Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma, canceled room reservation, getting refund.

Hurricane Irma, canceled room reservation, getting refund.

"... and then depression set it."

Well I went ahead and cancelled my 5 night stay this weekend. Irma is looking too big and could come straight up FL. (per 9/4 weather alert last night). So if this helps others, the CM on the phone said that WDW was implementing their hurricane policy and you could get a refund. I actually wanted to switch to the next weekend but they didn't have the room I wanted.

I hope this helps others,
    GnP

2. # ADS

Just wanted to add this separately. Personally, I'm fine if Irma passes by on the east or west coast. Hurricanes take all the humidity with them when they pass and the parks have only a smattering of guests. So my plan is this:
    -cancel current reservation
    -watch weather intently
    ---if Irma is not very close, remake res for this weekend. There will be plenty of vacant rooms.
    ---if Irma is headed here, remake res for the next weekend. Which means I may have to adjust dates to get the room I want, or completely rethink my resort choice.

GnP

Well, we're flying Saturday AM and staying off-property. Watching and waiting.

We had to cancel a stay in Myrtle Beach in early October 2015 due to an epic tropical storm and flooding, hopefully it doesn't happen again. That trip we had gotten to Charleston SC, and spent an entire day fruitlessly trying to get to Myrtle Beach. Gave up, and drove to NC, flew to Vegas (which is 300 miles from home) for the remainder of the week, then drove home from there. Cost me lots of change fees and one way rental charges, but was minor compared to the disaster the victims faced.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

I'm so sorry you had to go thru that. It's really hard to change, cancel and move things around.

My priority now is to get the garage straightened up so I can get 2 cars in there. But I still have my fingers crossed that Irma will drift out into the Gulf or turn very early and head to the Atlantic.

This info might help out others. My university is moving the Saturday 8pm football game to Friday at 6:30pm. It's to help those fans who are traveling in for the game from Memphis.

If you have plans to arrive at the end of this week or this weekend, I would recommend canceling them. This storm is very serious.

You can read about the Universal and Disney cancellation policies in this Orlando Sentinel article.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    If you have plans to arrive at the end of this week or this weekend, I would recommend canceling them. This storm is very serious.

You can read about the Universal and Disney cancellation policies in this Orlando Sentinel article.
    We're taking the plunge and hoping for the best

You only turn 21 once

Quote Originally Posted by newhdplayer View Post

You only turn 21 once
    We are too, but 21 is a distant memory for the wife and I (but not for our kids).
    Reluctant Runner

Best of luck to all with travel plans. Stay safe and hope the storm turns away.

You only turn 21 once
    Stan4 is quite right. This hurricane is going to be a biggy. But if you are coming down here are some tips:
    ..If you are driving it is VERY possible that Florida will evacuate certain flood areas or tell people to leave the east coast (Daytona) or west coast (Tampa). If they do, some major roads my be turned 1 way to expedite evacuations. So make sure you are aware of alternate routes. But be warned, other areas are notorious for flooding even during heavy thunderstorms (Deltona) and even though they are inland. So just get all the information you can if you need an alternate route.
    ..WDW is really really prepared for hurricanes. It's actually not a bad place to ride one out. But please bring your own supplies if you can. Pack some water, flashlight, your medicines even if it's just aspirin. Because you will be sharing resources with not only the guests that remained but the CM's and their families who are hunkering down at the resort. (I saw this first hand in 2006.)

Best of luck for your trip to be a good one!
    GnP

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post
    Stan4 is quite right. This hurricane is going to be a biggy. But if you are coming down here are some tips:
    ..If you are driving it is VERY possible that Florida will evacuate certain flood areas or tell people to leave the east coast (Daytona) or west coast (Tampa). If they do, some major roads my be turned 1 way to expedite evacuations. So make sure you are aware of alternate routes. But be warned, other areas are notorious for flooding even during heavy thunderstorms (Deltona) and even though they are inland. So just get all the information you can if you need an alternate route.
    ..WDW is really really prepared for hurricanes. It's actually not a bad place to ride one out. But please bring your own supplies if you can. Pack some water, flashlight, your medicines even if it's just aspirin. Because you will be sharing resources with not only the guests that remained but the CM's and their families who are hunkering down at the resort. (I saw this first hand in 2006.)

Best of luck for your trip to be a good one!
    GnP
    We'll be flying in tomorrow, staying at the AKL and hoping for the best.

We'll be flying in tomorrow, staying at the AKL and hoping for the best.
    Safe travels to you and anyone else still heading down!

