Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: How should DVC Members rent out their points: Privately or broker-assisted?

How should DVC Members rent out their points: Privately or broker-assisted?

Here is an evaluation of whether DVC members should rent out their points on their own or via a broker-assisted approach. The article was authored by the owner of a DVC point broker company, yet is surprisingly balanced and fair. What do you think of the article?

Renting DVC: Private vs Broker Assisted

DVC Mike

2. # ADS

I think it depends on how much work the owner wants to do.

I'm a DVC point consumer, not an owner. I've rented both privately, from the same person, and thru a well-known broker. I have just rented for the 6th time, this time being the second time I've used the broker. I haven't ever had a problem with any transactions, either while going thru the rental process or when checking into the resort. We've decided to go with the broker from here on out because they have had excellent customer service and were quick to get back to us and answer our questions. The private person (she dealt with several folks who wanted to unload their points) we dealt with started to get a little odd and even though we never had any problems with our previous transactions, we started to get a weird feeling so that is what precipitated our switch to the legitimate broker.
    We've rented points at BC, BW, OKW, WL, and Saratoga. Going back to BC in January. We've found renting DVC points to be an excellent value for our travels to WDW. We've always saved a substantial amount over rack rates, even when calculating a % off or free dining promotion that could have been applied. I can't believe more people don't do it...
    In any event, I just wanted to share our point of view as a point renter.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never rented points, but I've rented mine out once. Privately. It was super easy. The person who rented the points is someone that I know well and she just sent me her dates and I booked it in her name. I forwarded all of the confirmations to her. I think it was pretty easy, maybe she'll weigh in here if she sees this.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

I'm hesitant to rent privately from someone I don't know. I tried to rent through two brokers recently, but neither had availability for the dates I wanted.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've rented twice, once from someone I found on another message board and one where I knew the person really well (see above). Both went really well and were very straightforward. I was nervous until check in with the first, but definitely not the second.

I don't think I'd do a stranger rental in the future, but would definitely do one with a friend and would probably try a broker.

Cathy

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I've rented twice, once from someone I found on another message board and one where I knew the person really well (see above). Both went really well and were very straightforward. I was nervous until check in with the first, but definitely not the second.

I don't think I'd do a stranger rental in the future, but would definitely do one with a friend and would probably try a broker.
    I think this worked out well for both of us. We don't usually use our points, so I'm not usually in the market to rent out. We both benefitted. I rented at the rate that a broker would have paid me, so I lost nothing and I gave a friend a better deal.

I won't be doing that this year! We've already used all of our 2016 points!
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

THe first time I rented points, I did it via a private transaction with someone I didnt really know. However, we both seemed to have done a bit of electronic research on each other beforehand...

The transaction was perfect... and dare I say caused me to buy in.

Our neighbors went through a broker and they had no issues. If I were to do it again, that would be the way I would do it as well.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!