Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Last movie seen, part 5

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    So I'm wondering if this movie will be similar. Your response is making me think it might be.
    I saw the movie again last night so was able to pay more attention to what might count as strobe. I don't entirely understand what the triggers are, whether one flash would trigger or if it would need to be multiple flashes, so I don't know that I can explain it well enough. There are various places where it would be the equivalent of being in a dark room while there was a lightning storm outside. Some bursts are pretty sporadic, but some bursts are more intense and more frequent. If one or a couple flashes don't trigger, then it might be possible to close your eyes as soon as you see one or two flashes. There's a scene that's probably 10 or 15 minutes long that you'd probably have to close your eyes at, and you'd miss that scene of course, but hearing it might give you enough idea of what's going on, versus missing the entire movie. If one or two flashes automatically triggers the reaction, then I think the movie would be problematic in parts.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

白蛇:緣起
    Била једном једна земља/Подземље

Die Hard. My favorite Christmas movie.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Bombshell - I went mostly because I heard the performances were good. They did not disappoint. Charlize Theron was especially good and disappeared into her role.

Cats - Yep, I'd heard the criticisms, and there were definitely some mis-steps, but I generally enjoyed the film. I'm wondering if the negative reactions are from people who have never seen and know nothing about the show. It's a very stylized show. It was a very stylized movie. It's people pretending to be cats. Yeah, I can see how that can be weird for some people, but it's what it's advertised to be.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I saw the movie again last night so was able to pay more attention to what might count as strobe. I don't entirely understand what the triggers are, whether one flash would trigger or if it would need to be multiple flashes, so I don't know that I can explain it well enough. There are various places where it would be the equivalent of being in a dark room while there was a lightning storm outside. Some bursts are pretty sporadic, but some bursts are more intense and more frequent. If one or a couple flashes don't trigger, then it might be possible to close your eyes as soon as you see one or two flashes. There's a scene that's probably 10 or 15 minutes long that you'd probably have to close your eyes at, and you'd miss that scene of course, but hearing it might give you enough idea of what's going on, versus missing the entire movie. If one or two flashes automatically triggers the reaction, then I think the movie would be problematic in parts.
    Thank you. This is very helpful. I have more trouble with things like the flash photos on dark rides, e.g. Space Mt., so I think closing my eyes for the longer scene and having Mr. Tea describe it later if I think I missed something important should be fine.

My BFF saw it 2x. She has a sensitivity to strobe lights among other things. She did not notice the strobes while watching the movie the first time, but the 2nd time she watched the movie in 3D and was triggered slightly by the strobes. She said the one scene was much worse than the other but she was happy her husband was there to drive her and their son home after. She was well aware of it prior and she did not feel it was as bad as the warning made it out to be but those people that are highly sensitive should definitely avoid those particular scenes. I would suggest that if possible see it in a regular movie setting rather than the 3D or make sure you have someone to accompany you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cabin Fever 2 Spring Fever

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Little Women - I really enjoyed this movie, though a particular storytelling device they used made me momentarily confused at times before I got my bearings.

1917 - I liked the movie for the most part. However, while I'd heard about the particular shooting style in this film, I somehow did not interpret that it would then involve 2 hours of hand-held camerawork, which did not go well with my pervasive nausea.

Thanks for the warning on the camera work on 1917. It was on my "possibly interested" list, but I came close to having to leave the theater during "First Man" because the handheld camerawork was making me nauseated. If I see this one at all, probably better to see it at home where I can pause it easily.

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

I found the shaky camera shots and lens flares in First Man distracting. I did not feel that way about 1917 at all. Part of it may be that knowing it is going to seem like a continuous shot, you can anticipate when the camera is going to pass someone's shoulder or be forced to pan. I didn't find the movements shaky at all compared to First Man. I did site close to the screen in 1917. Maybe that helped.

Another shaky camera work avoider here. Not worth the nausea. I actually got motion sickness during a French film that depended heavily on hand held camera work -- not fun. So now, we read dependable reviews and skip the movies that sound problematic.
    Finally saw "Frozen 2" last night. Thought it was a better movie, improved story and character development, liked the music better, loved the animation (the clothing! the forest!).

Lucky Luke and the Ballad of the Daltons
    The Lion the Witch and the Wardrope 1979
    Fritz the Cat

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Another shaky camera work avoider here. Not worth the nausea. I actually got motion sickness during a French film that depended heavily on hand held camera work -- not fun. So now, we read dependable reviews and skip the movies that sound problematic.
    I was feeling pretty awful by the time the movie was over. The last time I felt that sick after seeing a movie was probably Cloverfield. In the case of 1917, it wasn't the same kind of handheld motion as Cloverfield or what I've heard about Blair Witch Project. It's often from the point of view of someone following along with the main characters, so it's continuous motion with no obvious edits. Part of my problem was that I was watching pretty intently to see where the edit cheats might be, and I was also involved in the events of the film, so it wasn't until about an hour in that I started to notice how badly I was feeling and what was causing it. At that point, I changed the way I watched the film to try to mitigate the effects and so I wouldn't feel worse. Like with scary/gory movies, I focus on looking a couple feet past the bottom of the screen, so I don't get the full effect of what's happening on-screen, but my peripheral vision is still catching enough so that I know what's going on, and I can glance up periodically if something catches my attention that I actually want to see.

Melody Time, on Disney+. Had never seen it before. Loved the jazzy standards! More so than the quaint fables. Tho' as a Disneyland geek, it was interesting to hear the extended story about Pecos Bill and Slue Foot Sue.

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Narnia 1979
    Deathly Hallows 1
    Desolation of Smaug

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Just Mercy - I thought the film was very well done. I hesitate to say I "enjoyed" the film only because it made me so angry to see everything that happened. I'm glad that in the end, justice was served, but is it really justice when you can't give back so many years of a man's life? And while this one case ended better than it could have, the film makes clear that there are countless others for whom justice was never and will never be served.

Michael B. Jordan has turned into a terrific actor, but I still marvel at the fact that I've been watching him since he played Reggie on All My Children oh so many years ago.

Dawn of the Dead 1978
    Dawn of the Dead 2004
    Diary of the Dead
    Day of the Dead 2008
    Drawn Together the Movie
    Teen Titans Go to the Movies
    South Park Bigger Longer & Uncut
    My Little Pony Rainbow Roadtrip
    Equestria Girls Spring Breakdown
    It 2017
    It Chapter 2
    The Dark Knight

Troop Zero on Amazon Prime. Just an amazing film. Great acting by the kids and the adults. I was expecting a comedy, and while it has it's funny moments, it also has those moments that grab at your heart. Well worth a watch and highly highly recommend.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

JoJo Rabbit -- really good movie! Great performances, and very good work from the kids. Mr. Tea found it to be very moving, especially by things that caught him off guard.

The Gentlemen - It's one of those movies where you're supposed to root for the most honorable among thieves. I didn't find any worthy enough to care. Not Guy Ritchie's best.

Toy Story 2 & 4
    Frozen
    Cars 1 & 2
    Up
    The Lego Movie 2

Last edited by Scamp2019; 02-10-2020 at 12:24 AM.