Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DLR Announces Construction of New Hotel & Parking Structure, Eastern Gateway shelved

I read a quote from the Harbor Business Association and they like the idea. I think Disney is sticking it to them. Once the west side is built up they don't need the east entrance any more. I can see the Harbor entrance closed and them shut out. JMO

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by binki View Post
    I read a quote from the Harbor Business Association and they like the idea. I think Disney is sticking it to them. Once the west side is built up they don't need the east entrance any more. I can see the Harbor entrance closed and them shut out. JMO
    Do that and punish the guests that pick to stay there because they can't afford the Disney hotels. IF Disney did that it would be a childish move IMO. I don't think what they are doing is sticking it to anyone by canceling that one structure and bridge and moving it next to M&F area. Honestly it should have gone there to begin with. The space was there for it so why not. Plus they were going to need the extra parking for those wanting to go to just DTD with the current parking removed for the hotel. As well as that other structure would have been a bit of a pain for many guests with a super long walk back to the structure or hotel...especially if they were parked furthest or for guests and how they would have to get back to a hotel.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would doubt that Disney would make guests from the Marriott, Hyatt, Shereton, etc walk all the way down Katella then all the way up Disneyland Drive to get into the park. Those are some pretty expensive places to stay and would be a concern for those major partners.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

It isn't about the guests but the city and businesses that oppose the expansion east. It is small thinking on their part. Disney needs the parking and putting it on the west side deprives everyone east of Harbor those people. Eventually they will get the security and bridge east of Harbor but in the meantime I can see it being pushed as far east as possible or eliminated for security reasons. Just what I see from what has happened so far.

It isn't about the guests but the city and businesses that oppose the expansion east. It is small thinking on their part. Disney needs the parking and putting it on the west side deprives everyone east of Harbor those people. Eventually they will get the security and bridge east of Harbor but in the meantime I can see it being pushed as far east as possible or eliminated for security reasons. Just what I see from what has happened so far.
    Its as much about the guests as it is the city and businesses right there. The guests are the ones that fill those hotels up and stay there because they are able to have a quick walk over to the parks. In turn those guests are the ones spending their money in the parks. Cut those guests off from that access and it could hurt Disney...the city and businesses as well. Which yes, Disney doesn't care who it hurts in the end...and more so if it gave them a chance I am sure to buy up more land but IMO it starts to come off bully like with certain moves. Cutting off access that way would be one of them. It also doesn't cut those off but those getting dropped off. Where does that go then? There are many that do use that location (guests and CMs). So there is another factor as well in this picture not looked at with that. I doubt there is going to be space any place on the side with those parking structures for pick up and drop off. As well as the drop off for those coming from Toy Story lot or the hotels with shuttles/ART....there is no place for all this on that side of Disneyland at all. So unless they figure that out there is no way they will remove the Harbor side entrance.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

I'm not even focused on the ones right across the street - that would be immediately impacted by the original design of the gateway - but all those convention attendees south on harbor already walking 4 or 5 blocks just to get to the entrance.

Or just be resigned to the fact that Uber rides will increase...

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I am just making an observation. I think Disney will fund candidates for the city council that will be friendly to them and the problem will be gone but for now this looks like a big poke in the eye. They need and will get the parking wherever it is. They will push east side security as far back as possible. That is just the way I see it. The city and local businesses are short sited and the city is greedy. Disney has done for Anaheim what it couldn't do for itself under any circumstances.

I am just making an observation. I think Disney will fund candidates for the city council that will be friendly to them and the problem will be gone but for now this looks like a big poke in the eye. They need and will get the parking wherever it is. They will push east side security as far back as possible. That is just the way I see it. The city and local businesses are short sited and the city is greedy. Disney has done for Anaheim what it couldn't do for itself under any circumstances.
    Greedy actually fits well with Disney though too. Not saying Anaheim isn't as well but it honestly goes both ways. IMO having a company of any kind back candidates to get their way for things all the time is not always a good thing for the city it happens in. I wouldn't have an issue with Disney pushing security back some on that side BUT it can't move to much because of how the set up is for those getting off shuttles and Toy Story buses. Which its easy to set up some security check points in the Toy Story lot like they have in M&F but you can't do that with the ART shuttles and such. With how it backs up during holidays and all you have to have the space for those guests to wait. As it is now it can get backed up pretty far with those times so as I said that move is one that isn't going to be so easy if they wanted to push back more towards Harbor.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Once the west side is built up they don't need the east entrance any more. I can see the Harbor entrance closed and them shut out. JMO
    Nope, not happening.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

