Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

We have dates. Now we just have to get the details. 2017 will be the 5th anniversary of the Dumbo Double Dare (first run in 2013); this will be the first test to see if runDisney will or will not designate legacy / perfect for any other challenges other than Goofy. Word from runDisney CMs is they will not and Goofy will be the only 'perfect' challenge. We shall see.

Stay tuned here for more info on the 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon weekend. Anyone already have it penciled in on their 2017 schedule?

Entry Fees

Disneyland Half Marathon presented by Cigna
    $185

Disneyland 10K presented by Cigna
    $120

Dumbo Double Dare presented by Cigna
    $330

Disneyland 5K presented by Cigna
    $80

runDisney Kids Races presented by GoGo squeeZ Applesauce on the Go
    $20

Last edited by RunningFool; 11-28-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Yes, it is penciled on my mental schedule. I'll need it for C2C.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Blog Entries

Attention AP/ DVCs. Looks like runDisney is really cutting the early AP/DVC registration window. According to the site:

The Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna will take place August 31- September 3, 2017 at the Disneyland Resort in California. The early registration period for Disneyland and Walt Disney World Annual Passholders will begin on Thursday, December 8, 2016 at Noon EST / 9:00 a.m. PST and remain open until 8:00 p.m. EST / 5:00 p.m. PST on Monday, December 12, 2016 or until capacity limits are reached.

So, mark your calendars as it's now opening Thursday instead of Tuesday.

General registration opens Tuesday 12/13.

Also - notice the pricing (added to the first post in this forum). There is a SIGNIFICANT drop in the half and challenge prices from 2016.

Disneyland Half 2016 - $205 Disneyland Half 2017 - $185

Disneyland 10k 2016 - $120 Disneyland 10k 2017 - same

Disneyland 5k 2016 - $80 Disneyland 5k 2017 - same

Dumbo Double Dare 2016 - $350 Dumbo Double Dare 2017 - $330

Last edited by RunningFool; 11-28-2016 at 08:35 AM.
    RunningFool

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

no hint at theme yet? Just curious for the 5K and 10K

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Nothing that I've seen or heard so far. I think they may be concerned that an unpopular theme would cause more registration issues than it's worth.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Nothing that I've seen or heard so far. I think they may be concerned that an unpopular theme would cause more registration issues than it's worth.
    So they'd rather deal with poor guest satisfaction for spending money on something they may not want.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

So they'd rather deal with poor guest satisfaction for spending money on something they may not want.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    The theme, or really, the medal, doesn't change the distance or the course. What were they buying, a race or a medal?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    The theme, or really, the medal, doesn't change the distance or the course. What were they buying, a race or a medal?
    Oh there are soooooo many who do the races specifically for the medal.
    RunningFool

We were definitely spoiled last year with the early announcement of the theme and I'm hoping something will pop-up around registration (I mean, I'll be registering regardless but I still want to know!)

Oh there are soooooo many who do the races specifically for the medal.
    Do you think that poor guest satisfaction because of the race theme or medal design is a huge concern for runDisney?

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    But that's been true for the Labor Day weekend races except for last year, when they did release the theme early. Usually, the theme of the 5K and 10K haven't been released until well after the races are sold out.

If you decide to pay for something where you don't know what it is, I say it's the fault of the purchaser, unless it's a quality issue. Kind of like when you buy one of those toy boxes without knowing what's inside.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    But that's been true for the Labor Day weekend races except for last year, when they did release the theme early. Usually, the theme of the 5K and 10K haven't been released until well after the races are sold out.

If you decide to pay for something where you don't know what it is, I say it's the fault of the purchaser, unless it's a quality issue. Kind of like when you buy one of those toy boxes without knowing what's inside.
    Or the pre-order jackets that are hit or miss...

Frankly, while I love my runDisney medals and consider the majority of them among the best in my collection, they are a bonus. It's more about running in the parks and the Disney ambiance that keeps me coming back.
    RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Or the pre-order jackets that are hit or miss...
    Exactly!

