You've come such a long, long way
    And I've watched you from that very first day

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

The Emoji Movie

-5/10.

We only watched it because we knew it was going to be bad.
    When it comes to bad movies, this is the one to beat to lower the bar even more so.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Winter Wrap Up

The Buthcer Brothers The Violent Kind
    The Texas Chainsaw Masscre II Leatherface
    Evil Dead 2 1990
    Evil Dead 2013

[Princess Celestia]

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    The Emoji Movie

-5/10.

We only watched it because we knew it was going to be bad.
    When it comes to bad movies, this is the one to beat to lower the bar even more so.
    This was the movie that we hosted as my daughter's birthday party. At the end of the (drop-off) party, I *may* have mentioned to several parents how lucky they are that they can do drop-offs now that the kids are older. In the past, it's been a lot of families who attend their movie parties, sometimes buying tickets for extra family members. I think only one or two tried this time, and it was more of a logistics/babysitting factor than an immense desire to see the movie.

Expecting it to be -10/10, I was "pleasantly surprised" that I didn't dislike it more than I did. Some of that could have been the endorphins that are released at the end of any birthday party when all of the kids are picked up and no one was injured - giving it an artificial bump. I have not gone back and re-watched.

Winter Wrap Up

Zombies Zombies Zombies Strippers VS Zombies
    Quarantine 2 Terminal

[Princess Celestia]

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I have not gone back and re-watched.
    Just say no.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Haunted Mansion (With Eddie Murphy.)
    Forgot how cool of a movie it was. Not a great film but a fun one none the less.

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Finding Dory.

I think I enjoyed it more the second time around.

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Accepted.
    Its a funny and corny movie. If you like Animal House, you'll probably like this one too...

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Bright (on Netflix)
    I was really looking forward to it and it was pretty much a letdown. Very dark and bizarre. There are some social commentary undertones to it, which were kinda interesting, but overall, just a "meh" watch.

The Greatest Showman One of the most incredible movies I have ever seen. Visually breathtaking and the music and acting is amazing. New all time favorite film and new (and so perfect) theme song for me. This Is Me.

Will be seeing it multiple times. Already have the soundtrack and the behind the scenes hardcover book. Will be preordering it as soon as I can.
    Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

Bright (on Netflix)
    I was really looking forward to it and it was pretty much a letdown. Very dark and bizarre. There are some social commentary undertones to it, which were kinda interesting, but overall, just a "meh" watch.
    Completely agree with you. I also was so looking forward to it. Afterwards it was pointed out to me that the cop with non-human partner in a changing land has been done before and so very much better. Alien Nation (both film and TV show) was wonderful and really nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkPearlCptn View Post
    The Greatest Showman One of the most incredible movies I have ever seen...
    So glad to hear that you liked it! This has been on our list, and we've deliberately been staying away from reviews, so your thumbs up is encouraging. It's playing near us, so I think I know what we'll be doing this weekend.

"Lady Bird" -- loved this. Great acting, really fun writing and directing. Enjoy Laurie Metcalf's work so much, and this was just wonderful.

Jumanji - LOVED IT! Dwayne Johnson is such a movie star. Super fun.

3 Billboards - WOW. Amazing. Acting, writing, directing were all superb.

I, Tonya - finally got a chance to finish this. It was good, it was fun. It is not in the same class as 3 Billboards, but it's not meant to be. Totally worth seeing.

Phantom Thread - watched 30 mins and lost interest. I'm gonna try again this week.

Lady Bird - wasn't for me.

DD watched The Greatest Showman at a slumber party. She raved about it. She is a pretty picky critic.

Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't

She's 4. She has a mind of her own and the scars to prove it.

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Wonder Woman
    I think it was a good movie, but it could have done better as an origin story. Not that it had a lot of gaps... it just seemed to be missing something.
    Great special effects, but a few too many slo-mo's. Gal did a great job in her role!
    Also the score is something that I could listen to on a regular basis. Simply well done for a modern movie score.

GusScore = 8. A good movie.

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

The Circle.
    Its somewhat of a slow moving movie that has a few aspects of it that were somewhat eye opening. (Ill comment more in spoiler tag.)
    However, the ending was quite anti-climatic, which was a total and complete letdown. Bad part is, even with the way it ended I didnt find myself thinking that I wanted to know more about how this could have ended.

