Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney Paris

Disney Paris

On August 10th, I and two friends will be spending the day at Disney Paris. What are the not to be missed attractions? Any fun food items to try? Any attractions not to try? Two of us know DLR quite well and I have been to WDW multiple times. Thanks for any tips.

2. # ADS

Be sure to do Pirates, Phantom Manor, and Big Thunder.

I didn't like their Space Mountain. I know they are working on some improvements to smooth out the ride, but when I did it several years ago I felt like someone boxed me about the head and ears.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Are you just going to be at Disneyland Paris or Walt Disney Studios as well?

Same comment about Space Mountain. Slamming my head against the head rests made me sick for a few hours afterward.

My favorite rides there were Storybook and it's a small world. So many more things than we have at DL on those rides. Oh, and their Casey Jr. goes MUCH faster than ours. It was a lot of fun.

The Armageddon attraction was amusing to me in that they did stuff with fire that would NEVER be allowed at DL, and probably not even at WDW.

Loved Phantom Manor. Try to ride it at least once in the evening when your eyes are already accustomed to dimmer light so that you can see more of the details inside.

Make sure to go look at the dragon underneath the castle. Again, it's better to do when it's not bright daylight out so your eyes can adjust to the dimmer light and be able to see better.

Alice's Curious Labyrinth maze is pretty fun to wander around in.

The Ratatouille ride at Walt Disney Studios is really cool. A bit much to handle, though, if you have nausea issues.

With few exceptions, the food in general is disappointing. Not a lot of choices, and the quality is ok at best. And one thing to get used to there is that they don't provide free refills.

I really enjoyed eating at Toad Hall. Good food, great decor.

Cowboy Cookout had really good BBQ. One of the hidden gems places to eat.

Bistrot Chez Remy at Walt Disney Studios was amazing, great food, amazing decor.

I think some of the entertainment might have changed since we were there last September, but I loved their fireworks/nighttime spectacular, called Disney Dreams. I also really enjoyed their stage show called Mickey and the Magician at Walt Disney Studios.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Be sure to do Pirates, Phantom Manor, and Big Thunder.

I didn't like their Space Mountain. I know they are working on some improvements to smooth out the ride, but when I did it several years ago I felt like someone boxed me about the head and ears.
    See - and I think that Space Mountain is probably my favorite. Though that has a lot to do with the innards of the ride rather than the jerkiness. Make sure to check out the dungeon under the castle.

Are you doing just Disneyland Paris or will you try to get to both parks? The Ratatouille ride is really unique but in the other park.

We are going to tour both parks in one day, so I am really trying to pick out the highlights.

One of my friends going is not a coaster fan, so I appreciate the comments regarding Space. One ride would likely finish her for the day. I like coasters. Is there a must do coaster at either park?

I am curious as to the Small World recommendations. I have seen it mentioned on other sites too. Is it very different from DLR? I was not a fan of the WDW Small World.

One of my travel buddies is a huge Stitch fan and wants to see Stitch Live. Did you see Stitch at any character meet n greets at either park.

Thank you for your comments. Super helpful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    With few exceptions, the food in general is disappointing. Not a lot of choices, and the quality is ok at best. And one thing to get used to there is that they don't provide free refills.

I really enjoyed eating at Toad Hall. Good food, great decor.

Cowboy Cookout had really good BBQ. One of the hidden gems places to eat.

Bistrot Chez Remy at Walt Disney Studios was amazing, great food, amazing decor.
    I think I read Cowboy Cookout is counter service. Is Toad Hall? I am assuming Bistrot Chez Remy is sit down. I appreciate the comments regarding food. I keep reading about long lines and unenthusiastic meal reviews.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebT View Post
    Is there a must do coaster at either park?
    I hear Big Thunder is pretty cool there. It was down when we were there, so we were disappointed that we didn't get a chance to ride it.

I am curious as to the Small World recommendations. I have seen it mentioned on other sites too. Is it very different from DLR? I was not a fan of the WDW Small World.
    Small World at WDW is much smaller than at DL. The DL Paris version has a big facade and entrance like at DL. I don't know that it's bigger inside, but there is much more stuffed into it. They have a lot of landmarks that the DL one doesn't.

I think I read Cowboy Cookout is counter service. Is Toad Hall? I am assuming Bistrot Chez Remy is sit down. I appreciate the comments regarding food. I keep reading about long lines and unenthusiastic meal reviews.
    Yes, both Cowboy Cookout and Toad Hall are counter service, and Bistrot Chez Remy is table service.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Check out the official website because there are a LOT of closures at the moment, due to The Walt Disney Company gradually taking over Disneyland Paris and upgrading a lot of rides and shows. However, most things you are looking at doing should be open by August. The only thing that won't be is Cinemagique in the Studios, which was a really fun tour of the movies through the years, but is being updated and won't be open until next year.

Big Thunder is indeed amazing, particularly at night. Be aware that FastPasses run out quickly for this ride, and only have 30 minute return slots, rather than the hour you will be used to in WDW.

The parks are currently celebrating the 25th Anniversary of DLP, and the merchandise is really lovely, as are the decorations - everything is dark blue and silver, with Tinker Bell being the anniversary mascot.

There are very few character meet & greets around, and the ones that are there always have HUGE queues. Sometimes the characters appear in the resort hotel reception areas, which is worth looking out for.

Also something to note is that August is peak time for school holiday periods in Europe, most notably the UK, and the parks will be very, very crowded.

The parks are quite small, and right next door to each other, with the Disney Village also being very close. There is a train station next to the Village that has a couple of small convenience stores in, which sells drinks, snacks etc. at a much more reasonable price than you pay in the parks.

Rock & Roller Coaster is exactly the same as in WDW; however, Crush's Coaster in the Studios is unique and is a very fast, switchback coaster. The Ratatouille ride in the Studios is really fabulous, a trackless ride that shrinks you down to the size of a rat; however, it does get very busy indeed and also tends to go 101 a lot - make getting a FastPass for this the first thing you do if you can!

Food and drink is expensive, but good quality. You will need to make reservations for any table service dining, I would recommend Chez Remy's in the Studios and Walt's in the Disneyland Park. There is a lovely bakery on Main Street that sells Croque Monsieur, and assorted delicious pastries. The coffee from anywhere in the parks is really good!

We were at DLP just a couple of weeks ago, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I hope you enjoy your visit there.

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Silvercat - is the only way to make dining reservations by phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstress View Post
    Silvercat - is the only way to make dining reservations by phone?
    Yes it is, I'm afraid. Their reservation systems are very different to the USA, at the moment, and everything has to be done by phone rather than online. I think this will change very shortly, as they are in the process of putting together My Disney Experience for DLP, but it isn't live yet.
    Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

I was afraid of that, but thank you for your quick reply Silvercat!

You're very welcome. As I said, anything else you need to know, just give me a shout.

Have a wonderful time!

Silvercat