Thread: runDisney places Disneyland Resort events on hiatus starting in 2018

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

runDisney places Disneyland Resort events on hiatus starting in 2018

Just confirmed by runDisney:

In an announcement posted this afternoon on the runDisney blog, Disney confirms what MousePlanet reported Monday all race weekends at the Disneyland Resort are on hiatus beginning in 2018. The already-announced Star Wars The Light Side Half Marathon and the Tinker Bell Half Marathon have been cancelled, and no additional races will be scheduled. This decision also means a hiatus for the Coast-to-Coast and Kessel Run challenges. The runDisney announcement did not say how long the hiatus would last.

The Disneyland Resort responded to the announcement saying, "While construction for the next several years will impact our ability to deliver the runDisney experience our guests love, we are excited about our future as the Disneyland Resort continues one of its largest multi-year expansions, which includes a new 14-acre land -- Star Wars: Galaxys Edge. For fans who love to be part of runDisney events, we will continue to offer races at our other properties around the world in 2018.

As we reported, nearly 2,000 runners took advantage of an early-registration offer to sign up for the 2018 Star Wars race weekend, which was scheduled to take place January 1114, 2018. Disney says they will contact each of the registered runners today by email, and provide a full refund of registration fees and for any event merchandise they may have pre-ordered.
    Disney cites the ongoing construction related to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and the Disneyland Resort expansion as the basis for this decision, saying, "Given the level of construction to support the ongoing Disneyland Resort expansion, we have been working hard to determine how we can continue providing our West Coast participants with the best possible runDisney experience, which is designed around the ability to run throughout our resorts while enjoying entertainment offerings and characters."

The company says race events will continue at the Walt Disney World resort in Florida and the Disneyland Resort in Paris. The virtual race series will also continue.

This announcement also impacts partners in the runDisney Charity Groups Program, many of whom plan their annual fundraising efforts around runDisney events in Anaheim. Anticipating that runDisney was about to cancel the 2018 events, members of the runDisneyRun Facebook group had already created the LA Hyperspace Marathon and Ultra virtual race, a charity run benefiting Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC). Other groups are looking at partnering with other local races, such as the Rock n Roll Marathon series, or hosting non-race events as they work to raise funds for their respective charities.

The last race currently scheduled for the Disneyland Resort is next month's Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend. Registration is still open for the Super Heroes Half Marathon and Infinity Gauntlet Challenge events, for Disney fans who want to get in one more race around Anaheim before the hiatus.

Runners pass the Team MousePlanet cheer station during the Disneyland Half Marathon. MousePlanet file photo.

With just one Disneyland Resort event left on the calendar, Team MousePlanet is pulling out all the stops for our cheer station at the halfway point of the 2017 Super Heroes Half Marathon on Sunday, November 12. These cheer stations have become one of our largest community events, and we plan to go out in style. If you'd like to help us distribute cheer and carbohydrates to the runners, please visit our MousePlanet discussion forum to sign up.

Rows of personalized signs greet runners during the Disneyland Half Marathon. MousePlanet file photo.

If you're running in the 2017 Super Heroes Half Marathon, be sure to request a free personalized cheer sign to be displayed at the Team MousePlanet station on race day.

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

The one email that actually goes through to me is this. I just got it in my email. Can never get other emails but this one sure went through. LOL

Dear Cherished Runner,

Thank you for inquiring about runDisney events at Disneyland Resort.

After careful consideration and weighing all possibilities, we have made the very difficult decision to place all runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort on hiatus beginning in 2018 due to construction to support the ongoing Disneyland Resort expansion.

We greatly appreciate your interest in these events, and we encourage runners to continue to visit runDisney.com for other race opportunities. A full schedule of races at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Paris are currently still being offered, in addition to our virtual race series.

If you have any questions at all, a Disney Cast Member can assist you at 407-939-iRUN (4786), between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., EDT, seven days a week, or you may email us at runDisney@DisneySports.com.

