Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things to See in Epcot's Future World West

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things to See in Epcot's Future World West

My Disney Top 5 - Things to See in Epcot's Future World West by Chris Barry

Chris hangs a right after Spaceship Earth and explores Future World West

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Good list! Future World West is the center of Walt Disney World as far as I'm concerned. It's the area I spend the most time in on any given trip, as we spend a good deal of time inside The Land on multiple days each trip. Here's my list:

5. The Garden Grill -- this is my favorite "splurge" at WDW, as it's waaaay more expensive than it should be, but I'll pay it anyway. The food is simple but very tasty, and I love the setting of the revolving restaurant that allows you to look inside my favorite ride at WDW (more about that later).
    4. Journey Into Imagination with Figment -- a shadow of its former self, but I still love it. I love the queue, I love the ride vehicles, and I love the story it tells. Eric Idle is great fun, and Figment is just the best. Whatever they do to this attraction when makeover time arrives for Future World, I hope the retain Figment and return the Dreamfinder in some way.
    3. Sunshine Seasons -- multiple meals are eaten here on every trip to WDW. At least one breakfast, one lunch, and several snacks. It's our favorite mid-afternoon break when we're tired and want to sit for while. The food is good and the selection is pretty eclectic, and we get to sit inside my favorite pavilion!
    2. Soarin' -- one of Disney's greatest attractions. We were blown away by it when DCA opened in 2001, and we were thrilled that it opened in Florida a couple of years later. The new film doesn't quite measure up to the original, but it's still an amazing experience. It's also one we don't do unless we have a FastPass, unless we're in the park at rope drop.
    1. Living with the Land -- my favorite attraction in all of WDW. I'm not really sure why I love it so much, but it still fascinates me, even after at least a hundred trips through those greenhouses. I make everyone go on it every time we set foot in Epcot. If Disney ever announces they're closing it, I'll probably chain myself to it to prevent the bulldozers from tearing it down.

Hard to leave Turtle Talk with Crush or The Seas with Nemo & Friends ride off my list, or even the Pixar Festival of Animation, which is quite nice. I miss Captain EO, though, as that was such a huge part of Future World for me and I was beside myself with excitement when they brought it back. The new DVC Member Lounge in the glass pyramid at Imagination is also a new favorite spot, too. I really miss the old Image Works upstairs, but it's nice to be able to go up there again.

The only thing missing from this great list is a call to Disney to bring in a good 3D film. No Captain Eo. No Honey. Bring in something exciting and new. Pleeeeease.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

I haven't been to EPCOT, or Walt Disney World for that matter in almost nine years, but I was at DCA about a year ago.
    My son is Autistic, and takes things very literally. Doesn't believe in magic, to include Disney magic. After we got off of Soarin', he wasn't sure if we were on a theme park ride, or if we somehow really travelled the world. I call that a win for Disney.

Visit History: Disneyland: 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1996, & July 2016
    Walt Disney World: Aug 2003 & Aug 2008
    Tokyo Disneyland: May 90 & Feb 92
    Disneyland Paris: Nov 04

Check out my Mickey Mouse collection at Jerm's House Of Mouse

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jerm View Post
    I haven't been to EPCOT, or Walt Disney World for that matter in almost nine years, but I was at DCA about a year ago.
    My son is Autistic, and takes things very literally. Doesn't believe in magic, to include Disney magic. After we got off of Soarin', he wasn't sure if we were on a theme park ride, or if we somehow really travelled the world. I call that a win for Disney.
    Wow jerm, I thought I was jonesing for a trip to WDW and it's only been 11 months!!

That is an awesome story about your son and Soarin'. Speaks volumes!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    The only thing missing from this great list is a call to Disney to bring in a good 3D film. No Captain Eo. No Honey. Bring in something exciting and new. Pleeeeease.

I have to concur Gator. My kids were terrified of Honey I Shrunk the Audience when they were young and I only saw Eo once when they brought it back, mostly for curiosity sake. Something exciting and new would be a treat.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by davidgra View Post
    Good list! Future World West is the center of Walt Disney World as far as I'm concerned. It's the area I spend the most time in on any given trip, as we spend a good deal of time inside The Land on multiple days each trip. Here's my list:

5. The Garden Grill -- this is my favorite "splurge" at WDW, as it's waaaay more expensive than it should be, but I'll pay it anyway. The food is simple but very tasty, and I love the setting of the revolving restaurant that allows you to look inside my favorite ride at WDW (more about that later).
    4. Journey Into Imagination with Figment -- a shadow of its former self, but I still love it. I love the queue, I love the ride vehicles, and I love the story it tells. Eric Idle is great fun, and Figment is just the best. Whatever they do to this attraction when makeover time arrives for Future World, I hope the retain Figment and return the Dreamfinder in some way.
    3. Sunshine Seasons -- multiple meals are eaten here on every trip to WDW. At least one breakfast, one lunch, and several snacks. It's our favorite mid-afternoon break when we're tired and want to sit for while. The food is good and the selection is pretty eclectic, and we get to sit inside my favorite pavilion!
    2. Soarin' -- one of Disney's greatest attractions. We were blown away by it when DCA opened in 2001, and we were thrilled that it opened in Florida a couple of years later. The new film doesn't quite measure up to the original, but it's still an amazing experience. It's also one we don't do unless we have a FastPass, unless we're in the park at rope drop.
    1. Living with the Land -- my favorite attraction in all of WDW. I'm not really sure why I love it so much, but it still fascinates me, even after at least a hundred trips through those greenhouses. I make everyone go on it every time we set foot in Epcot. If Disney ever announces they're closing it, I'll probably chain myself to it to prevent the bulldozers from tearing it down.

Hard to leave Turtle Talk with Crush or The Seas with Nemo & Friends ride off my list, or even the Pixar Festival of Animation, which is quite nice. I miss Captain EO, though, as that was such a huge part of Future World for me and I was beside myself with excitement when they brought it back. The new DVC Member Lounge in the glass pyramid at Imagination is also a new favorite spot, too. I really miss the old Image Works upstairs, but it's nice to be able to go up there again.
    I did have a fantastic meal at the Garden Grill. It was just my twin boys and me. The food is great. Fun characters and the changing scenery is a plus.

Seems like we're on similar wavelengths here with the mid section of your list. I do enjoy Living With the Land. I would also hate to see it go, but I wonder, given the practically non-existent wait times, if Disney feels like it's fallen out of favor with the public.

I've got to admit when I saw the first article and you described how you were going to split FW into 3 lists, I was wondering what things you might pick aside from the obvious E-Tickets.

I'm enjoying the lists. While I don't have a particular love for Figment (probably because the first time I set foot in EPC I was nearly 40 years old ), but I don't dislike him (aside from maybe a minor complaint that too many passholder tee shirts, coins, pins, etc, always feature him - but I do understand why that is, with him being essentially the Epcot mascot).

I'll need to keep an eye out for those jumping fountains next time. I'm pretty sure I've seen them, but I don't have a vivid memory of watching them for very long.

While not interactive, I particularly like the fountain/waterfall that flows upwards right near Imagination Pavilion. (I have no idea what it's called if there is a formal name for this fountain) That to me is an imagination tweaker that says to me "how the heck did they engineer that?".

I'm in agreement with the Seas. That aquarium is incredible IMO. Considering it is just one attraction in a Disney park and not at Sea World where that sort of thing is the main focus, it's a huge effort to create something on that scale. The fact that you can enjoy a meal while view part of it is also a winner for me. (Reminder to self - try to get lunch ADR at Coral Reef next trip )

I would hope/think LWTL should be safe for a while since it shares the same pavilion with Soarin'. I don't have a perfect map of how they are laid out in my mind, but they certainly seem intertwined a bit. It would probably be a huge mess to gut LWTL without killing Soarin', Garden Grill, or Sunshine Seasons with it. I know it doesn't have "huge" lines, but are all attractions considered failures if you don't have to wait 90 minutes on standby? (I know LWTL never gets near that, but I am pretty sure I've seen it posted at more than half an hour at least once or twice)

I haven't done Garden Grill, but I like the concept of the rotating restaurant. As we all know, too many restaurants, too few vacations to fit them all in.

I would suspect the Imagination Pavilion might be more at risk with the rumored FW re-imagining. Then again, since I don't have the personal attachment to Figment, I may be underestimating how much the Imagineers may try to preserve that attraction in some form, so maybe it's relatively safe.

I'll call out my personal 5 as follows for now:

5 The fountain that flows upwards (that I don't know the name of.)
    4 Coral Reef
    3 Living With The Land
    2 The Seas (for the aquarium - ride is cool too, but the viewing areas are what earned this spot for me)
    1 Soarin'

-Dave