Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dogs Welcome at Select Walt Disney World Hotels Starting Oct. 15

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dogs Welcome at Select Walt Disney World Hotels Starting Oct. 15

Click here for the blog post.
    This announcement blew up the internet at the end of last week. Lots of very "spirited" discussions on different FB groups and the like.

Read the article... what do you think?
    Ill post some of my thoughts later...
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

2. # ADS

We have an older yellow lab. A beautiful old soul. But in her old age she has started barking when left alone. It would be very selfish of us to know this information and then inflict that on our fellow hotel quests.

I can appreciate that people love their pets, but I can't see how Disney can hope to keep this such that there is no impact at those resorts for those who do not want anything to do with dogs for one reason or another.

They claim they will keep it separate, but I'm skeptical. It's not like there is a huge surplus of rooms as it is (unless maybe those resorts listed are always undersold - I guess only Disney knows that for sure, but I would find that difficult to believe). I assume Disney probably took a bunch of guest surveys and has a fair idea of how many rooms they can fill with pet desires, but that's not going to be perfect. If rooms are fully dedicated for pet use, that would infer that if there is not a full demand for them, the rooms would remain empty, and Disney would not try to sterilize the area and book people who don't want to be in the pet zones in those rooms.

The point I am trying to make is it's now potentially even more difficult to find a non-pet room at these resorts with the new dedicated pet zone rooms.

Also, even if they do keep it separate, somewhere in the resort will be the dividing line for pets vs. no pets.

With any resort that has the door to the rooms outside, I guess it's easier to imagine less impact since your room goes directly to the outside and there are multiple paths you can take to get where you want to go. I see a possible issue at Yacht Club (or AoA Suite buildings maybe - all but Mermaid, I think?) though. Since everyone walks through the same hallways, how do you help guest not run into dogs on the way to or from their rooms? I've only stayed at Yacht Club once for a few days, but I seem to recall it was basically a single path to follow to get to your room down whichever of the 2 main wings you were in. Whichever area is for the pet zone, I don't see how you keep it so people who don't want to don't run into dogs (much less hear them if they get into a barking fit).

There is certainly a lot to consider.

-Dave

I agree with all the thoughts posted above. So I'll talk about a different concern that I have.
    There will always be guests who will push the limits. Someone is going to have their dog in a "purse" and go down to buy something from the food area or gift shop. And then a CM will have to tell them to go. I can hear the argument now. *sigh* It will not be pretty.

On a different note, I can't help but wonder if the recent pet stays during the hurricane precipitated this change. During Irma people were there not to go on vacation, but to stay safe. I'll bet that they paid a lot of attention to their pets to reassure them and because there weren't many places to go with pets. Also the weather was dicey and guests stayed at their resorts and had limited access to the parks.
    I'm just saying/wondering if the good experience WDW had at that time is what prompted this. I kind of hope not because people can act very differently during an emergency and during their vacation, which is understandable.

Just my thoughts,
    GnP

Blog Entries

As promised, I said I would comment later. I wrote the following on my FB group and I thought I would share it here. It does refer to other comments, so hopefully it is not lost in context.

First off - I got some moderate allergies. Im thankful that they are controlled well via OTC drugs 90% of the time. My kids are much more allergic to things that I am and are doing an allergy shot regimen and the like. I dont have any complaints with how Disney dealt with allergen related issues up to this point in my long career of being a Disney guest. Someone smoked in a non-smoking room: Asked to be moved - and got moved. Concerned about being in a former smoking room after Disney made a switch - they notated it and they deep cleaned the room before we arrived. So going forward, if we plan on staying at any of the resorts, we are going to request to either not placed in a pet friendly room or request that the room get a deep clean beforehand. For us- that works. Im fine with it. I respect the fact that there are others that it might not be good enough because of their personal situation. I dont think conflicting availability of rooms is going to be a huge concern unless you are traveling during the most busy times of the year.

Yes, I can go to a different resort. However, for the times I want to pay cash for a room, the resorts offering this option are the ones that I would like to stay at from time to time. This makes me consider things a bit more and I think have to make some decisions. For me - not a show stopper. For some, it may be. Thats fine. I respect that.

It was brought to my attention that up to this point, the rooms Ive stayed in the past may have had a service animal in them already. Yep - and after consideration, I can relate to that. It also means that housekeeping has done their job well - at least from what I can tell.

None of us are going to be able to avoid allergens from other guests. Heck, the clothes people pack at home can still carry allergen-triggering dander, etc. They wear them in the parks, and they can still trigger events for the very sensitive. Thats not going to change. Yes, I get the idea that there is a chance that being directly exposed to a dog is going to provide with a fresher exposure to those allergens. This is kinda the same as any other public place, though. I respectfully acknowledge that there are people that have to deal with this sort of exposure on a daily basis and up to this point, they had to deal with it less at Disney. At the same time, I know I dont have any suggestion as to how to help reducing the risk of exposure in public areas.

I dont see this option causing the resorts to be overrun with pets. I really dont. I think it will take mousekeeping a bit longer to clean some rooms because there will be an uptick in necessary deep cleans at checkout. But overall, I dont see this becoming a "hotel for dogs." (A cute family movie, by the way...)

I do see the -possible- uptick in people trying to get fake service dog creds for their pet so they can bring them into the park. We know the laws (not DIsney's rules) make it very easy for this to happen as it is, and I think Disney's hands are tied in a way. I think there is a possibility for this to happen even more so. I could be wrong. I hope Im wrong. I do know of one person personally, first hand, who did get fake creds for their pet so they can take the pet to Disney... and it irritates the crap out of me because it gives a bad name for those what need such service animals for legit purposes.

Disney will need to be on their best game trying to keep guests from breaking rules. If they keep to their rules, and make sure that guests dont have creative license to do what they want with their pets, I think this will probably be fine.

I see for the time being Disney becoming overwhelmed with requests and questions about this. Same goes for TA's as well. So, if you are concerned about this, please be patient with Disney or your TA so that they can help you get the answers you seek.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I am a DOG person thru & thru! I always obsess over leaving the pups when we travel, luckily we have a system worked out where they can stay home. Worst case scenario is a local small boarding facility that the dogs are already familiar with. I can't imagine why anyone would take their dogs out of a comfortable and/or familiar place to a strange place. It would cause the dogs undue stress. It would create a uncomfortable situation for a lot of dogs. Stressed out dogs can reek havoc in a small space...Hey - sure, MY dog would be just fine, would never chew something up/have a accident in the room/bark incessantly because they are miserable is what I suppose a lot of folks would say. But I just don't know - I think it is a potential nightmare. I wonder if they've already got a few rooms set aside for folks who are traveling with legitimate service dogs, rooms dedicated to those customers (so not to mix the dog hair in with other non-dog rooms). If so I'd guess those existing rooms are near outdoor areas for relieving the dogs. If they allow the general public to bring their dogs I can see where they might get folks who aren't so considerate with their dogs relieving themselves. I know that sometimes, no matter how much I vacuum, I don't always get the dog hair up - so now they'll have general public rooms with the potential for dog hair contamination. There are folks with real dog allergies out there, how do they accommodate their needs?
    I don't know - I am not sure this will go over well. It seems like an answer to a problem that didn't exist. I wonder how many folks try and/or succeed in sneaking their dogs in now??? I don't doubt many folks try to get away with it. Some successfully would be my guess.

The general consensus on the sites I've read about this on (admittedly only three counting this one!) is that this is NOT a popular idea.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if they've already got a few rooms set aside for folks who are traveling with legitimate service dogs, rooms dedicated to those customers (so not to mix the dog hair in with other non-dog rooms).
    They dont have rooms dedicated/set aside for those who are visiting with service animals.

There is something of a debate of facts going around now on if Disney does a "deep cleaning" or "allergen cleaning" on rooms that housed an animal as well.... and if such cleanings will occur in the future for rooms that housed a pet and/or service animal.

If anyone has direct knowledge of sorts, it would make for some great information.

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    They dont have rooms dedicated/set aside for those who are visiting with service animals.

