Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma, canceled room reservation, getting refund.

Great to hear. Hope are able to get to the parks tomorrow. Let us know if you see any damage.

2. # ADS

Hurricane Irma, canceled room reservation, getting refund.

Now having breakfast at Boma buffet

Hurricane special price $15.00/pp

Some of the smaller large fronded palm plants ? had some limbs snapped as well, and only observed one other tree ? down so far

Quote Originally Posted by newhdplayer View Post
    A couple more observations.

Dinner was handled in exemplary fashion by the cast members - opened jiko and Boma combined and served all guests the buffet from Boma to all for $20.00 per person, fantastic job.

BTW, all the cast members working the "hurricane overnight shift" volunteered for the opportunity and stayed on property with the guests.

There was a downed tree after all in our Savannah area, but that was it.

The pool was full of leaves, and all the walkways have to be cleared of debris.

We're going to wander round the resort to see if we can see anything else of note to report.

All things considered,AKL weathered Irma pretty well, considering we had major issues in Orlando and Orange County (over 300,000 without power, lots of structural damage).
    Did you volunteer to help out as an honorary cast member?

Almost like an honorary cast member

I moved my own patio furniture into the room and back out after Irma passed

And we were trapped here like all the volunteering "hurricane team".

Have they given you any updates on how the animals are? I assume that everyone was moved to their indoor enclosures and will only be back on the savannas once they confirm that the perimeter fencing is secure and there are no hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Have they given you any updates on how the animals are? I assume that everyone was moved to their indoor enclosures and will only be back on the savannas once they confirm that the perimeter fencing is secure and there are no hazards.
    Haha, good point! They need to keep those ornery zebras from trampling other animals.

We did have a massive tree hit the side of the building poolside but no damage to the building as we can tell

Parking lots as full of debris and the bamboo stands are a lot thinner now

Glad everybody made it through the storm. It's a bummer to have to deal with a hurricane on your vacation, but it sounds like the cast members are keeping everybody in good spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by TulaBelle View Post
    Glad everybody made it through the storm. It's a bummer to have to deal with a hurricane on your vacation, but it sounds like the cast members are keeping everybody in good spirits.
    Cast members are awesome and keeping everyone entertained and in check, even the "foolish and selfish" vacationers

A couple more observations.

Dinner was handled in exemplary fashion by the cast members - opened jiko and Boma combined and served all guests the buffet from Boma to all for $20.00 per person, fantastic job.

BTW, all the cast members working the "hurricane overnight shift" volunteered for the opportunity and stayed on property with the guests.

There was a downed tree after all in our Savannah area, but that was it.

The pool was full of leaves, and all the walkways have to be cleared of debris.

We're going to wander round the resort to see if we can see anything else of note to report.

All things considered,AKL weathered Irma pretty well, considering we had major issues in Orlando and Orange County (over 300,000 without power, lots of structural damage).
    Glad to hear everybody is safe. Hopefully Disney does something special for those cast members volunteering their time.
    2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear everything went well. I started to worry more about the Orlando area once Irma shifted east and wasn't going to be a direct hit on Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by pixar View Post
    Glad to hear everybody is safe. Hopefully Disney does something special for those cast members volunteering their time.
    I don't think that's what he meant by "volunteered", as Disney can't really accept volunteers to work regular jobs. I presume he meant that CMs could choose to work those particular shifts as opposed to being assigned the shifts, but they would be paid shifts nonetheless. I saw a few appreciation tweets and FB posts about the CMs working. Glad they were able to help out the guests.
    Within the valley of shadowless death; they pray for thunderclouds and rain
    But to the multitude who stand in the rain; heaven is where the sun shines.

Sometimes, "be the better person" is code for "be a doormat".

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I don't think that's what he meant by "volunteered", as Disney can't really accept volunteers to work regular jobs. I presume he meant that CMs could choose to work those particular shifts as opposed to being assigned the shifts, but they would be paid shifts nonetheless. I saw a few appreciation tweets and FB posts about the CMs working. Glad they were able to help out the guests.
    I think it is still "volunteered" to the extent that Disney allowed people to opt into the shifts. I don't know if they had to assign employees if they didn't get enough willing people. Sure, they get paid, but I'm still appreciative of employees who volunteer for shifts on major holidays so that those who would rather be at home/with their families can do that instead. And some companies do provide extras to employees who volunteer to work the less than desirable shifts as a way to say thank you so while I don't know if Disney will, it is possible even as a paid employee to get an extra thank you along with the paycheck.

