Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: D23 Expo: Questions, Strategies, Panels, Merchandise, Whatnot

The no filming also could just mean that D23 wants people to watch THEIR footage of it instead of competing media sites? Just a thought. Could be a no-go, but who knows.

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, Bob Chapel will be revealing the model for Star Wars Land tonight (Thursday) so no surprise for this during Parks and Resorts Session.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Well, Bob Chapel will be revealing the model for Star Wars Land tonight (Thursday) so no surprise for this during Parks and Resorts Session.

Unless they will show more ride details....

Also Channel 7 news has been facebooking live and broadcasting on the news throughout the day. And John Lasseter was interviewed and stated that the animation panel would show scenes from Wreck it Ralph 2, Incredibles 2 and Olaf's Short (i can't remember the name). He said some of the scenes weren't finished but a scene from each would be shown. So jealous of those who get to see.... i know they probably won't show up online later but one can always hope

Also that livestream tonight was awesome!!! Thanks so much for sharing it with the rest of us
    Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

Blog Entries

My post should have said Chapek. Thanks auto correct.

Yeah u r right about rides but I doubt you'd see video. Maybe stills of imagineers on computer screens testing visuals. We'll see - but since they are allowing video there (for now) I don't expect anything Earth shattering. Just announcements.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Hope everyone had a good Expo, that everyone has safe travels home, and that we all recover quickly! AVP, adk, olegc: it was so good to see you! Shortpix77: we saw you inside on Friday morning as you walked by the pre-entrance line (didn't even recognize you!), then saw you this morning as you walked past us toward the metal detectors (go, Kuzco!).

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Hope everyone had a good Expo, that everyone has safe travels home, and that we all recover quickly! AVP, adk, olegc: it was so good to see you! Shortpix77: we saw you inside on Friday morning as you walked by the pre-entrance line (didn't even recognize you!), then saw you this morning as you walked past us toward the metal detectors (go, Kuzco!).
    Dah, sorry I didn't see you!! Would have loved to say hi :-) Missed seeing Oleg too, and I always end up running into him!

Was great to see AVP and ADK :-)

Blog Entries

I heard someone make an interesting comment while waiting for Menken's 2nd show. "At Comic-Con you can never get into a panel but shopping is easy. The exact opposite is true for D23 - except the big announcement events". Yeah, I'd say that's right. I enjoyed what I participated in, the Galaxy's Edge model is amazing (as tea4two told me - why is it not in Blue Sky Cellar). the Voices Panel, Din Hahn's Yesterday' Tomorrow, the Menken Concert, and the Marc Davis goes to WED were highly memorable (you will want to buy the latter two books when they come out). The Pirates 50th panel was good - I know some people booed when they talked about the auction change but then there were a lot of chuckles. To me - the booking was mostly tongue in cheek - though other media bloggers felt it was uncalled for. What are you going to do - it's a mixed audience. Some of the booths were great - but the giveaways and signings were crazy. Pixar's signing for Incredibles 2 I considered dangerous. The Marvel booth had a great location but was definitely too small and crowds were tight. As is said sometimes - there is no such thing as personal space at a con.

I did not attend any of the large announcement panels. Yeah - I missed out on some cool freebies like the Coco poster, etc, but I got to do other things. And there's a lot of video out there even though it was not allowed. My Coco art signed by Lee Unkrich and others was well worth the wait. I was Be to get some Up art with Pete Doctor's sig. That was great too.

For the Pixar booth they offered tickets given out at a location nearby - but then Sunday for Michael Giacchino that changed (all the way to SW model). The thing I felt was wrong was the inconsistency in information. You could ask three people in a booth about what to do and get three different answers. That was tough. Used up 2 hours on Sunday standing for something I wanted based on bad info.

Shopping was, well, shopping. The longer you waited in the day, the lines became impossible. There was even a crash at the Dream Store and some chaos ensued. Lots of stuff sold out before Sunday morning but there was still a lot of other merch left. The Disney Store and the MOG Pin Store were the craziest. I never even tried those.

THE archives exhibit for Pirates 50th was crazy comprehensive. Pretty much anything Pirate related that Walt, and the Disney company, has done. Alice comedies, Mickey cartoons, attractions, Jake and the Neverland pirates, and the film's.

Some lines for free things were long - the Duck Takes vault and the Coffee Art were super long based on what was being offered. And if you were not in the know about giveaways then forget it.