There is something of a debate of facts going around now on if Disney does a "deep cleaning" or "allergen cleaning" on rooms that housed an animal as well.... and if such cleanings will occur in the future for rooms that housed a pet and/or service animal.

If anyone has direct knowledge of sorts, it would make for some great information.
    It's right there in the Disney Parks Blog article that they will "designate certain floors or sections of a hotel as dog-friendly, while the majority of areas will remain canine-free to accommodate Guests with allergies or other concerns."

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    It's right there in the Disney Parks Blog article that they will "designate certain floors or sections of a hotel as dog-friendly, while the majority of areas will remain canine-free to accommodate Guests with allergies or other concerns."
    There are also reports of people asking CMs on the phone and getting a very different answer (i.e., no guarantees your room has been dog free, rooms can be dispersed throughout the resort, etc).

So while it might be "right there" when people are getting different answers when they inquire, there is a problem, hence GusMan's note.

You write your comment as if people just can't be bothered to read, which is not the case for most of us. I glanced through at least the first 155 comments or so on the original DPB story between yesterday and today reading peoples reactions, and some actual reports on experiences relating to inquiries made regarding impact for imminent trips(some as soon as this week or a few weeks out) , how many have you read?
    -Dave

Blog Entries
    Up to this point, it was never stated by Disney that there were dedicated floors / rooms to accommodate guests with service animals. (Maybe there were... maybe there weren't. Admittedly, I dont know.) That was how I was answering the question at hand. I see how I worded it poorly, given the context. My apologies.

At the same time, you are correct about the blog's statements. Though, it does not say that such rooms in those floors/buildings will ONLY be for guests with dogs. Meaning - guests without pets may still end up in a room that recently had a pet. I see the chances of this happening increase during the busy times of the year. This is what people (with allergies) are worried about.

With all due respect to Disney... If Disney cant/doesn't block off handicapped accessible rooms just for those with disabilities, I dont see this happening for pet-friendly rooms either.

I think what GusMan brought up about the guests trying to bring their dogs into the parks could be a big issues to come for those that will claim service dog or comfort dog (yes I know it doesn't follow under the ADA but for some reason they still get away with it). I hope they weren't doing this because of how some behaved while there during the Hurricane. Those are a select few that probably were grateful for the place to shelter with their pets and wouldn't have behaved in a bad manner. While there are those that may let their dog go wherever and not pick up after them or walk in places they shouldn't be. How will check in be handled? You may have guests allergic in the same area or deathly afraid and then what happens? I have had 2 kids that were deathly afraid of dogs but thankfully outgrew that. Yet if we were to walk into our hotel to check in to start our vacation and came across dogs it would have not been fun for us to deal with. More so if the dog owners let their dogs just go up to others like nothing. I see many issues that can come from this. I know there are some great dog owners that would follow the rules but the facts are there are many more that won't. And as was said when hotels get extra busy and crowded, they will fill all the open rooms with guests no matter what. So its going to be a factor that guests not wanting to be in a room dogs have been will have to really push to not be no matter how busy it is or make sure that room gets the deep cleaning it will need. So its easy for Disney to say rooms and certain sections will be for those with dogs but the facts of what can happen when its extra busy is that those claims will be thrown out the window just to fill the rooms. I know that the last thing I want is to be in a room near others with dogs or in a room that let dogs in it. Of course I will never understand the need to take one's pet(s) on vacation like that with them or to shop in any store even.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I think what GusMan brought up about the guests trying to bring their dogs into the parks could be a big issues to come for those that will claim service dog or comfort dog ........................While there are those that may let their dog go wherever and not pick up after them or walk in places they shouldn't be. How will check in be handled? You may have guests allergic in the same area or deathly afraid and then what happens?............................. Yet if we were to walk into our hotel to check in to start our vacation and came across dogs it would have not been fun for us to deal with. More so if the dog owners let their dogs just go up to others like nothing. ........................ I know there are some great dog owners that would follow the rules but the facts are there are many more that won't. ................. I know that the last thing I want is to be in a room near others with dogs or in a room that let dogs in it..........................
    +1 on all of this.

