Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie seen, part 5

The Advocate Celebrates 50 Years: A Long Road to Freedom

Its a documentary about the LGBTQ+ movement starting with the Black Cat protest and ending with a 50th Anniversary celebration of Advocate Magazine.

Turns out to be the fourth screening of the movie, which wont be released until January. Worth the wait. Its kind of train of thought, though it uses interviews from more than two dozen people. Its a very natural progression. Informative and entertaining.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

2. # ADS

Just saw the trailer for Dumbo. It looks amazing and yes I can't get through it without crying.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Green Book" - I was interested in this as soon as I saw the trailer a few months ago. The film definitely lived up to the trailer. Terrific performances all around.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Ralph Breaks the Internet" - Loved "Wreck-It Ralph" and loved this one too. I'm seeing it again Sunday. I cried at one unexpected part and then was sobbing by the end of the movie, because it made me think about a friend who's no longer with us.

Putting the unexpected part in spoilers. If you respond to this, please respond only with spoiler tags because I don't want to ruin it for anyone else.

The cameo by Stan Lee. I did not know about it. As soon as I saw him, I reacted the same way I usually do when I see his other cameos, with joy and a laugh, but this time, it was immediately followed by sadness and tears. They thought they were being funny putting him in, not knowing it would end up being a posthumous tribute.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Also saw Ralph Breaks the Internet. Excellent film. Super enjoyed it. I thought it was funny, had a huge amount of pop culture references, and a good multi-level storyline.

You MUST stay all the way through the credits... to the very very end. Seriously.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Instant Family" - A bit predictable but a good movie, and the expected tear-jerking works.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Boy Erased" - Very difficult film to watch but important. I expect, though, that those who would benefit from seeing this film would refuse to watch it. I wasn't aware that it was based on a specific story.

"The Favourite" - I was very much looking forward to seeing this. Overall, I think it had some stellar moments, but I thought it was a bit uneven in parts. And it was a case where I'd seen the trailer too many times so it had dulled my reaction to some of the best lines.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    "Boy Erased" - Very difficult film to watch but important. I expect, though, that those who would benefit from seeing this film would refuse to watch it. I wasn't aware that it was based on a specific story.
    I've been wanting to see this one, but it hits a bit close to a family situation I'm hoping doesn't materialize. I think you are correct on those who would refuse to watch it.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericles View Post
    I've been wanting to see this one, but it hits a bit close to a family situation I'm hoping doesn't materialize. I think you are correct on those who would refuse to watch it.
    I'm sorry that this is a potential problem in your family. I hope things turn out ok for the person involved.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Once Upon a Deadpool" - Really enjoyed it. Loved the idea they used to make it PG-13. I think there are two scenes in this version that weren't in the original version. That, or I just don't remember having seen them previously.

And, I'm not kidding, stay until they turn the projector off. Seriously.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    "Once Upon a Deadpool" - Really enjoyed it. Loved the idea they used to make it PG-13.
    So, is this just a PG13 version of DP2 or something else?

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    So, is this just a PG13 version of DP2 or something else?
    It's not just an edited version of Deadpool 2. There's an extra element added throughout the film.

I didn't know the story of The Favourite at all. I was distracted by a lot of the camera work. I'm a little surprised by how much attention it's getting, it doesn't seem like the kind of movie that people usually go for. I liked it, but it's the kind of thing I'd usually just catch on cable.

Green Book is probably the best movie I've seen in months. I liked Can You Ever Forgive Me too, but I liked Green Book a lot more.

Blog Entries

Introduced my son to James Bond films via Die Another Day. Yes, its known as the worst Bond film... which means he will like the others even more so!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Mary Poppins Returns" - Generally loved it. There's one sequence that's a fantastic sequence but doesn't really add to the story and makes the film a bit long unnecessarily. Not sure I'd have kept it. Couple bits made me cry.

Not a story spoiler but putting this in spoiler quotes anyway.