I'm not buy any means as much an expert as Goodnplenty (not being a local, myself), but my first advice might be to try to make a trip to pick up various snack foods before you arrive @ WDW if possible.

I was at WDW on the tail end of my trip last October when Hurricane Matthew arrived. I had already been scheduled to check out, but I realized all the people in the resorts were wiping out the stocks of comfort foods from the on site shops. I was foolish enough to do a final run to the Poly gift shop before heading to my off-site Airport Hotel (which I was lucky to get an additional night since it was known the airport would be closed all day for my originally scheduled return day)and the lines in the stores at the Poly were nuts. I also didn't realize the entire area of Orlando was shutting down the same time the parks closed that day around 5PM. Therefore, my errant thought of trying to stop at a Walmart or similar store (the local 7-11 was also closed by the time I arrived) before arriving at my hotel were not going to happen. I was lucky my hotel had a small shop where they sold some frozen microwaveable foods like hot pockets and such. That was what I survived on for the 1st 2/3 of the day the storm rolled through near MCO. Luckily it was done by evening, and the local restaurants were opening up by then.

I have no idea if the whole state is already in panic mode or if it sort of happens in a wave up the coast as the storm approaches. I'd make your first task trying to stop somewhere to stock up. (obviously easier if you are renting a car - but I guess it can be attempted via Taxi/Uber if you are relying on DME from airport to resort). My impression from people that were stranded at the resorts themselves is that Disney is very well prepared with simple food (sandwiches and things like that I believe) for guests that are stranded on site.

Again, best wishes for anyone headed down. Be careful.
    -Dave

Oh my gosh, Dave is so right! Yes! Yes! I do remember that at certain hotels they had runs on food and snacks. I can remember guests complaining about the food and what they paid for it. So please bring your favorite munchies and such with you.

Also, he couldn't be more right about Orlando shutting down. Right now, 9/6, 4:06pm, a lot of universities and schools and businesses are announcing that they will be closed starting Friday all the way thru Monday. So PLAN accordingly please. Winds could pick up on Sunday into Monday. If you are flying in tomorrow, I think you will be okay. But from Friday thru Monday I have no idea what the airports, evacuations, gas supplies, what is and isn't open, could look like.

I guess I might add that even if you are not considering a car or would not normally get one, it might be worth trying to rent one even if just for a single day upon arrival to help with the shopping run.

The rest of your party could do DME, but you could grab a car, go shopping, hit the resort and then return the car to either the airport or local rental center (depending on rental company) and then Taxi or Uber it back to your resort so you don't hold on to the car unnecessarily for the whole trip if you won't be using it.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I guess I might add that even if you are not considering a car or would not normally get one, it might be worth trying to rent one even if just for a single day upon arrival to help with the shopping run.

The rest of your party could do DME, but you could grab a car, go shopping, hit the resort and then return the car to either the airport or local rental center (depending on rental company) and then Taxi or Uber it back to your resort so you don't hold on to the car unnecessarily for the whole trip if you won't be using it.
    Appreciate the advice - have a car, since i don't like the buses, bringing in our own snacks as well - we travel prepared - so we'll see what happens - either a great 21st B'day celebrations, or us sitting in our room, or a safe room, waiting for it to blow over...(so to speak)

I read an ongoing post, during Matthew, with the parks closed it took hours to get a pizza at one of the resorts for the poster. She was in the room with the kids, her husband in the line for food. At one point Disney passed out pretzels to those waiting. So heavy snacks that could be meals would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I read an ongoing post, during Matthew, with the parks closed it took hours to get a pizza at one of the resorts for the poster. She was in the room with the kids, her husband in the line for food. At one point Disney passed out pretzels to those waiting. So heavy snacks that could be meals would be good.
    I might be mistaken, but I think the parks closing during Matthew was coincident with an actual curfew announced for the entire area by police/government. (Which I had not been aware of, though I should have made an effort to be more aware during the day. I'd call it "vacation brain" after I took care of my most pressing need for a place to stay the extra night and changing my flight to the next day since the airport was scheduled to close for my original travel day - I then just tried to make the best of my last day at the parks).

When I was there till nearly when the parks closed (5 PM on Thursday, October 6 if I recall correctly), I did not at the time realize that might have lined up exactly due to a curfew. Friday October 7th was the whole day closure, I believe, though there might have been some restaurants opening at Disney Springs and/or resorts on Friday evening.

I am not 100% sure the same curfew would have applied across the whole area down near the parks, but I believe that is why everything near me up at the airport was closed by the time I made it up there.

My point relating to the long wait for pizza delivery might have very well been due to the curfew situation. Many places might have closed up for safety.
    -Dave

Looks like Irma forecast is drifting east a bit, fingers crossed. We're flying Saturday and bringing enough snack foods to be meals to last a day or two. Protein bars and tuna lunches, and plan to pick up more food at MCO. Will have a car.

Reluctant Runner

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Looks like Irma forecast is drifting east a bit, fingers crossed. We're flying Saturday and bringing enough snack foods to be meals to last a day or two. Protein bars and tuna lunches, and plan to pick up more food at MCO. Will have a car.
    Not sure if this is helpful or not, but there are lots of opportunities (most likely, less the risk of stores selling out of everything due to the storm) along the driving routes from MCO down to WDW.

Maybe I took your mention of picking up more snacks at MCO too literally, but I'd probably not make stocking up on food at the actual airport itself my 1st attempt (especially since you say you intend to bring some food with you as a start point). Many of the WalMarts down there have significant supermarket sections (and I am sure there are other things in the path down 528, I4, or 417 also).
    -Dave

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but there are lots of opportunities (most likely, less the risk of stores selling out of everything due to the storm) along the driving routes from MCO down to WDW.

Maybe I took your mention of picking up more snacks at MCO too literally, but I'd probably not make stocking up on food at the actual airport itself my 1st attempt (especially since you say you intend to bring some food with you as a start point). Many of the WalMarts down there have significant supermarket sections (and I am sure there are other things in the path down 528, I4, or 417 also).
    Somewhat familiar with the area as well, so I won't be getting snacks at MCO, but grab stuff on the way and see what develops

Maybe even a trip report, but don't hold your breath

Thanks for the tips. We're staying at HGVC Tuscany Village which has a Publix within walking distance. I should clarify that our intent was to buy a couple water bottles at MCO (I know I said food, but I wasn't clear ), and have enough food in our checked bags to last a day or two if necessary.

Reluctant Runner

Stumbled across a few links to articles or status pages for dealing with Hurricane @ WDW. Hope the links to other sites are considered OK in this instance.

DIS articles on planning for Hurricane while @ WDW:
    http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-w...-disney-world/
    http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/...line-vacation/

WDW status and FAQ on Hurricane planning/canceling trips/etc.:
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/hurricane-irma-info/
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/

DIS article with MCO specific info:
    http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/...ected-by-irma/

Also, while I couldn't find a way to link to the actual note, the MCO home page currently states the airport is cancelling flights starting on Saturday at 5 PM.
    https://www.orlandoairports.net/
    Image of the note:
    Attachment 9129

The MCO Twitter feed is probably also good for updates, though I note at this instant it didn't have the 5 PM Saturday note above reflected. (though there was an entry indicating the Governor had suspended all toll collection on within the state)
    https://twitter.com/mco?lang=en

Of specific note, the MCO material stresses that the airport is not a Hurricane Shelter Facility. It is not clear to me if that means they close down totally and "evict" people from the site before it gets so serious that it wouldn't be safe to leave, or that they are not prepared with food to feed people stuck, or if that is meant more for local FL residents telling them to not seek shelter there (or somewhere in the middle). Basically makes it sound like getting stuck at the airport is not going to be as safe or as planned for as if you make it to your WDW hotel (IMO).

Again, best wishes for safety for those on their way.

Last edited by Dave1313; 09-07-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    -Dave

I noted MousePlanet's own Alan S. Dalinka had a lot of good links in his weekly WDW update regarding sites to check for hurricane info as well.

Link to hurricane section of Weekly update.

-Dave

9/7 8:32am
    Local news says that winds will pick up around 5pm on Saturday and that everyone should be in their safe spot to ride out Irma at that time.
    Lots of stores will be closing a little earlier than that so staff can get home. If you are going to arrive here on Saturday I suggest you bring as much in supplies with you as you can and not completely count on stopping at a store. (I was at Publix last night and all the bread was gone along with other items.)

Also, I realize that when I was at WDW it was in 2004 not 2006. I re-read some posts from guests stuck at WDW during Matthew. Several were about the price of the cold sandwich meals that were sold. When I stayed in 2004, I was at the Coronado which is where they housed CM's and their families. I'm guessing that since the Coronado is more of a convention center, they had plenty of equipment, space, etc to accommodate everyone staying there, which helped my stay immensely.

Also, while I couldn't find a way to link to the actual note, the MCO home page currently states the airport is cancelling flights starting on Saturday at 5 PM.
    https://www.orlandoairports.net/
    Image of the note:
    Attachment 9129
    The 5 pm flight operation stop has been recanted per http://www.wesh.com/article/oia-to-c...-irma/12191171
    Reluctant Runner