Frankly, while I love my runDisney medals and consider the majority of them among the best in my collection, they are a bonus. It's more about running in the parks and the Disney ambiance that keeps me coming back.
    Same here.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Do you think that poor guest satisfaction because of the race theme or medal design is a huge concern for runDisney?
    If it cut into their bottom line? 100%. Which is why I think we're starting to see some slightly different half marathon medals from year to year rather than the same medal for 4 years, anniversary medal, then a different medal for another 4 years, rinse/repeat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBruin View Post
    If it cut into their bottom line? 100%. Which is why I think we're starting to see some slightly different half marathon medals from year to year rather than the same medal for 4 years, anniversary medal, then a different medal for another 4 years, rinse/repeat.
    I know a LOT of people were upset when runDisney changed W&D Half medal from Spaceship Earth at year four - not expecting a change until 5th annual event. Can't please everyone.
    RunningFool

I know a LOT of people were upset when runDisney changed W&D Half medal from Spaceship Earth at year four - not expecting a change until 5th annual event. Can't please everyone.
    That needs to be the new automatic response to any changes from rD: "Can't Please Everyone". If anything in my (somewhat brief) time in the rD community has taught me, its that almost any change will have equal amounts of people loving and hating it (see: different medals, event guides, merchandise, course changes, etc.)

Blog Entries

Just a reminder that early AP/ DVC registration for the 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend opens Thursday December 8th (yes, that is TOMORROW!) at 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

Who is in for 2017?

RunningFool

My wife and myself are in both legacies, anyone have the ap registration website address, any help is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tridj View Post
    My wife and myself are in both legacies, anyone have the ap registration website address, any help is appreciated.
    Congrats on Legacy! Kind of odd to think we're heading into the 12th year of the race in 2017!

Early AP/DVC registration is thru either the WDW or Disneyland AP site (link is on the main WDW / Disneyland websites) depending on your pass. From there you can get to the AP page. Depending on which site you go through, there will be a link to runDisney AP early registration.

Make sure you're logged in prior to the 9:00 a.m Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern registration start so you can get thru all the webpages and be ready when registration opens.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Early AP/DVC registration is open. So far, no queue and running very smooth.

9:25 a.m. No holds. No queue. Thinking for many this might have been a bit too early for registration especially right before Christmas...

11:00 a.m. Same as earlier. No holds. No queue. Nothing sold out.

Last edited by RunningFool; 12-08-2016 at 10:03 AM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

in for 10K - next year I am trying to get back to my form from 2014. Which was not much - but this year set me back. 5 procedures. Yuck.

Blog Entries

I have a question on Active.com.. I was able to register from the runDisney AP sight to Active - but when I tried to search for the event on Active it did not come up. I searched on Disneyland 10K, Disneyland Half Marathon, tried adding 2017 in front of it, etc. Is it because of the AP registration? I ask because even on regular reg days I can't see it when I try a search (from what I recall).

Blog Entries
    I have a question on Active.com.. I was able to register from the runDisney AP sight to Active - but when I tried to search for the event on Active it did not come up. I searched on Disneyland 10K, Disneyland Half Marathon, tried adding 2017 in front of it, etc. Is it because of the AP registration? I ask because even on regular reg days I can't see it when I try a search (from what I recall).
    I assume that early AP/DVC registration would be blocked from view or everyone would be using it. You should, however, be able to see it during regular registration. Give it a shot next Tuesday when it opens for general registration and see what comes up.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    in for 10K - next year I am trying to get back to my form from 2014. Which was not much - but this year set me back. 5 procedures. Yuck.
    And hopefully 2017 will be a much better year for you.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

To put this morning's slow early AP/DVC registration into perspective, when early AP/DVC 2016 registration opened on January 26th, by 10:30 a.m. all 2016 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend events (including kids races) with the exception of the half had sold out. The half never did sell out during early reg.

RunningFool