Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Disneyland expands Fastpass, debuts MaxPass

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I would assume that there will be a way to pay for this in-app. I'm sure Disney wants to make it as easy as possible for people to part with their money. Depending on how heavily they advertise it to start, I would think that most of the people trying to use it to start will be able to pay for it through their phones.

BUT, if they start to advertise it heavily (i.e. pass out flyers about it in the parking lots) then that could attract a lot more people who don't know what they are doing and need extra assistance. Those people might go to the ticket booths for help. If I were Disney, I would do a word of mouth roll-out and fix any flaws before I started advertising heavily. That does not mean that Disney will make the same decision.
    Agree with all of this. Yet we all know that is not how it will go down. It will be on the local news, the papers, their blog and all the fan sites as soon as the info is received on how it works and that its either coming out the next day or is out that day. I can imagine it won't be to pleasant a time for all between the questions with the changes, the app, and possible issues with scanning things and such that could come along. When the parks are pretty full, the app will end up going very slow for those trying to use it for anything. I know at this point, as long as we can get free fps we are doing that. We don't really use the photopass service much at this point and we have no issues walking to wherever to get our fps so sticking with that. I rather use that money elsewhere in the parks. I do wonder though how long the intro price will last and what it will end up costing once its gone. Will it go up sometime during summer crowds or see if they can get people hooked during that time that will use it and then up the price?
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by neverlander View Post

We were planning on purchasing tickets online that we'd need to pick up at the ticket booths this weekend. .
    Not from Disney directly I assume? Disney's are barcoded and go directly to the gates. Will you arrive the night before your first park day? If so, it is totally worth a night time trip to the booth. No lines and the booths are open as long as the park is open. We have picked up tickets at 11 PM on a Saturday night before. Then you can go to the gate without the morning ticket booth line.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Not from Disney directly I assume? Disney's are barcoded and go directly to the gates. Will you arrive the night before your first park day? If so, it is totally worth a night time trip to the booth. No lines and the booths are open as long as the park is open. We have picked up tickets at 11 PM on a Saturday night before. Then you can go to the gate without the morning ticket booth line.
    Thank you. My plan is to purchase tickets through aRes Travel, as the '5th day free' is significant with nine of us going. Our intent is to pick them up Saturday evening and begin using them Sunday. Not knowing who in our group will want to add the PassMax feature, and being unsure of how this will be rolled out by Disney, I'm hesitant to purchase the tickets yet. (But I don't want to kick myself if the aRes promotion disappears!)

Quote Originally Posted by neverlander View Post
    Thank you. My plan is to purchase tickets through aRes Travel, as the '5th day free' is significant with nine of us going. Our intent is to pick them up Saturday evening and begin using them Sunday. Not knowing who in our group will want to add the PassMax feature, and being unsure of how this will be rolled out by Disney, I'm hesitant to purchase the tickets yet. (But I don't want to kick myself if the aRes promotion disappears!)
    I would bet there will always be a way to add the Maxpass on. I would buy the promotional tickets myself and add it at the park if desired. Every other park that offers a paid option has a kiosk every 10 feet to pay for it. Disney isn't known for not allowing their guests to pay for something.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I read online that some rides gave fastpass return windows immediately. I assume it's a bug in the new system but interesting if it's not.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I read online that some rides gave fastpass return windows immediately. I assume it's a bug in the new system but interesting if it's not.

Read that too but I know we have had ones in the past that were 20-30 mins out before. It was rare but it always came down to the ride, the crowds and lines there at the time. Yet it was a bit odd seeing it as 5-10 mins and people able to grab one after the other so quickly.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

I'm guessing it's a glitch, especially since rumor has it that MaxPass will not debut tomorrow after all.

Blog Entries

MAXpass may not debut but I think the scanners and rules about using media starts today. Paper tickets are just reminders - u use your ticket or AP to scan at the posts. One unfortunate outcome? You can't give away your FP to someone else if u r not riding. Non-transferable.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MAXpass may not debut but I think the scanners and rules about using media starts today. Paper tickets are just reminders - u use your ticket or AP to scan at the posts. One unfortunate outcome? You can't give away your FP to someone else if u r not riding. Non-transferable.

