Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Epcot Tips

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Epcot Tips

My Disney Top 5 - Epcot Tips by Chris Barry

Chris continues his series with Walt Disney World's second, and perhaps, his favorite theme park.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Excellent tips on my favorite park. I hope that not too many people take you up on the remaining in the park after closing thing. I really love that time of day, and after all the masses leave it's just amazing to have the World Showcase mostly to yourself!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Disney Animation Fan

Those are good tips, Chris.

Dan, you don't have to worry about the park remaining crowded after official closing. A lot of groups will have kids that need to get to bed or just generally exhausted people that will be trying to get to a bed as fast as possible. Even if they are convinced that the relaxing environment in a post-Illuminations World Showcase sounds cool, physical needs will still take precedence.

Epcot is a park that is fun for all the little details in it. One piece of advice I would add to these five is to talk to the cast members in World Showcase about their home. They have a different perspective on the world, and it is great fun to hear those other points of view. I learned a lot of neat things about Canadian life from my server at the Canadian restaurant.

In some ways, Epcot is like a massive science, history, and cultural museum experience. Yes, you will learn things, but people go to those places in their hometowns because the exhibits are inherently interesting. It is always the park I want to spend the most days in.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    Dan, you don't have to worry about the park remaining crowded after official closing. A lot of groups will have kids that need to get to bed or just generally exhausted people that will be trying to get to a bed as fast as possible.
    As long as people stay out of MY park, I'm happy!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

These tips are all spot-on. Epcot is the reason you need parkhopper tickets -- you'll want to spend at least part of the day there on the majority of days of your trip.

I can't think of any tips that beat the five you've posted, but I have a few others for Epcot newbies:

#6 Don't think that kids won't enjoy the World Showcase, or that adults without kids won't enjoy Future World. We've been with both groups, and the folks with kids were reluctant to venture into World Showcase, because they didn't think the kids would find anything they liked back there. (That was definitely not the case!) We've also been with some friends -- who have been to WDW before -- who don't have children, and they had never visited any of the attractions in Future World other than Spaceship Earth. We fixed that, and they had a great time.

#7 Talk to the international cast members. Ask them questions about where they're from, what they like about the U.S., things they've found to be different in their home countries and the U.S., what foods they think are "authentic" in the different countries' restaurants. It doesn't matter whether you have kids with you or not; you'll always have a very personal encounter that is both informative and fun.

#8 Venture out the International Gateway and visit the Epcot-area resorts. The Boardwalk is always fun, and there's some fantastic food there. The Yacht and Beach Clubs (favorite places for us to stay) are also worth a visit. Take the boat to the Studios, or walk if you're feeling energetic.

Personally I make it a goal never to go into Innoventions, I remember one time I'd went to the Disneyland version way back when I was a lot younger, I think my brother and I spent nearly the whole day sucked in there without realizing it. Funny enough in retrospect I feel pretty bad for my mom that was with us as we never got much to seeing the rest of the park (granted we were about bi-yearly visitors back then, but still). So yeah, just because I know even now I'd be lured into the different games and stuff in there, I make it a goal to not go in and give up several hours I could be spending over the rest of Epcot's sights instead.

I guess it's also funny that once upon a time, back in high school when I first went to WDW I'd heard about how Epcot was the boring learning park, and I generally believed that. But when I got there, I guess I was at just the right age to appreciate what I'd heard about it was all wrong and that it was actually a pretty cool place. Sure you can go there to learn I suppose, but I see it more as exploration of other cultures and seeing different things over strictly learning in a boring bookish sense.