Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Park Possibilities and Movie Shakeups

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Park Possibilities and Movie Shakeups

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Park Possibilities and Movie Shakeups by Todd King

Star Wars land gets official name and details, Han Solo movie gets a new director, and fans online get cynical

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Two recent Star Wars movies featured female leads so Disney went in a different direction from attracting 8 to 13 year old boys with their Star Wars investments. The girls got the Princess movies and Star Wars. So what's left? Marvel? I hope they don't blow it.

Galaxy's Edge is a risk in how much the original trilogy and prequels will figure in the new land. It's like saying we love America and featuring Americans in Austrialia. It's not the same thing. It's also like saying Disney wants to attract more boys to Disneyland while featuring women in their new movies and it's not Princess Leia in her bikini.

Bad Feelings for everyone, yet I will still see it.

MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo996 View Post
    Two recent Star Wars movies featured female leads so Disney went in a different direction from attracting 8 to 13 year old boys with their Star Wars investments. The girls got the Princess movies and Star Wars. So what's left? Marvel? I hope they don't blow it.

Galaxy's Edge is a risk in how much the original trilogy and prequels will figure in the new land. It's like saying we love America and featuring Americans in Austrialia. It's not the same thing. It's also like saying Disney wants to attract more boys to Disneyland while featuring women in their new movies and it's not Princess Leia in her bikini.

Having a female lead means that boys won't want to see it? That's an awful attitude to have and a really limited world view.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The thought that you have to have a Magic Band before you get pulled into the Disney magic kind of dismays me. We stay at the SoG and just use our tickets, so does that mean we and others without Magic Bands will just get to be wall flowers? Of course the Magic Bands may not play into it all.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's kind of weird thinking, I saw both movies and not once thought about what gender the lead was, just that it was Star Wars.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Having a female lead means that boys won't want to see it? That's an awful attitude to have and a really limited world view.
    Well, who said this?

***I have a responsibility to the company that I work with. I dont feel that I have a responsibility to cater in some way. I would never just seize on saying, Well, this is a franchise thats appealed primarily to men for many, many years, and therefore I owe men something.***

It doesn't sound like the audience matters even though Disney bought Star Wars with a built in audience.

(Kathleen Kennedy, the president of Lucasfilm)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't sound like the audience matters even though Disney bought Star Wars with a built in audience.
    So you don't think that built-in audience includes lots of girls and women?
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

"I've seen your daily routine. You are NOT busy."

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    So you don't think that built-in audience includes lots of girls and women?
    She knows exactly what she's saying.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    She knows exactly what she's saying.
    Um, ok. I have no idea what that means.

But, hey, if someone claims to be a Star Wars fan and decides not to have anything to do with the franchise anymore because they see two movies with lead female figures as the equivalent of the apocalypse, I'm ok with not having those people share my fandom.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

"I've seen your daily routine. You are NOT busy."

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    The thought that you have to have a Magic Band before you get pulled into the Disney magic kind of dismays me. We stay at the SoG and just use our tickets, so does that mean we and others without Magic Bands will just get to be wall flowers? Of course the Magic Bands may not play into it all.
    The Magic Bands may not play into it, but I'm just guessing here. If you're "reputation" follows you around in Galaxy's Edge, and Magic Bands have NFC tech and has some info on you, it would seem this is how Disney would do it. Maybe they will use low-tech ways and send word to Cast Members, e.g. "The one in the blue Mickey ears and red shirt crashed the Falcon" and go from there? I don't really know. I wonder if some guests would rather just "opt out" of the immersion anyway so they don't get bothered...
    ~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

I didn't expect the exchange above about the female force in Star Wars, but like I wrote, Star Wars has its critics and its cynics. Fans will argue about the finest of details of plot and stuff but now there's discussions not about minutiae, but about the very idea of a female lead character. I read arguments that SW is about heroes and their journey, about good vs. evil, so that then the idea of gender is just dismissed saying, "It's about these bigger ideas so gender doesn't matter." Yes and no. Yes, SW is about those universal ideas but gender does matter and now it matters even more in Star Wars. These stories have always portrayed archetypal ideas in the form of characters and their struggles and even the oldest mythology puts the feminine and masculine on the stage. The masculine earth nourished by the feminine rain in creation stories. Antigone tried to reason with proud Creon only for him to later understand she was in the right. Athena, goddess of wisdom and war, displayed much temperance among all the war-ready gods, usually fighting only when there was need and reason. Star Wars has tapped into these mythologies including the feminine presence but now I hope it is coming more to the forefront. Leia was inspirational to Luke and the notion of Vader's to turn her to the dark side was enough to set Luke off and nearly turn himself but managed to control himself in the end (all this while thinking about Leia). Now we have Rey and many things have happened to her and she's not sure why, and neither are we, yet. Now her character's decisions and actions will be pivotal to the fabric of the story. Luke is all but done with the Jedi, according to the Last Jedi trailer, but yet we see Rey studying and training in the Force. Instead of just being an inspiration, she may be the one that nourishes the Force, brings reason to Luke, and displays temperance when many are too ready for destruction. Already she is a force for protecting life (even that of a tiny droid) by saving Finn from TIE fighters and Rathtars, saving Han by fixing the Falcon, joining the fight at Maz's place (seeming regretful at first when she killed a Stormtrooper), even valuing her own life and escaping from Kylo Ren, and finally taking the steps herself to find Luke. These are the actions of someone who will most likely bring about accord when previous forces have struggled to do so. Not that the previous masculine forces failed, but combined with the feminine the progression to restore peace may become complete.

~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)