Thank you for your understanding, and we hope to see you at one of our future events.

Sincerely,

Your friends at runDisney

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Here is the email they sent to registered runners:

Thank you for pre-registering for the 2018 Star Wars: Light Side Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort. We regret to inform you that this event weekend has been canceled.

For the past few months, registrations for runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort have been on hold. Given the level of construction to support the ongoing Disneyland Resort expansion, we have been working hard to determine how we can continue providing our West Coast participants with the best possible runDisney experience, which is designed around the ability to run throughout our resorts while enjoying entertainment offerings and characters.

After careful consideration and weighing all possibilities, we have made the very difficult decision to place all runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort on hiatus beginning in 2018. This includes Star Wars: The Light Side Half Marathon Weekend.

You will be fully refunded for your registration fees and for any commemorative items you may have purchased with your original form of payment. This will be reflected on your next billing statement. In addition, if you have any questions at all, a Disney Cast Member can assist you at 407-939-iRUN (4786), between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., EDT, seven days a week, or you may email us at runDisney@DisneySports.com.

We greatly appreciate your interest in this event, and we are thankful for all the magic and memories you have helped create at our race weekends through the years.

Thank you for your understanding, and we hope to see you at one of our future events.

Sincerely,

Your friends at runDisney

Glad that those who did preregister will get a full refund. Hopefully it won't be to long for it to get back to those of you that did it. I do hope that we will see the runs return once things have settled around DLR.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And notice it says 'beginning in 2018...'

Just heartbroken. Twelve wonderful years. I hope to heck they come back.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

The 2013 Disneyland half was my first half. I'm glad it was there as a goal for me when I started running, but sad it won't be there for the next round of new runners at least for some time.

Most recently, I had a BLAST running the Disneyland 5k with Simba0614, our two cubs and one of AVP's hobbits. I hope runDisney figures out whatever they need to figure out and the races come back before the cubs and hobbits get too old (and fast!) to want to run with us.

On the practical side I hope it isn't too much of a hassle getting Simba's Star Wars half marathon refund since our original form of payment is no longer valid thanks to credit card fraud a few months ago.

runDisney places Disneyland Resort events on hiatus starting in 2018

I hope the races return as well. Maybe it will give me the time to get a handle on my medical fuss and train to make it through a full 10k without getting swept.

-- Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    The 2013 Disneyland half was my first half. I'm glad it was there as a goal for me when I started running, but sad it won't be there for the next round of new runners at least for some time.

Most recently, I had a BLAST running the Disneyland 5k with Simba0614, our two cubs and one of AVP's hobbits. I hope runDisney figures out whatever they need to figure out and the races come back before the cubs and hobbits get too old (and fast!) to want to run with us.

On the practical side I hope it isn't too much of a hassle getting Simba's Star Wars half marathon refund since our original form of payment is no longer valid thanks to credit card fraud a few months ago.
    I'd contact them about that for the refund. They gave out the number and email to get in touch with them so wouldn't hurt to do so and make sure they have a way to get it to you. I know I am bummed because it was some special time with one of my sons. He knew this was coming but will break the news its official when he gets home. I have to tell my friend, who I had finally talked into doing Tink with me this year. She is going to be disappointed as she was looking forward to doing this again together.

Quote Originally Posted by chahn View Post
    I hope the races return as well. Maybe it will give me the time to get a handle on my medical fuss and train to make it through a full 10k without getting swept.
    I hope they do to. I have to say that the first 2 Star Wars and Super Heroes ones we did were 5ks. We moved up to 10k the next ones we did. I didn't make it through the first 10k. Was feeling sick from so much going on in my life at the moment and we had just signed papers to buy a house. Which somehow the weekend of Star Wars this year was when we were getting the keys to our house to move in and I made it through that 10k. I figured if it really is going to be on a hiatus that maybe by the time we see it return I will be ready for more. So I hope you are able to work towards the goal you want as well. Good luck!