I think this is a better plan than before. It was never really clear how the cars would get from the freeway to the eastern parking structure. Without dedicated lanes (as they have for Disneyland Drive) I think it would have ended up a big traffic mess.

The only problem I see with placing everything on the west side is that there is going to a lot more people crowded into a relatively tight space. I don't know why Disneyland is keeping the trams? They should just replace the Monorail and tram with a People Mover system. There is also going to be a new hotel guest parking structure added on the Simba Parking behind the Paradise Pier Hotel. Originally that parking structure was planned for north of Disneyland Hotel. The renderings show the existing parking garage at Paradise Pier remaining but I wonder if they'll eventually remove it when they turn it into the Pixar Hotel?

The hotel location is better now because the space now allows it to be spread out rather than go up. That was probably one of the reasons they moved it. They did not want the hotel to be seen from inside the park nor have guests looking down on the un-magical backstage areas. As for the "contemporary" design. I know a lot of people were hoping for the typical Disney faux historical design but I'm not sure how well that would have fit with the Disneyland hotel. They haven't announced a name or theme (if any) yet but I would not be surprised if has a mid-century look and feel. The rooftop restaurant where guests will be able to watch the fireworks is going to be great.

The only problem is that all this still leaves the East Shuttle Area mess. Why can't they still relocate the shuttle bus area east of Harbor as originally planned, knock down the Carousel Inn, but instead of building a bridge over Harbor Blvd, create a level a pedestrian walkway, and move the eastern security gate into the existing shuttle area, closer to Harbor? That would provide room for DCA expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Darby Spree View Post
    The only problem is that all this still leaves the East Shuttle Area mess. Why can't they still relocate the shuttle bus area east of Harbor as originally planned, knock down the Carousel Inn, but instead of building a bridge over Harbor Blvd, create a level a pedestrian walkway, and move the eastern security gate into the existing shuttle area, closer to Harbor? That would provide room for DCA expansion.
    Which isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't end up like the other mess and cut off guests on Harbor. If there is a way to create it so those guests don't end up with an extra long walk to get on it or just still cross at the light with those guests meeting the shuttle/bus ones at the other side for security check it could work. It would give them the space to push security check to the area where the shuttle/bus drop off/pick up is now. As well as if they do it right could add more bag check spots and metal detectors to get the guess through quicker.

It also would help to make a bigger area for the guest drop off/pick up point too. Right now its so small and with things like Uber/Lfyt it has made it so much worse. No one is ever out there to make sure someone isn't parked for to long, doesn't leave their cars, pulls up enough to let others in and so on that its creates a traffic nightmare in the streets when its certain times of the day/night. So having more spaces for those to park for these situations would be a lot better as well.

Or better yet add another hotel where the East Shuttle Area is now and place the security gates under it ala DLP. That way they could bookend the Esplanade and visually block out Harbor Blvd whilst still allowing guest access to it. I think Disney proposed doing something like this in the 1980's

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Which isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't end up like the other mess and cut off guests on Harbor. If there is a way to create it so those guests don't end up with an extra long walk to get on it or just still cross at the light with those guests meeting the shuttle/bus ones at the other side for security check it could work. It would give them the space to push security check to the area where the shuttle/bus drop off/pick up is now. As well as if they do it right could add more bag check spots and metal detectors to get the guess through quicker.

