Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Splitsville

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Splitsville

Though Im not so into bowling lanes in the last few years I am quite interested in this new Splitsville for DtD. My only thought, upon looking at the concept art on the DPB, is that the late afternoons are going to be murder on anyone entering or hanging out in the front of the location. All that glass with the West facing face - mixed with our strong late afternoon So Cal low sunlight is going to be challenging to their environment. I hope they use good window screen film and strong A/C.
    https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...eyland-resort/

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

That was my thought as well when I saw that concept art. How will the sun affect it in there because summers in buildings with windows like that are not pleasant at all...strong a/c or not. For us its not a place we will probably visit since we don't really spend time in DTD when over there.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Probably will never go into it. If I'm at DLR the last thing I want to do is go bowling. Now HoB was an entirely different story

I'm not sure how it will survive. I would think bowling alleys make money on league play. A league there is not going to be sustainable due to parking and security. I wonder how many people would bowl while on a Disney vacation?

Of course, I could be completely wrong. I was just picturing people attempting to get their bowling balls through security (and lugging them from the parking areas).

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

I think is is mostly a casual restaurant/lounge that happens to have a few bowling lanes, not the other way around. I don't think the lanes are the primary revenue generators.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep Uncle View Post
    I think is is mostly a casual restaurant/lounge that happens to have a few bowling lanes, not the other way around. I don't think the lanes are the primary revenue generators.
    I agree here. The pitch is that it's an.entertainment venue -bar, restaurant, lounge, some bowling, etc. However, I also agree that it will have a tough time filling the joint. I would think that Anaheim guests stay shorter more often (3 or 4 days but not a week) and with lots of other options within 20 to 30 min by car it may be difficult over the long haul to keep making money. It will do better, though, than similar places in local malls (like Tustin District).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I wonder how much they are counting on locals for repeat business. Some friends have said that their tweens/teens are looking forward to having parties or get togethers there once it opens. Depending on the price point (burger and fries, equipment rental, etc.), I could see this happening for birthdays, for example. Some posters on other boards post questions about birthday options for older kids who don't really want a Mickey themed celebration. This venue might fit the bill. (How many years can you keep celebrating at ESPN Zone?)

I tried to find prices using the Orlando location as a guide. Most complaints were bowling is pricey as you are charged for the lane rental and time not per game ($20 per person for 90 minutes) At least shoe rental is included in the cost. So I guess you'll want to bowl as quickly as possible. Lanes in Orlando are not regulation (shorter and narrower) A burger with fries cost $16. So in my case if I walked in to take a look at the costs, Splitsville will be aptly named.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep Uncle View Post
    That's my take on the WDW version - that it's a pretty nice casual eatery with some games and bowling lanes thrown in.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

It's possible that the reason this type of venue was chosen is because some younger and older guests who'd rather bail on the Parks for a little while, want a place to go that isn't a shop or (pure) restaurant where you'd be expected to sit, eat, and leave to make room for other guests. Bowling makes sense because the game/venues all over the place have seen improved experiences with theming inside the venue. Bowling is a fairly democratic activity where young and old can share a game or two, and skill levels don't inhibit the fun.

Whether it will work over the long haul depends on whether, as tea4two said, repeat local business brings in birthday parties and so on. It's DD after all.

Build-a-ball party? Everyone goes home with a bowling ball!

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

If it is the same concept as Lucky Strike then it is a bar/restaurant/Bowling/Other Entertainment with reservations for sections possible. It will be pricey for Downtown Disney but so was the House of Blues and the rest of the places there.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    I wonder how much they are counting on locals for repeat business. Some friends have said that their tweens/teens are looking forward to having parties or get togethers there once it opens. Depending on the price point (burger and fries, equipment rental, etc.), I could see this happening for birthdays, for example. Some posters on other boards post questions about birthday options for older kids who don't really want a Mickey themed celebration. This venue might fit the bill. (How many years can you keep celebrating at ESPN Zone?)
    A couple of thoughts:

For tourists that have multi-day tickets, not APs, they might be in the area longer than they have entries. For example, if they arrive mid-day, they might not go to the Parks that day but want something to do - well, we could go bowling tonight and hit the parks tomorrow!

For tourists who take an off-day to go visit the beach or other local attractions that might close down in the evening - something to do in the evening.

For the off-season when the parks close earlier and there's still time to fill in the evening.

Or... in June, my husband and I went to dinner at Napa Rose with our youngest son for his 13th birthday dinner at Chef's Counter treat. My 16-y/o and his girlfriend tagged along for a date-night in DTD. 16-y/o didn't have an Annual Pass so they had to stick to DTD attractions for the evening. This would've been an option for them. Parents get a dinner out, teens go bowling.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Disney announced today that Splitsville is opening on January 29th.

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    Disney announced today that Splitsville is opening on January 29th.
    I've been advised it has been delayed a few weeks.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I've been advised it has been delayed a few weeks.
    I'm still iffy on whether or not I'm going to try it. I haven't tried any of the upscale bowling/food establishments, mostly since bowling is not my thing at all. I'm also remembering the one time I've eaten at ESPN Zone, and the food was ok, but it was just too LOUD. I'm picturing this place to be similar, though I have no idea if I'm right or wrong about that.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

I haven't been to the one in Orlando myself, but my father lives in Orlando and has eaten there several times, even though he doesn't bowl. He likes the food quite a bit and has mentioned that the layout has the restaurant portion well separated from the bowling alleys, although you can apparently have food served at a lane if you want.

My son is very into bowling (he's been in a youth league for a few years) so I'm sure we will try the one in Anaheim at least once after it opens.

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry