Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018 SW Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2018 SW Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend

Get set for a galactic adventure on the dark side of the Force during a weekend of out-of-this- world runs and fantastic fun during Star Wars Half Marathon The Dark Side at the Walt Disney World Resort. Captain Phasma, the Dark Enforcer Kylo Ren and the First Order's stormtroopers have plenty of excitement waiting for you, including non-stop thrills on spectacular courses packed with plenty of Star Wars excitement, Disney entertainment and lots of surprises.

It's a Star Wars weekend you won't be able to resist with runs for Star Wars fans of every age, including the Star Wars Half Marathon The Dark Side, Star Wars Dark Side Challenge, Star Wars 10K, Star Wars 5K and the runDisney Kids Races. Register starting May 23, 2017 and be a part of the excitement during Star Wars Half Marathon The Dark Side, April 19-22, 2018. Choose your alliance run for the light or run for the dark. And may the Force be with you!

Test the power of the Force in the ultimate challenge!

Sith Lord Darth Vader's grandson, Kylo Ren, is throwing down a challenge of galactic proportions. Put the Force to work for you in this amazing test of strength and endurance that combines the Star Wars 10K on Saturday with the Star Wars Half Marathon The Dark Side on Sunday. Join the dark side and get set for an amazing two-day, 19.3-mile run. Runners who finish both races are awarded the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge Finisher Medal in addition to the Half Marathon and 10K Finisher Medals.

Entry Fees and Deadlines*

Star Wars Half Marathon The Dark Side

$185
    Star Wars Dark Side Challenge

$330
    Star Wars 10K

$120
    Star Wars 5K

$80
    runDisney Kids Races presented by GoGo squeeZ Applesauce on the Go

Dashes - $20
    Mile - $30
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow. Announcing 2018 Dark when 2018 Light is not even selling yet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Wow. Announcing 2018 Dark when 2018 Light is not even selling yet.

Yup. The runDisney machine continues to move on.
    RunningFool

Still watching my email for the post-event registration link.

I'm in for the challenge again!

Blog Entries

Just a quick reminder that early AP/DVC registration for the 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend opens TOMORROW Thursday May 19th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

And yes, it's opening before Light Side which is still TBD...

General registration opens Tuesday May 23rd @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific/ 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I'm in for the challenge again!
    Schweet! In for the Challenge again as well. And the 5k. Addictive hummers...
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Early AP/ DVC registration for the 2018 Star Wars Dark Side is now OPEN.

Will be interesting to see if the churn regarding Star Wars Light Side registration (still a TBD) could have an impact on Dark Side.

RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Early AP/ DVC registration for the 2018 Star Wars Dark Side is now OPEN.

Will be interesting to see if the churn regarding Star Wars Light Side registration (still a TBD) could have an impact on Dark Side.
    Is there a remote chance that they would not have light side and focus on dark side only?

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Is there a remote chance that they would not have light side and focus on dark side only?
    Then they'd owe me (and a few other people) a full refund since I'm already registered for the 5K and challenge in January 2018, not to mention the number of people who would be upset because there would no longer be a Kessel Run Challenge.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Then they'd owe me (and a few other people) a full refund since I'm already registered for the 5K and challenge in January 2018, not to mention the number of people who would be upset because there would no longer be a Kessel Run Challenge.
    Yup - which I think is highly unlikely they'd cancel - but it's so late that so.e others I would think would sign up for other runs. I wonder if they had a large pre-buy that they decided they can wait to make any decisions.

And finally - I wouldn't out it past Disney to give u a credit instead of a refund. This way there is no cash outlay.

I mean, we are currently no later than when registration opened last year. The earlier registration schedule only began with registration for DLHM 2017 in December. Last year, SWLS registration wasn't until early to mid-June. Although it sounds like registration is tied up because of bureaucratic delays, I wonder what effect the much earlier registration had on numbers.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Yup - which I think is highly unlikely they'd cancel - but it's so late that so.e others I would think would sign up for other runs.
    It's not that late. The January race is 8 months away. Disney opens registration early and they get slammed for being open too early. They don't open early and they get slammed for not being open soon enough. Sometimes, people are going to complain no matter what.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    It's not that late. The January race is 8 months away. Disney opens registration early and they get slammed for being open too early. They don't open early and they get slammed for not being open soon enough. Sometimes, people are going to complain no matter what.
    True but it's unusual for them to post registration dates (and pre-register heaven knows how many), say 'just kidding' and not open registration and then go radio silent on status.

Communication from runDisney is highly over-rated.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

As of Friday morning at 6:55 a.m. Pacific, all SW Dark Side races remain open in early AP/DVC registration.

As of Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m. Pacific, all SW Dark Side races continue open in early AP/DVC registration. Remember, early is open until 5:00 p.m. Pacific / 8:00 p.m. Eastern on Monday night when it then closes prior to general reg opening Tuesday morning.

runDisney was still selling spots at the 2017 expo for this year's race; I will bet that the hold on Light Side is impacting sign-ups as the Kessel Run Challenge is now an unknown. I've also seen a lot of posts saying late April is just to hot to run in WDW (no kidding - the start of the half was 70 degrees / 90% humidity at 5:30 a.m.). Will be interesting to see how general registration goes.

Last edited by RunningFool; 05-21-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

For those looking for that last merchandise fix apparently the Shop Disney Parks app is loaded with leftovers.

Blog Entries

General registration opened this morning at 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern for 2018 SW Dark Side. As of 12:25 p.m. Pacific, all events are still open. No holds. Without the counter we can't be sure of where they may be as far as percentage sold but it's opening really, really slow...

RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    I will bet that the hold on Light Side is impacting sign-ups as the Kessel Run Challenge is now an unknown.
    I think you're right on that.

Blog Entries
    I think you're right on that.
    I've noticed in the online FAQs that they only show Coast-to-Coast medals including Kessel thru 2017 so could just be they haven't yet updated their site to reflect 2018 races. Or who knows with runDisney.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

And the first race of the 2018 SW Dark Side has SOLD OUT. Registration for the 10k is now closed.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

And we had a sneaky little name change. According to the runDisney site, the Dark Side Challenge is now officially the First Order Challenge.

RunningFool

Can't wait to go back and complete my training. Hope they have a few Rogue One and Last Jedi characters to meet and take photos

Well, despite no sign of life from the 2018 Star Wars Light Side event, my wife and I took the plunge on the 2018 Dark Side in WDW. My first WDW RunDisney event isn't until this November, but I've heard enough good things about the WDW races that I'm sure this one will be fun as well. Heck, we even got a spot in the 5k, which we never do here in California (means an extra day off of work to do the 5k). But if we're already traveling across country, why not add in a 5k to the challenge?

kevin

Kevin -

I think you'll love the Dark Side race - I'm just a novice runner but an avid SW fan since 1977 and this race is sooooo much fun! Hope (and am near certain) that you'll enjoy the race as much as I have the past couple years

Rob

Cool. The 2017 SW Light Side was my first Star Wars Disney run after running the others here in California. It was a fun race and they had a bunch of local Cosplayers out on the half-marathon course (off property).

I'm definitely excited to see the other Half*.

kevin

*even if it looks like I was a year too late for a Kessel Run.