Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie seen, part 5

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I would be surprised if anyone were to claim that one wouldn't be confused or lost if they haven't seen at least some of the other Marvel movies. A co-worker has only seen "Black Panther", and she wants to see "Infinity War", but she knows, and I've told her, that a lot of story and relationships won't mean anything to her because she hasn't seen the other films. She knows who some of the other characters are but not a lot of them. I'm glad they didn't give a lot of reference in the film. There's no time, and you kind of have to expect that in a joint-cast movie like this, people have to know the prior history.
    Just curious - do you think that it is watchable if you don't know/care about the character's backstories but better if you do - or more or less unwatchable if you don't understand their motivations. I always assumed that it was like some of the Disney Animated comedies where the kids and the adults may both be laughing but for different reasons (only, you know, with action instead of comedy).

I missed Infinity War because my daughter had no interest in seeing it and I had no interest in paying for a ticket that wouldn't be appreciated.

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Just curious - do you think that it is watchable if you don't know/care about the character's backstories but better if you do - or more or less unwatchable if you don't understand their motivations.
    As I mentioned above... I think it would be a benefit to see some of the prior movies in order to understand some of the different roles of the characters. There is no backstory setup at all in Infinity War.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Just curious - do you think that it is watchable if you don't know/care about the character's backstories but better if you do - or more or less unwatchable if you don't understand their motivations. I always assumed that it was like some of the Disney Animated comedies where the kids and the adults may both be laughing but for different reasons (only, you know, with action instead of comedy).
    My wife and son hadn't seen many of the films. They had seen the first Guardians, Spider-man Homecoming, and Black Panther. My wife also saw the first iron Man not too long after it came out. They decided they were interested in seeing Infinity War and they both enjoyed it and said they were generally able to follow the story. I know they missed a lot of the character details, but they felt the story was generally accessible without a lot of the background.

(I've seen all the films except for The Incredible Hulk and Thor: The Dark World.)
    "You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

I know it's technically not a movie, but it is a continuation from the movie series, but the new Cobra Kai series comes out on YouTube Red today. The Karate Kid sage continues!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwwxNbtK6Y

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    As I mentioned above... I think it would be a benefit to see some of the prior movies in order to understand some of the different roles of the characters. There is no backstory setup at all in Infinity War.
    Agree with this. There are some jokes made that reference past events in past movies that probably will be lost if you haven't seen the previous movies.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I think it depends on where you're coming from. If you don't mind not knowing the entire backstory, then it wouldn't be an issue. If it would frustrate you that things that would be happening that you don't understand, then it's probably not a good idea. For the most part, I think the visuals are interesting, and the actors are interesting and good. If you have a passing knowledge of some of the characters simply from hearing about it in entertainment news, then I think that helps. Basically, the story is a bunch of good guys/women are fighting a bunch of bad guys/creatures led by one major baddie. There are a lot of relationships that play out in the film, so you'd miss the impact of that if you don't know backstory. If you haven't seen the first Guardians of the Galaxy, then a bunch of side stories won't make as much of a difference to you. but I think you'll still get something out of it even if you don't get the subtleties.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Winter Wrap Up

Cult of Chucky
    Seed of Chucky

[Princess Celestia]
    You've come such a long, long way
    And I've watched you from that very first day

RBG - I don't really know what to say. I liked it. I'll probably watch it every time I'm flipping through that channels and see it.

Book Club - Meh. The books they read are 50 Shades. Not interested in those books or movies, so this had limited appeal.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Deadpool 2 - Very funny, and it still takes me a while to get used to how meta and breaking fourth wall it is, which I generally don't like. Do not bring your kids or anyone easily offended. I love all the pop culture references. The use of music in this film was phenomenal. And there's a very funny cameo in the film proper.

And yes, there are scenes after the official part of the movie ends. Loved them.

Blog Entries
    Do not bring your kids or anyone easily offended.
    Hopefully people learned from the first movie... heh heh....

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Hopefully people learned from the first movie... heh heh....
    CBNT and I want to see it. However, we will not be watching it together.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Winter Wrap Up

Resident Evil Retribution
    Underworld Blood Wars
    Blumhouse's Truth or Dare
    The Strangers Prey at Night
    Still/Born

[Princess Celestia]

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Solo" - I enjoyed the movie a lot. Like with other films, I only absorb so much on the first round, so I'll need to see it again. There were some *very* nice moments. I thought everyone did a really good job. I was a little disappointed at a particular story point cause I wanted more.

Spoiler about a major plot point:

I hadn't really been paying attention to what the movie was about. I mean, it's Han and Lando and Chewie. What more did I need to know? But I can't believe it never occurred to me that they'd actually tell the story of the Kessel Run. Makes perfect sense. And I was perfectly dressed - I wore my runDisney Kessel Run Challenge shirt because it has a giant picture of the Falcon.

