Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Race Plans

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2017 Race Plans

Now that we've hit the half-way point in 2016, it's time to start planning for 2017. Any race plans already taking shape?

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

For anyone looking to get in on an inaugural event, Encinitas is hosting the Inaugural Encinitas Half Marathon on March 26, 2017. Special pricing of $69 is good until June 19th.

You can check out all the details and register here.

RunningFool

I will likely be doing the Star Wars challenges on both coasts again in 2017.

Screenland 5K
    Sign-ups were supposed to start today, so far I haven't seen that happen. Still, it's local to me, so I'll likely do it.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

In 2017 we're planning to attempt to "streak" with Brazen Racing. That means running or volunteering for all 26 or so races they hold in the calendar year.

I'm pretty uncertain with what I want to do next year for certain but my tentative first half of 2017 is:

January: Star Wars Light Side--Rebel Challenge
    Pasadena Half Marathon (as part of EndurLA challenge)
    March: LA Marathon
    May: Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon
    Mountains 2 Beach Half Marathon (it goes right past my apartment!)

Depending on how I like them this year, I might do some more of the Rock n Rolls. Also casually looking into the Avenue of the Giants...eventually.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex S. View Post
    In 2017 we're planning to attempt to "streak" with Brazen Racing. That means running or volunteering for all 26 or so races they hold in the calendar year.
    That's a lot of races for one organization!

I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing a half in January (Louisiana Marathon weekend in Baton Rouge) and one in March (Zydeco in Lafayette, LA). After this year being the 3rd year of doing the Grand Prix series with New Orleans Track Club* I may not focus on that, but just pick and choose which shorter races I do with them, and a couple other local running organizations. Probably be volunteering more, too. But I'm someone that does better with a carrot AND a stick - so reward for training = doing better in races; penalty for not training = figuratively dying in races - so not sure if I'll be sticking to that approach or 'doing all the races' again!

*You get points for each of a set number of races, 5K and under, based on where you placed in your division and also for volunteering.
    Cathy

I'm signing up for the Pixie Dust Challenge again for sure. And tossing around the idea of the Glass Slipper Challenge.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm actually less sure of my next years' races than I've ever been! I have several that are on my wish list but not sure if I'll be able to swing them. The RnR and beach cities events will probably be short notice, I'm so undecided.

January- Rebel Challenge and Star Wars 5k
    February- Either Surf City or RnR NOLA
    March- San Diego Half Marathon Relay (if DH can run as my partner)
    April- SW Dark Side Half Marathon (TMM's first East Coast event!) and maybe Revel Mt Charleston (lots of variables for April/May)
    May-Tinker Bell 5k and Half Marathon (perfect pixie). If I do Surf City I'll also do OC for the Beach Cities Challenge
    June-Castaway Cay 5k
    July-
    August-
    Sept- DLHM (probably just the 10k)
    Oct-
    Nov-
    Dec-

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Never mind. I posted the same info right before Fairest!

Cathy

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    The RnR and beach cities events will probably be short notice, I'm so undecided.
    Would you be doing Long Beach this year or next year for beach cities challenge? And, halves or fulls or a combo?
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Would you be doing Long Beach this year or next year for beach cities challenge? And, halves or fulls or a combo?
    I'm still not sure about Long Beach. I still need an Oct race, so prob this year. Halves only! Other than Dirty Dozen, my third and (probably) final full marathon will be WDW 2018. I'm having issues with my "good" hip and I honestly think a replacement is only a couple of years away.

So far I'm only registered for Star Wars Rebel Challenge in January.
    I was hoping to do RnR SF in March but I have a schedule conflict so that ones out. hmmm maybe that just means I get to do Tink again? But honestly I'd hate to be away from the kids 2 mothers day's in a row.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I pulled the trigger on Long Beach half. Mostly because I'll miss seeing Rudy at DLHM.

I'm actually less sure of my next years' races than I've ever been! I have several that are on my wish list but not sure if I'll be able to swing them. The RnR and beach cities events will probably be short notice, I'm so undecided.

January- Rebel Challenge and Star Wars 5k
    February- Either Surf City or RnR NOLA
    March- San Diego Half Marathon Relay (if DH can run as my partner)
    April- SW Dark Side Half Marathon (TMM's first East Coast event!) and maybe Revel Mt Charleston (lots of variables for April/May)
    May-Tinker Bell 5k and Half Marathon (perfect pixie). If I do Surf City I'll also do OC for the Beach Cities Challenge
    June-Castaway Cay 5k
    July-
    August-
    Sept- DLHM (probably just the 10k)
    Oct-
    Nov-
    Dec-
    Have you done Surf City before? If you have, what were your thoughts on it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkmom View Post
    I have not. I haven't done any of the halfs in the beach city series. But, many on here have and could probably chime in. I've done Long Beach, but only the full. The half will be new to me.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkmom View Post
    I have not. I haven't done any of the halfs in the beach city series. But, many on here have and could probably chime in. I've done Long Beach, but only the full. The half will be new to me.
    I did Surf City this year for the first time. Here's what I wrote about it:

I did the Surf City half marathon yesterday for the first time, so combined with last year's Long Beach half, I'm two-thirds through the Beach Cities Challenge, which will be completed at the OC half marathon in May.

I can't say that I'm much a fan of the Surf City course. Yes, it's beautiful running next to the beach, but it's a long never-ending stretch of road, and frankly, I got bored after a while, not to mention that about three of the last five miles are an incline. The support on the course wasn't great. There were still a lot of people behind me, but I got to stations where they ran out of Vitalyte, and the Clif station was completely out and empty.

