Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: How's Your Training Going? v5

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How's Your Training Going? v5

I thought I would start a new version of the thread. Since there is not a lot of signup activity going on (thanks RunDisney) maybe we can talk about training. With the more crazy weather (lots of rain and cold just a month ago, and record heat in the southwest now) we can share our updates.

Me? I joined a Galloway group in Long Beach as well as signed up for additional coaching and training run by the group leader (its on a website called Final Surge). Last year I could not train a lot and either missed races or scaled down. I was determined to get back so I signed up. I changed my intervals to 30:30 and have been training since March. The group started in May. The training includes step drills and acceleration (which is new to me) and hills on a couple of weekends. So far its been good - but the hills this past Saturday have me still sore today on Monday. Still dealing with PF on my left foot - but a lot less than last year. I do have an issue with my ability to get air - I've had chest problems since May that required some meds - and its much better but still in need of care. I also added some apps to my set that have me doing squats, sit ups, and push ups in progressions. Doing this on the off days of my runs and walks. This is how Im at least starting to introduce some cross-strength training into my mix - not much but its a start. Getting ready for the Tiki 10K in august, Dland 10K in September, and Avengers Challenge in November.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Thanks for starting a new thread!

I'm still trying to run 3 days a week with one run being greater than 10K. I'm doing cross/strength training 3x per week (I'm leading a group exercise class).

I set a PR in the Laguna Hills half marathon on Memorial day. Training for Disneyland half Labor day.

This weekend probably the 10K at the beach - the pirate themed run.
    Future: Red Rock Canyon half marathon 2/24/2018, maybe 10K or half for Avengers this year.

Good news: nothing hurts!

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

You two inspire me. We are just looking to walk and maybe jog a little bit for our marathon. We have been walking several days a week since early February. I have lost 18 pounds (and changed my eating habits), with more to go, but my main goal is to finish the Disneyland Half Marathon without being swept. I'll be doing it with my husband and son (age 15). It is the first Half Marathon for me and my son. My husband has done one other (he is in pretty good shape). We did a 10K in April and my pace was about a 17.8 minute mile (with two bathroom stops) on a very steep hilled course. I need to get more on the timing of it all. We did an 8 mile walk this weekend. We had hoped to do 10, but the area thunderstorms put the kibosh on that. Thanks for starting this thread!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buffy24 View Post
    You two inspire me. We are just looking to walk and maybe jog a little bit for our marathon. We have been walking several days a week since early February. I have lost 18 pounds (and changed my eating habits), with more to go, but my main goal is to finish the Disneyland Half Marathon without being swept. I'll be doing it with my husband and son (age 15). It is the first Half Marathon for me and my son. My husband has done one other (he is in pretty good shape). We did a 10K in April and my pace was about a 17.8 minute mile (with two bathroom stops) on a very steep hilled course. I need to get more on the timing of it all. We did an 8 mile walk this weekend. We had hoped to do 10, but the area thunderstorms put the kibosh on that. Thanks for starting this thread!
    You inspire me - all the work I do I cant lose the weight as well. You have done it - and have a great goal. Keep it up!
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Thanks, olegc! I have a lot more to go (about 50 pounds) but I am determined to do it slow and steady so I can keep it off. It is so hard to be patient sometimes!

One drawback to training: I have to buy shoes way too often!

I think ASICS has changed the rubber compound on the soles of their shoes. The uppers of my last 3 pair of ASICS are nearly perfect, but the tread area is worn down to the white foam portion of the sole. I've noticed this with the GT-200 and Kayano's, and it seems to shorten the life of the shoe by about 6-7 weeks (for my wear pattern anyway).

Reluctant Runner

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Training has been non-existent since taking a hard fall at RnR San Diego 5k (right before the finish - nothing like having witnesses to your stupidity). Tore up knee (as well as a favorite pair of running capri), sprained wrist, hit head (no concussion but sent glasses flying).

So far have missed RnR San Diego Half, Helvetia 10k, and RnR Seattle 5k and Half to heal. Hopefully back on the roads by 4th of July.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries

Wow! Get well soon!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ouch, get well soon!

I fell recently at RR Sports Adventure run but only injured my pride and skinned my knee.

Reluctant Runner

Sorry to hear about your fall, that sounds terrible. I hope everything heals up well for you, glad there was no concussion.

Ugh, I miss training something awful. I did great in the Star Wars 10k in January but then shortly thereafter suffered second degree burns on my foot. Which is still healing. So I haven't been able to do anything in that time. I am hoping to start walking soon. But it's really hard to think how far I am from where I was
    The good news is I wasn't signed up for any races so at least I didn't loose any money on bibs I couldn't use

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Training has been non-existent since taking a hard fall at RnR San Diego 5k (right before the finish - nothing like having witnesses to your stupidity). Tore up knee (as well as a favorite pair of running capri), sprained wrist, hit head (no concussion but sent glasses flying).
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you're feeling better.

For various reasons, I'm taking a break from training and races. My next scheduled half marathon is Avengers in November.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

For this year I had joined a Galloway runDisney group - mainly to try and be more diligent at training and get faster and stronger. Its been a great experience - but mainly from the ability to talk with people on the Saturday long runs. The groups do different intervals and paces for those intervals. You don't even notice the miles go by as much. Unfortunately the group ended yesterday with the culmination of the LB Half and Full Marathons. Now I have to figure out my own follow on training leading up to Super Heroes (I did not run the LB Half). However, I am able to determine, backtracking from race day, how to align long runs, short runs, and training.

