Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Building a Disney Park at Home

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Building a Disney Park at Home

Building a Disney Park at Home by Gregg Jacobs

Disney has merchandised models of Park icons for years. Gregg shares the best to build your own Disney Park at home.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Fun article! Some other honorable mentions would be the Olszewski buildings and the Avanzino shadowboxes. Never a shortage of things to collect relating to Disney...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    Fun article! Some other honorable mentions would be the Olszewski buildings and the Avanzino shadowboxes. Never a shortage of things to collect relating to Disney...
    Thank you!

You're right about the Olszewski pieces, and i totally forgot about Dave Avanzino! Those shadowboxes with park and attraction names spelled out in icons are incredible. His originals are pricey, but there are reproductions that are very affordable.

Completely agree about the pricing on the Avanzino originals; I definitely do not own any originals. Ebay helped with the mass-produced items until Disney re-released the park shadowboxes for the 60th!

Great article, I especially love the monorails.

I didn't realize the new Cinderella Castle got redesigned to be smaller, I thought maybe they just re-designed the packaging and possibly made it disassemble a little to fit in the smaller box that showed up a year or 2 ago. Good to know, I guess I am glad I bought one that was the larger size a few years back!

While it's not listed under "monorail", there is also the Sleeping Beauty Castle available on disneyshopping.com. It looks to still be the open up play-set type. Great to match to the DL version of the monorail.

I also sought out the park icons over the last few years, but needed to hit eBay for a few. Over the years there have been so many cool add-ons for the monorails, but many are big $$ if you look for them in the secondary market. The rides that had representation were quite neat. There were some classics like Dumbo, Teacups, and Haunted Mansions (both coast versions), to more recent things like California Screamin', the Orange Stinger, and the Golden Zephyr, just to name a few. I would love to see them pick these types of offerings back up, as well as some of the Resort Hotels you mentioned.

To me the added remote control feature they added to the DL monorails when they produced the Mark VII trains was a great advancement. (hopefully someday they add that to the WDW toys, but I guess they don't see it as worthwhile at this point) I love the Orange and Red Mark VII cars, I can't understand why they didn't yet do the third color, Blue (seemed like a natural to go with the 60th Anniversary celebration 2 years ago).

Can you tell I like the monorail toys?

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Great article, I especially love the monorails.

I didn't realize the new Cinderella Castle got redesigned to be smaller, I thought maybe they just re-designed the packaging and possibly made it disassemble a little to fit in the smaller box that showed up a year or 2 ago. Good to know, I guess I am glad I bought one that was the larger size a few years back!

While it's not listed under "monorail", there is also the Sleeping Beauty Castle available on disneyshopping.com. It looks to still be the open up play-set type. Great to match to the DL version of the monorail.

I also sought out the park icons over the last few years, but needed to hit eBay for a few. Over the years there have been so many cool add-ons for the monorails, but many are big $$ if you look for them in the secondary market. The rides that had representation were quite neat. There were some classics like Dumbo, Teacups, and Haunted Mansions (both coast versions), to more recent things like California Screamin', the Orange Stinger, and the Golden Zephyr, just to name a few. I would love to see them pick these types of offerings back up, as well as some of the Resort Hotels you mentioned.

To me the added remote control feature they added to the DL monorails when they produced the Mark VII trains was a great advancement. (hopefully someday they add that to the WDW toys, but I guess they don't see it as worthwhile at this point) I love the Orange and Red Mark VII cars, I can't understand why they didn't yet do the third color, Blue (seemed like a natural to go with the 60th Anniversary celebration 2 years ago).

Can you tell I like the monorail toys?
    LOL. I can't think of a reason not to like the monorail toys:-) Thanks also for pointing out all the other different pieces there are in the collection. It really is amazing what they've made. I hope they continue to come out with new pieces.