It also would help to make a bigger area for the guest drop off/pick up point too. Right now its so small and with things like Uber/Lfyt it has made it so much worse. No one is ever out there to make sure someone isn't parked for to long, doesn't leave their cars, pulls up enough to let others in and so on that its creates a traffic nightmare in the streets when its certain times of the day/night. So having more spaces for those to park for these situations would be a lot better as well.
    You make some good points. I think the drop off probably needs to move too for the very reasons you give. It is a nightmare! I'm surprised nobody has been hurt already. It seems unsafe. There is more than enough room to install covered moving sidewalks like they have at Disneyland Paris. That would make the trek not so burdensome. And they could create a new pedestrian crossing directly across Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Darby Spree View Post
    You make some good points. I think the drop off probably needs to move too for the very reasons you give. It is a nightmare! I'm surprised nobody has been hurt already. It seems unsafe. There is more than enough room to install covered moving sidewalks like they have at Disneyland Paris. That would make the trek not so burdensome. And they could create a new pedestrian crossing directly across Harbor.
    I haven't seen it unsafe. We use since we have my husband drop us off and pick us up. It just ends up where no one wants to do what they should with situations (move up when a car moves or move closer to the one in front of them, not sit longer then 15 mins, etc). Its easy enough for the moving traffic on the street to keep going by it but it just creates a back up in the one lane that could be avoided most the time if people just followed rules and some common curiosity/sense, you know? I have seen way to many people sit in their cars for longer then they should have been there. I've seen a few leave their cars as well to go do whatever or find whoever. Its just a big cluster though that with the space given doesn't work anymore like I said with the extra options of getting picked up. Those are the ones I see sit there the longest too btw. Its either the parents of teens who aren't out there yet or the people that called for an Uber or Lyft that have those drivers waiting on them to get out. Taxis always are good about sticking to the spots they belong. Which IMO its also where those Uber/Lfyts should be parked as well since its similar in service. Which might help out a little if that was done. Yet it would also help if Disney had some extra security CMs out that way to watch over things and help move ones along that need it. I've sent emails to them about it a few times. Which the only issue I have ever seen go on that was a "omg wow" type thing was when some boyfriend and girlfriend were yelling loudly at each other with some very loudly said non kid friendly words and the jerk took off out of there fast once she got in the car. That wasn't to long ago we saw that happen. I do agree that there is the same for that kind of sidewalk over the street. If they found a way to just make a path on the side of it for Harbor hotel guests to use to get to the entrance of it on the side of it (maybe?) that it would make many happy with that. Hotels would still have easy access for their guests, those doing pick up/drop off less hassle, and covering it would really be a good thing as well to shade those using it. As well as if they just move the bag check to that space used now for the buses/shuttles they would have more room to add to get everyone in faster and that would make for happier guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    While I can see the city wanting more of those kinds, the sad fact is hotels are just not cheap no matter what. I have looked for us to just get away for a weekend in cities that don't have any big draw to them like theme parks or conventions and such and they are way over priced as well. But when it comes to Disney's area and if the city really would like it that way then the city needs to do their part of things and handle the homeless situation going on around there and a few other issues as well.
    It just seems to me that with Disney raising prices every year and trying to generate more revenue, a more affordable hotel would be something they would consider. Think of it this way, if Disneyland offered an All Stars type room for $150 - $190 a night with Disney touches and exclusive perks, wouldn't you pay that rather than paying $125 - $150 for, say the Tropicana across the street? I'm willing to bet if Disney DID offer something like this, they would be booked full up more often than not. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by shamoney View Post
    It just seems to me that with Disney raising prices every year and trying to generate more revenue, a more affordable hotel would be something they would consider. Think of it this way, if Disneyland offered an All Stars type room for $150 - $190 a night with Disney touches and exclusive perks, wouldn't you pay that rather than paying $125 - $150 for, say the Tropicana across the street? I'm willing to bet if Disney DID offer something like this, they would be booked full up more often than not. Just my thoughts.
    Sure people would want to. It used to be that the Paradise Pier was that low in price but things have changed. Disney doesn't seem to care to offer that kind of option here. They book up the ones they do have now and know they can charge what they do and people will pay it. So having a "cheaper" option makes no sense to them when they know they can charge more with what they do have and fill up rooms now, kwim? I'm with you that it would be nice if Disney would have that option again but with the opening of the new land and things to come there is just no way they will do it. I just see prices going up a lot more then they are now. That is not just the Disney hotels either but sadly the other options around the area as well. As it is the deals offered for their hotels at this point are few and not much to make it even worth it still. IF Disney was to ever lower prices or offer lower prices, it would be because they aren't booking things up or don't have the guests coming through those gates enough but the way it looks at this point, that is not going to happen anytime soon...if ever.