Blog Entries

And I'm sure those who signed up for Dark Side to get the Kessel Run Challenge medal must be thrilled.

Guess this also spells the end of C2C as well.

RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    This announcement also impacts partners in the runDisney Charity Groups Program, many of whom plan their annual fundraising efforts around runDisney events in Anaheim. Anticipating that runDisney was about to cancel the 2018 events, members of the runDisneyRun Facebook group had already created the LA Hyperspace Marathon and Ultra virtual race, a charity run benefiting Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC). Other groups are looking at partnering with other local races, such as the Rock n Roll Marathon series, or hosting non-race events as they work to raise funds for their respective charities.
    You know, if they wanted to, Disney could sponsor local races. Directing some of their traffic to other races and directing some traffic to the charities that supported runDisney for years would be a nice way to be a good neighbor. And maybe keep some of their customers and even capture a few more if they plan to offer races again.

Blog Entries

Well, after months of no changes in the least, they moved fast today.

2018 DLand Events Gone.jpg

RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    And I'm sure those who signed up for Dark Side to get the Kessel Run Challenge medal must be thrilled.

Guess this also spells the end of C2C as well.
    I'm one of those who would have seriously hesitated to sign up for Dark Side in the hopes of getting Kessel Run when Star Wars Disneyland wasn't even on sale yet and rumours were swirling.

No C2C or pink C2C, and anyone who wants castle-to-chateau will have to do one of the WDW races.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    You know, if they wanted to, Disney could sponsor local races. Directing some of their traffic to other races and directing some traffic to the charities that supported runDisney for years would be a nice way to be a good neighbor. And maybe keep some of their customers and even capture a few more if they plan to offer races again.
    I can't see them "sponsoring" a race if they don't have full control of it. And since it won't be in the parks, it still won't have the same Disney magic or characters.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I can't see them "sponsoring" a race if they don't have full control of it. And since it won't be in the parks, it still won't have the same Disney magic or characters.
    "Support" then. There's a lot they could do (could do, not will do) without it being a runDisney race. Like provide race shirts or water stations or photo ops. It might not appeal to everyone, but it would to some. And like I said, it would help the charities that they partnered with and keep some of their audience.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    When does Disney ever do that? well, I know they do community service but its still run by them - its not someone else's event. Unless they can tie in resort visits, merch sales, etc. its not going to happen. Good will? Have you seen prices at the park's lately? Sorry for being mr. negative but its the way it is these days. Good will left sometime in the 90s, maybe sooner.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    well, I know they do community service but its still run by them - its not someone else's event. Unless they can tie in resort visits, merch sales, etc. its not going to happen. Good will? Have you seen prices at the park's lately? Sorry for being mr. negative but its the way it is these days. Good will left sometime in the 90s, maybe sooner
    You do know that Disney as a company (like a lot of companies, like a lot of people) does a lot of good things that don't get publicized, right?

It kind of amazes me that you continue to support and spend money on a company that you rip (sometimes unfairly) on a regular basis.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    You do know that Disney as a company (like a lot of companies, like a lot of people) does a lot of good things that don't get publicized, right?

It kind of amazes me that you continue to support and spend money on a company that you rip (sometimes unfairly) on a regular basis.
    I understand. I just believe there's always a desire to bring it back to their business, that's all.

I spend the money because there are still some activities I like to do. I don't like every single thing that a lot of companies do - but that doesn't necessarily mean I stop spending dollars for what I want to spend money on. Activist consumer is not a requirement last I checked.

But let's get on topic and not make it about me, shall we?

In the running space I don't think they would tie themselves to other runs because it may dilute their brand. That may change in the future but they'd have to figure out the re-entry into the running space is SoCal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    When does Disney ever do that? well, I know they do community service but its still run by them - its not someone else's event. Unless they can tie in resort visits, merch sales, etc. its not going to happen. Good will? Have you seen prices at the park's lately? Sorry for being mr. negative but its the way it is these days. Good will left sometime in the 90s, maybe sooner.
    Disney actually does a lot of community service, and I think this post is unfair on its own. Disney donates a lot to various organizations and even the runs provide support to various agencies.

