Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Star Trek: Discovery

I watched the first episode tonight since it was on regular TV. There were some things I liked about it, and there were some things I decidedly did NOT like about it. If it was going to continue to be on regular TV, I'd keep it for now. But, I'm not subscribing to a service just to watch one show.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2. # ADS

I agree. I both liked and disliked it. And NO WAY I'm subscribing to CBS to watch their programming. That could get way out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok, so I went to watch E1 yesterday only to find out that CBS, in their usual manner, ran long in their programming because of sports programming earlier in the day.
    This caused, no FORCED, me to sign up for the All Access trial to finish watching it. I proceeded to watch E2 as well. My biggest vent with that is that CBS has always had this problem - sports throwing off programming times. It kinda makes you have to watch Sunday prime time programs on demand because of it.

I thought the first two episodes were pretty good, but Im not quite sold on it. Will probably dole out the cash for a month of CBSAA to watch it and then decide if I want to bother with the rest. Ive spent more money on less value. I still think they are trying to create a product for a niche market, which I dont think can really survive long term being the only original content on CBSAA.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I suspect it may be more effect than cause, but the third episode had content that likely would have been a problem for broadcast TV. There was one swear word (actually a bit startling in a Star Trek show), but also some violent images that were unexpectedly graphic. The episode had a TV-MA rating and the promo for next week's episode showed the same rating (the 2-part opener was TV-14). I'm a little mixed on whether this is a good thing or not, honestly. This obviously gives them some additional freedom, but I'm not entirely sure I like seeing Star Trek go in that direction.

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    This caused, no FORCED, me to sign up for the All Access trial to finish watching it. I proceeded to watch E2 as well.
    Unless a Klingon showed up and threatened you with a bat'leth, no, you weren't forced.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Unless a Klingon showed up and threatened you with a bat'leth, no, you weren't forced.
    I would have laughed out loud at this, but I was at work.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Wow! How did you know?

So, to clarify my semi-rant...
    CBS seems to have a real problem with Sunday afternoon programming as it causes a lot of havoc to their prime time programming. Im not sure if everyone else sees this in their regions, but it's a pain to compensate for it, even with a DVR.

Being that I could not watch the rest of E1 without doing the trial of CBSAA, because of of their programming overruns, I had no other choice. I mean, I could have just watched the first 40 minutes of it and been done with it, but that wasn't going to happen.

Watching E2 was a choice I made after finishing E1. Ill watch E3 this coming weekend.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I think CBS doesn't consider this a problem. They can get you to go to their paid site to watch programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    CBS seems to have a real problem with Sunday afternoon programming as it causes a lot of havoc to their prime time programming. Im not sure if everyone else sees this in their regions, but it's a pain to compensate for it, even with a DVR.
    It seems to be a fairly common issue on the east coast because football games often run long, into prime time. We don't generally have that problem out here on the west coast because the games are early. Only the Sunday night game, Monday night game and Thursday night game might have that issue, but then those networks don't generally schedule any real programming for those evenings after the game.

Sporting events, the Oscars, and any other live programming can cause problems because there's no way to predict when they will end.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

They announced earlier this week that the show has been picked up for season 2.

When I run out of things to watch (if that ever happens), I'll probably try to watch this.

Blog Entries
    They announced earlier this week that the show has been picked up for season 2.

When I run out of things to watch (if that ever happens), I'll probably try to watch this.
    Yea, Ill probably ditch CBSAA after Im done watching what Im currently watching.

Blog Entries

So, now that I finally got done watching the first part of S1.... I will say that I think it ended up on a decent, if not a good note. Sure, it was a cliffhanger, but Im hoping that the second half of S1 will keep the good momentum going. Still think that when you compare it to The Orville, the Orville has a slight lead when it comes to watchability. But thats just my 2 cents.