Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie seen, part 5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Last movie seen, part 5

We saw Deadpool on Saturday. Yep, definitely not the kind of superhero movie you're used to seeing. I didn't think the sex was as bad as I had expected it to be, but the violence and gore were definitely off the chart. Yes, there was a lot of swearing, but it didn't seem out of place or invasive - just part of the normal dialogue. I cringed a lot at the violence and laughed a lot at the various lines. I enjoyed the film.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Thumbs down Deadpool

I went to see Deadpool as a guest of someone who had bought tickets. I would not have gone on my own, and my viewing confirmed that this is not my idea of an enjoyable film. I've reached my limit to the excessive violence and gore. The jokes were juvenile. The only character I liked was the bartender played by TJ Miller. I couldn't help thinking of the Aziz Ansari's discussion of stereotypical roles on Master of None after seeing the Indian cab driver.

I also saw Deadpool. I didn't see the trailer, but the plot was pretty much laid out in the clips I saw at Comic-Con, so in that sense it moved a little slow. I didn't expect a lot and it didn't disappoint. But I have to admit I was a little bit more excited to see the Comic-Con panel than the movie by the time it came out. There was a video intro that played before the panel that was hilarious and then when it came time to promote the movie there really hasn't been anything that enticing. I don't know how else they could have promoted the movie, but the one group they really seem to be attracting is kids. There were little kids in the lobby clamoring around the displays getting really excited to see it. I didn't think there was anything shocking to an adult, but I don't think it's for kids, either.

Thanks for the head's up about the gore in Deadpool. I hadn't planned on seeing it as the trailers just didn't do anything for me an I'm not a real fan of the comic. But since everyone else was seeing it I was going to give it a go. Definitely not now. I don't do gore..period. My idea of a good time at the movies does not include throwing up repeatedly because of the gore on screen. Yup I have the worlds weakest stomach. So glad I decided to wait.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Brooklyn" - What a fantastic movie. Direction, cinematography, writing, acting, all of it, terrific. Loved the movie.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Hail Caesar if you like quirky movies, it is one to see 8/10!

April Showers and Easter 2024!

"Pixels" If you are an 80's fan and spent a lot of time in arcades (like I did) Then this is the film for you. Had a blast identifying the video games and 80's pop icons. Laughed till we literally cried in places. Watching Peter Dinklage chew up the scenery is worth watching alone. Definitely a Sat afternoon with a big bucket of popcorn type of movie. Will be adding it to our collection

"Only Yesterday" -- what a quiet gem. It was originally released by Studio Ghibli in 1991, but took this long to arrive in the U.S. A beautifully done film about growing up, both in childhood and as an adult, and connecting childhood memories to grown up choices. The childhood memories and emotions are so relatable, so universal in spite of cultural differences. Daisy Ridley dubbed the main character's voice, but we saw the subtitiled version. Hoping the DVD comes out soon so we can hear how she interpreted the character.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

Allegiant, the latest Divergent series movie.

Now, I haven't gone to the Twilight, Hunger Games, or Divergent movies expecting greatness. Mostly I'm interested in seeing how they get adapted to film.

Twilight - Three books where each is mildly worse than the previous. Turned into four movies of reasonably consistent quality (meaning progressively better than the corresponding book).

The Hunger Games - Three books where each both is massively worse than the previous (and starts from a reasonably low bar in the first one). Turned into four movies where I think each got a little bit better.

Divergent Series - Three execrable books. First movie was ok, second movie was forgettable. I can't believe how inept this latest movie is. I can accept cliche but just so dang boring.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I rented The Hunger Games - Mockingjay: Part 2.
    Seemed longer than it was... with a lot of predictable parts.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Went to see "Superman vs. Batman" last night. There were parts I liked and parts I didn't like. Not sure which won out. I was mostly very confused. Oh, and for entirely different reasons than for "Deadpool", but this isn't really the kind of superhero movie you'd want to take your kids to. I'm not sure it would be traumatic, but most of the themes are generally adult enough that they might not even really understand it.