True service dogs I can accept easier, if they are truly trained as service dogs and don't interact with other people except for the person they are there for. (doesn't help the allergy situation for those with problems in that regard of course)

My life experiences with dog owners who don't give a darn and assume their dog is "OK" and therefore believe everyone should embrace the dog's presence drives my thoughts immensely over this topic. "Oh, don't worry, he's friendly/doesn't bite/just wants to play, etc." Doesn't matter to someone like me who is not into the whole dog thing. Many people who are dog centric can't comprehend that others are not apparently. I am sure there are some good conscientious dog owners who do control their animal so they do not negatively interact with others, but my life experiences are more prevalent in the other direction.

I cannot imagine being on line at check in during a busy period at a hotel and having a party with a dog right in front of or behind me. (Assuming the dog is not trained to ignore other people like a service dog - if he just sits there and doesn't try to nudge, sniff, lick, put paws up on me, etc, I would be relatively tolerant) Add an owner who is in passive mode, possibly even paying more attention to an app on their phone than the dog while waiting in line and it's a recipe for disaster. I would likely be guilty of letting out several "un-Disney" phrases if a dog did any of these things to me while in close proximity.
    -Dave

Yes, I am a dog person. Dogs are smarter than most humans these days, or at least have a lot more common sense and act courteously. I miss my little Beagle friend when on vacation. However, I wouldn't think of taking her with me and then locking her up all day when she can be home running free in her yard.

Plus, a WDW trip is stressful and hectic. We try to get up early and stay out really late. There's plenty to worry about just keeping ourselves healthy enough to wring the most out of our pricy park tickets.

I have allergies to some dust and pollen, like most folks these days. And cats. Those little vermin are not good for breathing people... They are far worse than dogs for causing allergies and foul odors indoors. So even if they go to hard flooring in pet friendly rooms, I'm glad they aren't taking about allowing cats in.

But overall I'm not sure how this will play out. Since places are usually well booked, this may be tested and cancelled soon, or it may stay. Dollars will make the choice...

Dave1313, I think to many of us have experiences like that. We lived in an apartment complex were most the people that had dogs were that way. As well as the barking all day and night factor we went through for almost a year for the neighbor (freakshow as we called them). I just wouldn't want to start my vacation anywhere that way. As it is when I find a hotel for when we do go anywhere I do not pick ones that allow pets. I am fine with legit service dogs. They are doing a job for the owner but I am not into the frauds or those that can't leave the pets behind and must do everything and anything with them.

nickjandrews, you bring up good points on it too. Not only because it is stressful but the fact that how many are going to leave the parks a couple times a day or so to go back to take their pet out for a few minutes to do business and just get outside? I would hope there is certain areas they are only suppose to be walked around but have doubts it would be kept to the rules in that manner or CMs would tell the dog owners this isn't ok in that area. BTW, I am not a dog person but a cat person. Yet I would never in a million years take my cats with me on vacation. Talk about a pet that can stress out from a different environment from home. As you said also there are those with allergies. I wouldn't want the person after us to have to worry about that if they were. I know people consider their pets part of the family (yes are kitties are too) but that doesn't mean that part of the family is suppose to do everything the rest is. I think that is the issues that come up. They don't understand that the pets are not going to enjoy being dragged around to places like that to be left alone or dragged a theme park with loud, scary noises.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

"of course my kitty loves Space Mountain! You have to let her ride!" She said as she runs her hand over a couple of the Band-Aids covering her face and arms...

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    "of course my kitty loves Space Mountain! You have to let her ride!" She said as she runs her hand over a couple of the Band-Aids covering her face and arms...
    LOL Thank you for that laugh this morning.

Some people are inconsiderate, and some are just nitwits. I tell people Rosie is a tactical beagle. Or sometimes I say she's a Surface Dog. But she hates loud noises, and I'd never even consider subjecting her to the kind of crazy a theme park is! I have enough trouble keeping myself conscious and aware of my park pack.