We took a trip to WDW 9 years and about 1 week ago (checking out 9/7). That was the only time I've paid the extra for travel insurance, because there were a lot of moving pieces for that trip including the fact that it was occurring during hurricane season. We were meeting family members who were arriving via a Panama Canal cruise. So I keep wondering what we would have done if there was a hurricane watch/warning right before our trip. And I keep coming up with the realization that as long as the cruise was on schedule to dock before the hurricane hit, we would probably have flown out as planned and prayed for the best. If they could not dock or were diverted, then there are too many different scenarios to know what we would have done for every possible contingency. Now I'm not sure if that makes me foolish or just someone who wouldn't want family to have to deal with it alone.

If I recall correctly, we were able to volunteer to be on the "hurricane ride out" crew list, even as College Program peons. Of course, that was only 25 years ago... We were only guaranteed 30 hours a week at the princely rate of $5.35/hr, so I always volunteered to extend the typical six hour shift to 8, 10, 12 hours. Especially as they paid OT for anything over 8 in a day or for the sixth day in a week you worked. If you worked a seventh day it was all double time! No idea what they do now. But it was great fun!

They did give us each two comp 1-day tickets for working on 4th of July. Never expired, but I used mine in 98.

Nick Andrews, living in the NM desert away from the Kingdom...
    DL (numerous) '74-76, '85, '91?, 12/11, 1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12,9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW College Program) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I don't think that's what he meant by "volunteered", as Disney can't really accept volunteers to work regular jobs.
    I saw a few photos posted today of day guests helping clear brush from around Resort Hotel buildings. They just jumped in and started doing it. I'm sure Disney would have had to put an end to it had it come to official notice, but as a strictly guest-driven thing it was neat to see.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Now I'm not sure if that makes me foolish or just someone who wouldn't want family to have to deal with it alone.
    There are so many variables, and it's hard to know what you'd do unless / until you were in that situation. When much of Florida is evacuating TO the central area, including Orlando, I can see why people would find it perfectly logical to go there themselves. Heck, Josh Gad publicly thanked Kristen Bell for getting his parents into a room at the Swan and Dolphin, when they had to evacuate their own home.

For me, the criteria would be, "does doing XXX place an unnecessary burden on the infrastructure of wherever I'm going?" It's hard to quantify how or if people who went to / remained in WDW caused an unnecessary burden, and people can debate it endlessly to no avail. I'm glad everyone made it safely, that there were no injuries reported on property, and that the theme parks were seemingly spared any major damage.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Article about getting refunds if you had to cancel, or if your event was cancelled
    http://people.com/human-interest/dis...your-vacation/

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

Now we're making up for lost time

Did Hollywood studios (only ToT and RnR coaster) then to AK and the must dos of river journey and flight of passage, lunch at Tiffins , cause we deserve it

Oh yeah, now would be perfect to do Pandora stuff multiple times!

Just looked, crowd level rated as a 1! SDMT posted at 38min, TSMM at 18!

Last edited by nickjandrews; 09-12-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Spelling

Flightnof passage is still at 120 minutes

Flightnof passage is still at 120 minutes
    Yuck. The Lines app said 83 when I checked it earlier. Still not great but better than 180!

We did not anyway and it turned into only 55 minutes total

We did not anyway and it turned into only 55 minutes total
    Almost tolerable for such a new attraction. I'd have been irritable if I had waited that long for the Frozen boat ride though. Or anything more than five minutes for the Barnstormer!

Well we made it thru Irma okay. No damage to any houses in my neighborhood. Just a couple of old fences down and branches, leaves etc to pick up. However we did loose power for 20 hours. And let me tell you, that's an eternity in this day and age and especially for the air conditioning.Also the sat dish was moved so no regular tv at this point. I know a lot of folks have it so much worse, so I'm not complaining. I'm just surprised because we've never lost power before. (all lines underground) Finally drove around in a small 3 mile radius to discover that all businesses have no power unless they have their own generator (grocery stores, gas station) I saw 1 Burger King open.

I will finally be able to go back to work tomorrow. I've been off a week. I would have gone out to WDW but I'm not sure about traffic lights and my car needs a new cv boot. My mechanics have no power and I think their phone line was pulled down. So I've just been at home.

I'm so happy that you folks who rode out the storm at WDW were treated so well. It's a great thing to read and put a sweet smile on my face. Thank you so very much for sharing.

GnP

That's great to hear, GnP!

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    That's great to hear, GnP!
    +1 and thanks for checking in.