I liked the Meryl Streep sequence/song ok (that's not the reference I mentioned above), but during the segment, I remembered that Meryl Street and Emily Blunt had worked together on "The Devil Wears Prada" (I love that film.), and that has been generally regarded as Emily Blunt's breakout role, and I just marveled at how much Emily Blunt's career has blossomed since then. I love her.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Aquaman" - I liked the film ok, but it didn't wow me. I still think that what DC films suffer from are lack of better scripts and more well-developed actors. I thought Nicole Kidman was terrific, even with lines that were awkward, but I believed her. There were others with lines that just completely didn't mean anything because their delivery wasn't great. I think I have a bias against the film as well because I loved Aquaman in Super Friends in my Saturday morning cartoon days as a kid, and I couldn't really expect them to make a movie of that version. I never knew anything else about him and don't know about his comic heritage. I just liked that he talked to whales and dolphins and such. One of my thoughts during this film was, "fewer people, more animals", but I'm pretty sure that's not what everyone else wanted.

One spoiler comment along those lines:

I was excited at one point that an orca was being used partly for transportation to go into battle, but I was disappointed that Aquaman wasn't the one riding him.

I found my attention waning at times in the film. At almost 2 1/2 hours, it's a really long film, and I definitely felt it.

It's my second or third favorite of the recent DC films. Wonder Woman is at the top, and I think there was a recent Superman film that I liked, but I don't remember it well enough to know whether to put it or Aquaman second.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Bumblebee" - Liked the movie a lot. I used to watch the Transformers cartoons when I was a kid, so I've always had an affection for them, even though I don't know much about them. I've enjoyed some of the Transformers movies but some of them have been incredibly lacking. This film had a decent plot, lots of humour and lots of heart, and I really like Hailee Steinfeld. I loved her in "True Grit" and "Ender's Game", and she shows that she can do a big action film just as well while she breaks your heart doing it.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Mary Queen of Scots" - Very well done movie. It's being billed as a tour de force by both leading actresses but it's definitely Saoirse Ronan who has the meatier role, and she's fantastic. I'm interested in reading the book that the film is based on.

Think that Ronan needs to be up for an Oscar nod. Really one of the youngest best actresses in her generation there. A lot of films like Aquaman though not had seen it or movies that the audience loves but IMHO, thought was OK. Just not into that fad thing sorry!

April Showers and Easter 2024!

Blog Entries

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse.
    It was good, but know that the animation style kinda makes it look like a comic book jumped onto the big screen. If you are used to Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks films, it takes a bit getting used to.

But a good, solid film that was action filled and funny at times. It could have been a wee bit shorter - it was quite long for an animated film.

DO STAY FOR THE END SCENE... and stay all the way to the end of the credits for the ending song- listen to the lyrics.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"On the Basis of Sex" - Really good movie. Felicity Jones is fantastic.

"Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse" - Really enjoyed the film and coming at the story from a different angle. And as GusMan said, it's very different stylistically. I'm not a comic book person, but I appreciated them bringing the comics to life.

Finally saw "Ralph Breaks the Internet" and enjoyed it very much. And, yes, I now have a certain earworm by a certain British pop star stuck in my head...

Antidote to the above earworm: afternoon tea followed by "Mary Poppins Returns" -- the makings of a lovely afternoon. Loved the movie and the sense that everyone was having such a good time making it. Karen Dotrice's cameo made me laugh. Dick Van Dyke was a joy.

Blog Entries

Avengers: Infinity War. Repeat viewing. Still love it!
    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Thought it was a solid movie. A lot of fun for the family. A solid 8/10.
    Justice League. Blech. Did not care for it. Not one bit. Only decent character in the whole thing was Wonder Woman. 4/10. And thats being generous.
    Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. (Netflix) While not your ordinary movie... this one is well worth the watch. If you are fan of the Black Mirror series, you will surely want to watch it. It is an interactive movie, so dont think you are going to just let this one run in the background.

Saw Holmes and Watson yesterday. I love Will Farrell and John C Riley. Talladega Nights and Step Brothers are two of my favorite movies. Usually I love anything with Will Farrell in it. Holmes and Watson was horrible. It was hardly funny at all. I love stupid humor, and this wasn't even that. There was only one scene that I really laughed in. A couple walked out in the middle of the movie. The elder gentleman sitting next to me leaned over to his wife and asked "is this supposed to be a comedy?". That bad.