If I had suggestions ( besides more room) is to make things consistent mas far as info and policies. I know it's different per booth - but let's coordinate. I also wish there could be some method of pre-order for basic items from the Con. And finally, please get Security to stop going TSA on everyone and not coordinating with the D23 and booth staff. So often they were berating people to move when booth personnel were telling people to stay.

One of the best things? Seeing faces I have not seen in a while. My friend Art was Manning the Disney Combine (and I had to tell him who Kevin Feige was), Got to spend some time with Mr. and Mrs. T (thanks), AVP, ADK, David Koenig, and met some new folks too. Alas - Shortpix77 was only a photo memory :-).

Starting to save for 2019. Ugh ;-).

I heard someone make an interesting comment while waiting for Menken's 2nd show. "At Comic-Con you can never get into a panel but shopping is easy. The exact opposite is true for D23 - except the big announcement events".
    Those people obviously haven't tried to get Funko Pops.... some of the shopping is easy, but some of it is freaking impossible.

If I had suggestions ( besides more room) is to make things consistent mas far as info and policies. I know it's different per booth - but let's coordinate. I also wish there could be some method of pre-order for basic items from the Con. And finally, please get Security to stop going TSA on everyone and not coordinating with the D23 and booth staff. So often they were berating people to move when booth personnel were telling people to stay.
    ALL OF THIS. I wrote basically this same critique in the survey that D23 sent out. Who knows if they listen to that feedback though :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    Those people obviously haven't tried to get Funko Pops.... some of the shopping is easy, but some of it is freaking impossible.
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    ALL OF THIS. I wrote basically this same critique in the survey that D23 sent out. Who knows if they listen to that feedback though :-/
    I got so tired of hearing the TSA-wannabees mouth off, "D23 isn't MY boss!" (so DO whatever I tell you!), then the D23 people lamenting (yeah, right...), "Well, there's nothing we can do about the union." C'mon, people -- get it together for once. How many Expos does it take to get the communication going?

Off to fill out the survey -- thanks for the reminder!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I heard someone make an interesting comment while waiting for Menken's 2nd show. "At Comic-Con you can never get into a panel but shopping is easy. The exact opposite is true for D23 - except the big announcement events".

I enjoyed what I participated in, the Galaxy's Edge model is amazing (as tea4two told me - why is it not in Blue Sky Cellar).

The Marvel booth had a great location but was definitely too small and crowds were tight.

Shopping was, well, shopping. The longer you waited in the day, the lines became impossible. There was even a crash at the Dream Store and some chaos ensued.

Well, for ComiCon, from what I hear, the problem with the panels is that they don't clear them out after each panel, so people sit through panels all day that they don't actually want to go to and they're disrespectful by not being quiet during those panels, and they take up seats in panels that other people who actually want to see the panel end up getting shut out of. I'm glad that Expo (and Celebration) clear after every panel.

The only panels I did were Animated Film, Live Action Film and Parks & Resorts. Those were what were important to me. The only other panel I would have wanted to do was the Marvel Q & A, but it was right before the Animation panel, so I knew that wouldn't work. I walked through all of the major exhibits on the floor except the Pirates one. I didn't end up having time to see Galaxy's Edge until Sunday morning, and since we went there first thing, there wasn't much of a line when we got there, but it had grown quite a bit by the time we left.

As for the Galaxy's Edge model, I don't think that would fit in Blue Sky Cellar, at least not being able to have the model and have any room for people to really see it. And, I'd expect they would want to debut it at Expo first, so with 2 years to go, they still have time to put it in Blue Sky Cellar if they want to. They must be able to break it up into smaller pieces, so maybe they can show one or two pieces at a time for a couple months in rotation at Blue Sky Cellar.

The Marvel booth ended up being very disruptive for Center Stage. I saw Billy Hill & the Hillbillies there as well as Susan Egan, and the yells coming from the Marvel booth were overwhelming when trying to hear the performers.