I think I liked the second half of the movie better than the first half, and it's a very long movie, 2 1/2 hours plus. I thought the first half was very disjointed, jumping around a lot, and it pretty much presupposes that you know the entire backstory of both characters. The thought "style over substance" popped into my head a few times, where the directing and composition choices were very stylized but I didn't think the plot was particularly there. I thought it got better as the movie developed, and usually, that's because they've spent the first part of the movie introducing you to new characters and situations, but since that didn't happen here, I think that's what made it more unexpected. There's a part of the movie where I was a bit frustrated and annoyed that I couldn't understand what a character was saying because of the trappings of the circumstances of that character. I have no idea who that character was, and I couldn't hear most of what they said, and I have no idea how it fit into the story. It made me want to read the script to fill in those holes.

For me, the best thing about the movie were two stellar acting jobs. Jesse Eisenberg was incredible. The subtleties and nuances were amazing, and he did a lot with a character that we know fairly well. Amy Adams was also really good. Even though I don't think they always gave her good stuff to do, I always believed her and was interested in her.

My absolutely favorite bit was so partly because it came as a surprise.

I'd known Clark Kent's mom was in the movie because I'd seen Diane Lane's name in the opening credits. But the scene where Clark is talking to his father was pretty incredible. As soon as I realized who it was that Clark saw on that mountain top, I melted a little, and I'm not even particularly a fan of Superman. I haven't always been a fan of Kevin Costner, but I thought he did a really good job as Clark's dad in the last Superman movie. And I loved the scene between the two of them in this film, and it was crushing to see how much Clark missed him and needed him, and that in the turmoil he was going through, it was his dad that his mind brought up.

I thought some of the major themes were really interesting, and in particular as it related to Batman, I wanted to see more of that. But I think they tried to do too much in this film, weaving in too many things, so none of them were given their full due, and that doesn't even include the role that Wonder Woman plays in the film.

Oh, one point I didn't understand about something Lex was involved in.

I thought he was going to bring General Zod back to life, but he apparently was only using the body for raw materials, to be combined with his own blood to create that thing. That confused me. The ship's computer voice said something about a deformity or something that was forbidden, but it wasn't explained enough to my satisfaction, so again, confused.

I thought Ben Affleck was ok in this film. I'd read an interview a couple weeks ago about his take on the character, and I liked it because it was a little different. There was definitely that, a much darker side to him than we've seen in Batman, but I'd have liked to have seen more of that. I was excited at that same time when I found out Jeremy Irons was playing Alfred. Very different person than we've seen before.

I thought Henry Cavill was ok too, but even though much of the story is about him, it's more specifically about what other people think of him, so I didn't think he had as much to do. One thing that annoyed me about his character development, in spoilers.

One of the debates in the film is how Superman's role as hero and savior of the world fits in with his role as boyfriend to Lois Lane. The last time he saves her, from drowning, it actually annoyed me. He's fighting this monstrous creature from his own world, created by a monster of sorts from his adopted world, and he has to take a time-out to go save Lois yet again, like Lassie having to rescue Timmy from the well for the umpteenth time. I get that it leads to the recovery of the last bit of kryptonite, but I would have liked that to have been arrived at without Lois being yet again the damsel in distress. She's a savvy, confident, capable woman, but that gets thrown out the window when she needs to be rescued so often.

I liked Gal Gadot in this film, and I'm actually now interested in seeing the Wonder Woman film. This is definitely not your Lynda Carter Wonder Woman. I knew I recognized her from stuff I'd seen but couldn't place her. I just looked her up, and I knew her from the Fast and Furious franchise. I liked her in those a lot.

Holly Hunter - Her physical appearance in this film concerns me. She looks unhealthily skinny. And her speech pattern has always bothered me and still does.

And now that I've seen the film, I can read the reviews and reactions from others.

The Holiday. Nice light rom com. Relaxing for a Saturday.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries

Saw Captain America: Civil War over the weekend.

I really enjoyed the movie. I would really like to see it again. Will be an add to my BR collection for sure.

However, I am not sure if it was the 4K DLP projector the theater was using or something else, but it just seemed like the cinematography was very unstable.
    Action scenes seemed very jittery, which made it hard to watch at times. (2D IMAX.)

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

The opening sequence of Civil War was very shaky. I actually got a bit of a headache watching it. I remember though, that Winter Soldier was the same way with its opening action sequence. Both seemed to get better after that though.

Interstellar - Finally got around to seeing this. Obviously wished I'd seen it on an IMAX screen! Epic, ambitious story. Wonky dialogue at times. Hard to follow, but I went with it. Enjoyed it, and then became much more impressed with the film after watching the bonus features and discovering how the filmmakers devoted themselves to present as much factual reality to it as possible.

X-Men: Apocalypse - Good not great. Like Batman v Superman, very ambitious but the pacing dragged for me, especially throughout most of the first act. I liked both films, but was disappointed more with this film than BvS. I'm sure not everyone would agree with me on that.

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Dallas Buyers Club. It was a good movie, but emotionally stressful. In retrospect, perhaps not best to watch just before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries

Deadpool.
    Nope - not for kids. R rated for many reasons. One of the most violent movies Ive ever managed to watch all the way through.
    But now I have a never ending supply of one liners insults that I can modify to make a bit cleaner.

But overall, a pretty good movie.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Finally had a chance to see X-Men: Apocalypse. I really enjoyed it, but I couldn't help thinking about the difference between this film and the last Marvel film, Civil War. Civil War focussed a great deal on the collateral damage of innocent bystanders. The body count on this film was fairly high, without batting an eye, even when it was fairly up close and personal because of two particular characters. Unfortunately, because I ended up not seeing this until well after it was released, a particular appearance had already been spoiled for me, but it was still fun to watch. I wasn't that keen on Oscar Isaac in Force Awakens. I liked him much better in this, though of course, he had much more to do.

"Love and Friendship" -- loved Whit Stillman (great job with direction and screenplay), loved seeing Kate Beckinsale back with Chloe Sevigny (takes me back to when I saw "Metropolitan" for the first time). Snark and sarcasm galore. Kate Beckinsale would make a great Disney villain.

Finding Dory.

I fell asleep. Dory wasn't my favorite part of Finding Nemo (the aquarium scenes were), but it was the next movie starting when I got to the theater, so I paid $17.50 to see it in 3-D and have a nice nap. I don't know, there were some new characters that were entertaining enough in small doses, but it seemed much more forced than Nemo. The kids in the theater laughed exactly twice, which seemed low because there were clearly some parts that were trying to be funny. I spent most of the movie looking for Easter eggs because there weren't any surprises in the plot and the outcome was never in doubt. I liked the short at the beginning and kind of wished something like that had been part of the movie. Because Nemo finding his way and overcoming Marlin's overprotectiveness and Marlin overcoming his own fears to find Nemo is part of what drives the first one. There is also a post credits scene that I'd recommend staying around for. But honestly, if you end up renting this one, I don't think you'll be disappointed that you missed it in the theater.

The Big Short - A coworker recommended it during a meeting today (I'm a geek in the mortgage industry). Tonight happened to be a library night, and I found it on the rack. It was fate. I've never before felt the desire to take notes during a movie. And I learned some things. But now I'm mad and a little depressed and it's bedtime. Sweet dreams!

"The Music of Strangers: Yo Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble" -- really enjoyed this movie. So interesting to watch people express their passion for what they do and why. It becomes even more amazing when you bring together people from different cultures searching for a common denominator.

Hail Caesar
    I'm a fan of classic Hollywood and behind the scenes stuff so really looked forward to this comedy. Well still not sure if what I watched. To say this film was disjointed and beyond weird is an understatement. Had all my favorite actors. But it that is two hours of my life I will never get back. It was like a bad wreck that you wanted to look away from but was riveted instead by its awfulness. Soooo disapointed

Ghostbusters 3D

Yes, please. It was scarier than the first one. I think it was also funnier. It's definitely worth the extra money to see it in 3D. IMAX too, if available. Even the credits were entertaining, and there's. A scene at the end.

Sixteen Candles. I guess I'm kind of on a Molly Ringwald kick. I'll see if the library has Pretty in Pink.