Some people are inconsiderate, and some are just nitwits. I tell people Rosie is a tactical beagle. Or sometimes I say she's a Surface Dog. But she hates loud noises, and I'd never even consider subjecting her to the kind of crazy a theme park is! I have enough trouble keeping myself conscious and aware of my park pack.
    Exactly. The conscientious dog owners are the caring people who think about the negative things that could happen to the dog, you and the people around you. And so they are the good owners who will leave their pets at home. But the needy pet owners who are blind to everyone and everything are unfortunately the ones who will likely show up and cause grief. At least that's the thought that keeps running thru my mind. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post
    Exactly. The conscientious dog owners are the caring people who think about the negative things that could happen to the dog, you and the people around you. And so they are the good owners who will leave their pets at home. But the needy pet owners who are blind to everyone and everything are unfortunately the ones who will likely show up and cause grief. At least that's the thought that keeps running thru my mind. *sigh*
    Aye!

Forgot to add that a lot of people should also leave their kids at home!

So very, very true.

Forgot to add that a lot of people should also leave their kids at home!
    This is true as well but those are usually the same people that probably should be left at home as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Up to this point, it was never stated by Disney that there were dedicated floors / rooms to accommodate guests with service animals. (Maybe there were... maybe there weren't. Admittedly, I dont know.) That was how I was answering the question at hand. I see how I worded it poorly, given the context. My apologies.

At the same time, you are correct about the blog's statements. Though, it does not say that such rooms in those floors/buildings will ONLY be for guests with dogs. Meaning - guests without pets may still end up in a room that recently had a pet. I see the chances of this happening increase during the busy times of the year. This is what people (with allergies) are worried about.

With all due respect to Disney... If Disney cant/doesn't block off handicapped accessible rooms just for those with disabilities, I dont see this happening for pet-friendly rooms either.
    That's true. Service animals are allowed everywhere, not just at Disney. Any hotel you stay at may have had a service animal stay in that room unless they have designated "allergen-free" rooms (or similar).

If you have an allergy and are planning to stay at one of the 4 resorts that will allow pets, it is a good idea to note this in your reservation so that you will not be assigned to a room where pets have stayed. I will definitely do that if I stay at one of them.

Pets have been allowed at many other hotel properties for years, likely without people even knowing about it: Four Seasons, La Quinta, Kimpton, Loews, Best Western, Fairmont, Hotel Indigo, and others.

That's true. Service animals are allowed everywhere, not just at Disney. Any hotel you stay at may have had a service animal stay in that room unless they have designated "allergen-free" rooms (or similar).

If you have an allergy and are planning to stay at one of the 4 resorts that will allow pets, it is a good idea to note this in your reservation so that you will not be assigned to a room where pets have stayed. I will definitely do that if I stay at one of them.

Pets have been allowed at many other hotel properties for years, likely without people even knowing about it: Four Seasons, La Quinta, Kimpton, Loews, Best Western, Fairmont, Hotel Indigo, and others.
    While yes that is true that many hotels do they don't all allow in each of their hotels either. I actually look for that when I do search out a hotel so that I can stay in a different one. With making note for the WDW ones, that requires knowing that this is allowed in their hotels and not all will be aware of this change. Not everyone reads the blog or sites like this so they may not be aware when they may need to be. I don't know if WDW is letting those that are book know this is change is happening but maybe they should with a little note at the top of the website or one of the first things to make them aware of when its done by phone.

Dogs Welcome at Select Walt Disney World Hotels Starting Oct. 15

I think this is a horrible idea. Dogs require lots of care and they can’t get that properly if their owners are 7 hours in a park while they sit it out in an unknown room. So not fair on the animals. From a more personal perspective it is a fact that dogs smell. Even clean ones. I don’t want a dog smelly room. I will completely avoid dog resorts in the future which is a shame, as POR is my favourite moderate.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    I will completely avoid dog resorts in the future which is a shame, as POR is my favourite moderate.
    I'm a dog person, I love dogs, and I completely agree with you! Why anyone would do that to their dog is beyond me. Everything I've read on this, the response from the general Disney parks-going public has been against. To be clear, no one has any problems with legitimate service dogs. But that is soooo much different than opening it up to every Tom, Dick & Harry to bring their dogs. POR is my favorite moderate as well, and I'm hoping that after this test period has run it's course they do away with it. But if not, I'm hoping they keep it to those 4 resorts and not make the change resort-wide.