Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Rainy Days at Disneyland

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Rainy Days at Disneyland

Rainy Days at Disneyland by Megan Walker

How to make the most out bad weather at the resort.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Go on a rainy day mid-week in mid-January and you will absolutely OWN the park. Walk on most attractions with little to no wait at all. My favorite time to go!!!!

Seeing as how we're Florida Annual Passholders and only get to Disneyland about once every two to three years, we don't have a lot of experience with rainfall in Southern California, but we've been at Disneyland on a really rainy night, and it was fantastic! When the really heavy rain started, we bought ponchos while everyone else was clearing out of the park. This was at about 7:00 p.m. The whole family had a blast. We got a locker to put all our stuff in, and we just wandered the park in our ponchos.

The best advice I can give is to ride the attractions that normally have the longest wait times. If there's still a crowd there, you'll at least by in the queue and out of the rain for a bit. However, we found that even the rides with normally very long lines were deserted. We had to wait maybe five minutes for Space Mountain, and when we were done, we did the big long walk around to the entrance and rode it again. When we were done that time, there was NO ONE in line, and they asked us if we wanted to ride again, so we never even got out of the vehicle.

In Florida, we rarely use ponchos because they tend to get too hot during much of the year, so I'm not sure ponchos are the best bet if the weather's really warm. An umbrella usually does the trick. The other thing we usually do in Florida is ride the "wet" rides on rainy days -- Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids (same s the Grizzly River Run in DCA). You're probably already wet, so why not just go all-in? You can always keep your poncho on for those rides if you don't want to get wetter.

I'm from Seattle, and rain and cool temperatures are something you get used to. Normal indoor and outdoor activities don't get changed that often on a year-round basis, and figuring out what to do on a very rainy day is pretty easy. But when vacationing in Disneyland, where there's a limited amount of time budgeted for attractions, dining, and shopping, rain can change your perspective pretty fast.

On one particular multi-day vacation, on our last day in the Park, we experienced very heavy rain for the first 4 hours or so. We did our best to duck under cover to avoid excess soaking, but after some time, while most of the attractions had cleared out, we happily enjoyed short, or non-existent queue lines. California Screamin' in the rain carries an extra face-peppering element...

One piece of advice I would give to vacationers who live outside of southern California is to not shy away from the weather, but embrace it as a saving grace to your vacation. The Park tends to loosen up when it rains. Both guests and cast members alike tend to share a few extra laughs and friendly gestures when the weather turns sour. It changes your perspective by reminding you that the Happiest Place on Earth is still the Happiest Place on Earth even when mother nature throws you a curveball. Your vacation isn't going to get ruined by some rain.

And besides, when you shrug off the rain and remain happy, others will follow, uplifting their spirits.

Rainy days are the best. This was 7 years ago, my son wasn't too happy when I took this but we had a great day. The park was pretty empty, no lines all day.
    IMG_2332.jpg

The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is the riding of Splash or GRR during the rain.

I'm not normally worried about getting too wet on Splash or even GRR (I'm not normally one who dons a poncho for riding in normal weather as you see some people do), but riding Splash on a rainy day in early January this year, I think the rain contributed in a heavy way (or it was a combination of that and a heavy log).

I didn't specifically take my poncho off, figuring like the author, "hey, I'm wet anyway", and I ended up with probably an actual gallon or more of water from the final drop in my lap, all captured with my poncho! There was no way to offload the water out of my lap that didn't result in dumping it all over myself.

Granted, this January when I was there was a case of El Nino, I believe, so it may have been the extreme case. I definitely think the added water from the rain made the ride more of a soaker.

-Dave