We usually end up spending a lot of time waiting to get into Mickey's of Glendale and the Dream Store, but this time, it worked out pretty well. Since we weren't doing the Legends panel on Friday morning, and we were in line pretty early, we were in the early groups to be let in. I headed for the M of G stand-by line while the husband went to get in line for a StorePass. Turns out most people in the StorePass line were trying to get a shopping pass for M of G, so he was able to get us Dream Store passes pretty easily. He then came back to join me in the M of G line, and we got in pretty quickly. We were actually in the Dream Store when the crash happened around 11:15am. One of the temp walls fell, and we presume it was a combination of it not being anchored well even though there was heavy merchandise on it (I heard the sound of breaking ceramic when it fell, so we think there were mugs on that shelf) and someone leaning on it from the other side. We saw one woman eventually with an ice pack on her head, but she didn't look seriously hurt, so we were glad for that. They eventually ushered everyone out, presumably to check on the other pieces of wall to make sure they were secure. When we happened to walk past later in the day, we noticed they had stanchions around the entire thing so that you wouldn't be able to lean up against the walls. Because we hadn't gotten all of our shopping done before they ushered us out, and we couldn't wait for it to re-open, we ended up going back later in the day, and it was probably only about a 20 minute wait.

We never went up to the second or third floor for anything. We walked by some of the booths with hot items but weren't that interested so never got in line. I picked up a few things at the Hallmark booth, but I wasn't interested in the exclusives this time, so that wasn't a problem. We could probably have either gotten a StorePass or gotten in relatively early to the Disney Store on Sunday morning, but we decided we didn't want anything from there. There seemed to be a lot of other giveaways in booths, but we weren't interested enough to plan our time for them.

The major fiasco that we encountered was trying to line up for the Animation panel. There were almost no CMs handling the line to get to the queue area, and people were just allowed to do whatever they wanted. We weren't sure if we were going to make it in, but we hung out long enough to see what was going on. When we actually got in line (because everyone else just seemed to be lining up on their own), we weren't even sure we'd get into the panel, but eventually, they told us we were going to make it in. By Saturday morning, the normal controls for the lines were back in place. In talking to a couple people about the Animation line, the management wasn't even sure what happened to cause the problem, and it's my understanding that there was an emergency meeting Friday night to sort everything out.

All in all, I enjoyed myself, and I got out of Expo what I wanted. Two years to wait for the next one.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

I had heard from someone else who attended Animation that a door was left open from exiting legends and people were walking in that way. I could not corroborate that but it's what I heard - hall D23 had lots of people before the real line went in.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I had heard from someone else who attended Animation that a door was left open from exiting legends and people were walking in that way. I could not corroborate that but it's what I heard - hall D23 had lots of people before the real line went in.
    Hmmm, that seems odd since Legends let out hours before they'd have allowed anyone in for the Animation panel.

The version I heard from someone I was in line with at the Live Action panel line was a little different. There were people lining up for the Animation panel but the official line hadn't been completely established yet. The people exiting from the Legends panel came out directly into the existing line and just joined it, effectively cutting in front of the many people who had already been in line. This all happened before I got to the line. When we got there, it was just a mess, no CMs around, and while they did have the blue barrier up, there was NO ONE guarding it, so people were just walking under it, and when parts of it would fall down, people just walked over it. There wasn't even a semblance of a line, just a mob. I actually ran into a friend right before we took the escalator down, and she'd encountered a CM who was telling everyone it was full, so she left. She ended up missing out on the panel because of that.

It seems that for some of the people who missed out on the Animation panel, and as a make-good, they gave them the opportunity to attend either the Live Action panel or the parks & resorts panel, and they were also given a one-day ticket to the park.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I was so excited that they gave reserved viewing for one of the Saturday / Sunday soft-open showings of Fantasmic to those attending the parks & resorts panel! We ended up getting front and center, our normal spot from years ago. That was definitely a bonus, even though we already had plans to see the show on Monday.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

I've been watching the Christian Milan post d23 videos. It's definitely watching the Sorcerer's group experience. Reserved seating, first in line for most things. His comment about the craziness and rushing in the Disney store (while being the 3rd person in the store) , then seeing him in a forward row for Legends next is laughable. Not many have that experience. Glad he has the means.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I've been watching the Christian Milan post d23 videos. It's definitely watching the Sorcerer's group experience. Reserved seating, first in line for most things. His comment about the craziness and rushing in the Disney store (while being the 3rd person in the store) , then seeing him in a forward row for Legends next is laughable. Not many have that experience. Glad he has the means.
    It's not even just having the means. It's being lucky enough to get one of the spots. As I recall, there are very few Sorcerer spots available, so it's not just a matter of being able to afford it.

I did laugh in that in at least one of the panels I attended, one of the on-stage guests came out and said hi to various parts of the humongous audience and also said a special hello to the Sorcerers up front.