GusScore - 5. Not a bad watch, but not all that memorable. You can find it on Amazon Prime now.

There is a part that shows how the idea is to pretty much control everything with data and analytics. But more specifically, how it seems like everyone is watching. Being that we are in a phase in human history where it seems like we are more interested in someone streaming their lives than our own, there is a level of social commentary being made here. The more you open your life to the world, the more you are apt to loose yourself in some ways. If you think about it - there is a distinct possibility of our current online habits are growing into that very way of life. That may not be a concern for many at this time, but in the Disney realm, it can be a very real thing.
    Anyway... I know I dont normally make longer commentaries about movies, but just wanted to mention that.

All the Money in the World.

It was good. However, I did not enjoy it. As a mother, I find kidnapping very hard to watch. Christopher Plummer was of course AMAZING. I cannot imagine it being as good with Spacey. I loved Wahlberg and Williams. Always a fan of his, I appreciate the quality of her work, but I don't typically like to watch her. I found her super compelling in the film.

I am familiar with the story, and found myself wanting it to end. Looking for certain markers of things I knew happened so I could know the story was coming to an end.

DH read the script and found the scrip to be be "good" as well. Not Amazing, not awful. Solid, but nothing earth shattering.

Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't

She's 4. She has a mind of her own and the scars to prove it.

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Popeye (1980)

This movie, while somewhat corny, was really not bad given that its over 35 years old. I mean, the special effects were actually pretty good for the time.
    The hardest part was actually understanding Popeye's dialog at times, which at the same time is in line with how the cartoons portrayed him.

A nice stroll down memory lane.

Reservoir Dogs - First time watching this.

Popeye (1980)

This movie, while somewhat corny, was really not bad given that its over 35 years old. I mean, the special effects were actually pretty good for the time.
    The hardest part was actually understanding Popeye's dialog at times, which at the same time is in line with how the cartoons portrayed him.

A nice stroll down memory lane.

I was a HUGE Popeye fan growing up (in fact it's how mom got me to eat and learn to love spinach lol). In an interview with Robin Williams he said that if you listen closely to Popeye in the cartoons he was saying some pretty filthy stuff under his breath and Robin wanted to capture that feel. While Robin did keep it clean it was a neat bit of trivia that I had to check out. And yes...Popeye is just ragging filth. It is hysterical. So love the cartoons and love the movie. Finally got it on DVD

Fans of the Popeye movie might be interested to know that a 2-CD special edition soundtrack album to the movie was released a few months ago. Disc 1 is a lengthy program of the songs and score from the film and disc 2 contains demos and other supplimental material. It's kind of similar to Disney's "Legacy Collection" releases.

I actually wonder how many people remember that the film was co-produced by Disney, although Paramount actually released it.

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    Fans of the Popeye movie might be interested to know that a 2-CD special edition soundtrack album to the movie was released a few months ago. Disc 1 is a lengthy program of the songs and score from the film and disc 2 contains demos and other supplimental material. It's kind of similar to Disney's "Legacy Collection" releases.

I actually wonder how many people remember that the film was co-produced by Disney, although Paramount actually released it.
    Thanks so very much I didn'tknow and will be ordering this now!

Winter Wrap Up

deleted

Last edited by Scamp; 02-02-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    [Princess Celestia]

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Lady Bird" - I really enjoyed this movie. The performances were outstanding.

"All the Money in the World" - I was interested in the story and hadn't known about the real events. Michelle Williams was fantastic, and I completely get why Christopher Plummer was nominated. He was amazing. I went back to look at the original trailer with Kevin Spacey, and he's actually not in it much. I would be interested in watching a couple of his major scenes to see how he chose to play it, but I suspect none of that footage will ever see the light of day, at least not in my lifetime. I don't necessarily think the role itself was a marquee role, and it really depended on how it was played. Even before the recent revelations about Kevin Spacey, I've always thought he played his roles in a creepy, smarmy, sleezy way, so I don't know if he played Getty that way, but Christopher Plummer had a definite dignity in his portrayal, even as we saw how ruthless Getty was. I also really liked the guy who played the major kidnapper. He was terrific.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

"I've seen your daily routine. You are NOT busy."

Winter Wrap Up

Levenger Tapes

[Princess Celestia]