Oh, and apparently, this was the first year they had corrals? But it got a little messed up. The husband had submitted an estimated finish time that was about 15 minutes faster than me, but he had a bib number that was about 10,000 behind me. When he went to get it fixed at the expo, he was told his number was right, and based on what they said the finish time was for the people around my bib number, I was in the wrong corral. I decided to join him in his corral, which turned out to be the last corral, which was essentially everyone after the number 15,000. Given that I saw people with bibs in the 20,000 and 22,000 range, that was just crazy. (All of the earlier corrals had about 3,000 numbers in them. And then during the race, I saw pacers for the half marathon who weren't that far in front of me, so I have no idea what the deal was with the corral placement.

I'm expecting to be one-and-done for this race.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Can't believe I already am starting to register for 2017 races

January - Star Wars 5K - registered
    - Great Chocolate Race in Long Beach - registered
    February - Redondo Beach Super Bowl 5K - need to register
    March -
    April - Walk Run Read - need to register
    May - Neverland 5k (hope to do 10K too)
    - Torrance Armed Forces Day - need to register
    June - Fat Boy 5K in Long Beach - registered
    July -
    August -
    September -
    October - Humboldt Redwoods 5k - need to register
    November - Torrance Turkey Trot - need to register
    December -

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

Signed up for my first full marathon for WDW 2017!!! So incredibly excited! I've been following the Jeff Galloway official plan and its been going surprisingly well! My two friends from the east coast are doing Dopey for the first time. They are much more experienced runners than I, so its great inspiration. And having friends to celebrate after with will be amazing!!

I have 2 half marathons until then to get me in the racing spirit... DL half on Sunday and Long Beach half in October. LB will be my first non-disney half marathon. The medal will look so silly among the glory that is runDisney medals!

Contemplating Tinker Bell since registration opens soon. I'll have to check with my friends if they are coming to the west coast again for that one

Princess half at WDW - trip already booked!
    DL half
    C2C!

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Force is strong in this one

My wife Katie and I are planning on doing Dark Side in April. I'm going to be back in September for DL Half again too. She is training for Ironman Wisconsin, so she might not run the DL Half.

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Blog Entries

If you've ever wanted to take part in Hood to Coast but a) couldn't get on a team or b) your team couldn't get in, here's a new alternative by the same company. Hood to Coast Washington.

The creators of the Mother of All Relays and the most popular relay race in the world have officially announced another epic relay. Hood To Coast Washington will span 77 miles through the Evergreen State beginning from Washington’s Hood Canal and ending at the beautiful Pacific Ocean. This one-day, one-van, six-member race features all the sought after aspects of the original Hood To Coast Relay in Oregon. However, some things will be different. No sleeping fields, no major exchanges, no running in the middle of the night, and no need to take Friday off work.

Teams of six will run 77 miles with each participant completing two legs along the 12-leg race course; walking teams of 4-6 will trek 52 miles along an eight-leg course. All legs will feature an electrolyte and water stop, and smooth traffic. Racers will experience the beauty of western Washington as each leg showcases something special, like scenic waterways, the serene forests, and the Pacific Ocean. This event will be capped at 250 teams.

Hood To Coast Washington will be a primarily flat, fast, and friendly journey starting near Lake Isabella State Park, through the Olympic National Forest, along the Chehalis River and Grays Harbor, eventually ending at the state’s best kept secret—the coastal community of Seabrook, located on the Pacific Ocean.

THE MOTHER OF ALL RELAYS GOES TO WASHINGTON!

DATE: June 3, 2017

RACE COURSE: Hood To Coast Washington is 77 miles long for running teams and 52 miles long for walking teams. See Course Maps for more route info

TOTAL TEAMS: 250 Teams

PARTICIPANTS PER TEAM: 6 runners or walkers

TOTAL PARTICIPANTS: 1,500

REGISTRATION FEE: $800 – Running Teams, $600 – Walking Teams until December 31, 2016.
    After December 31, $900 – Running Teams, $700 – Walking Teams

REGISTRATION PROCESS: Team captains CLICK HERE to register your team beginning December 7th.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

If any of you run Rock n Roll events, take note they are having a big registration sale on Thursday 12/15 at 12:00 a.m. Pacific. Limited supplies but you can do three RnR events for the price of one runDisney event...

You can find more information and prices here.

RunningFool

Plans so far for 2017

January - Star Wars 5K
    - Great Chocolate Race in Long Beach - registered
    February - Redondo Beach Super Bowl 5K - Registered
    - Screenland 5K (need to register)
    March - St Patricks Day 5k In Redondo Beach
    April - Walk Run Read - (need to register)
    May - Neverland 5k registered
    - Torrance Armed Forces Day - need to register
    June - Fat Boy 5K in Long Beach - registered
    July -
    August -
    September -
    October - Humboldt Redwoods 5k - (need to register hope I can get off work, major software upgrade is happening at this time)
    November - Spiderman 5k - registered
    - Torrance Turkey Trot (need to register)
    December -

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

January 14th - SWLS 10K (completed)
    March 12th- Tustin Hangar 5K*
    April 22nd - Angels 5K*
    June - looking for one*
    September 2nd - DL 10K (Registered)
    November 11-12 IGC Disneyland (Registered)
    January 13th 2018 - SWLS 10K

*= a lot is predicated on my PT for my plantar fasciits and the pain on the outside of the foot as well. Depends how I respond. I will start in February.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney