Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Last movie seen, part 5

Read Everything-Assume Nothing
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Watched Say Anything again.
    Such a good movie. Stands the test of time. Had a blast reciting lines along with the movie with my daughter.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

2. # ADS

Rebel Wilson only good thing in "Isn't It Romantic" 5/10!. Wait for DVD!

Easter Risen!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Watched Say Anything again.
    Such a good movie. Stands the test of time. Had a blast reciting lines along with the movie with my daughter.
    “Kickboxing. Sport of the future.”

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    "How to Train Your Dragon: Hidden World" - I enjoyed the film but I didn't think it was as good as the first two, both of which I loved. I also wish the ending had been a little different, omitting the very end of the film.
    The ad for Universal Parks & Resorts? But seriously, I think I agree about the ending and will elaborate in a spoiler.

I expected it to fade to credits after Toothless allowed the kids to place their hands on his head. The following scene with them all flying with the dragons seemed superfluous to me.
    "You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Greta" - I was really looking forward to this film because the trailer caught my attention, and I really like Isabelle Huppert. I think I would have liked the movie better had I not already known about 2/3rd of the story from the trailer. I did like the movie generally and there are some nice turns if you haven't already seen the trailer many times.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot.

Yep. That happened.

The plot itself moves pretty slowly, but, spoiler alert, the movie features Hitler and Bigfoot.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Fighting with my Family" - Based on a true story and taken from an Academy Award winning documentary. I really liked this film. I realized afterward that I did watch some wresting when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure it was pre-WWE and even pre-WWF. But I don't think you have to have any knowledge or interest in wrestling to enjoy this film. The acting is superb all around, and the events would be completely unbelievable if most of it weren't actually true. I keep hearing people lamenting the lack of available family films. This is a terrific family film, teaching you to believe in yourself, working for your goals, and the power of having a family that supports you.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

"Fighting with my Family" This is a terrific family film, teaching you to believe in yourself, working for your goals, and the power of having a family that supports you.
    I'm so glad that you liked this movie! It's on my relatively short list of films I want to see. Now I just need to find/make the time...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Captain Marvel" - Overall, I liked the film. It felt a little slow at times, but it's a very talky film, much more than the other MCU films, and I wasn't expecting that. But there's a lot to unpack and figure out and discover in this film. I'll probably enjoy it more the next time I see it, now that I know the pacing is different in this film. That's not to say there aren't a lot of terrific action sequences as well. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy again last weekend to refresh my memory about the Kree, and that helped to situate me a bit. I really like Annette Bening, but her performance seemed off a few times to me. Same with Brie Larson, who I like but there were a few moments when I didn't believe her performance. Will have to see how I feel next time I see it. Really liked seeing a different side to Nick Fury. And, not surprisingly, I loved Goose the cat, who has his own Twitter emoji!

And this is another of those films where my advice is don't leave until they show the ratings card or turn the projector off. It amazes me that so many people still leave an MCU movie before the very end.

Spoiler comment about a plot point:

I've seen some complaints about the explanation for Fury's inoperative eye. I loved how that played out. Yeah, Fury is tough and has been through so many bad battles, so he must have had his eye taken in some horrible fight. Nope. Mostly a mundane, off-the-cuff event. That's how life works sometimes. Simple everyday life sometimes gives you major curveballs. And besides, Goose isn't JUST a cat.

Oh, and my brain making weird connections has decided that Captain America is uncle to Captain Marvel because Chris Evans played McKenna Grace's uncle in a terrific film called Gifted, and McKenna Grace plays a young Carol in this.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Also saw Captain Marvel. Thought it was a great movie, while at the same time I have to agree with much of what cstephens mentioned above. There was an AHA moment where the backstory and current timeline clicked, which set the stage for the rest of the film. I give it a solid 8.5/10.

And as for the credit scenes.... 90% of the crowd was still there for the first one.
    30% was there for the last one.

I wish people would learn.

Also... The Blues Brothers - Unrated Edition.
    Ok, This is one of my favorite movies and when I saw this version on Amazon, I had to see what the differences were. To the casual observer, it may not seem like much, but to someone who knows the movie well - there was a lot added. It doesn't really add to the plot or anything like that - but it was including deleted scenes back in. Extended song scenes and some funny stuff that must have hit the cutting room floor.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Amazing film and they didn't pull any punches. As Brian May was one of the executive producers and he and the rest of the band were technical advisors, I feel it was pretty right on. Yes, I cried, a lot. And that Oscar for Best Actor (and the other awards for acting and film) were well well deserved. As I was one who watched Live Aid live when it was aired and watched it mainly for Queen, that scene was amazing. I also didn't realize that Freddie had already been diagnosed with AIDS when he performed at it. I always wondered why he did the extra emphasis on "I thank you all" when he sang We Are The Champions during that performance. Now I know. Again, amazing film and performance.

ETA: I saw a side by side comparison of the actual Live Aid performance and the film's version. It was pretty much a step by step, look by look, movement by movement exact replica.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

Captain Marvel, I am not that impressed with this movie. Hoping that The Avengers: Endgame will be beautiful enough as I look forward to seeing it on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkPearlCptn View Post
    I also didn't realize that Freddie had already been diagnosed with AIDS when he performed at it. I always wondered why he did the extra emphasis on "I thank you all" when he sang We Are The Champions during that performance. Now I know.
    In reality he wasn't. They changed that for the movie.

If you search Bohemian Rhapsody inaccuracies there are a lot. Major ones, and much more than your typical biopic.

Us.

