Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Disney's Hollywood Studios Tips

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Disney's Hollywood Studios Tips

My Disney Top 5 - Disney's Hollywood Studios Tips by Chris Barry

Chris closes his series with Walt Disney World's third gate, Disney's Hollywood Studios

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Chris, you nailed this one in my opinion. For at least the past 10 years to me, DHS has been my least favorite park, but includes what are probably two of my top three Disney attractions - Toy Story Mania and Tower of Terror. Any list of tips/highlights in the park that I created would revolve around those two attractions.

IMO, this park lost all of its theming and life when it transitioned from being a working studio, where anything could happen and you could see anything, to simply rides based on past movies and shows. The theming of the park totally fell apart - while several of the individual attractions were still impressive, there was no longer any sense of being IN the movies/shows, and the excitement of the early days of the park was totally lost. For me, the one attraction that came closest to the original intent of the park since then was Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, which definitely had the feel of the show (I remember sweating in the "hot seat" when I made it on stage!). American Idol also had that feel. While neither attraction would have been a centerpiece for the park, they definitely fit right in with the overall theme of living the movies/shows.

Now, at least, DHS is transitioning into a theme of being IN the make believe worlds of the movies (as opposed to being in the real world of making movies). It's a big transition, but I'm hoping the theming of the new "lands" will work, and no matter what happens, I'm confident that it will certainly be better than the lack of any overall theme!

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jms1969 View Post
    Chris, you nailed this one in my opinion. For at least the past 10 years to me, DHS has been my least favorite park, but includes what are probably two of my top three Disney attractions - Toy Story Mania and Tower of Terror. Any list of tips/highlights in the park that I created would revolve around those two attractions.

IMO, this park lost all of its theming and life when it transitioned from being a working studio, where anything could happen and you could see anything, to simply rides based on past movies and shows. The theming of the park totally fell apart - while several of the individual attractions were still impressive, there was no longer any sense of being IN the movies/shows, and the excitement of the early days of the park was totally lost. For me, the one attraction that came closest to the original intent of the park since then was Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, which definitely had the feel of the show (I remember sweating in the "hot seat" when I made it on stage!). American Idol also had that feel. While neither attraction would have been a centerpiece for the park, they definitely fit right in with the overall theme of living the movies/shows.

Now, at least, DHS is transitioning into a theme of being IN the make believe worlds of the movies (as opposed to being in the real world of making movies). It's a big transition, but I'm hoping the theming of the new "lands" will work, and no matter what happens, I'm confident that it will certainly be better than the lack of any overall theme!
    Thanks for the kind words jms. I couldn't agree more with your assessment. Its great to see so much potential on the horizon.

Chris