Blog Entries

There's a part of me that's excited for this new addition to the Disneyland Resort....we've stayed at all 3 Disney properties, and we love them. Our favorite is the traditional Disneyland Hotel. I'm sure we'll get around to staying at this new one as well.....but we'll see. Like others, we're concerned that Disney is going to price us to the point that perhaps we'll choose another vacation option.....although we've loved going to the Park over and above other vacation destinations. That's not to say we couldn't stay at an off-property hotel, which we've done before.....but it's got to the point where we're spoiled....we love staying at a Disney property, and it's been worth it to save up so we can do that. We'll see....

"Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching?"

The hotels would not make as much money, possibly forced to sell and be purchased by Disney to keep expanding.
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by wabby1 View Post
    There's a part of me that's excited for this new addition to the Disneyland Resort....we've stayed at all 3 Disney properties, and we love them. Our favorite is the traditional Disneyland Hotel. I'm sure we'll get around to staying at this new one as well.....but we'll see. Like others, we're concerned that Disney is going to price us to the point that perhaps we'll choose another vacation option.....although we've loved going to the Park over and above other vacation destinations. That's not to say we couldn't stay at an off-property hotel, which we've done before.....but it's got to the point where we're spoiled....we love staying at a Disney property, and it's been worth it to save up so we can do that. We'll see....
    Personally I stay in the off property hotels which allows me to make more visits with my budget.
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    The hotels would not make as much money, possibly forced to sell and be purchased by Disney to keep expanding.
    Which IMO would be wrong to do...as well as IF that was to ever happen they would be just as overpriced as the others are. Which then would leave not many options left for those that can't afford Disney hotels. Which is a sad thought...

Overall I like the idea. It gets rid of the need for the outlying lots for most days.

Kinda explains why they didn't make the new security point and tram drop off and pick up area permanent. I guess they will move the oversized parking to the Toy Story lot.

I was there Saturday and had lunch at ESPN Zone and looked around at what will be gone. What a mess it will be during construction.

Blog Entries
    I was there Saturday and had lunch at ESPN Zone and looked around at what will be gone. What a mess it will be during construction.
    That's a great point. How will guests from the Disneyland Hotel get to the Parks with the construction going on? Or DtD guests for that matter. I think they will probably demolish one building at a time but still accounting for safety distance this could be interesting. The monorail construction will cause a significant issue - essentially the bridge may be impacted. Maybe they will use trams to take guests from the hotel to the tram drop off. Or - more likely - ask folks to walk to the current tram zone at M&F. This is a couple of years away - but at some point Legoland will be the dead end for a while - and monorail station won't be open.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    That's a great point. How will guests from the Disneyland Hotel get to the Parks with the construction going on? Or DtD guests for that matter. I think they will probably demolish one building at a time but still accounting for safety distance this could be interesting. The monorail construction will cause a significant issue - essentially the bridge may be impacted. Maybe they will use trams to take guests from the hotel to the tram drop off. Or - more likely - ask folks to walk to the current tram zone at M&F. This is a couple of years away - but at some point Legoland will be the dead end for a while - and monorail station won't be open.

Looking at the picture again of the hotel and depending on how they decide to do things, I think hotel guests getting to the parks will not be an issue at all. There is space to walk down the middle there. At least for some time. They will block off the areas closest to the buildings coming down and it might make for a little bit of a smaller in and out for security check on either side. At some point the DTD security check will disappear altogether. Lost of down time for the monorail of course. They may have to start letting the other hotel guests go through the Grand again during this time if they have to block off the hotel guests from going through DTD to get to the parks. Yet the connector to the 2 buildings for the new hotel could be done towards the end maybe or first so its out of the way and leaves the area for guests to use more so then not...make sense? Time will tell how Disney does it though and handles it all with these guests. Hopefully they will put in some nicer looking security check points as well with these changes to come.