I am sad about this recent turn. M 6yo granddaughter loves running the 5Ks, and since just before her 5th birthday, has ran 14, including all the Disney runs except Tink. She is going to be disappointed.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries

I wonder if they will still be able to do the Cast Member 5ks as well as the CHOC Walk...

RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Activist consumer is not a requirement last I checked.
    I never said it was, but thanks for trying to make it seem like I implied it. I just make observations based on what I observe.

I wonder if they will still be able to do the Cast Member 5ks as well as the CHOC Walk...
    I would think CHOC Walk would be ok since it's only 3 miles. It's been a while since I've done it, but I think it's fully on property, right, not requiring any street closures? I have a vague memory of the race ending in DTD, near Tortilla Jo's. With that race, there's much less pressure to deliver the same kind of product you would expect from the 5Ks associated with the race weekends. For CHOC, people aren't paying high prices for a 5K, but instead, it's a fundraiser, albeit with a minimum fundraising amount. I mentioned CHOC Walk to a group that I'm on, and there's a chance we may decide to do it together.

I saw this mentioned some place else and they sounded like they would be angry if that can be worked out but not the runDisney events. I am not sure if they understand the difference in these events though. I think depending on how much construction takes over it isn't that big an issue and can be worked out since CHOC Walk isn't the same as the marathon weekends. Hopefully if they are able to do those still the ones sounding angry will have mellowed a bit by that point and either take part or at the very least not be negative towards an event like CHOC Walk on sites discussing it.

I have to say that its said reading in other places the bitter and angry comments. I hope those feeling that way don't take it out on CMs during the runDisney events coming up or by phone/email either....or those thinking its something more and still the city that they don't start after the city either. I think we all agree its a major bummer to have this happen and wish they would have said something sooner...more so those that made flight reservations I'm sure....but it sounds like runDisney was trying to find a way to make things work. Unfortunately it wasn't going to be able to. Heck it could have been the higher ups in Disneyland Resort that said its not going to work out no matter what runDisney tried to do. Only they all know the whole story though but yet I don't think its reasons for the way some are behaving though.

It sounds like those that want to back out of Princess or Dark Side are being allowed to as well since they had signed up in hopes of the extra medal.

Ahh, I hope so. The CHOC walk is really special and helps bring a lot of funds to CHOC, which are much needed. I would be sadder for that to go than I am for any of the half marathon weekends.

And, I also hope they keep the cast member 5ks. Im not a cast member myself, but a friend of mine has offered us to do it with him and his wife for 2 years now, and we always really enjoy it. I feel like it is a really nice thing they do for cast members and their family/ friends. It also does not seem to use as many resources as the actual runDisney events.

Blog Entries

Well that was fast. Refunds for SW Light Side pre-registration have already been processed.

RunningFool

Well that was fast. Refunds for SW Light Side pre-registration have already been processed.
    They had it all lined up well to get things done it seems. Announcement, then make sure that money got back right away. Better to get it done fast though I am sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    They had it all lined up well to get things done it seems. Announcement, then make sure that money got back right away. Better to get it done fast though I am sure.
    Yup. The only issue is if the card originally used has been canceled. Active will only refund to the original card used. Welcome to a very expensive challenge.
    RunningFool

Well, after months of no changes in the least, they moved fast today.

2018 DLand Events Gone.jpg
    I noticed that too. I have been checking each morning and this morning there was a "problem accessing the page" and it would not load so I thought this was what was going on. Bummer because 2017 was our first runDisney at Light Side and I injured myself getting off the plane so hobbled the 5k, got swept in the 10k and missed the Half altogether and my teenager got swept in the Half so we were looking for redemption this coming year. Guess that's not gonna happen.

Darlene aka MotoGP Goddess