Spoiler about a point very late in the movie:

So, I was happy I hadn't heard about the Darth Maul cameo. I don't know where he came from, though, cause as far as I knew, he died in Phantom Menace. A friend reminded me that Rebels (or was it Clone Wars?) brought him back but then killed him again. It was still a pretty surprising reveal, though. I'm still trying to figure out where in the timeline the majority of this fits.

Like with infinity War, it means I can now read all of the articles I've been saving about the movie so as not to get anything spoiled.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Winter Wrap Up

Halloween 1978

[Princess Celestia]

"Solo" - I enjoyed the movie a lot. Like with other films, I only absorb so much on the first round, so I'll need to see it again. There were some *very* nice moments. I thought everyone did a really good job. I was a little disappointed at a particular story point cause I wanted more.

Like with infinity War, it means I can now read all of the articles I've been saving about the movie so as not to get anything spoiled.
    Solo here as well. I liked it, though I may have a reservation or 2 about where things may go in the future of Disney SW movies.

Response on your second spoiler point:

I'm not sure I like the whole Darth Maul thing either. I didn't follow Rebels, or even Clone Wars, but I knew about the whole claiming he survived and giving him mechanical legs. I think when he stands up you can tell the legs are meant to show that. I'm guessing the whole timeline is supposed to be maybe 5-10 years before Rogue One or ANH. They mention Scariff somewhere in this movie, so clearly it's before the completion of the DS and all of that. With Han being supposedly ~ 10 years (I'm estimating - if there is a canon fact of the age difference, I confess I don't know it off the top of my head) older than Luke/Leia, I think that makes sense. I think it's very intentional for us to assume Han and Chewie are on their way to link up doing smuggling work for Jabba at the end of the movie. Give them a few years of doing that and then the job Han was doing when he got "sidetracked" with the events of the original trilogy, and the years could make sense. Back to the Darth Maul thing, I wonder if Disney is planning on spin offs based on that. Qu'ira (spelling?) going off to meet him, play off what DM is actually doing, now that the "2" Sith are Vader and Palpatine, etc. I half wonder if they intend to link DM to Snoke to tie the stand alone series into the new trilogy. If they do, I'm not sure if I like that or not. I half want to see the non-trilogy movies stand on their own, but I suspect there is at least one sequel related to this movie (or it's characters) probably likely.

Sorry. I went off your original though a little with that.
    -Dave

Winter Wrap Up

Insidious 2

[Princess Celestia]

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Ocean's 8" - I hadn't seen any of the previous films in the franchise, but the trailer for this one looked really good. For the most part, I enjoyed the movie. The set-up was a bit slow, since they had to set up so many components. Really enjoyed the performances overall. Anne Hathaway was fabulous.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Incredibles 2" - Fantastic movie. They did an amazing job with it. I've never really been a fan of the franchise. I've only seen the first film once, when it first came out. Last week, I decided I needed to watch it again so that I'd be prepped for the sequel. There must have been something happening when I first saw the movie because I literally remembered almost nothing of what I saw. I had missed fairly vital plot points and setups the first time around. I actually enjoyed the film this time. Great, I was ready for the sequel. Absolutely loved it. Captured the same feel without being same-old-same-old. Some really hysterical parts. My favorite line and scene:

Favorite line - "Don't fire the baby in the house.

Favorite scene - Violet with water literally coming out of her nose at the diner.

And I thought they did a wonderful job with all the stuff with Jack-Jack. That could have gotten too cutesy or overdone but it wasn't. I was laughing so much during parts of the film that body parts started to hurt.

The short before the film, "Bao", was cute in bits but went places that really shocked me.

Winter Wrap Up

ExitUs: Play it Backwards #Exorcismo

[Princess Celestia]

Blog Entries

Solo.
    I really liked it. I thought it was a real good origin story that actually had a good first story.

Winter Wrap Up

My Little Pony the Movie 2017

[Princess Celestia]

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom" - Generally, I enjoyed the movie. There are dinosaurs! And there were some pretty spectacular fight scenes. I didn't care for some of the plot points, and there seemed a lot less for Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard to do. I still haven't decided if I like her as an actress yet. There's one bit in a chyron that I found pretty hysterical. Overall, the movie was fun. Since they've already announced a third film, it'll be interesting to see where they go next given the ending of this film.

Winter Wrap Up

A Horrible Way to Die

[Princess Celestia]

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

I found the dialogue, especially in the beginning hard to get through. I liked it the least of all the films, probably because of the location where most of it takes place. But I also thought they tried to cram so much in it that there were giant holes as they moved from one thing to another. And it lacked a lot of suspense I'd expect. I guess since there are dinosaurs it's better to see it on the big screen. But I'm not sure, I walked out pretty unimpressed.

Won't You Be My Neighbor

I never realized or maybe didn't remember that Mister Rogers was polarizing until people started being excited or offended by the existence of this. I liked it. I liked RBG more, but that wouldn't stop me from seeing this one again eventually. I will say that if you thought the pace of his shows were slow or you didn't like the puppets, you will probably be pretty frustrated with this one.

Winter Wrap Up

Halloween 1 & 2

[Princess Celestia]