Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Well this is sad...

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well this is sad...

Received a note today from runDisney for completing the Virtual Shorts series. In the email was a link for a 'special offer' of $25 off registration for 2017 Super Heroes and 2018 Dark Side. No mention of Light Side. No mention of Tink. No mention of DLand.

I am just sooooo bummed that it's looking less and less like runDisney is coming back to DLand in 2018.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

I'm not sure how credible this information is, but a friend of mine who works for Disney mentioned that they might be postponing half marathons next year to re-evaluate the events. But he said JUST half marathons with the implication that Disney will still host 5ks and 10ks since they're mostly ran inside the parks. Either way, I'd be really bummed about having no runDisney events next year if this is in any way true. =(

Team ACES & EIGHTS

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
    - Walt Disney

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by s0rt0ffairytale View Post
    I'm not sure how credible this information is, but a friend of mine who works for Disney mentioned that they might be postponing half marathons next year to re-evaluate the events. But he said JUST half marathons with the implication that Disney will still host 5ks and 10ks since they're mostly ran inside the parks. Either way, I'd be really bummed about having no runDisney events next year if this is in any way true. =(
    how do you justify the expos and the other on course stuff with just 5ks and 10ks? 10K is my preferred distance but I know that can't sustain the big machine unless you raise prices significantly. and they don't love locals that much to focus solely on us to sustain these races. It would be better to not hold races at all (and incur costs) than it would be to try and make it happen. Stinks from our end but from the business side i can't see 5s and 10s happening.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I agree with olegc, i don't believe Disney would even consider all that effort for the two shorter races. I think this is basically a rumor that started off the internet and filtered down to cm's from people who read it on the net. Disney would be far more likely to try something completely different than it would be to shorten the race weekend to property only races, especially given all the current in park construction projects. If anything they would be more likely to try a different type of race like scavenger hunt or something where they could direct people more. but i doubt they will do even that. Since they were so eager in offering refunds at the Disneyland Half race for those who had regesterd for SW LS, i would say the best people could hope for on that front at this point would be a "Virtual" Star Wars Light Side, possibly with seperate medals for distances, if the medals were made prior to Disney deciding to cancel. And perhaps a Challenge medal if you complete some other virtual race, and the light side. But bar-ing that for myself i don't think Disney has any intention of doing the actual race, no matter how much i may want them too.

Based primarily on two reasons, the most important, the training guide for Galloway method has started as of today for the 10K. If they had intended to try to pull off the race and suddenly register everyone they would have had to do it by this date. And Disney would have, i believe. Secondly and less decisively the charity partners, they would need a vastly longer buildup to allow people to fundraise, and they would have to have been given some notice by now for any race i would guess 6 months out, and i believe that they have not been given any info. Now this is less telling to me as Disney could have simply decided to no longer support the charity bibs. But combined with the training guidelines and volunteering to give refunds. I think its a done deal.

This makes me sad, but i consider that after D23's announcements, its possible that by january:
    Paradise Pier
    Star Wars Land
    Hollywood/Marvel Land
    And the new Hotel in the Staging area parking lots for DTD

Could ALL be underconstruction at the same time. Now the races have sucessfully navigated the star wars land construction. But the other three areas are Major stops for the races. I mean where in DCA could the run really go? Cars land straight to ariel around rapids and out the entrance thats realllly short. On top of having to completely rework the prerace staging stradagies and locations. Yes it could all be done, but i think it would require a serious amount of coordination and planning and still have to stay tremendously fluid, because not only are the locations under construction but all the needed construction equipment and planning construction crew areas would be moving around and taking up alot of space, space that we are usually running through. I just don't see it as do-able.

I would LOVE to see the races happen! But i think its more reasonable for them not to, and when you consider the HUGE amount of traffic the park will have when Star wars land does open, i don't see them having any reason to accomidate even more people for a race. At least for awhile. I just hope they don't elimate them forever.

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fishgal View Post
    I agree with olegc, i don't believe Disney would even consider all that effort for the two shorter races.
    Although to be fair, runDisney does have a history of running shorter races as stand-alone events (Expedition Everest 5k and Tower of Terror 13k are two) so it's not completely out of the question.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Although to be fair, runDisney does have a history of running shorter races as stand-alone events (Expedition Everest 5k and Tower of Terror 13k are two) so it's not completely out of the question.
    But those have been abandoned, right? It doesn't fit the model of a Full weekend for full $$. And to get u to travel. I don't think there would be that many travellers for smaller races. A lot - but not close to what is currently there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Oh wow, I didn't know about those. Off to google to learn more
    Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

Quote Originally Posted by fishgal View Post
    This makes me sad, but i consider that after D23's announcements, its possible that by january:
    Paradise Pier
    Star Wars Land
    Hollywood/Marvel Land
    And the new Hotel in the Staging area parking lots for DTD

Could ALL be underconstruction at the same time. Now the races have sucessfully navigated the star wars land construction. But the other three areas are Major stops for the races. I mean where in DCA could the run really go? Cars land straight to ariel around rapids and out the entrance thats realllly short. On top of having to completely rework the prerace staging stradagies and locations. Yes it could all be done, but i think it would require a serious amount of coordination and planning and still have to stay tremendously fluid, because not only are the locations under construction but all the needed construction equipment and planning construction crew areas would be moving around and taking up alot of space, space that we are usually running through. I just don't see it as do-able.