I don't really love horror movies, but I went (alone! ) anyway. There are some jump scares in the beginning. It wasn't particularly gory, but there is blood. I talked to some people afterwards who said they should have seen Captain Marvel again instead. I've already seen that twice. There isn't anything else out now I really want to see, so I'm not mad I saw it opening weekend.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Us - Our group of five went together on Sunday morning so that it would still be light out when we got it. Overall, I enjoyed the film, though there are many layers to unpack. I'm kind of interested in seeing it again now that I know everything that happens, to see how I might view things differently, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that. I think I enjoyed Get Out more but I think Get Out isn't quite as complicated as this film. I do love the humour that's sprinkled throughout the film, but when we talked about the film afterward, our group was in agreement on being confused that more people in the theatre didn't laugh at the funny bits. Weird.

Saw Wonder Park. 8/10 As really cute movie and kind of sad!

Easter Risen!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Wonder Park" - It was ok, kind of simple. I was surprised that there was a plot point in the movie that wasn't even hinted at in the trailers, which was refreshing. I surprised myself by being able to recognize two of the voices before reading their names in the credits. I missed a third one that I really should have recognized, though. A friend asked me what I thought (he has a young-ish child), and I said that I wasn't sure I could recommend paying full price for this.

I wanted to take JB to Wonder Park but several people have mentioned it being sad. Now I am thinking we should skip it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee73 View Post
    I wanted to take JB to Wonder Park but several people have mentioned it being sad. Now I am thinking we should skip it.
    It depends on how old your kid is and what their temperament is. The family sitting next to me had a couple very young (under 3) children, and at one point, one or two of them got very upset and started crying and had to be taken out of the theatre.

In case you want to know, but be warned that it's a spoiler, here's what the kids were likely upset by:

What's not mentioned in the trailer is that the reason the daughter stops working on the amusement park is that it's something she did with her mother. Her mother is struck by an unnamed but very serious, implying possibly fatal, illness, and mom has to go away for treatment, with no indication if or when she will return. The park is left in disarray and some bad things happen because of the neglect.

And here's a further spoiler followup to the spoiler above:

Mom does recover and returns to the family in the end.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I saw Captain Marvel again today, and I liked it much more this time. I appreciated the unfolding of the story, the discovery of events and circumstances as she learns them, and I really liked even more the friendship between Carol and Maria. A couple of their scenes together had me in tears this time as I understood the great friendship that they had and what Maria had lost and what was taken from Carol. I liked Annette Bening more this time, and I appreciated more the choices that Brie Larson made. The issues I had with some parts of her performance are attributable to the difference between the person that she's playing at the time. She behaves slightly differently when she's Carol vs. when she's Vers, as well as after she discovers the truth about herself and her situation. I really loved the whole story between Carol and Maria (two women who are friends, who support each other, who aren't in unhealthy competition with each other), and between Carol and Monica. I hope Monica comes into play in a future film, whether it's End Game or something else. They've certainly set that up. And I really loved that there was no love interest side story in this film.

Oh, and I clarified and learned more about Goose. I also watched pretty closely after reading that Brie Larson is deathly allergic to cats. I'm pretty sure there were a couple instances of hand doubles for her, and some CGI cat going on in two scenes with her and Goose.

It depends on how old your kid is and what their temperament is. The family sitting next to me had a couple very young (under 3) children, and at one point, one or two of them got very upset and started crying and had to be taken out of the theatre.

In case you want to know, but be warned that it's a spoiler, here's what the kids were likely upset by:

What's not mentioned in the trailer is that the reason the daughter stops working on the amusement park is that it's something she did with her mother. Her mother is struck by an unnamed but very serious, implying possibly fatal, illness, and mom has to go away for treatment, with no indication if or when she will return. The park is left in disarray and some bad things happen because of the neglect.

And here's a further spoiler followup to the spoiler above:

Mom does recover and returns to the family in the end.
    Thank you so much for your candor and the spoilers bc I did know there was something with mom but not the degree. I have a very emotionally invested 6 year old so I think skipping this one will be better in the long term. Thank you for saving me from potential tears.

I'm not really a comic book reader so I don't know the specifics, but I've seen a couple of articles about Captain Marvel that have mentioned that Monica Rambeau is a pretty significant character in the comics. The character would be in her 30s in the current continuity of the non-prequel films.

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"The Best of Enemies" - One of the rare times (I wish it could happen more often) seeing a movie without knowing anything about it. I saw the title, I saw who the two leads were, I saw the poster, and I decided I was interested. It's a bit long, though probably by necessity, because a lot has to unfold. It's based on a true story. Terrific performances by both Taraji P. Henson and Sam Rockwell. I feel like Sam Rockwell has done a lot of very similar roles in the last few years, so I'd like to see him do something a little different. Taraji has shown very nice range in her recent roles.

ETA: Rockwell is about to play Bob Fosse on TV, which would be a very different role. I'm interested but not sure if I'll watch.

"The Best of Enemies" - One of the rare times (I wish it could happen more often) seeing a movie without knowing anything about it. I saw the title, I saw who the two leads were, I saw the poster, and I decided I was interested. It's a bit long, though probably by necessity, because a lot has to unfold. It's based on a true story. Terrific performances by both Taraji P. Henson and Sam Rockwell. I feel like Sam Rockwell has done a lot of very similar roles in the last few years, so I'd like to see him do something a little different. Taraji has shown very nice range in her recent roles.

ETA: Rockwell is about to play Bob Fosse on TV, which would be a very different role. I'm interested but not sure if I'll watch.
    My absolutely favorite Rockwell role is Guy in Galaxy Quest. He absolutely stole every single scene he was in.
    Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

Has anyone seen Missing Link yet? Trying to determine if it is toddler (6 yr old) friendly. If anyone has any insights, please post. TIA