Yeah, unless the rules change, I think this is an unfortunate consequence. I imagine there are many folks, like grandparents for example, who would happily offer the use of their passes to get extra Fastpasses so others in their family could ride a second time.
    "The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Yeah, unless the rules change, I think this is an unfortunate consequence. I imagine there are many folks, like grandparents for example, who would happily offer the use of their passes to get extra Fastpasses so others in their family could ride a second time.
    I think in this case it would be different since as it was pointed out you could just switch your ticket/AP with the one going on the ride and if they aren't checking who is who using it for the FP..which I think would be to much work to do. Its more so that you couldn't give your unused FPs to strangers that might be able to use them instead. Which kind of stinks because we have been given ones over the years by people and given them to others as well....when they would take them. So there would be no way to give them to someone randomly anymore with the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I think in this case it would be different since as it was pointed out you could just switch your ticket/AP with the one going on the ride and if they aren't checking who is who using it for the FP..which I think would be to much work to do. Its more so that you couldn't give your unused FPs to strangers that might be able to use them instead. Which kind of stinks because we have been given ones over the years by people and given them to others as well....when they would take them. So there would be no way to give them to someone randomly anymore with the change.
    Reports on another board are that CMs do have hand-held devices that show them the ticket/pass holder's photo when it is scanned at the fastpass return checkpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyobsessed View Post
    Reports on another board are that CMs do have hand-held devices that show them the ticket/pass holder's photo when it is scanned at the fastpass return checkpoints.
    Seems a bit much to have that for just FP. I get it for coming into the parks but if this is true its just crazy IMO. Besides that I thought all those posts they were setting up for this was suppose to be what scanned things not a hand-held device.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Seems a bit much to have that for just FP. I get it for coming into the parks but if this is true its just crazy IMO. Besides that I thought all those posts they were setting up for this was suppose to be what scanned things not a hand-held device.
    I agree. And it now sounds like on that thread that the claim that photos are popping up might be retracted. Someone else is saying that the screens are actually just showing a big green check mark. Really this is the first day of trying something new. Time will tell how strictly things can and will be enforced and how smoothly the procedure can or can't work.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyobsessed View Post
    I agree. And it now sounds like on that thread that the claim that photos are popping up might be retracted. Someone else is saying that the screens are actually just showing a big green check mark. Really this is the first day of trying something new. Time will tell how strictly things can and will be enforced and how smoothly the procedure can or can't work.
    That is what I thought it would be. A green if a go and red if no like WDW's system. Agree it will be a see how things end up as time goes. So is it being used today or no? I don't go on other boards at this point anymore.

The handhelds are how they scan the assistance pass returns, are people confusing them?

Other boards are reporting that there are scanners and hand helds (it depends on the ride and depends on where in the line the check happens). Since this is the first day, I would expect lots of adjustment and readjustment to happen over the next few weeks.

Regarding the issue of a grandparent or someone in the party giving a FP to someone else in the same party, the CM I spoke with told me that this is still possible. Just go to any information kiosk to ask the plaid to transfer the FP for you. It just can't be done for strangers anymore.

Blog Entries

There is a picture at the end of this story that shows a CM looking at his hand held after a guest scans their media. My thought is that they are checking the photo of the person to make sure it's the right "owner" of the ticket.

That will get harder to do with volume.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/23...ong-lines/amp/

There is a picture at the end of this story that shows a CM looking at his hand held after a guest scans their media. My thought is that they are checking the photo of the person to make sure it's the right "owner" of the ticket.
    Since its right next to the scanner for FP, I think its the handheld used for the assistance pass and not checking to make sure the person who scanned it already in the FP scanner was the same person. And looking at the picture again I want to add it looks like someone in a ECV or wheelchair right there so it would makes sense.

When we were at DL Paris, some of our party had a hard time scanning our tickets to get the machines to spit-out the Fastpass. If park tickets are now being used for return entry, it wouldn't surprise me if the hand-held machines are being used to assist people who are having difficulty scanning their passes (perhaps in addition to the assistance passes). That way, a line isn't held up too long if someone is having trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    When we were at DL Paris, some of our party had a hard time scanning our tickets to get the machines to spit-out the Fastpass. If park tickets are now being used for return entry, it wouldn't surprise me if the hand-held machines are being used to assist people who are having difficulty scanning their passes (perhaps in addition to the assistance passes). That way, a line isn't held up too long if someone is having trouble.
    It would make sense just in case and to have that back up.

Especially since the handhelds were already in use and scanners are new and glitches always happen in new systems.

I was in the park this last week when they rolled out the new system in the middle of our stay. I am a heavy user of Fastpass, I always have one in hand. The new system is a total pain with young kids. In stead of having a Fastpass ticket to hold, everyone has to hold their admission ticket. This means that we had to have our 10 and 12 year olds hold a $385 multi day pass through out the walk up to the entrance to the ride. It also meant that we could no longer give the kids Fastpass tickets and let them run off on their own to a ride (I am not going to give my 12 year old daughter a $385 ticket without my supervision). This system simply does not work. They need to go to a magic band or something so that kids tickets are secured.

Blog Entries

I found it interesting that they have scanners installed at the entrance to the attraction - as well as where the ride lines merge - requiring two scans and to keep your media out. Do they do this at WDW? have two scanners? I never saw it discussed on the run up to release - but now that its here I can see jmorgan's issue. Its totally putting the responsibility of managing your media in all guests - including young children. Not the greatest plan.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    I found it interesting that they have scanners installed at the entrance to the attraction - as well as where the ride lines merge - requiring two scans and to keep your media out. Do they do this at WDW? have two scanners? I never saw it discussed on the run up to release - but now that its here I can see jmorgan's issue. Its totally putting the responsibility of managing your media in all guests - including young children. Not the greatest plan.
    Terrible plan - which is probably why they have the bracelets at WDW. DD is 4 - the thought of her with a $849 pass in her hand for even two feet scares the crap out of me.
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

I was curious about this too. With here I think it was set up that way because its how it was to begin with when we gave them the paper ones. Since we had the CM check our paper ones before then the next step was handing them over. It is a pain but I get it. I have never had issues with my kids at 10 or 12 holding on to their passes. And I don't have small ones anymore so not to worried about my kids at their ages doing it. It just will be a pain to collect them back up and put in the purse. I know not all kids are the same though and its more a worry for kids under a certain age to do this. Yet no matter what I can't see it happening with each person scanning it in a family. Plus its not like your family is going to walk on by you to go in without you. So seems silly how it is set up away and why it matters if one family member scans all or they each do.

As for magic bands, I am glad Disney did not go that way here.