I would LOVE to see the races happen! But i think its more reasonable for them not to, and when you consider the HUGE amount of traffic the park will have when Star wars land does open, i don't see them having any reason to accomidate even more people for a race. At least for awhile. I just hope they don't elimate them forever.
    I have thought about it for a while now and think more than anything it has to do with this. There is going to be way to much going on with construction. More so having to do with the construction of the new hotel since that is the staging area. Which I am sure they could move it to the other side of Paradise Pier Hotel but as you also mention there is the other stuff going on in the parks as well with construction. Which every time I keep reading anything on the races for next year its the same rumors being spread too. I did see the one about the 5k/10k one but it seemed like that was just one of those things read and ended up spreading like a wildfire. So many are still on the whole city being the issue but really its runDisney that is the hold up themselves. I don't get why they don't just speak up already. The lack of word on what is going on for here is just ridiculous at this point. I am with you though on it being reasonable for them not to when you do look at the big picture of everything going on the next 2 yrs or so. We have no clue how truly insane it will get once that land opens. I hope they don't take them away forever but I can see them "suspend" them for at least a couple years maybe....hopefully.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

I was thinking they might move SuperHeroes to Orlando and that would make me sad. I don't have the opportunity to travel that much. Then I recalled the licensing contracts between universal and marvel in Florida. So moving SH probably won't happen.

I sure hope they don't get rid of them. I just did my first Half Marathon (ever) and I really was hoping to do more Disney ones. I eventually wanted to do the Super Heroes challenge and get the Infinity Gauntlet!

Quote Originally Posted by buffy24 View Post
    I sure hope they don't get rid of them. I just did my first Half Marathon (ever) and I really was hoping to do more Disney ones. I eventually wanted to do the Super Heroes challenge and get the Infinity Gauntlet!
    I just got my friend to do her first one this year. She joined me for Tink and was looking forward to us doing it again next year so its a bummer. I have enjoyed the time with my one son and having that time with him. I know he has as well with me. We don't want these to stop. So hopefully it won't be the end here at all. For us we can't make the trek across the country to go to Florida for them. *fingers crossed* that if anything we just see a delay because of construction and they will bring them back once its all done.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Well this is sad...

I'm super bummed because this is the first year my daughter's winter break covers the 2018 SW LS race weekend. We've had to pull her out of school the first week back this year & last. Like everyone else I just want the official word to get some closure.

-- Cindy

Blog Entries

So I was thinking about something going back to my other note on SH at WDW. Lets say 2018 races (and maybe 2019 or longer) are no longer held at Disneyland due to whatever reason. Would runDisney possibly move a race to WDW? like Superheroes? I would think not specifically in SH case because of licensing the characters in Florida but could they come up with an alternative? my concern/question was over the Legacy status of racers. I think no one would have an answer but what do you think could happen? Stop the races and pick them up at a later date - like suspended in time? Move them? completely drop the Superhero race theme? Start over with legacy? I have worked hard to stay Legacy for this one set of races and now it may be undone (and I would think there are others who don't travel to WDW but do participate in SWLS, Tink, etc.). A lot of those ideas seem not plausible due to the other race venues' status but Im starting to think runDisney (or Disney corp) may consider Anaheim a lost cause.

Would they even not hold the Disneyland Half? is that possible? That's a lot of money, good will, and continuity to just drop and walk away from.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I don't know that they'd move a DL race to WDW simply because there really aren't that many more race weekends available. With the heat and hurricane season, there aren't a lot of open spots. Wasn't one of the reasons they did away with the Everest 5K was that it was already too hot a time of year, even for a 5K? And I don't see them replacing one of their existing races with one of DL's.

I think the biggest problem with them not having half marathons at Disneyland is doing away with all of the bi-coastal challenges - coast-to-coast, pink coast-to-coast and Kessel Run, which will REALLY hurt for a lot of people. It will also be a deterrent for those who want castle-to-chateau because now, you HAVE to do a race at WDW to get that, in addition to DL Paris.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

If they moved the 5Ks to weekends, I know more locals who would do them. They could even do a 5K and a 10K on the same day with a two day expo. I know I've gone to the expo after the 5K. The second day of the expo could be race day. But, with a shorter weekend I doubt they'd retain all of their sponsors. Then again, if you read the LA Time article in another thread, Disney could use the carrot and stick method to get the sponsors from both coasts to show up for a shorter weekend. Where I think the real problem is that they'd likely have to increase capacity, which I don't see them doing. And charities would need more capacity with the lower requirements for the shorter distances.

