Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Star Wars: Changing Directors, Why it Matters

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Star Wars: Changing Directors, Why it Matters

Star Wars: Changing Directors, Why it Matters by Todd King

Why do we care so much about news for a movie that hasn't even begun shooting yet?

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Both new sequels were disappointments. There were no memorial characters and plotlines. Seems like they took the mythologies of the original trilogy and blasted right through it. Sadly, I felt fhere was a change in tone of Star Wars. I thought Disney wanted to buy Star Wars to attract boys to a heavily girl driven princess in Disneyland theme park. Instead, they feminized the property. Now, the echoes of Princess Leia is matched with the new female fighters. Sigh.

The turmoil is reflected with how they want the Star Wars to be bland and female focused.

I disagree; I was not disappointed by The Force Awakens (which is the only sequel so far, not two as you mention - Rogue One was not a sequel).

"no memorial characters and plotlines" - Assuming you mean "memorable" characters and plotlines, Rey and Kylo Ren are particularly memorable. Rey with her awakening powers and sense of justice, Kylo Ren with his out-of-control emotions and warped sense of justice, and also Finn with his hasty attitude driven by strong convictions. These are all memorable to me--and original. Plotlines? This one is shaky because yes, there were a few similarities to past films, but that is not a unique issue to the saga: Return of the Jedi had its fair share of borrowed ideas including a Death Star that needed blown up, Jabba's Palace being an updated Cantina, R2D2 getting disabled at a critical moment, Han/Leia reversing "I love you/I know," and more. But Force Awakens mixed a bit of old but also new stories that had a defecting Stormtrooper, an old Han grown to be less skeptical, battles that took place on the ground/flying low, a villain so unstable and insecure that he's a threat to everything around him, a scavenger drawn into a world where she doesn't quite understand what's happening, etc. All quite memorable to me.

Yes, there was a change in tone. But there was a change from the originals and the prequels as well and that made many fans split--the prequels had a cleaner look, plot motivations were arguably thinner, there was more emphasis on political dealings, and there was a significantly more gruesome tone at the end of Episode III, etc. So, a change of tone is also not new to Star Wars either. So, only now you are bothered by a change in tone? Only now you're bothered because it is "girl driven" and "feminized" and "female focused"? Star Wars is about good fighting evil and that fight being told in a fantasy setting on many different levels: good/evil within ourselves, good/evil amongst our family, good/evil in the larger world. And those battles have been fought by men, women, aliens, and droids from the beginning.

~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo996 View Post
    Sadly, I felt fhere was a change in tone of Star Wars. I thought Disney wanted to buy Star Wars to attract boys to a heavily girl driven princess in Disneyland theme park. Instead, they feminized the property. Now, the echoes of Princess Leia is matched with the new female fighters. Sigh.

The turmoil is reflected with how they want the Star Wars to be bland and female focused.
    Wait, there are girls in Star Wars? That's horrible. No one cares about them. People were always playing with Luke and Han. No one wanted to play with Leia dolls. Did they even make them? Girls are boring. Why would anyone bother to put them in a Star Wars movie? I bet they're even going to make the new Han Solo movie about a girl.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

"I've seen your daily routine. You are NOT busy."