Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Going to Aulani next month - Any tips?

Cool Going to Aulani next month - Any tips?

My hubby and I are going to Aulani next month for the D23 Club Event there, so I'd like to know what y'all think about the place. What are the best things to do there? What are their restaurants like? Our Disneyland Resort favorite restaurant is Napa Rose of course, so how do their places compare? What are their classes like? Can you really learn to play a yukelele with just the one lesson? How is their snorkeling? Would it be better to rent gear off-site and go to Hanama Bay instead? Any things to make sure we do off-site?

Thanks in advance for ayn info you can give me!

Karen W2

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Never been, but the one thing I keep hearing is that you should plan on having a rental car.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

We enjoyed the hotel and grounds.We had never been to Hawaii before so we went to the Pearl Harbor exhibit and Waikiki and that was ok. We were very surpised with how much homelessness there was and how dirty some of the places were.
    We did do the luau right up the road from Aulani and we wouldn't go back. It was one of those things that you have do once and that is enough.
    Actually, our favorite thing to do was walk the four lagoon path on a daily basis. There are other restaruants at the hotels along the path that are pretty decent. We did not take any ukele lessons or snorkel. The snorkeling area did look like something worth trying. We did swim and that was fine.
    Disney without the parks is Disney without the parks.

We just returned from a lovely week at Aulani. A rental car is really handy ( great rates through Costco travel) for both adventures and picking up groceries/sundries. If you rental snorkels and fins through Aulani, you aren't permitted to go beyond Disney's lagoon 4. Generally you can buy snorkel gear for less than Disney's rental. There is both a Costco and Target just one exit away on the H1. There is a very well stocked convenience store ( part of the ABC chain) across the street from Aulani and it is definitely a better value than the store on the Aulani premises. We had an amazing dinner at Pho 808 which was about 10 minutes by car. Hope you have a wonderful trip. It was truly magical for my granddaughter. The new Four Seasons is adjacent to Aulani and the Fish House was very nice. ( though pricy)

One thing I remember is that the kids at the Four Seasons pool next door sure didn't look as happy as the kids at the Aulani pools.

For anyone planning on visiting Aulani and having a rental car, unless you're a DVC member, it's $37/day to park in the garage. We rented from Alamo onsite on days we wanted to explore other parts of the island. Got the car in the morning, and dropped it off right in front with valet when we returned in the evening.

2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company