Blog Entries

This story (rumor) showed up on wdwnt. It's a strong wdw site in my opinion and it's an idea we have all talked about here. My thought? They will wait until after Super Heroes to make the announcement. A sort of "get out of Dodge" scenario. If they announce after the races here are done for 2017 (and the next three years) they only have to suffer the garage on social media and email - and that's easy to ignore.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/10/rumor-...eyland-resort/

I agree olegc I think they will just wait until after Super Heroes. This way they will deal with probably similar to what they had to at Marathon weekend in Sept and can just have those working it pass on a simple "expect an announcement this week (or the famous soon)." It also would help to keep from having a ton of people all of a sudden show up hoping to get a last minute spot for any of the races with it being the last for a few years and those that would want to do it just because for that reason. Thanks for posting the link. I wasn't sure if I should. It seems for the few places I have looked at on this, that we are the only ones that have talked about that being a possible reason. I read some thinking it was a lame excuse to give for not going on with them but I think some don't always look at the big picture of what will be going on construction wise next year alone to get in the way of things. As well as that maybe they tried to think of ways to work around it all but just couldn't find ones that would work. We obviously all have no clue but do all have the same hope..that it won't be gone forever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I agree olegc I read some thinking it was a lame excuse to give for not going on with them but I think some don't always look at the big picture of what will be going on construction wise next year alone....
    I had two thoughts in my head. First - would they ever bring the races back? They may decide operationally that having only WDW races will be good due to the chaos and the crowds for all the new attractions. Then the second thought I had is , no, Disney wants every single hotel room sold for every night of the year. Crowds be damned (as we have seen over the last two years) so I expect them to come back.

I just wonder what happens to legacy stuff - which I have brought up before. Hiatus? Move the race? Clear the slate? They probably won't have that answer when they announce. Consequences don't seem to be part of the planning lately.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I had two thoughts in my head. First - would they ever bring the races back? They may decide operationally that having only WDW races will be good due to the chaos and the crowds for all the new attractions. Then the second thought I had is , no, Disney wants every single hotel room sold for every night of the year. Crowds be damned (as we have seen over the last two years) so I expect them to come back.

I just wonder what happens to legacy stuff - which I have brought up before. Hiatus? Move the race? Clear the slate? They probably won't have that answer when they announce. Consequences don't seem to be part of the planning lately.

I think you aren't the only one with all those questions and thoughts. It has happened before where you hear something is on hiatus then all of a sudden its not coming back. Yet as you said they want those rooms full and the money that comes with it all. If done right ,after a few years of hiatus here, it could be a big deal with the return of the runs and be sell outs again.

I can imagine those with legacy will want to know what will go on there. I wonder how many would be upset if they did wipe the slate clean and start over. Of course then comes the question of if many would be upset if they did rethemes on a weekend or 2...I know that has been discussed in the past because of surveys sent out over the years. Yet as you said they won't have the answers to any questions beyond whatever they say on the runs for the moment now. Which is understandable with the time frame being so long.

Blog Entries

this idea just struck me on the way to work.... With the political issues with Anaheim City Council its probably created an "all hands on deck" situaiton for Disney Resort executives to figure out what to do. They want full control of the guest experience but they need parking for 2019 when SWGE is open. Without the new building you could see parking being taken away from APs and prices going way up (and even with the new building that could happen). SO - the resort itself is not focused enough to even think of a response in conjunction with runDisney about the timing and postponement. They're trying to see what their timelines would be with the major construction projects (so many of them!) to let them know when they can say runDisney will be back. of course runDisney could always say " planned return in 2019" or 2020. My thought is also they don't want to put that kind of announcement out there - they may just say postponed for 2018 and look for another announcement about 2019. They don't want people to walk away and forget about Anaheim as a running destination.

Isn't Colglazier's time up anyway? They've been rotating President's at the Disneyland Resort every 2 to 3 years. That could be playing into it as well - though that's a big stretch of speculation on my part.

Not sure about DLR President's time up or not but it could be they are just not wanting to deal with more then they have on their plate when it comes to the construction of so much and dealing with the city with those things as well. They are on a timeline to have so much done with the resort as well with the agreement they made with the city last time too. You are right that we could see a check back for info on 2019 or even 2020 and not a 2-3 yrs or whatever timeline so it is not forgotten about each year. It would keep those that are West Coast racers to check back for info so its still in their memories over time.

Force is strong in this one

This has its own thread, but I wanted to focus some positive energy out there. Instead of being bummed out that Light Side would be cancelled how about doing a Star Wars themed virtual race? The race will take place from November 15 to December 15. Starting after Super Heroes weekend, ending on the release date of Star Wars: The Last Jedi and virtually takes place in downtown LA, passing by famous Star Wars landmarks.

https://racery.com/r/la-hyperspace-marathon-and-ultra

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    This has its own thread, but I wanted to focus some positive energy out there. Instead of being bummed out that Light Side would be cancelled how about doing a Star Wars themed virtual race? The race will take place from November 15 to December 15. Starting after Super Heroes weekend, ending on the release date of Star Wars: The Last Jedi and virtually takes place in downtown LA, passing by famous Star Wars landmarks.

https://racery.com/r/la-hyperspace-marathon-and-ultra
    Awesome idea! Now we just need a virtual Kessel Run Challenge.
    RunningFool

Force is strong in this one
    Awesome idea! Now we just need a virtual Kessel Run Challenge.
    If this works well, I'm planning on something similar to replace Tinkerbell.
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!