The nice thing here too is I had coaching, was able to get an add on for online training calendar and comments from coaches. The training also incorporated hills and cadence drills - which the basic training programs from runDisney did not have but Galloway's books did. for me - as some of you know I PR'ed the DL Half at 1:28+and a 14min pace.Right now with my training its predicting I will finish the Super Heroes half at 3:15. Well, that's not considering that I am running the 10K the day before, but still 2 years ago I finished in 4 hours and now to shave that much off is amazing. This past weekend I walked all day and night at the resort for Friday and Saturday, and ran almost 7 miles on Sunday. Something I could not do earlier.

All this to say that for me joining a group and getting some coaching was a big step in the right direction (I'm also down to 244 pounds, when I was 260 2 years ago and 256 in March). If you want to enjoy running a bit more, are somewhat a beginner, and looking to improve I would recommend finding a group somewhere near you and see if its something you'd like to join. Mine is in Long Beach so kind of far to drive from Irvine but I made the commitment. I realize its not for everyone - but for me it has worked to keep me improving.

olegc, good for you on the weight loss!!! Glad that helped you out. I know that I could feel a difference in doing the 5k with my friend compared to walking it alone like I have usually because my son runs and is always first corral. It made it go by a lot quicker though when I had my friend with me.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

We just started back walking this week. Have taken a hiatus from doing so since the Disneyland Half in September. We are hoping to do a 10K sometime before the end of December, just need to find one in the Midwest that fits into our schedule, or more accurately, our son's schedule. I happy to say I have lost 28 pounds now, though another 40 to go. Every bit helps though. I was pleasantly surprised (and encouraged) to be able to finish the Disneyland Half, even jogging in parts of it. I was determined to finish, but I still wasn't sure if I could. I guess I have an athlete hiding somewhere in this body after all! Looking forward to the next adventure

Venture outside your comfort zone. The rewards are worth it. ~ Rapunzel

How's everyones training going? I'm missing the DLR races, and the activity they used to generate here on the forum. Sigh. I finished a 6.5 miler this past weekend (last long run before my next race) and did alot better than i thought i did, so i am feeling really encouraged. been a tough couple of months with poor air quality around here making it difficult to keep up with training.

Hope everyones runs are going well

Agreed, the lack of races at DL kind of squashes some of my motivation. I've been running in some of the local trail races - a 7 miler yesterday. The start was brutal at 36 degrees, but it warmed up to 56 or so before the finish.

I'm still cross training 3 times per week and running on the weekends. This is the most difficult time of year for me to run because I hate running in the dark and it's too dark before and after work to run (so that leaves 2 days a week to run).

Reluctant Runner

Blog Entries

I must be the Schleprock of Team Mouseplanet. Early December I had a significant back injury. It felt like BOTH piriformis muscles (or SI joints) were shot and I was spasming all the time. Its now almost 2 months later and I still am having issues though no spasms just pain now and then. Chiropractic has not helped much - and to boot I went and had an xray which showed zero disk space between L1 and L2, with L1 tilting causing my spine to compensate and bend back the other way. NICE! I have a wonderful future to look forward to. The good thing is Dr. did not say stop running. I have been reffing High School Soccer two or three times a week and have got back to my Saturday runs with the Galloway group. I planned on doing Surf City half (but will do it virtually - no time limit) and then will try and focus on OC Half. PT and maybe an MRI are in store for me. For now I run, and ref, with an SI belt wrapped around my hips. It helps to stabilize.

I feel the same about the lack of motivation due to no Disney runs locally. Its not in my budget to travel to Florida - and I used to run three times a week because I had some goals to hit a Disney race. Its been harder to change the motivation. Maybe some extra 5Ks (tustin hangar, Northwood, and others) might get me back in.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

For the most part, I'm on a race hiatus, at least as far as half marathons go, so I'm also not training. I expect to do the Race on the Base 5K next month, and then the Derby Day 5K and maybe the Run to Remember 10K in April. I'm still unsure whether I'm doing rock n' roll San Diego half in June.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Wow, i just got back from the Mermaid San Diego 10k and I PR'd by about 20 minutes!! I was in shock, i figured something was wrong with their clock, checked with my watch and nope it was a crazy-daisy amazing run for me. Happy Dance! Hope everyone one elses runs are going well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fishgal View Post
    Wow, i just got back from the Mermaid San Diego 10k and I PR'd by about 20 minutes!! I was in shock, i figured something was wrong with their clock, checked with my watch and nope it was a crazy-daisy amazing run for me. Happy Dance! Hope everyone one elses runs are going well.
    So cool!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

20 minutes on a 10K is huge, well done!

This time of year is the hardest for me to train as I don't run in the dark.
    Reluctant Runner

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Wow, i just got back from the Mermaid San Diego 10k and I PR'd by about 20 minutes!! I was in shock, i figured something was wrong with their clock, checked with my watch and nope it was a crazy-daisy amazing run for me. Happy Dance!
    Congratulations! Great job!