you have for these 2 things then what is the point of Little Mermaid, Mater's and Luigi's when they seem to have that same sort of up and down in foot traffic.

Did you ever think that if people are waiting at tables for someone its because the other person is inside buying food and they went out to find a place to sit? I actually think that place has a lot more seating with as much as it has inside and out front and by the Space ramp. So I do notice more want to sit in the front or inside but that back area has been pretty packed up many times.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I would never know there is a food place there other than I read an article about it and took a look around the last few times I went.
    Lots of people seem to have no problem knowing there's a restaurant there. I've been there where you have to look around a bit for an empty table because it's so crowded. But, hey, you keep on making your "observations" and suggesting improvements about places you know nothing about.

Blog Entries
    While they are at it here are a few more things they can rethink.

Add Fastpass to all rides. The ones that have lines like Pirates and Peter Pan.
    This would not be feasible. The stand by time for Pirates would grow. Peter Pan has too low of a ride capacity to handle FP.
    Bugs Land. Most boring rides ever. Get rid of it.
    For you, maybe. But the land is always quite busy. It is a great area for kids. And even we adults like to hit it once a year or so!!
    Backlot where the Monsters ride is. Underutilized, needs more attractions.
    The area is too small to add more attractions, however, it is great for more food trucks and meet and greets.

Carousel of Progress/America Sings building. Make it a theater and book live performances.
    Really? It does very well as the meet and greet area.
    People Mover. Bring it back.
    Not going to happen. After they made it Rocket Rods, too much of the area was removed.
    Old Motor Boat area. Put something there. Don't know what but underutilized. Maybe a kiddie version of Splash Mountain.
    So, basically you don't like any quiet areas?
    Country Bear Jamboree. Bring it back.
    Where?
    Add more restaurants to California Adventure that have reservations.
    There are 3 in DCA same as in Disneyland. How many times have you booked into Wine Country? Or Carthay? Or Ariels?
    Really? It is right beside Space Mountain. We go there all the time. My issue is how crowded it gets.
    Monorail. Stop at California Adventure. Make all tickets park hoppers and that is that.
    Not a bad idea, but the space it would take up to add a stop would take out a ride.
    Get rid of the turnstiles for both parks. Put them at either end of the ticket booths (push them back) and let guests go to both parks without having to stand in line again.
    A LOT of people buy 1 park tickets because they are cheaper. Basically, raise prices?
    Expand Downtown Disney all the way to the parking garage and eliminate that awful parking for Downtown Disney. Worst parking lot in the world next to most shopping malls at Christmas shopping season.
    Since they are adding a second parking garage and a hotel in that area, it won't be happening.
    Put the trams from the parking garage on a track to make them more efficient. The current plan is painful, especially at park closing and after the later shows like the fireworks. Not enough capacity.
    I don't think a track will help. I see issues where a ride vehicle breaks down and since it is on track, it stops all movement.
    Replace the busses from the remote lots with a better transportation model that goes over or under the city streets. The lines for those are worse than that of the tram in the evening.
    How will that fix the lines?

Overall things are better today than what they were in the 70's, 80's etc. when Space Mountain had a 3 hour line most of the time and you spent your entire hot summer day standing in lines in the hot sun, eating lunch in the hot sun, not being able to find a place to sit to even eat lunch and just overall crowded conditions. And at park closing the trams were a free-for-all fight to get on. God I miss those days.
    I've visited Disneyland at least 2x a year since the mid 70s (now days, it is closer to monthly.) I remember excessive waits for Space Mountain the first year it opened, but the waits after than were not that bad. They did become worse after FP. You complain about how there was no where to sit, yet you propose to remove the quiet sitting areas like the old Motor Boat cruise and the area around Monsters.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries

Thank you. If this was the case, I'd vote to move Star Tours, Indy and a few of those, and let's put more live entertainment.

To me, the positive part of Disneyland is that I can come with a wide variety of people, and we can all find things to do that we enjoy. I don't think a lot of people would like it if I opted to tear out the rides I don't like/cant ride, and just put in what I like.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Disney Animation Fan

In today's update, it says that the California Screamin' loop has been removed during the transformation process to the Incredicoaster. Has there been word on if there will be a loop in the Incredicoaster? I generally hate going upside down on rides. California Screamin' was the most tolerable loop I've been on, so I'm okay either way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    In today's update, it says that the California Screamin' loop has been removed during the transformation process to the Incredicoaster. Has there been word on if there will be a loop in the Incredicoaster? I generally hate going upside down on rides. California Screamin' was the most tolerable loop I've been on, so I'm okay either way, though.
    The loop has been present in the concept art and models, but I haven't seen it specifically confirmed anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    I am wondering if they took out the loop track to redress the loop background. But it will be interesting to see what the final ride will be.
    Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

I think it has currently been physically removed from the ride, and I was assuming it was to work on that section of the track elsewhere. I suppose they could theoretically redo the ride so that the loop was permanently removed, but I interpreted that photo and comment as simply a snapshot of the current state of the ride. Just like the gondolas will have to be restored to Mickey's Fun wheel in order to carry guests - but have currently been removed so they can be repainted.