Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney's Relationship with Anaheim

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Disney's Relationship with Anaheim

Well, this article from the LA Times could explain why we are hearing rumblings that the City Council won't approve the DLand races in 2018. Sounds like a real standoff between DLand and the Mayor regarding subsidies DLand receives from the City.

"Is Disney Paying its share"

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Well, this article from the LA Times could explain why we are hearing rumblings that the City Council won't approve the DLand races in 2018. Sounds like a real standoff between DLand and the Mayor regarding subsidies DLand receives from the City.

"Is Disney Paying its share"
    If they have to drop races in order to negotiate the eastern parking area they'll drop the races in a heartbeat in my opinion. It looks like, though, that nothing will come easy. Interesting that if they don't keep building they may be at risk of missing the thresholds for tax breaks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I read that but I still don't think the city has a thing to do with what is going on with the races. I think its more Disney. There is just way to much going on over the next few years with the parks. You have ground breaking and construction of a new overpriced Disney hotel in the lot used for runDisney going on. Then work done on the re-theme of the pier area in DCA. Toss in all going on with the land that I shall not name and how insane it will end up around there...for who knows how long. I just think its about time runDisney say something though because of those that already put money into LS. Don't even have to give any reason behind things but just need to let people know if races are happening or not and if not give the money back already in full. At this point it would be impossible for many to even sign up for LS and I have noticed more and more moving on to other things instead. I don't blame them. I know if it popped up at this point we would be out as well. Even though we are local its just not in the budget right now for 2 of us and the hotel cost.

There was a bunch of things in that article that are very one sided I thought and things that are not Disney's fault and they have no control over. They are not the only company out there to make deals with a city like this either.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I read that but I still don't think the city has a thing to do with what is going on with the races. I think its more Disney. There is just way to much going on over the next few years with the parks. You have ground breaking and construction of a new overpriced Disney hotel in the lot used for runDisney going on. Then work done on the re-theme of the pier area in DCA. Toss in all going on with the land that I shall not name and how insane it will end up around there...for who knows how long. I just think its about time runDisney say something though because of those that already put money into LS. Don't even have to give any reason behind things but just need to let people know if races are happening or not and if not give the money back already in full. At this point it would be impossible for many to even sign up for LS and I have noticed more and more moving on to other things instead. I don't blame them. I know if it popped up at this point we would be out as well. Even though we are local its just not in the budget right now for 2 of us and the hotel cost.

There was a bunch of things in that article that are very one sided I thought and things that are not Disney's fault and they have no control over. They are not the only company out there to make deals with a city like this either.
    Two things
    1) I did not think the story was very one sided. It presented the Disney proposals for tax benefits, as well as what the city provided, and it also presented the negative opinions of independent analysis of the deals. Disney chose not to respond - so that's their choice

2) I thought the portion of the lot hat was going to house the Hotel was the one next to Rain Forest Cafe and the Monorail Station. At least that's what the drawings showed when it was proposed. RunDisney does not use that portion of the lot but it may have to use other parts of the lot to store equipment and debris.

So not only RunDisney but all Downtown Disney parking may be affected. And u thought M&F is busy now...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Anaheim, like Orlando, would be nothing today without the mouse. The hostile posture from the city council is more of a reaction from the gate tax exemption that the city manager gave more than anything. Remember that sales tax (6%) goes right to the city plus the room tax for hotels. Just about everything sold inside the park is taxed. If the city wants more money it can pass a sales tax district around the park that would only affect the tourist business. Just look at Katella and Harbor streets. Growing up in that same area it was mostly a slum filled with a lot of crime. Now it is what just about any other city would die for.

The problem with the city council (all city councils) is they change with each election. Count on pro tourist backed council members to be running against those that oppose the park. If the city was serious about negotiations it would have a long term plan and professional negotiators on staff or contract. That entire area from West/Katella to Main/Katella is an empire that has been fueled by Disney.

For me, the bigger it grows, the better it gets. They could take over east of Harbor between the 5 and Katella and it would be much better than it is now. As for the city, it is getting it's fair share.

Quote Originally Posted by binki View Post
    For me, the bigger it grows, the better it gets. They could take over east of Harbor between the 5 and Katella and it would be much better than it is now. As for the city, it is getting it's fair share.

Agree with you there.

2) I thought the portion of the lot hat was going to house the Hotel was the one next to Rain Forest Cafe and the Monorail Station. At least that's what the drawings showed when it was proposed. RunDisney does not use that portion of the lot but it may have to use other parts of the lot to store equipment and debris.

So not only RunDisney but all Downtown Disney parking may be affected. And u thought M&F is busy now...
    olegc, we shall just agree to disagree on the one part. Yet I am not sure where it was being built in that section but the fact is it will affect things for sure with both, runDisney and Downtown Disney. Which I wonder what the plan will be for those wanting to go into Downtown Disney. Seems that is something that they should let guests know about sooner rather than later so there is that heads up given.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"